Golden era of tennis - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Golden era of tennis

28 of 29 is proof of tennis' golden era

UPDATED JUN 11, 2012 4:22 PM ET

PARIS (AP)
While a bank of photographers took pictures for posterity and the front pages of the world, Rafael Nadal lovingly studied the champions' names - the likes of Bjorn Borg, Roger Federer and, of course, his own - engraved on the base of the French Open trophy. A huge grin dawned on his face like sunrise. He looked like the happiest person on the planet.

And yet, minutes later, down in the bowels of the Roland Garros arena where Nadal had just made history, his uncle and coach was talking not about the brilliance of the best clay-court player men's tennis has ever seen, but about his rotten luck. The point Toni Nadal was making was that his nephew's career could have been even more stellar if he had been playing in another era - one without Federer and now, increasingly, Novak Djokovic - his defeated opponent in this French Open final.

''Unlucky, unlucky, oh yes,'' uncle Toni said. ''If there wasn't Federer, perhaps Rafael would have been No. 1 for four years. But with Federer, that was impossible.''

He is right, of course. But wrong, too.

Nadal would almost certainly have more major titles by now - this record seventh French Open crown took his total to 11 - if not for Federer and Djokovic. Without those two stones in his shoes, Nadal could have ruled alone at the top of tennis for years.

But would tennis fans have cared as much about the men's game as they do now? No. And would Nadal have become such a good player if first Federer and now Djokovic hadn't forced him to improve? Probably not.

''To just watch these top players push each other, I don't think there's any much further to push,'' Steffi Graf, a 22-time major winner on the women's side, said before this latest momentous chapter in the Djokovic-Nadal-Federer rivalry. ''Men's tennis, definitely, is at the highest it has even been.''

Like musketeers, they're even more glorious as a trio. By building this golden era of tennis together, they share in its glitter. It may sometimes seem like a curse for Toni Nadal, but it is precisely because his nephew is tested so often against opponents of such high quality that we can be absolutely sure of his and their greatness.

To beat each other, they have to lift their game to the highest of standards. All three have been made bigger and stronger by their rivalry, not diminished by it. They are each other's poison, but also each other's magic potion that makes them look good. Together, they have now won 28 of the last 29 majors. So, in men's tennis, it is them on one plane, everyone else on another, and looks likely to stay that way for the immediate future, at least for Nadal and Djokovic. Both in their mid-twenties, they have more time than Federer, 30, to make even more of a mark.

''They are doing something to one another that hasn't been done before,'' said three-time French Open champion Mats Wilander. ''Borg made (John) McEnroe a better player, but Borg quit. And Federer made Nadal a better player, and Federer didn't quit. And Djokovic has beaten the hell out of Nadal, and Nadal didn't quit. So I think they're a very special three players that are not afraid of one another. They're not mentally really disturbed by one another. They just tactically, technically can't handle the other guy. It's very interesting.''

Had he won his first French Open final, Djokovic would have become the first player since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold four majors at the same time.

But Nadal, for his mental health, needed this victory more. Another loss in a major final to the world's No. 1 would have been the fourth in a row for Nadal, an unprecedented Grand Slam of losses that would done untold damage to the Spaniard's confidence.

So he came to this match talking as though he had swallowed a library of self-help motivational books - ''I will be there fighting,'' ''I can't let him feel comfortable,'' ''I have to play aggressive, I have to play my game'' - and executed his plan for the first two sets until rain Sunday made the balls play like grapefruits and take the sting off Nadal's shots.

If looks could kill, there's a patch of red clay on the Philippe Chatrier showcourt at Roland Garros that would need last rites. That was where Djokovic's backhand service return landed on the very first point of the fourth set, with the tide turning Djokovic's way after he won the third. Nadal swung his racket, missed the ball entirely and, convinced he'd had a bad bounce from the increasingly sodden clay, stared furiously at the offending spot. That captured how the wet messed with Nadal's mind and his tennis.

Nadal can count himself lucky that the referee intervened two games later, sending them home until Monday. But he doesn't owe his eventual 6-4, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 victory to luck. He won as he often does, by soaking up pretty much everything thrown at him and returning it with interest and lashes of topspin.

