Question about some futures - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
country flag castorinho

castorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about some futures

I'm looking at futures for Wimbledon and for the Olympics. Nole is favored in Wimbledon while Nadal is favored at the Olympics. What gives? Isn't it going to be played on the same courts/surface?

Anyway this struck to me as a bit odd and figured I'd ask why.
castorinho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
country flag bad gambler

bad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about some futures

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorinho View Post
I'm looking at futures for Wimbledon and for the Olympics. Nole is favored in Wimbledon while Nadal is favored at the Olympics. What gives? Isn't it going to be played on the same courts/surface?

Anyway this struck to me as a bit odd and figured I'd ask why.
Probably to do with the fact that there is a perception (rightly or wrongly) that representing his country means more to Rafa than Djokovic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentos View Post
have laugh at the people who attended this. Couldn't afford tomic on laver so they settle for this.
bad gambler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
country flag Busterovic
Banned!

Busterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad gambler View Post
Probably to do with the fact that there is a perception (rightly or wrongly) that representing his country means more to Rafa than Djokovic.
Absolutely incorrect.

I am not meaning to attack you or disrespect you as it looks like you quite the tenure and resume here at MTF. But do you really think thats the case?

Nole IS Serbia. Do you realize what winning Olympic gold would do for his popularity? He is probably the most famous Serbian person in the world and definitely in the country. He has his bottled water, his own product, he is Michael Jordan, Barack Obama, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Brady all put into one in Serbia. He knows the value of winning this title and theres no way that the odds are what they are because of the perception that he wants to win Olympic gold more than Nadal.

With that being said OP is incorrect. Djokovic is favored to win both Wimbledon and the Olympics.

At Wimbledon, he is 2.48 to win. Nadal is 3.64.

At the Olympics, Djokovic is 2.86 and Nadal is 4.86

I have no logical reasoning for that discrepancy except for the fact that Nadal has not won an ATP 1000 event on hardcourts since 2009. I realize that the Olympics are played on grass, but bookies are saying that Nadal is much, much more dangerous in a best of 5 format as opposed to a best of 3.

Last edited by Busterovic : 06-16-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Busterovic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
country flag bad gambler

bad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterovic View Post
Absolutely incorrect.

I am not meaning to attack you or disrespect you as it looks like you quite the tenure and resume here at MTF. But do you really think thats the case?

Nole IS Serbia. Do you realize what winning Olympic gold would do for his popularity? He is probably the most famous Serbian person in the world and definitely in the country. He has his bottled water, his own product, he is Michael Jordan, Barack Obama, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Brady all put into one in Serbia. He knows the value of winning this title and theres no way that the odds are what they are because of the perception that he wants to win Olympic gold more than Nadal.

With that being said OP is incorrect. Djokovic is favored to win both Wimbledon and the Olympics.

At Wimbledon, he is 2.48 to win. Nadal is 3.64.

At the Olympics, Djokovic is 2.86 and Nadal is 4.86

I have no logical reasoning for that discrepancy except for the fact that Nadal has no won an ATP 1000 event on hardcourts since 2009. I realize that the Olympics are played on clay, but bookies are saying that Nadal is much, much more dangerous in a best of 5 format as opposed to a best of 3.

Reread my post I never said anything about my opinion. I only needed to watch Djokovic playing Davis Cup in 2010 to know what representing his country means to him.

Also I just had a look at the odds for the Olympics and you are right. Not sure where the OP is getting his odds from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentos View Post
have laugh at the people who attended this. Couldn't afford tomic on laver so they settle for this.
bad gambler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
country flag cardio

cardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I have no logical reasoning for that discrepancy except for the fact that Nadal has no won an ATP 1000 event on hardcourts since 2009. I realize that the Olympics are played on clay, but bookies are saying that Nadal is much, much more dangerous in a best of 5 format as opposed to a best of 3.
Clay ??! Olympics is on Wimbledon grass. And best of 3 is irrelevant because final is best of 5, same as in Wimbledon.Nadal and Djoko are probably #2 and # 1 seed, they can play against each other only in final . Only difference in early rounds BO3 matches : there is no tiebreaker in third, it is advantage set. Of course there is no breaker in mens final 5th set also. I dont think so that advantage 3rd set makes such a difference, if anything it reduces the probability of "accidental loss" of top player.

There is little difference though between Wimby and Olympics. No matter what MTF tards say, I´m pretty sure that if excellent grass player Lopez has chance to upset Nadal in Wimbledon QF, he makes 100% effort to do so. If some Spaniard has same chance in Olympics, where they play for country and he knows Nadal is Spain`s main hope for tennis gold , I´m not so sure any more...
cardio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
country flag castorinho

castorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond reputecastorinho has a reputation beyond repute

These are the odds that I have, obviously the difference is not that big but just thought it was interesting. Anything to do with the fact that Nole is more susceptible to upset in the earlier rounds (best of three)?
castorinho is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Murray looks tasty for the Olympics. Maybe a flutter - your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
country flag Busterovic
Banned!

Busterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond reputeBusterovic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardio View Post
Clay ??! Olympics is on Wimbledon grass. And best of 3 is irrelevant because final is best of 5, same as in Wimbledon.Nadal and Djoko are probably #2 and # 1 seed, they can play against each other only in final . Only difference in early rounds BO3 matches : there is no tiebreaker in third, it is advantage set. Of course there is no breaker in mens final 5th set also. I dont think so that advantage 3rd set makes such a difference, if anything it reduces the probability of "accidental loss" of top player.

There is little difference though between Wimby and Olympics. No matter what MTF tards say, I´m pretty sure that if excellent grass player Lopez has chance to upset Nadal in Wimbledon QF, he makes 100% effort to do so. If some Spaniard has same chance in Olympics, where they play for country and he knows Nadal is Spain`s main hope for tennis gold , I´m not so sure any more...
typo
Old 06-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
country flag callitasicit

callitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond reputecallitasicit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
I will not back Murray until he proves he can win a big event.
callitasicit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
country flag Busterovic
Banned!

Quote:
Loving that. Murray has a much better shot at winning events in a best of 3 format...give him less of a chance to choke.

but murray has never won anything close to relevant in England
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Loving that. Murray has a much better shot at winning events in a best of 3 format...give him less of a chance to choke.

but murray has never won anything close to relevant in England
Queens, a decent trophy, not only best of 3 but the media attention in the UK will be on not just him like Wimbledon but due to the Olympics all the GB athletes, less pressure.

Quote:
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
country flag Busterovic
Banned!

Quote:
Queens, a decent trophy, not only best of 3 but the media attention in the UK will be on not just him like Wimbledon but due to the Olympics all the GB athletes, less pressure.
Sorry mate don't really consider any ATP250 titles decent for a guy who's been top 4 for 5 years now a significant title.

Good point about the olympic atmosphere
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
country flag TigerTim

Quote:
suk it brah's got muzzah at 10-1 and now closed to 3-1, so I sold out, bingo

Quote: