Bernard's Articles and News - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #31
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernard's Articles and News

An interview with: BERNARD TOMIC

Friday, August 31, 2012

B. Tomic/A. Roddick 3-6 4-6 0-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Talk about the match.

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, he played very good. I couldn't do anything really. I think he played very good. He served well. I didn't have many chances to do anything. I think it was a good opportunity to have a test against him, to play him. I haven't played him before. He served pretty good. Felt like I needed to get some chances to break him, but he was serving too good.

Q. And talk about playing on Ashe.

BERNARD TOMIC: I was a bit nervous the first set. It's very difficult the first time to be in front of 22,000 people. It's very different. I'm used to playing in Australia. Here it's a bit different. Lucky I had that experience to play today.

Q. How are you feeling?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, different feeling playing on the backcourts than playing on the biggest stage in the world, biggest country in the world.

Q. Crowd cheered when you made a challenge. Did you find that a little intimidating?

BERNARD TOMIC: I felt like anything I did, I wasn't quite sure how to respond. The ball jumps on that court. It's different to the outside courts. I think I would like to have had an opportunity to play on it this week. It's difficult to get to hit on that court. He showed why he's been No. 1 in the world.

Q. The crowd hadn't filled in until the second set. Why did you feel you couldn't do anything? Pretty big statement to make.

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, I wasn't looking up, that's for sure. More I looked up, the more I realized how much people were there. Like I say, I feel like I needed to hit 10 minutes on the court. It's difficult. The top seeds always get the opportunity to hit on that court. Yeah, this is his home city where he plays the best. I wasn't quite comfortable I think the whole match on that court. It was very strange. It was a good experience to play on that court. I had to get confronted on that court sooner or later.

Q. What happened in the last set?

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, you go in with a plan to win. You know, he's playing well; you're nervous. He's getting you on little things. You're not quite happy with yourself. I think third set he managed to get off to a 3‑Love lead in seconds in the third set. All I could see was 3‑Love down all of a sudden in the third set. I don't think I was responding with my legs the way I should have. He was serving I think better in the second set to the start of the third, but I felt like I couldn't get a racquet on his first serve. That was the biggest key.

Q. On television, John McEnroe said your effort in the final set was borderline not trying. What are your thoughts about that?

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, I think he's probably right. Like I said, I couldn't get the racquet on the ball. Andy was playing I think really good at the net, coming into the net. Every time I wanted to pass him, he ended up hitting a half volley winner or a volley winner. He was on top of me the whole match. I can't complain. The whole match was his way from start to finish pretty much.

Q. You talk about the size of the crowd, but also the occasion of this being Roddick's last tournament. How did that dynamic play out in your head?

BERNARD TOMIC: It wasn't so much that I was worried about. I was more worried about his playing on the court. You know, you always dream as a kid to play in this arena. It's the biggest stage in the world. To play one of the biggest players in America, I was thinking about it too much leading into the match. He was serving well. So I just couldn't, you know, find my way to get out of that little zone.

Q. They made a pretty big deal of it on the last set, tanking, all that stuff.

BERNARD TOMIC: Really? What do you think?

Q. I'm not sure. I think your relaxed style sometimes people get the wrong impression.

BERNARD TOMIC: That's how I play. Do you have a problem with that?

Q. No. It was on TV. It was a big deal. Better to give you the opportunity now to talk about it surely.

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, no, that's your prediction. I have mine. That's how I play. If you think that's that, it's up to you. What is your name?

Q. Will.

BERNARD TOMIC: Will who?

Q. Will Swanton.

BERNARD TOMIC: From?

Q. Reuters.

BERNARD TOMIC: I'll remember you.

Q. Davis Cup next. What do you make of that?

BERNARD TOMIC: That's our biggest focus, I think, the whole Australian team's focus. Good question for asking. It's probably the biggest thing for us Australian players. Good to see Lleyton doing well and having a chance to get back in the World Group. That's what we're going to work for the next week before going to Hamburg. It's going to be tough as a team for Australia, but Pat is confident. We're confident. We have to play against some good clay‑courters to win.

Q. Will you stick around or what are the plans there?

BERNARD TOMIC: Pat, myself, obviously Lleyton, see how he goes, and then I've got doubles. We'll hang around New York I think until the end of Thursday or Friday.

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #32
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see the line of Bernie's thinking. The guy was talking about what was on TV, not what he thought. What prediction? Was more said? Tomic got sassy at the journo for no reason.
Maybe he knew they knew he was...
RustyOz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #33
country flag wallaby73

wallaby73 is on a distinguished road

Yeah i wasn't sure what the prediction was either...
wallaby73 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #34
country flag ogre

ogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond repute

Q. They made a pretty big deal of it on the last set, tanking, all that stuff

It was like what he heard when that question was asked was something different, something that he took as a prediction he would always tank or something. Perhaps two people spoke at once causing confusion, perhaps there was something that he himself is worried about so he imagines it is being asked.... but it was definitely like he was responding to something other than the words of the question.

Last edited by ogre : 09-02-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: p.s thanks for post the interview
ogre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #35
country flag wallaby73

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Like maybe he already had something on his mind or was just waiting for the topic to come up so when it did he already had an answer and it just came out. Or something. But I definitely agree, he didn't really answer the question.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #36
country flag wallaby73

Here is an article including Swanton's (the reporter) comments:

Quote:
Do you have a problem with that? Tomic rages over tank query

The 19-year-old lashed out at the Australian reporter when questioned about John McEnroe's accusations during television commentary that he had "tanked" during the latter stages of his second-round US Open loss.

"I feel a bit bad for him to be honest," Swanton said from New York today of his latest encounter with Tomic.

"I'm not sure if something got lost in translation [during the press conference], or if he thought that I was saying that he'd tanked. It all got a bit confused there somewhere along the line."

But Tomic's outburst has earned him few fans on Twitter, with some laughing at the teenager's bravado and his "Tony Soprano" attitude.

During commentary of the prime-time match, McEnroe labelled Tomic's effort during his 6-3 6-4 6-0 loss a "tank job".

"Tomic is teeing it up. It looks like the tank job," McEnroe said.

"This is a shame. You don't like to see this. I like to see Andy win but, other than that, it's poor.

"A well-deserved beating."

When McEnroe's comments were put to Tomic by an American journalist at the post-match press conference, Tomic surprisingly agreed.

"Well, I think he's probably right. I couldn't get the racquet on the ball," Tomic said.

"Andy was playing I think really good at the net, coming into the net."

Swanton then asked Tomic to clarify his stance on allegations of tanking, earning the wrath of the teenager who lashed out: "What do you think?"

Swanton responded that perhaps some people got the wrong impression from Tomic's relaxed style.

Tomic said: "That's how I play it. Do you have a problem with that?"

"That's your prediction. I have mine. That's how I play. If you think that's that, it's up to you."

He then asked for the journalist's name and media organisation, and said: "I'll remember ya."

Swanton today attributed Tomic's outburst to his "disaster night" and the pressure of the prime-time match against a retiring American champion.

"I feel for him in a pretty big way because the match was a huge occasion over here, with Roddick retiring. He [Tomic] was kind of thrown into the biggest sports story in America for that night," Swanton said.

"He also went straight from the court into the press conference. They normally have half an hour and they get briefed on what's likely to come up. But I think he was so peeved he just went basically from the court to the press conference, so I doubt anyone worded him up on how vicious McEnroe had been about him. The whole line of questioning probably came as a bit of a surprise."

Swanton also suspected he may have copped the blast because of his accent.

"The first time he was asked about it was by an American reporter, and it was a bit weird because he kind of agreed with McEnroe," Swanton said.

"That was also why I asked [again] because we just wanted to clarify and to see if he knew what he was saying. I'm not sure if it was just the Australian accent that made him arc up a bit."

Asked if he was concerned about potentially being blacklisted by the youngster, Swanton laughed and said there were no harsh feelings.

