Political Discussion Thread - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #166
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
And to think that Russia could really be a great country.
It will be sooner or later. I just don't want to wait another 10 or even 20 years to see reactionary times be over.
Quote:
But to be honest Irochka, it doesn't seem to be better in any 'democracy' either at the moment.
Masha, tbh it annoys the hell out of me when I hear such sentiments. It's like comparing cancer to a flu. Of course no country is perfect but it's pretty obvious that for example Russia is 10 times better than North Korea and Europe is better than Russia. That's of course if freedom, human rights and law are priorities for you. Some people don't want that, they are happy with Stalin like way of ruling.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #167
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post

That's of course if freedom, human rights and law are priorities for you. Some people don't want that, they are happy with Stalin like way of ruling.
Exactly. For me that's the root of the problem. The majority of people want the comfort of being told what to do, how to think, how to behave. If you do anything contrary to the official ideology, you end up being coerced by the state. Far easier to conform to the dictates of "authority", than to think for oneself, and Safin seems to be no exception.

He needs to be locked in a room for an hour with Amélie, Martina and Billie Jean.

Twitter

By the way, it’s possible Marat wasn’t even in the Duma yesterday and did his button-pressing remotely. His voting history shows him present up to 18:12 on Friday 24 May, the same day he was in Odessa mingling with the Archbishop.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #168
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey247 View Post
Exactly. For me that's the root of the problem. The majority of people want the comfort of being told what to do, how to think, how to behave. If you do anything contrary to the official ideology, you end up being coerced by the state. Far easier to conform to the dictates of "authority", than to think for oneself, and Safin seems to be no exception.
Safin is the part of this system now. It's like a gang, there is no way out. Anti-adoption law and now this anti-gay law have basically made all of them accomplices in a crime and one day even if it's in 20 years they will probably be held accountable for everything. I'm pretty sure that most of his russian friends from tennis times won't shake hands with him now. At least Kafelnikov and Myskina are among them.
And we really don't know what's on his mind. He might just want to sit there through the rest of the term and then go into business and never come back to politics again or he might be ok with everything and continue to be a part of this new Russia.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #169
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It will be sooner or later. I just don't want to wait another 10 or even 20 years to see reactionary times be over.

Masha, tbh it annoys the hell out of me when I hear such sentiments. It's like comparing cancer to a flu. Of course no country is perfect but it's pretty obvious that for example Russia is 10 times better than North Korea and Europe is better than Russia. That's of course if freedom, human rights and law are priorities for you. Some people don't want that, they are happy with Stalin like way of ruling.
I hope so too.
Sure, I would not want to live in North Korea.

Abut Marat, does anyone know what happened with the Tennis Federation, why did he leave? Just because there was no money/perspective and he didn't like it there or did he have some conflict with Shamil?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #170
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

... I'm pretty sure that most of his russian friends from tennis times won't shake hands with him now. At least Kafelnikov and Myskina are among them.
Do you know if Myskina has said anything specifically? Also, I wonder what Sveta thinks of this whole business.

Quote:

And we really don't know what's on his mind. He might just want to sit there through the rest of the term and then go into business and never come back to politics again or he might be ok with everything and continue to be a part of this new Russia.
" ... everybody decided for me to go into politics" (italics mine) keeps echoing in my mind, so I hope it's the former.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #171
country flag mer

Quote:
Do you know if Myskina has said anything specifically?
Nothing specifically bad. I just remember her saying smth in the lines let's not discuss him when presenter mentioned his name. I think it was around the time anti-adoption law was passed.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #172
country flag mikomonstr

mikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for that Martina screen-cap, Monkey! I missed that the 1st time around. Hoping all is well with you (long time, no chat!) as well as everybody else here. Xo
mikomonstr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #173
country flag Soozka

Soozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond repute

This article was also retweeted by Martina Navrtilova:

Quote:
Russian Winter Olympics embraces gay athletes in face of gay gag law

International Olympic Committee says they are concerned about the 'homosexual propaganda' law recently passed by the Russian State Duma
12 JUNE 2013 | BY JOE MORGAN

The International Olympics Committee (IOC) has said it will embrace openly gay athletes when it travels to Russia in 2014.

After the State Duma passed the ‘non-traditional relationships propaganda’ law by a unanimous vote yesterday (11 June), there are fears of repercussions when it comes to the Sochi Olympics.

While the legislation is not law yet, it is expected to easily pass in the Russian Senate and be legal by the end of the month.

Under the new ‘homosexual propaganda’ law,[i] tourists deemed to be ‘promoting homosexuality’ could be arrested and deported[/I].

Speaking to Gay Star News, an IOC spokesman said they were ‘concerned’ about the bill becoming law.

‘The IOC would like to reiterate our long commitment to non-discrimination against those taking part in the Olympic Games,’ they said.

‘The IOC is an open organization and athletes of all orientations will be welcome at the Games.’

The gay gag law will suspend any gay rights organization, and if they continue to exist, be fined up to one million rubles ($30.8k, €23.2)

Individuals found to be ‘promoting homosexuality’ will be fined up to 5,000 rubles ($166, €124)

More than two dozen gay rights activists were attacked by anti-gay thugs before they were arrested by the police.

The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association of Europe appealed to international and European organizations to condemn the law and to consider ‘meaningful actions against Russia’.
from: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/r....DMmqVHhp.dpuf
Soozka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #174
country flag mer

Quote:
Individuals found to be ‘promoting homosexuality’ will be fined up to 5,000 rubles ($166, €124)

It's worse. Individuals ‘promoting homosexuality’ using internet will be fined up to 100,000 rubles.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #175
country flag monkey247

Quote:

About Marat, does anyone know what happened with the Tennis Federation, why did he leave? Just because there was no money/perspective and he didn't like it there or did he have some conflict with Shamil?
Hi, Maria I haven't been keeping up with that side of things much, but this is the most recent interview with Marat that I could find on the subject. I guess if there had been any real conflict with Shamil, Marat would have kept it private, so maybe he's just fully occupied with his, er, new life.

Quote:
Nothing specifically bad. I just remember her saying smth in the lines let's not discuss him when presenter mentioned his name. I think it was around the time anti-adoption law was passed.
How did she sound when she said it? Irritated, indifferent? I just checked her Facebook friends list (idle curiosity ) and found Dinara on it, but not Marat. How disappointed his more liberal-minded friends must be with him.

Quote:
It's worse. Individuals ‘promoting homosexuality’ using internet will be fined up to 100,000 rubles.
*converts into pounds sterling* Bloody hell. Well, it's going to cost sites like Vklybe.tv, Geometria.ru etc. a pretty penny, because their galleries are heaving with photos of scantily clad dancers simulating lesbian sex. Perhaps Marat will collect the fines the next time he's in Premier Lounge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikomonstr View Post
Thanks so much for that Martina screen-cap, Monkey! I missed that the 1st time around. Hoping all is well with you (long time, no chat!) as well as everybody else here. Xo
Hope life is good with you too, Miko! Martina should collar him at the earliest opportunity. It really makes you wonder what Marat will do if one of his own kids turns out to be gay ...

Last edited by monkey247 : 06-14-2013 at 02:59 PM.
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #176
country flag mer

Quote:
How did she sound when she said it? Irritated, indifferent?
tbh I don't remember. It was just odd. First thing that came to my mind was that anti-adoption law.

Quote:
It really makes you wonder what Marat will do if one of his own kids turns out to be gay ...
He won't do anything. Something tells me that he'll follow fine tradition of russian elite and send his kids to live in Europe or USA.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #177
country flag flender

flender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond repute

I think Marat's probably just a puppet now ....
I believe he still has some decent in him but he got to play along ?

I don't know how many years he got left to spend in the Duma ...3 or 4? I hope he quit when the times come ...
flender is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #178
country flag mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flender View Post
I don't know how many years he got left to spend in the Duma ...3 or 4? I hope he quit when the times come ...
3,5 I think. Also, there is a small possibility that next elections will be earlier.

Fresh news from russian lawmakers - seems that the next thing they gonna ban is promotion of oral sex! This one must be difficult for Marat.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #179
country flag flender

flender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond reputeflender has a reputation beyond repute

flender is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #180
country flag mer

On subject of puppets, brilliant article says it all
http://www.eurozine.com/articles/201...antsev-en.html
Quote:
A paranoid Duma, for so long choreographed with such care to create the illusion of debate, has plunged into a caricature cabaret of feudal obsequiousness, typing up patriotic laws faster than the printer can print them, each MP desperate not to be the next one busted on TV, denouncing fellow Duma deputies who sided with the opposition as traitors, seeing CIA plots under every bed. The definitive law of the new age is the ban on American families adopting Russian orphans: a response to Washington's decision to publicly name corrupt Russian bureaucrats banned from entering or investing in the United States. The orphans law wasn't cooked up by sophisticated political technologists, it was pushed through by Putin himself, consciously opting to use children as a political weapon. "You think we're mad," the monstrous, armed, rich puppets seem to be saying, "we'll show you mad. You think we're bad? We'll show you bad..."...
The end of the political technologists, of the viziers, doesn't mean Russian politics is about to become real, rather it is spinning away into hallucination cubed, a nightmare dimension where there is no reference point back to reality, where puppets talk to holograms and both are convinced they are real.