Nadal is so at home at Roland Garros that the ballkids know, seemingly without being told, to lay out a towel on the red clay next to his bench so his white equipment bag doesn't get dirty. Beating him was always going to require Djokovic's very best tennis, and he only delivered that in patches. To breach Nadal's defenses, Djokovic was forced to aim for the sidelines. Often, the risk didn't pay off. But he did have some success with serve and volley and a few elegant lobs over Nadal's head - variety that may help him unlock the riddle of beating Nadal on his best surface next time.

''How much is he going to improve on clay? So much,'' said Wilander. ''After today, he's going to figure, 'OK, I could have won that match if I do this and this, and I work on my forehand and maybe come in a little more, maybe more surprise serve and volley. Three or four points makes a big difference.' He's right there. They better watch out for him on clay next year, because he'll be heading in the other direction, I think. I really do.''

What a prospect. For many, Federer is the greatest player in tennis history. His record 16 major titles give his fans a gilt-edged argument. Without Nadal, Federer would have had more. Without Federer, so might Nadal. And, without them, Djokovic would not have been forced to hone himself into the force he has become - formidable enough to still be ranked No. 1 despite this defeat.

A golden era, indeed.

''I have great rivals,'' Nadal said. ''For me, you can feel unlucky or lucky. Both.''

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golden era of tennis

Complete BS.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

this is indeed the strongest era in mens tennis. the tards on this board are the only ones who dont agree.
ossie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
country flag Jamoz

Jamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond reputeJamoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossie View Post
this is indeed the strongest era in mens tennis. the tards on this board are the only ones who dont agree.
I't must be with GOAT like Delpo
Jamoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Good article.

And as long as they all remain on the tour they will keep forcing each other to improve.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Whether this is a golden era of tennis or not, the fact that 28 of the past 29 Slams were won by only three players proves absolutely nothing.

Tennis is about more than three players and taken in isolation it could also mean that the rest of the field isn't up to mark, which does not constitute a golden era.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Nole Fan. That was an interesting article.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Whether this is a golden era of tennis or not, the fact that 28 of the past 29 Slams were won by only three players proves absolutely nothing.

Tennis is about more than three players and taken in isolation it could also mean that the rest of the field isn't up to mark, which does not constitute a golden era.
T H I S
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
country flag Fed=ATPTourkilla

Fed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond repute

I almost think it would be a good idea if the "era" arguments were permanently banned from MTF because they are just so boring now. Soon we will have SetSampras on to say that the 1990s were the only true golden era (yes, the 1990s, the era when Rusedski almost got to no 1).
Fed=ATPTourkilla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

toni having a crush on federer or just psyching him for SW19
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Golden era of tennis like the golden era of baseball. lol. What a fucking joke. I am sick and tired of people shitting their pants and not talking about the big elephant in the room

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

The #1 is a cheater and a faker, the #2 has gamesmanship issue. Not that golden...
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
country flag LaFuria

LaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond repute

The golden era of mugginess perhaps. When you only have 2 guys who can win slams, both of whom can barely serve, it's not a good sign.
LaFuria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepleBuster View Post
Golden era of tennis like the golden era of baseball. lol. What a fucking joke. I am sick and tired of people shitting their pants and not talking about the big elephant in the room
Doping is definitely an issue to consider and one that does cross the mind when watching neverending grindathons with Nadal, Murray, Ferrer and others, essentially unbelievably physical matches.

But let's not accuse anyone without evidence. For all we know, they are just supreme athletes with supreme fitness. Unfortunately the doping control in tennis is horrible to put it mildly so it's easy to be suspicious, but until proof in contrary I'll believe the sport is clean.

Stricter doping control should be enforced though, to make sure there are no clouds of suspicion.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 06-12-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
country flag GOAT = Fed
Banned!

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

brb past year has seen only two players appear in slams
brb no.3 rank is a player who is 31 in 2 months and making SF of slams with relative ease
brb 28 of the past 29 slams have been won by 3 players
brb somehow 2 player making the finals of all slams constitutes a strong era
brb what about the other 126 players in the draw?
brb brb
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote