Players who might give the top 3 a scare in Wimby's QF or earlier - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Players who might give the top 3 a scare in Wimby's QF or earlier

first tier threats (in no particular order):

Raonic (big server and big hitter, could use the grass to his advantage even in the "slow grass" conditions)
Isner (same as above)
Berdych (less powerful server than isner and raonic but his baseline game is better; could be a threat for any top player if he has the right day)
Tsonga (if recovered from his finger injury)
del potro (as suggested by mark lenders)

Second tier threats (in no particular order):

Nalbandian (probably not a threat but his name still scares as he might just find the right day)
Haas (hopefully he'll be a threat but much would be needed)
Roddick (he's old and washed up to many but hell it would be weird to discount a, what?, 3-time wimbledon finalist?)
muller (big server and hitter; could use the grass to his advantage on a good day but he'll always be the heavy underdog against any top player)

Agree? Anyone else to add?

it's a long shot but hopefully one of them will cause an upset to one of the top 3.

Last edited by abraxas21 : 06-16-2012 at 03:53 AM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: players outside the top 20 who might give the top 4 a scare in Wimby's early roun

Isner, Berdych and Tsonga are outside the top 20?
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: players who might give the top 4 a scare in Wimby's QF or earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Isner, Berdych and Tsonga are outside the top 20?
just fixed that. at first i was going to consider only until the QF but then choose to add other players and wrongly changed the tthread title. anyway, besides those 2 everyone else is outside the top 20
Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to put Muller down, then I'd say Mahut is more of a threat than Muller at this point.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Players who might give the top 4 a scare in Wimby's QF or earlier

Isner is not a threat. Low bouncing surfaces make his groundgame almost Karlovic-like.

The main threats would be:

Tsonga

Berdych

Raonic

Del Potro

Tsonga and Berdych far ahead of the others as their game is more suited for grass. If Tsonga can redline his game, he'll beat anyone for sure, his game is just huge when he does manage to play his best. Berdych can beat every member of the top 4 too, bar Nadal who's a death matchup for him. I'd consider him favorite against Murray.

Raonic, if he faces one of the top 3 seeds when the grass is still fast, or Murray: Murray's blocked returns are exactly the kind of returns Milos like to punish.

JMDP has a lot of trouble with the low bounce, so I reckon Federer and Murray would slice him to dead on this surface. He can trouble Nadal like last year though, and Djokovic too.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
If you're going to put Muller down, then I'd say Mahut is more of a threat than Muller at this point.
well, muller is higher ranked than mahut, has relatively good grass results and has tested nadal on the surface...
Old 06-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Isner is not a threat. Low bouncing surfaces make his groundgame almost Karlovic-like.

The main threats would be:

Tsonga

Berdych

Raonic

Del Potro

Tsonga and Berdych far ahead of the others as their game is more suited for grass. Raonic, if he faces one of the top 3 seeds when the grass is still fast, or Murray: Murray's blocked returns are exactly the kind of returns Milos like to punish.

JMDP has a lot of trouble with the low bounce, so I reckon Federer and Murray would slice him to dead on this surface. He can trouble Nadal like last year though, and Djokovic too.
totally forgot about del potro. could be a threat, I think. will add him to the list.

i wouldn't discount isner that easily. wimbledon isn't as low bouncing as, let's say, halle.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro on grass He'll be lucky to make 3rd round this year.

Seriously, Tsonga and Berdych are the biggest threats to the big 3. Murray comes second. Isner/Raonic aren't good enough to upset the big 3 in best of 5
Old 06-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #9

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
totally forgot about del potro. could be a threat, I think.

i wouldn't discount isner that easily. wimbledon isn't as low bouncing as, let's say, halle.
Only for Nadal and Djokovic. Del Potro's movement on grass is far from ideal and he can't deal with the low bounce, expert slicers like Fed and Murray would most definitely slice him to death if they met imo.

Isner has never made past R2 in this tournament, he really doesn't do well in low-bouncing surfaces. But I guess that when you have a serve like that, you're always a threat. And yeah, the bounce isn't as low as Halle, that's for sure.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Del Potro on grass He'll be lucky to make 3rd round this year.

Seriously, Tsonga and Berdych are the biggest threats to the big 3. Murray comes second. Isner/Raonic aren't good enough to upset the big 3 in best of 5
He gave Nadal his toughest match en route to the final last year at Wimbledon, only tiebreaks made the difference. It was a great match, I thought.

Agree about the rest, though. Tsonga and Berdych are definitely the biggest threats to the top 3, followed by Murray.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

The only real threat is Raonic. The others (including hopefully Delboy who'll get his rightful #8 seed) should not be considered an exceptional threat. They are top 8 players. They should always be dangerous. Except Ferrer who I can't see doing anything significant on grass.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
country flag abraxas21

when you stop down to think about this, it's actually kind of sad to realize that only a handful of players might cause upsets to the top 4.... and you need to keep a possitive attitute when thinking about it!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, what an era of amazing competition we are living when the 5-8 seeds are considered complete outsiders. Hilarious.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #14
Banned!

Quote:
when you stop down to think about this, it's actually kind of sad to realize that only a handful of players might cause upsets to the top 4.... and you need to keep a possitive attitute when thinking about it!
It's not sad, it indicates a strong era with dominant top players, not a mug era in the 90's/early 2000's with Johansson, Ivanisievic and Krajicek fluking slams left and right.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #15
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well, muller is higher ranked than mahut, has relatively good grass results and has tested nadal on the surface...
Lest you forget Mahut beating Nadal in Queen's more recently than Muller beating Nadal at Wimby! And Mahut also just beat Murray on grass. So I see no reason to place Muller as a higher threat than Mahut

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote