S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

It's not a stupid question. Conditions are different indoors and affect the ball and players differently. Someone can go further and explain more.

For example indoor Wimbledon is not the same conditions as indoor Bercy or Melbourne.
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
country flag Paylu2007

Paylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond repute

No wind = less friction for the ball to travel or switch direction. Thus, u have to rely on ur tennis skills (yes, real tennis skills, no moonballing included) to win matches.

Humidity plays an important role on that too.

besides, when roof is closed, your prayers cant reach God that fast, so its only you in course, nobody else
Paylu2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

One of the biggest differences is that indoor courts have a more true bounce. Many outdoor courts are a bit uneven/imperfect due to weather and simply getting a lot of wear and tear and sometimes poor maintenance.

Indoor courts on the other hand are more protected and it's easier to keep both the actual surface and the lines in perfect condition.

This also favors a skilled player as you can play with smaller margins.

I also want to add that just because you put a roof over Wimbledons CC doesn't mean it's a real indoor court. It's somewhere inbetween. It's an outdoor court with a roof over and practically indoor conditions in terms of no wind, different humidity etc but not true indoor because then everything should be adapted to only be played indoors.

Last edited by MaxPower : 07-02-2012 at 06:19 PM.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paylu2007 View Post
Thus, u have to rely on ur tennis skills (yes, real tennis skills, no moonballing included) to win matches.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paylu2007 View Post
No wind = less friction for the ball to travel or switch direction. Thus, u have to rely on ur tennis skills (yes, real tennis skills, no moonballing included) to win matches.

Humidity plays an important role on that too.

besides, when roof is closed, your prayers cant reach God that fast, so its only you in course, nobody else

this thread should stay in GM, mods.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
country flag SVK

SVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond repute

SQ #2...Why the scoring in a game is 15/30/40 and how it was created?
SVK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #8

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

SQ# 3: What roof closes faster: Rod Laver Arena or Wimbledon's Center Court?
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
SQ# 3: What roof closes faster: Rod Laver Arena or Wimbledon's Center Court?
AO's final had a break because they had to close the roof, and it didn't last extremely long. Of course they don't have the dew problem as it's hardcourt, but IIRC the roof closed faster than at Wimby.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

RLA can open and close 27 times in the time it takes CC to close half way
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

Thanks HC and August.

SQ # 4: Why is getting roofs for all major slam courts (3 show courts in every slam) not possible considering the organizations that rule each slam have plenty of money? Shouldn't it have been done by now?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
Thanks HC and August.

SQ # 4: Why is getting roofs for all major slam courts (3 show courts in every slam) not possible considering the organizations that rule each slam have plenty of money? Shouldn't it have been done by now?
Say you had tons of money and each year you went to Hawaii for two weeks, do you buy a home in Hawaii or do you rent a super nice one each year and hope it is available the next year?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

SQ # 5: Why did they build Wimbledon next to a residential area?

or

SQ # 5: Why did the residential area get built next to Wimbledon

which ever one applies

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Say you had tons of money and each year you went to Hawaii for two weeks, do you buy a home in Hawaii or do you rent a super nice one each year and hope it is available the next year?
I think you are being very stupid by asking me questions when I asked you a question first. Answer straight please.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
I think we have to number our stupid questions here

I will answer you anyway.

A: I would not go to Hawaii because of threat of Volcanos. Instead I would go to Florida every year and I would buy a house there

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote