What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

As everyone surely remembers, Tsonga had an excellent grasscourt season in 2011, losing the final in Queens and the semifinals at Wimbledon, playing at a very high level in both tournaments. He beat Nadal at Queens and Federer at Wimbledon, playing three sets of absolutely unplayable tennis to beat to Swiss at SW19.

I've said a few times that I thought Tsonga could win Wimbledon this year, which I did in hope more than anything else. But after seeing him play on clay, his least favored surface, pushing Djokovic to very limits, I really wonder whether he can make it come true.

His backhand has shown tremendous improvement, and to a lesser extent so has his return of serve. His serve, forehand and net game remain among the very best on tour as always. If he can hit as backhand as he has lately on grass, he will be very tough to beat, his game just suits the surface so well and he seems to be improving every year.

Queens will start this Monday and Jo will be #2 seed and then #5 seed at Wimbledon and the Olympics. What do you think he can do at these three events? Would you give him any chance to win Wimbledon/The Olympics?
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

The Tsonga/Olderer Wimby match was overrated.

Tsonga served out of his mind. But he didn't do much more than that.

If Olderer's return game hadn't deteriorated to clown level and he wasn't such a choker, he'd have won in 3. Just look at him spanking Clownga every time after that meeting like a naughty kid.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

I expect he will win more matches than he loses

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Queens: Should take the title, only person I can see beating him there is Murray and given his current situation and form I don't see it.

Wimbledon: At least a SF there, for his sake though I hope he gets a better draw and avoids someone like Djokovic in the QF, but either way he's capable of beating all of the top 4 in the QF and no doubt capable of going all the way.

Olympics - I think the 3 set format until the final will favour Jo, definitely the same expectations as for Wimbledon I think is fair and realistic.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #5

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post

If Olderer's return game hadn't deteriorated to clown level and he wasn't such a choker, he'd have won in 3. Just look at him spanking Clownga every time after that meeting like a naughty kid.
Did he break Federer three times just with his serve ?

And what are you on about? Tsonga won their following match in Montreal and they played very tight matches in the indoor season although Federer won.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Even as a Tsonga fan I think this is true on some levels.

As well as Tsonga served Federer did have half chances in those 3 last 3 sets and wasted quite a few with lame errors to say the least, especially in the 5th.

Tsonga only really got into one service game of Federer's each set too, besides that Federer was holding with absolute ease most of the time.

But in the end credit where credit is due and Tsonga did play 3 amazing sets.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Tsonga will do as well as people seem to suggest he will on the grass. Might be wrong but I prefer to weather the red clay and then proceed to the hope of green clay.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #8

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Did he break Federer three times just with his serve ?

And what are you on about? Tsonga won their following match in Montreal and they played very tight matches in the indoor season although Federer won.
He broke because of errors, not because of his own play.

Say what you will but Clownga holding serve 20+ consecutively shouldn't be happening against Olderer.

Nadal - GOAT

Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
Queens: Should take the title, only person I can see beating him there is Murray and given his current situation and form I don't see it.

Wimbledon: At least a SF there, for his sake though I hope he gets a better draw and avoids someone like Djokovic in the QF, but either way he's capable of beating all of the top 4 in the QF and no doubt capable of going all the way.

Olympics - I think the 3 set format until the final will favour Jo, definitely the same expectations as for Wimbledon I think is fair and realistic.
Agree with this. It will come down to whether he can bring his best tennis for 3/4 consecutive match at Wimbledon and Olympics, he'll be very tough to beat if he does.

Can't wait for Queens to start, there's few things I love more in tennis than watching Jo play on fast surfaces,namely on grass.

Quote:
He broke because of errors, not because of his own play.

Say what you will but Clownga holding serve 20+ consecutively shouldn't be happening against Olderer.
Ah because he was serving so well he put Federer under extra pressure on his own service games.

And why not? He has one of the best serves on tour, probably the best in the current top 10 apart from Isner. When he's serving well, he's very tough to break, especially on grass courts.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Queens: QF

Wimbledon: 1R

Olympics: Withdraw.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
Queens: QF

Wimbledon: 1R

Olympics: Withdraw.

As a matter of curiosity, who exactly is going to beat him at those stages of these events?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post

As a matter of curiosity, who exactly is going to beat him at those stages of these events?
You took the bait

Nadal - GOAT

Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
country flag Fireballer

Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute

Djoker broke his will he will suck
Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
country flag Slade
Anti-Dull Alliance

Slade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond repute

I predict he will lose at least one match with match-points.

You are a stage-one thinker if:
  • You believe that Nadull is the GOAT
  • You use H2H in determining one player is superior to another
  • You believe the "Weak Era" argument
  • You believe that Nadull wasn't extraordinarily lucky in his career
Slade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
country flag Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond reputeSay Hey Kid has a reputation beyond repute

Very well could be the queens favorite odds wise, so I wouldn't be stunned if he took that.

Wimbledon QF/SF. Don't see him winning Wimbledon personally. To win wimby outside the big4 you essentially have beat to 3 of them, and you can only hope one of them is Murray. Can Tsonga beat any one individually? Of course.

However, he will still be relatively big underdogs on grass vs the big3 so to beat 2-3 of them is very tall task that is extremely unlikely.

Olympics - bronze/silver at best. See above.
Say Hey Kid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote