Wimbledon's anti-pigeon hawk Rufus missing - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
country flag Sinerra

Sinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wimbledon's anti-pigeon hawk Rufus missing

Wimbledon's anti-pigeon hawk Rufus missing after being stolen from car
Rufus, a Harris Hawk that patrols Wimbledon to scare off pigeons, has been stolen, police have confirmed.

The much-loved bird was relaxing in the back of a car in Wimbledon with the window wound down for ventilation when he was apparently taken.
The incident occurred between Thursday and Friday on a private drive in Dunstall Road and the owner - Imogen Davis, 25 - said she was still in shock over what had happened.
'It's really, really sad,' she said. 'He was taken in his travelling box, which is where he sleeps because it's nice and dark and cool and he can fall asleep in there.
'We're very, very shocked, we just want to know he's okay.'
A spokesman added Davis and her family had grown close to the animal, which served honourably in his duties as pigeon frightener.

Keeper Wayne Davis with Rufus the Harris Hawk (Picture: PA)
He added: 'The family has become very attached to the bird, who is now four-and-a-half years old.
'They are distressed over the theft and are appealing for help to recover the bird.'
Rufus, who was also a favourite with visitors to the All England Club, has his own Twitter account, which is probably being monitored closely by those waiting to see if he's OK.
The last thing he tweeted a few days ago was in reference to Rafael Nadal's shock exit from Wimbledon and Andy Murray's win.
'He' wrote: 'Murray is through, Rafa is down 2-1 (!), Ward played brilliantly but lost to Mardy Fish, and Italy are beating Germany 1-0!'
(Could a Nadal fan have something to answer for?)
A spokesman for the All England Club added that another bird, said to be one of Rufus' 'pals', called Hector had been drafted in as cover for the missing bird.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddball...tolen-from-car
Sinerra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
country flag Sinerra

Sinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond reputeSinerra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wimbledon's anti-pigeon hawk Rufus missing

Oops sorry! I thought I posted this in Off Topic
Sinerra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, should be moved to off-topic, but I'm glad for your post as I heard it this evening and thought WTF?!?!?!?!

Which idiot would even consider to steal a magnificent bird like that???
Idiots. I really hope the police grabs them asap, most of all because I worry about the wellbeing of the birdie.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 06-30-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is tennis related. There are a lot of players who might have lost their concentration and a handful of matches had it not been for Rufus' dedication over the years. He's an unsung hero.
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
country flag SVK

SVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond repute

Oh noes...I still remember how they warned Sharapova to not grunt that much because of him. Legend.
SVK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
country flag gaitare

gaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond reputegaitare has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal couldn't go out empty handed this year.
gaitare is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Yeah, should be moved to off-topic, but I'm glad for your post as I heard it this evening and thought WTF?!?!?!?!

Which idiot would even consider to steal a magnificent bird like that???
Idiots. I really hope the police grabs them asap, most of all because I worry about the wellbeing of the birdie.
I suppose there are farworse crimes one could commit. but I am liking your passion for the bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Well this is tennis related. There are a lot of players who might have lost their concentration and a handful of matches had it not been for Rufus' dedication over the years. He's an unsung hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK View Post
Oh noes...I still remember how they warned Sharapova to not grunt that much because of him. Legend.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I suppose there are farworse crimes one could commit.
Yeah of course, but still...

Quote:
but I am liking your passion for the bird.
An innocent animal which most probably asks for specific care, one cannot just do that kind of thing. This is a very ill sort of a 'joke' imho.
Because of it perhaps being dangerous for the bird's health, damn.

Yeah, I am an animal freak and I happen to have a very big soft-spot for birds of prey.

Anathema

Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Yeah of course, but still...

An innocent animal which most probably asks for specific care, one cannot just do that kind of thing. This is a very ill sort of a 'joke' imho.
Because of it perhaps being dangerous for the bird's health, damn.

Yeah, I am an animal freak and I happen to have a very big soft-spot for birds of prey.
I know I just thought your post was funny and cute at the same time.

Hopefully the bird will show up eventually!
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I know I just thought your post was funny and cute at the same time.

Hopefully the bird will show up eventually!

It's 'professional deformation' I guess with my background as a biologist.

Anathema

Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

maybe the cage wasn't well closed and he chose freedom? why stolen?

was he kept in good conditions? who the fuck keeps animals in the car??? some retarded sadists i guess
it reminds me of these poor dogs locked in cars in the heat when their owners went out to do smth in the city...

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
maybe the cage wasn't well closed and he chose freedom? why stolen?

was he kept in good conditions? who the fuck keeps animals in the car??? some retarded sadists i guess
it reminds me of these poor dogs locked in cars in the heat when their owners went out to do smth in the city...
Well, unless the bird took the cage with it when lloking for freedom since the cage went missing too

And it is stolen because the car windows were open to let air inside

Anyway, I am surprised AELTC does not provide a shaded place inside the ground for the bird to rest. May be because too many people inside the ground and the bird need a quiet place nearby.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #13
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitare View Post

Poor Rufus. hope they find him.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
country flag AntiTennis

AntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond reputeAntiTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitare View Post

Poor Rufus , I hope they find him

Form is temporary, class is permanent

"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" RF.

"He is capable of hitting shots which others don't even think about trying" Lendl on RF.

08/07/12 Eternal and immortal RF made H1S7ORY!
AntiTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

You bloody poms... you know better than to piss off the Gooch... I don't know what you did but you best better apologise if you ever want to see Rufus again..

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote