How will the top 20 look by the end of the year?
In my opinion, the top 20 by the end of the year will be:
1. Djokovic- Don't see anyone getting enough points to pass him
2. Murray- He can likely stay at 2 if he defends USO and picks up some other points too
3. Nadal- I think he may end up close to Murray. He's got nothing to defend here on out, so he has a good chance at closing down the gap
4. Ferrer- He needs to defend quite a bit of points, not sure how he'll do
5. Berdych- Based off of how Federer has been lately, Berdych has a real shot at #5
6/7. Federer- Depends on if he manages to stay healthy and find some form
6/7. Del Potro- Similar to Federer, it depends on his health. These two will likely be pretty close.
8. Tsonga- is on an island. A bit of a gap above and below him. Don't see anyone taking the 8 spot from him. He could potentially pass the two above him if he catches fire, but with Tsonga, my guess is as good as anyone's
9. Wawrinka- He needs to catch fire in a few tournaments if he wants to solidify his spot in the top 10.
10. Raonic- Gasquet likely won't be able to defend his Masters Final, whereas the draw opened up for Raonic. If he gets a few more easy draws, he can get into the top ten. Raonic seems to have a way of quietly picking up points
11. Gasquet- Not sure about him. He needs to perform well at big events if he wants to stay in the top 10. The rest of the field can win MMs as well, that won't cut it
12. Haas- He's got to play a few solid tournaments to close out the year, he doesn't have too much to defend
13. Janowicz- If he makes another deep run, he can pass Nishikori who hasn't been too impressive lately. He has to defend Paris final, of course
14. Nishikori- With some of the guys below him looking a bit sharper, Nishikori will have a tough time keeping up. He has to do well in Tokyo again
15. Almagro- He's just sort of floating around now, hasn't done a whole lot since clay season, don't expect him to do much. Don't see any of the guys below him making an effort to pass him, however
16. Fognini- I fear that the fog is satisfied with the several good weeks he had, and he may take his foot off the gas for the rest of the season. He's right behind Almagro, and if he feels like winning a few matches, he will pass him, but it's a big question mark
17. Anderson- Huge chance for Kevin here. If he grabs some points in the next few weeks, he will easily pass the out of form Cilic and Simon
18. Simon- Not sure what planet Gilles is on, but he's got to wake up soon enough to defend his Paris SF if he wants to stay in the top 20
19. Isner- Currently sitting outside of the top 20. He's got to defend Winston-Salem, but if he picks up enough points he can get back in the top 20 unless Tipsarevic does a complete 180
20. Seppi- Most likely going to be Seppi. Cilic and Tipsarevic will both be well out of the top 20 if things continue going as they have been for them. Anyone else in the top 50 can steal this spot if they make a deep run
What is your vision of the year end top 20?
Last edited by godig : 08-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.