Doctor Who - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
country flag MachineGun

MachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doctor Who

I have just finished watching the first season (2005) of the 2nd series of Doctor Who (2005-present). Of course I had heard a lot of things about it, I knew the cult following after the 1st series (1963-1989). But I wasn't prepared for so much win, so much awesomeness.
It's not even a Geek thing, it's made for everyone as long as you are ready to digest the british humour, this wonderful and subtle blend of social satire/commentary, black humour, goofiness and (very) dark undertones - all "hidden" in the Sci-Fi epicness.

The show is so well written and conceptualized, it's incredible! The story arcs (from what I have already seen) are fantastic.
(From the first season) The Daleks are a fascinating depiction of the Humans' darkest aspects. The Siltheens were very interesting too (and I certainly hope "Margaret Blaine" will be seen again as a reborn Siltheen). The Time Lord, Rose and her family's psychological portraits were top quality too! Everything is perfect, let's be honest.

I mean... This is gold. And I can't wait to watch the rest!

What do you think of Doctor Who? Season 8 (and new Doctor) will start in 2 weeks and a half, I saw... So the moment to open this thread is appropriate.
Also, please, use the **spoiler** tag if you are about to describe the epidoses.

Smoking the Rosmalen grass
and rolling in the Stuttgart silt.

> Patron Saint of MTF's collective Desire <

Last edited by MachineGun : 08-06-2014 at 08:09 AM.
MachineGun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
country flag Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctor Who

One of the best series ever !
Richard Krajicek Fernando Gonzalez Stefan Edberg John McEnroe Kent Carlsson Miloslav Mecir Patrick Rafter Yannick Noah Gustavo Kuerten Pete Sampras Mark Koevermans Joachim Johansson Jacco Eltingh Jan Siemerink Goran Ivanisevic Pat Cash Henri Leconte Agustin Calleri Tim Mayotte Nicolas Escude Hicham Arazi Paul Haarhuis Tim Henman Michael Stich Marcelo Rios Max Mirnyi Gaston Gaudio Sjeng Schalken Alberto Mancini Mariano Zabaleta Jose Acasuso Andres Gomez Taylor Dent Mats Wilander Guillermo Perez Roldan David Nalbandian Petr Korda Rod Laver Bjorn Borg Guillermo Vilas
Clashcityrocker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #3

Clashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond reputeClashcityrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Richard Krajicek Fernando Gonzalez Stefan Edberg John McEnroe Kent Carlsson Miloslav Mecir Patrick Rafter Yannick Noah Gustavo Kuerten Pete Sampras Mark Koevermans Joachim Johansson Jacco Eltingh Jan Siemerink Goran Ivanisevic Pat Cash Henri Leconte Agustin Calleri Tim Mayotte Nicolas Escude Hicham Arazi Paul Haarhuis Tim Henman Michael Stich Marcelo Rios Max Mirnyi Gaston Gaudio Sjeng Schalken Alberto Mancini Mariano Zabaleta Jose Acasuso Andres Gomez Taylor Dent Mats Wilander Guillermo Perez Roldan David Nalbandian Petr Korda Rod Laver Bjorn Borg Guillermo Vilas
Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
country flag MachineGun

MachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond reputeMachineGun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashcityrocker View Post
Haha! The depiction of the Daleks.

Was the old series any good? It's a generational case, it seems: all the contemporains of the old series say it was the best and the younger genration says the new series is a million times better.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGun View Post
Haha! The depiction of the Daleks.

Was the old series any good? It's a generational case, it seems: all the contemporains of the old series say it was the best and the younger genration says the new series is a million times better.
I only came in in the new series, haven't watched any of the 1963-1989 episodes. Did know this song back then though, liked it haha
EXTERMINATE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

of the new series that one is the best,

bad luck mate, the next few turn into soppy drivel

Tennant? I'll get my coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
country flag MachineGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
of the new series that one is the best,

bad luck mate, the next few turn into soppy drivel

Tennant? I'll get my coat
We'll see.

But I certainly loved the episode "The Satan Pit", that I watched a year ago when it was aired on a French channel. That's the episode that got me hooked - and made me want to start the series, months after watching it.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
country flag danny66

danny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond reputedanny66 has a reputation beyond repute

I also heard a lot of good stuff about this show, I guess I will watch it too
danny66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashcityrocker View Post
I only came in in the new series, haven't watched any of the 1963-1989 episodes. Did know this song back then though, liked it haha
EXTERMINATE!!!!!!!!
I liked the song back then too without knowing about the show

I remember trying to make out what they were actually saying "Bosh bosh bosh, loads of money" and "We will take over - we are superior beings" was quite hard to place.
vBookie net amount won: 20280 (2014: +13585, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 90, TT doubles rank 100.
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGun View Post
We'll see.

But I certainly loved the episode "The Satan Pit", that I watched a year ago when it was aired on a French channel. That's the episode that got me hooked - and made me want to start the series, months after watching it.
the Weeping Angels were good, I'll give him that

the episode in the Space Library is fucking fantastic.

Personally I will always love "Dalek" from the first new series and that series penultimate episode

as for the original stuff, Baker is always top dog, but McCoy wasn't too bad tbh

Quote:
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
Old 08-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible Fan has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching the McCoy series when it first came out in the late 80s and it remains one of my favourite eras of the show. I also liked Tom Baker, I have lots of the old series DVDs.
I liked the first few seasons of the "new" show the best so far especially the episodes with Billie Piper.

Hottest WTA Girls: Goerges, Ivanovic, Kirilenko, Sharapova, Wozniacki.

All-Time Hottest: Anna Chakvetadze
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
country flag TigerTim

Quote:

Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
country flag MachineGun

Even though I loved how the end of the season 2 sealed Rose's destiny, I was a bit underwhelmed by it. It felt just like a very long interlude, a transitional season. Because the third season is almost as good as the first. (The 2nd half is quite exceptional, I have to say.)
I'm watching the last episode later today. I want to be floored!

Old 08-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
country flag MachineGun

Switched to the 11th doctor. (about to start season 5)

I ended up loving Tennant's interpretation of the Doctor. A lot darker and nuanced than the 10th. But the 3 seasons themselves are a bit weaker than the first; not much, but they are. The standard was way too high!
I've been pretty disappointed with the Dalek story arcs with Tennant as the Doctor. I mean, it was way too soapy and all over the place for my taste - as TigerTim suggested - and I was a disappointed by the Time Lords' special episode (after season 4), which had loads of potential on paper.
It's a shame, because a lot of the episodes in those 3 seasons were outstanding! Like the "The Girl in the Fireplace", "The Impossible Planet/Satan's Pit", "Gridlock", "Blink", "Planet of the Ood", "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead", "Midnight", "Turn Left" (4 amaze-balls of episodes in a row in that 4th season, all shockingly good!) and "The Waters of Mars" special. Moffat should write a lot more, in my opinion. This guy has undoubtedly a huge talent and is a real fan of the old series, his writing skills are incredible. Davies is more Hit and Miss. But when he hits, he hits hard too!

I still can't get over the fact that Rose (Billie Piper) is no more (or almost). She was absolutely wonderful as the female companion. Agyeman as Martha Jones was useless; I was disgusted by her performances. Tate, as Donna Noble, was incredible too as expected. And her fate is the most saddening, in retrospect. It is downright cruel! But Piper was everything. Incredible caracter.

John Simm as The Master deserves to be bitch-slapped. I'm into the typically quirky, over-the-top acting in british humour but Simm's interpretation left me cold and unamused. At all. He was disgustingly cringe. He was like cakes that have too much sugar. No nuances, no nothing. Had the casters chosen another person to portray him, the Master would probably be good. The writers and directors are also to blame though.

Anyway. The low points certainly didn't disgust me from the series: as a whole, it is still absolutely brilliant, thrilling, fascinating. An outstanding journey!

Lesley Shar as Sky Sylvestry in the episode "Midnight".
One of the scariest characters and episodes in "Doctor Who", ever.

I'm a bit scared with the 11th doctor (by Matt Smith) though. I don't like his face, I don't like what he seems to be bringing (from the 2 minutes I've seen of him). But I could be surprised, we'll see.

Last edited by MachineGun : 08-19-2014 at 06:57 PM.