Unofficial Live ATP Rankings [in Post #1] - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #271
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unofficial Live ATP Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyesok View Post

This current one will probably be the same, with either Djokovic not retaining the US Open and then Federer will be clear number one until at least WTF, or Djokovic will defend and then inevitabley take number one back not long after, if not already.
or Djokovic winning Cinci and Fed not reaching the final (that's the condition now for Djokovic being number 1 next monday) and then Djokovic getting to number 1 back, then the same thing happens in the US Open, and Djokovic keeps the number 1 probably until the end of the year
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #272
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Yesyesok about your an analysis I laughed about the way you say "very seldom the number 1 is not the true number 1" as it sounds so obvious and indisputable for you that the "real number 1" is the one who has won most grand slams

But when you say that this stat since 2000 "proves the efficiency of the rankings", I have one thinh to say about the significance of that stat :

- in the beginning of the 00s, the usual situation was that the grand slams were shared between players, nobody being the owner of 2 slams : I had checked about this since the beginning of the open era and I think it's interesting to know (esp. for young people who have only known the situation in the last 10 years) that that situation happened approximately one third of the time ; maybe it will happen soon again if Murray or Del Potro wins the US Open ;

- from 2004 to 2007 Fed was so dominant that the same result could be achieved either with grand slams or masters 1000 or whatever.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #273
country flag yesyesok

yesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Yesyesok about your an analysis I laughed about the way you say "very seldom the number 1 is not the true number 1" as it sounds so obvious and indisputable for you that the "real number 1" is the one who has won most grand slams
Bad choice of words I agree,I more mean the most succesful in the past year at the big events.

I didn't watch tennis until the early 2000s so my knowledge of pre millenium is somewhat wikipedia based.
yesyesok is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #274
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyesok View Post
Bad choice of words I agree,I more mean the most succesful in the past year at the big events.
no problem I thought it was sincere : many people think this way

it has been a huge polemics several times in the past : here are the years concerned (since the creation of the ATP rankings in 1973), when in the end of the year, the number 1 in the ATP rankings had won less slams than his followers :

- 1973 : Nastase was number 1 with one slam win, Newcombe had won 2 of them but one of them was the devaluated Australian Open ;
- 1975 : Connors was number 1 with zero slam win, Ashe, Orantes and Borg (+Newcombe in Australia) had won one (Connors had reached Wimbledon and the US Open final) ;
- 1977 : Connors was number 1 with zero slam win, Vilas had won 2 of them (defeating Connors in the US Open final -on clay- and benefitting from Borg and Connors not taking part in the French Open ; Connors had reached Wimbledon and the US Open final and won the Masters cup) ;
- 1978 : Connors was number 1 with 1 slam win, Borg had won 2 of them (Borg had won Wimbledon against Connors ; Connors had won the US Open against Borg ; Connors had not taken part in Roland-Garros which Borg had won) ;
- 1982 : McEnroe was number 1 with zero slam win, Connors had won 2 of them (McEnroe had lost to Connors in Wimbledon final and to Lendl in the US Open semifinal and in the Masters Cup final) ;
- 1989 : Lendl was number 1 with one slam win in the beginning of the year in Australia while Becker had won the last 2 slams of the year (defeating Lendl in both of those slams ; Becker had also reached the Masters final, losing to Edberg, and won the Davis cup winning all of his matches)

Not mentioning the 11 other years since 1973 (1976, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003) where no player had won more than 1 slam and the year-end-number 1 was one of the slam winners but of course where there could be contestations.

And there are still debates about who was the best of the year between 1970 and 1972

Last edited by duong : 08-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #275
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
no problem I thought it was sincere : many people think this way

it has been a huge polemics several times in the past : here are the years concerned (since the creation of the ATP rankings in 1973), when in the end of the year, the number 1 in the ATP rankings had won less slams than his followers :

- 1973 : Nastase was number 1 with one slam win, Newcombe had won 2 of them but one of them was the devaluated Australian Open
- 1975 : Connors was number 1 with zero slam win, Ashe, Orantes and Borg (+Newcombe in Australia) had won one
- 1977 : Connors was number 1 with zero slam win, Vilas had won 2 of them
- 1978 : Connors was number 1 with 1 slam win, Borg had won 2 of them
- 1982 : McEnroe was number 1 with zero slam win, Connors had won 2 of them
- 1989 : Lendl was number 1 with one slam win in the beginning of the year in Australia while Becker had won the last 2 slams of the year

Not mentioning the 11 other years since 1973 (1976, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003) where no player had won more than 1 slam and the year-end-number 1 was one of the slam winners but of course where there could be contestations.

And there are still debates about who was the best of the year between 1970 and 1972
Has any1 ever held 3 slams but wasn't ranked no1? And Vilas(Connors) with 2 slams behind Connors(McEnroe) with 0 =
Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #276
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxyzapenje View Post
Has any1 ever held 3 slams but wasn't ranked no1?
no but this has been a very rare feat in the open era, it has only become quite common recently.

Quote:
And Vilas(Connors) with 2 slams behind Connors(McEnroe) with 0 =
however it was not totally absurd imo : Vilas mostly was a claycourt player in 1977 and Connors had not won much apart from the slams in 1982 contrary to McEnroe

Becker-Lendl's case in 1989 neither was absurd as Lendl had been very good in other tournaments.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #277
country flag swebright

swebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond repute

So, Nole can get back to number #1 if he wins Cincy ? He seems most healthy and fresh as of now.

Who will get Murray in the USO semi? 1-3, 2-4 or 1-4, 2-3 ??
swebright is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #278
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebright View Post
So, Nole can get back to number #1 if he wins Cincy ? He seems most healthy and fresh as of now.
Yes. Only if fed doesn't get to the final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebright View Post
Who will get Murray in the USO semi? 1-3, 2-4 or 1-4, 2-3 ??
Not determined yet.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #279
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has any1 ever held 3 slams but wasn't ranked no1? And Vilas(Connors) with 2 slams behind Connors(McEnroe) with 0 =
i think only happened on women's tour with Serena, don't think it has happened in Men's Tour, She won 2008 US Open, 2009 Aussie and 2009 Wimbledon.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #280
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Updated with the results of August 17th.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #281
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Updated with the live tournaments results of August 18th.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #282
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Updated with the results of August 18th.

Gotta mention this. If you ever have trouble seeing the latest version inside the original post, please clear your internet cache via your browser and try again, before pointing out anything.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #283
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has a fantastic shot for staying in the top until Shangai.

If he wins tomorrow, a semi in the USO would be enough to stay n1 until Shangai on October, he would have 299 weeks there.

If he loses tomorrow, a final in the USO would do the same: 299 weeks at least

If Djokovic doesn't win the USO, Federer has 95% chances for surpassing the 300 weeks mark.
bounccer is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #284
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
Federer has a fantastic shot for staying in the top until Shangai.
if Fed wins tonight, he's already guaranteed to stay number 1 after the US Open until after Beijing/Tokyo, that is 298 weeks.

And would have great chances to reach 300 weeks at number 1.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #285
country flag sunsfuns

sunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
If he loses tomorrow, a final in the USO would do the same: 299 weeks at least

If Djokovic doesn't win the USO, Federer has 95% chances for surpassing the 300 weeks mark.
Why would Roger need a final? Just repeating his last year's result ought to be enough to stay #1 immediately after USO.