"It was in the heat of the moment. It's probably a bit unfair how much he has been copping it," Swanton said.
http://smh.com.au/sport/tennis/do-yo...903-2599q.html
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #37
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

No rift with coach: Tomic

AS BERNARD Tomic's career total of controversies continues to mount, the teenager insists that the recent Davis Cup exchange with coach Tony Roche should not be among them. Tomic has dismissed reports of a rift, and suggestions of a strained relationship with captain Pat Rafter. Regrets? Not even a few.

Tomic, whose latest headline-grabbing effort was for admitting he made only an ''85 per cent'' effort in his first-round loss to German Florian Mayer at the Shanghai Rolex Masters, said he called Roche when stories of a stoush sprouted from damning vision of their animated courtside conversation during his reverse singles loss to Mayer in last month's play-off tie in Hamburg.

''The only thing that happened with me and Rochey was he motivated me to go, 'Come on, Bernard, you can beat this guy', and I turned around and said that I was tight, I was feeling pressure, I couldn't hit the ball, and then people thought, 'Oh, I was having a go at him','' Tomic told The Age in Shanghai.

''He said, 'Bernard, come on, you have to beat this guy, we need this win'. It was, like, I think, 2-all in the second, I said, 'I'm tight, I can't hit the ball'. And that's all that happened. And then, little do you know, two days later and apparently I was having a fight. I talked to him [after the match], and I actually called him after I saw the paper and I was like 'did I actually say it?' and Tony said, 'No, all I remember saying was to you to to come on, lift, and you told me that you were nervous and tight', and I know Pat heard that as well. But I think I waved my hands, and I think people were thinking something [else]. But you learn all the time. I've learnt a lot this year.''

Tomic admitted he and Rafter had shared a robust discussion in Hamburg, following the captain's description of his last-set effort against Andy Roddick at the US Open as ''disgraceful''.

''Pat's an honest guy, he's a nice guy … he says what he thinks and obviously to anyone, not just me but to Marinko [Matosevic] or anyone, so I can't blame Pat,'' Tomic said.

''We obviously had a chat in Davis Cup, and I thought I played well in Davis Cup and trained well.

''Me and Pat have been [getting along] really well, we've been together the last few weeks at Davis Cup and we haven't had any issues, and he said what he needed to say, and obviously if I'm retired [later on] and there's a kid growing up and I feel I can say something [I will].

''It's not good getting bad stuff in the papers, but it wakes you up … but it's not a good thing.

''So I feel like I'm learning in every way. Everything's a good thing. Would I change anything? I wouldn't.''

The 19-year-old, who has played 25 tournaments and three Davis Cup ties this season, has entered three more tournaments for 2012, but believes he has already overplayed. ''The next few months [are] very important to me,'' Tomic said. ''I feel like I need to get back on track.''

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...010-27djd.html

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #38
country flag Ausie

Bernard Tomic

SHANGHAI, CHINA

F. MAYER/B. Tomic
6‑4, 6‑0

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Were you injured in the second set? What happened?

BERNARD TOMIC: Mentally I was, that's for sure (laughter).
It was a tough match in the first set. I knew obviously I had to play good against Florian. You know, I've learnt my lesson against him the last two times where I lost pretty easy to him.
Today, the first set was tight. I thought I had my chances in the second set. I think, you know, my lack of concentration I think costed me. I feel like, you know, my mental skills weren't there, weren't following me the way they should have been today.
There's not a lot I could have done mentally that second set. I feel that's the biggest key to my tennis. That's where I haven't been good at, the last set today.

Q. You couldn't summon the effort; is that what you're saying?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, that's sort of on the same line where I think I'm at. It's been a long year. I played a lot of tournaments. Haven't had time to rest. I think I only rested one week after Roland Garros. I think it was the wrong sort of move that I made. I think it's costing me now the last few months. My performance has not been as good.

Q. I guess it comes pretty soon after the US Open when there's a bit of controversy late in the match. How do you respond to that?

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, obviously I'm learning. It's all tough. There's a lot of things thrown at you. I feel last year was a different year. I wasn't expected to do good. That's where I came inside the top 40 at the age of 18. That's where I proved I can play.
This year has been a little bit different. It's been defending points, defending stuff. I started to feeling the pressure.
I wasn't prone to pressure growing up, 16, 17. Now I think it's starting to hit me the last five, six months. It's costing me. It's been a massive road this year. I didn't plan my schedule as I should have and it's cost me a lot of matches that I probably should have won.

Q. Is part of it because it's your second year on the tour; people perhaps were surprised by your first year and the second year they know a bit more how you play?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, it's very difficult. I mean, growing up looking at this sport, never would I have expected to come in at such a young age. With tennis these days, I feel last year and this year I've achieved so much, being inside the top 30 at my age.
Sort of the schedule that I planned this year is not the way I should have gone. I felt like that's what cost me. I couldn't concentrate all the tournaments. I was playing so many. I felt like I was playing a tournament and two days later I'm playing another tournament. I felt really that I was on the go every week and didn't have time to train, to settle down.
I think last year I had a lot more time to train. I think I played 19 tournaments. I think that's why I was doing really good.
So I think I sort of, you know, messed up this year with my schedule. I think I had a great year of getting my highest ranking, 27. But I feel I didn't plan the schedule as I should have the last six months.
I think it's a lesson to be learnt. I've learnt that I need to plan the schedule. It's a very important part of the game and how you play, I feel.

Q. When people talk about the next generation of players, people talk about guys like Raonic, Nishikori, yourself. Do you think in a way, bearing in mind your age, you're a couple years younger than those guys, people expect too much of you?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, you expect a lot more from yourself. You know, when you achieve I think at a young age, to be ranked to the position where I was, it becomes a bit up and down.
I feel like they did figure me out a little bit more this year, the players. But I feel like I played a lot of tournaments. I wasn't prepared for 10 to 15 of these tournaments. I think that's where it costed me mentally and physically in some tournaments. I feel like that's why I couldn't execute some matches and the lack of performance in some matches.
But hopefully next year I'm going to sit down and plan my schedule as best as I can.

Q. You talked about pressure before, people expecting so much more. How do you go about dealing with that? Is there something you can do to help you cope?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, I think it's a very tough tour, I've come to realize. This is my first big year. It takes a lot out of you.
I feel the pressure now is starting to kick in. I'm starting to feel that at tournaments where I defend. It's a bloody tough thing to respond to. I feel like the tougher player and better player you are, obviously you have more pressure. The guys in the top 5 have to defend a lot of stuff. For them, I couldn't imagine the pressure they have.
So this year has really proven there is pressure. It's difficult to cope with. I have to sit down now. I have some weeks off. I've got to see, start training, get the schedule right next year to perform at 100% in every tournament I can play in, and play a minimum amount of tournaments that I really should be playing.

Q. You spoke at Wimbledon that there were some personal issues going on; you weren't happy with your own effort on the practice court. Has anything changed since then?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, it has in a way. Weeks on, weeks off it does change. I put in the effort and I train. I get there and I play well. Then all of a sudden I'm back, you know, losing first round to players I should have won because mentally I wasn't there.
It's just been up and down. I've come to realize you have to be ready for every match you play at 100%, even if you're not feeling good. I think if you have more time to play, three tournaments, you have a week off or two, then you can play these tournaments and matches at 100%. Really, if you're playing the tournaments I did this year, playing every week, it takes it out of you.

Q. Back to the US Open, you talked about the mental problems. Can you say you gave 100% out there today?

BERNARD TOMIC: Today I gave about 85%. Today I gave 100% in the first set. I felt in the second set, my 100% wasn't even close to where it should be. That's where I think mentally‑‑ the mental skill is one of my biggest problems.
I'm starting to figure ways out, but it's very difficult. If you're a kid like me that grew up playing 18, 19 tournaments a year, my last year in the juniors I didn't play a lot of tournaments. I played the least amount of junior tournaments and was ranked 1 in the world.
Obviously, I made a mistake. It's a huge key. Looking back to the US Open, all those matches that I probably should have won, should have played well in, and I didn't really. I feel like I wasn't prepared for those matches.
I feel it's really important for me for next year to play three to four tournaments max and then have a week or two off, then play the next three tournaments and have a week off, play from there. Really it's not good if you're playing every week because you can't be putting in the effort you really should be putting in.

Q. How has it worked this year being based in Europe? Has that been a good thing?

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, it has. But I haven't gone back once. I've been on the road the whole time. I think, you know, playing every week, there was no time to go back. And if I didn't have a tournament that week, I would play Davis Cup for two weeks, train there with the guys. It would still be tennis, tennis, tennis.
You know, growing up when I played the best is when I trained and had weeks off to prepare and do my gym, be physically prepared. That's when I played the best. But I didn't have a chance this year to have a week off or two to train, to get ready after three or four tournaments. It's just been ongoing.
I feel I've done well in some tournaments, but mostly I haven't been doing that well. It's been costing me these matches.

Q. I wanted to know what your plans are now for the rest of the year.

BERNARD TOMIC: I'd love to answer that one (smiling).
I don't really know at this stage. I'm meant the last three tournaments to play. I don't think I'm defending anything. I don't think it's about playing for me now, playing these last three tournaments. I'll see with my dad and my coaches.
I feel like I need to figure in the next few months, very important to me. I feel like I need to get back on track. I think I need two months of good, solid training. I don't think you have time in one week to learn a lot.
I think eight, nine weeks of training can really build you up. Then from next year, I think playing a minimum amount of tournaments, 20 to 23 tournaments, would be a huge thing for me.
The end of the year, these last three tournaments, I'd love to answer, but we'll see in the next days what I decide to do. I'd love to answer that one.
Thanks, guys.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #39
country flag Ausie

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te...-1226502034143

Bernard Tomic must find new a coach, says Darren Cahill

FORMER Australian Davis Cup coach Roger Rasheed says Bernard Tomic needs a heart-to-heart with his father to nut out just what he wants from tennis.

Tomic's troubles continued on Tuesday night with a 6-2 6-0 first-round loss to Russian Mikhail Youzhny at the Swiss Indoors.

The lopsided defeat was his ninth first-round exit in 13 tournaments since the French Open and is likely to cost Tomic his place in the world's top 50.

Tomic, who turned 20 on Sunday, withdrew from last week's Stockholm Open citing fatigue after admitting to only giving ``about 85 per cent'' in his previous outing at the Shanghai Masters.

His effort in China followed condemnation from grand slam champions John McEnroe and Australian Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter for a similarly-lacklustre display at the US Open and led to the youngster being cruelly branded #tomicthetankengine on Twitter.

Respected analyst Darren Cahill, the former coach of world No.1s Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi, on Tuesday urged Tomic to call an immediate end to his flagging season.

"Someone needs to put Bernie Tomic on the flying kangaroo. Year was done weeks ago. Charge up the batteries, get faster & stronger for 2013," Cahill tweeted.

"For what it's worth, I think Roger Rasheed would be a good coaching fit for Bernard Tomic. Plenty of support in Rafter, Roche, Todd.W & co."

Rasheed, also a one-time coach of Hewitt and Frenchman Gael Monfils, says Tomic needs to have a serious talk with his father and coach John.

"Ok, time for Bernard Tomic to sit down with his father & work out what he (Bernie) wants from the sport - A long term plan & Enjoyment needed,'' Rasheed tweeted from Paris.

Tomic, who reached a career-high No.27 in the world after making the second round at Roland Garros when seeded at a grand slam for the first time, hasn't beaten a higher-ranked opponent since the Australian Open.

It was at Melbourne Park after Tomic lost to Roger Federer in the fourth round that the Swiss great challenged Australia's two-time grand slam junior champion to carry his form onto the smaller stages.

Tomic has always proven a big-stage performer, last year becoming the youngest player since Boris Becker in 1985 to reach the Wimbledon quarter-finals and also being the youngest player ever to win a main-draw men's singles match at the Australian Open in 2009.

But he has failed miserably to meet Federer's challenge in 2012, suffering a dozen first-round losses in total.

His best result was a semi-final showing at the season-opening Brisbane International and quarter-finals in Bangkok, Munich and Delray Beach.

Tomic's latest loss has him in danger of slipping from world No.48 to outside the top 50 and also vulnerable to being overtaken by the 51st-ranked Marinko Matosevic as Australian No.1.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #40
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is all Bernard Tomic has ever known, but is it what he really wants?

Nick Smart
News Limited Network
October 25, 20121:11PM

Quote:
WHAT'S eating Bernard Tomic?

From brushes with the law to fuming at journalists and accusations of tanking in matches, it has been the year from hell for the young tennis prodigy.

The alarm bells were ringing well before his recent 6-4 6-0 first round loss at the Shanghai Masters, in which he admitted to giving only "85 per cent."

It came not long after he was accused by John McEnroe of "tanking it" in his US Open capitulation against Andy Roddick.

That was on the court this year.

Off it, Tomic ended up in court on the Gold Coast after being pulled over three times on Australia Day for breaching driving restrictions in his high-powered and very distinctive orange BMW.

Add it all up and it has many wondering what is really going on with the wunderkind.

People forget he is still very young, but many believe it goes deeper than that.

Much deeper.

More and more, the burning question is becoming clear - is tennis what Tomic really wants to do?

Has anyone actually ever asked him?

The young man in question has never had a say in the matter.

Maybe he does - when he turns it on he looks destined to become a top-10 player.

To people on the Gold Coast, he appears much older than his 20 years, because it feels like he has been on the scene forever. And maybe that time in the spotlight is starting to weigh on Tomic.

He's had a tennis racquet in his hand from since he could remember with an overbearing father in the background who spruiked him at every opportunity.

Before he was old enough to shave, little Bernie was telling journalists he wanted to be world No.1 and hold every Grand Slam title by the age of 20.

The approach, mixed with Tomic's obvious talent and hard work, helped him to a six-figure, three-year deal with global sports management giant IMG at age 13.

A deal with Nike soon followed.

"He has made the best deal in history for his age,'" Tomic's father, John, told the Gold Coast Bulletin at the time.

"We are satisfied with the contract ... they are very kind people."

John Tomic, who drove taxis when he arrived in Australia to support his family, bought a 50c tennis racquet for Bernard at a Gold Coast garage sale and the rest is history.

Soon Bernard was training nearly every day at the Queen's Park Tennis Centre in Southport, just north of Surfers Paradise.

Many on-lookers were shocked to see the father loudly barking orders at his son day after day, hour after hour.

Tomic Snr, who trained himself to become a tennis coach, never made any apologies for his hard-nosed approach.

After all, he was training his son to become the best.

The Tomic patriarch would welcome journalists into Team Tomic with gusto.

The first time this journalist interviewed Tomic on the Gold Coast, the budding star had just turned 14.

I found him to be a well mannered, shy, a nice kid dealing with a lot on his plate.

His father, meanwhile, whose thick accent made him difficult at times to understand, was intense, intimidating and always hovering.

As his son hit balls in front of us, he enjoyed telling me what I should be writing about Bernard.

He is this, he is that.

He will be great, but he needs to work on this and this.

I got a sense of the pressure he was under when an older man at the tennis centre, who knew the Tomics, came over to half-jokingly ask Bernard for a seat in his box at Wimbledon down the track.

"You will be there with us," John Tomic replied with a wide grin.

The 14-year-old just smiled as well as he collected tennis balls while the hot Gold Coast sun bore down on us.

Make no mistake of it, Tomic Snr is an intimidating character.

Scary, even.

The second you wrote something he deemed even mildly negative or not to his liking, you were cut off and so was your organisation for as long as he deemed fit.

It was very much a case of you are either with us or against us.

There were no shades of grey in his world.

This journalist was blacklisted in 2007 for reporting that Tennis Australia had cut Tomic's funding for what they deemed a lack of effort during a French Open juniors match.

When quizzed about it not long afterwards, Tomic Jnr spoke maturely and said he had learnt from it.

His father, however, was livid it was reported in his hometown newspaper.

A few years later, a former colleague built up some trust with Tomic Snr and and became close to the family over time.

But he was also immediately cut off for a story on Tomic's former fitness co-ordinator, who said the teenager needed to put in the hard work off the court.

On the same page as that story, famed tennis coach Nick Bolletteri said Tomic would turn into one "hell of a player".

The closest thing to a public blow-up between the two Tomics came at a tournament in Miami of this year, when Tomic tried to have his dad thrown out of the stadium.

"He's annoying. I know he's my father but he's annoying me. I want him to leave but how's that possible?" Tomic asked the chair umpire.

This was far more significant than a few years earlier when the father ordered his son off the court during a match in Perth.

It is now later October and Tomic is still struggling.

It has led respected analyst Darren Cahill to suggest he must have a heart-to-heart with his father and find a new coach.

"Ok, time for Bernard Tomic to sit down with his father & work out what he (Bernie) wants from the sport - A long term plan & Enjoyment needed,'' Rasheed tweeted from Paris.

That's it in a nutshell - what does Tomic want?

If this is what he wants, he could do worse than to listen to Rasheed's advice.

After all, there is little doubt he has what it takes to be one of the world's best players.

But to get there, he may need to change his methods.

John Tomic loves his son.

But sometimes one needs to know when to take a step back.

In this case, that one step back might be what enables his son to move forward.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te...-1226502593125
Givenchy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #41
country flag Ausie

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ten...OgqV-c.twitter

Tennis star Bernard Tomic under police investigation after a Surfers Paradise brawl

IF only he fought so long and so hard on the court.

Tennis ace Bernard Tomic is in strife with the law yet again after turning on police during an early morning brawl following a wild night of partying at Surfers Paradise.

Officers were called to the Moroccan Apartments on the glitter strip at 5.30am yesterday after a fight broke out in the spa between Tomic and a male friend. When police arrived they separated the two before Tomic turned on officers.

He reminded police of "who he was" and accused them of running a hate campaign against him after his Australia Day run-in this year.

Police sources said Tomic appeared to be agitated.

The incident comes just days before he is due to face Southport Magistrates Court on a string of hooning charges, including evading police.

On Australia Day this year, Tomic was issued a $300 ticket for driving his bright orange BMW M3 V8 in breach of the special conditions of his licence. Queensland law bans P-platers under 25 from driving eight-cylinder cars. Tomic had an exemption to drive to training.

Tomic was also charged with not keeping his $150,000 car to the left of the double dividing road lines and failing to stop for police. He has previously pleaded not guilty to the charges.

While police have not charged him over this latest run-in, it is still under investigation. The latest incident tops off Tomic's annus horribilis, a year best forgotten both on and off the court.

The man once considered Australia's next great tennis hope has slid from a ranking of 28 to 49 in recent months following a lacklustre performance that has seem him only twice make it past the second round of a tournament.

His efforts have earned him the moniker "Tomic the Tank Engine" after he was accused by John McEnroe of "tanking it" in his US Open capitulation to Andy Roddick.

Tomic's high-profile defence lawyer Chris Nyst said yesterday: "So far as I am aware, there's no suggestion Mr Tomic has committed any offence of any kind. If there is, he certainly hasn't been charged or even questioned about it. So I'm really not sure what all the ruckus is about.

"Obviously the police have seen some use in splashing these allegations in the media, which is pretty unfortunate, particularly given Mr Tomic has to conduct a trial against police in court next week."

Tomic celebrated his 20th birthday last weekend and it is understood the birthday bender lasted for days.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #42
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't bear to watch Bernard Tomic, says first coach Neil Guiney
BY: CHIP LE GRAND From: The Australian November 01, 2012 12:00AM

Quote:
THE man who built Bernard Tomic's game says he can hardly bear to watch him play any more. Neil Guiney, who coached Tomic from the age of seven until his launch on to the professional tour, says Tomic must decide whether he wants to play tennis for a living or do something else.

"He is just floundering at the moment," the 80-year-old Guiney said from his home in Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast.

"He goes out there and he is really not competing. Once the pressure really comes on, he just folds. No one knows exactly what is going on in Bernard's mind, but he looks to me like a lost soul out there.

"There is a hell of a lot at stake at the moment and he is really at that point in the road where he has got to take stock."

Tomic is back in the news after Gold Coast police were called to an early morning incident at a hotel spa. However, Tomic's problems have less to do with hot tubs than the hot-house pressure of the men's tour where, at age 20, his world ranking and standing in the sport is in steady decline.

As with any athlete having a wretched run, there is no shortage of advice for Tomic from fellow players, coaches and officials. Yet few people outside of Tomic's family know him as well as Guiney, the coach who taught him him to play.

Guiney says the way to tell whether Tomic has his head in the game is to watch his posture when he is receiving serve. If Tomic has his knees bent and his body low, he has come to play. If he is standing upright on the baseline like he is waiting for a bus, he is telling everyone who knows him he is not interested. Too often this year, Guiney has watched Tomic on TV and seen him "standing up like a stick". This was how Tomic waited to return the serve of American Andy Roddick at this year's US Open, where the Australian was accused by commentator John McEnroe of tanking the match.

Guiney remains fond of Tomic and Tomic's father, John, is an unabashed fan of Guiney. In an interview with The Australian this year, John Tomic described Guiney as the best coach in the world.

Guiney believes Tomic's relationship with his father is now part of the problem. "There is a sort of dysfunctional scene out there," he said. "It is a little like a soapie on television.

"One of his problems is Bernard knows a lot more about it than his father now. His father is there calling the tune and screaming and yelling and Bernard just shuts his ears. So you have got a terrible situation there. He is out of his depth and I think John is out of his depth."

Guiney believes the glaring weakness in Tomic's game is his fitness. Where the best players in the world are prepared to run each other ragged in search of major titles, Tomic cannot keep pace. "There is no inventiveness, there is no change of game," Guiney said.

"There is just this constant plod, plod, plod. I think that is in his mind. He is not fit enough to do what he is trying to do and once his bubble is burst or he loses a set, it just gets worse. You don't see him dig in.

"It is every match now. I can hardly bear to watch him. He is not out there fighting. He is going through the motions and going nowhere."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226507852115
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #43
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

100% accurate assessment from the former coach. Something has to change...

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #44
country flag Givenchy

In this new interview Pat Cash says Bernard is looking for a coach, but we'll see if it actually happens.

Quote:
Cash on Tomic:

He’s looking for a full-time coach at the moment, and his father has said that he’s willing to step back. His father called me about it, so I think they’re talking to a few people. I said to his father that he will struggle to find a good coach who is willing to travel with him full-time. There are good coaches out there, but anyone who takes this on is probably going to have deal with his BS. Tomic has a lot of things he needs to work on. I don’t think anyone who has won a grand slam as a coach or a player is going to be willing to travel with him. What he probably needs right now is a coach who’s a father figure, and probably a mate, too. It’s not something that I would consider as I have too much going on.
http://www.thetennisspace.com/pat-ca...-a-good-coach/
Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #45
country flag Givenchy

Bernard Tomic's father John rejects claims the 20-year-old tennis player is burnt out and needs a break

by: Jeremy Pierce From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) November 04, 2012 12:00AM

Quote:
BERNARD Tomic's father and coach John has hit out at claims the tennis wonder kid is burnt out and descending into a downward spiral.

The 20-year-old star, who faces a courtroom hearing on driving charges on the Gold Coast tomorrow, made headlines yet again this week after another run-in with police at a Surfers Paradise resort.

Tennis greats have said Tomic needs an extended break from the game - and his dad - but John Tomic said the world No.49's career was still on track.

Speaking exclusively to The Sunday Mail, Tomic Sr said there was no crisis.

"In the Tomic camp and the Tomic family there's still plenty of energy to deliver the desire that we had 10 years ago," he said. "We have to work hard to be a success and that is what we will do."

The young star reportedly arrived on the Gold Coast with a goal to down the racquets for a month and "run amok".

For most of the world's stars, November is a rare month off ahead of preparations for a relentless 11-month season.

"We are in the off-season," John Tomic said. "We will start again at the end of the month."

He refused to comment on calls from some of Australia's most respected tennis figures that Bernard needs a break from the game and his father should hand over the coaching reins to somebody else.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226509835894