Bernard's Articles and News - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernard's Articles and News

Bad Boy Bernie's $1.5m nest on market

Quote:
Bernard Tomic's Southport bachelor pad is on the market for $700,000 but is listed alongside the adjoining family home with a combined price tag of $1.5 million.

The three-bedroom townhouse, in Lenneberg St, is also available for rent.

Fully renovated, the bachelor pad includes a private indoor pool, entertaining deck, two bathrooms and tiled floors throughout.

Tomic's father John owns both townhouses.

Southport councillor and close family friend Dawn Crichlow said the Tomics were looking for a more secure Gold Coast base.

"Because the family travel overseas so much for Bernard's tennis they want a base with extra security, so they don't have to worry as much," she said.

"A large high rise unit would be the perfect solution and as far as I know that is the plan.
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Givenchy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute

Scud says Tomic needs to ramp up serve
Darren Walton
June 20, 2012 - 12:59PM

Quote:
Former finalist Mark Philippoussis fears Bernard Tomic lacks the serving firepower to be a realistic hope of breaking Australia's 10-year Wimbledon title drought.

Tomic last year became the youngest men's quarter-finalist at the All England Club since Boris Becker in 1985 and he'll be seeded at the grasscourt grand slam for the first time when it gets underway on Monday.

Philippoussis, runner-up to Roger Federer in 2003, has high hopes for the 19-year-old.

But Tomic has yet to conquer Federer, Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic - who have shared the past nine titles at Wimbledon - and Philippoussis says his teenage countryman will continue to struggle against the top dogs until he develops a more explosive serve.

"He's 6'4", 6'5" - he's got to have a bigger serve. He needs to have free points out there," Philippoussis told AAP.

"You can't wait for someone to miss because these guys just don't miss anymore. So you need to have weapons to hurt people and to get out of tough situations instead of grinding out of a point.

"He's got a good serve, but it's kind of a tricky serve. He paints the corners well, but he just needs to be a bigger server.

"There's no reason why he shouldn't be because he's a big guy. He just doesn't utilise his body and his size at all on his serve, from what I see."

Nicknamed Scud for his own missile-like delivery, Philippoussis said there was no doubting Tomic's immense talent.

"He's a little unconventional, which is good," he said.

"He's a great counter-puncher. He's very mature with the way he reads the game - he understands the game - and Wimbledon is one of his best surfaces for sure because of the way he plays.

"But he's still young and there's a couple of things that are very, very important for him to address for him to get to that top 10, top five, where he wants to go."

Philippoussis is keen to see how the world No.27 copes with having to defend a substantial number of rankings points from making the quarter-finals last year as an unseeded outsider.

"He's never done anything like that before," he said.

"It's different when no one expects you to do well coming into a grand slam and then you do well and it's also different when you've done well and then you know you've got to defend some points.

"So it will be interesting to see how he handles that - but he's very talented and has a great game. His groundstrokes are great."
http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/bre...620-20ned.html
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
country flag The_Aussie17
Banned!

The_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually dont think Bernie needs a massive serve to win Wimbledon even this year, i think he has the tennis smarts way above the level of what the poo ever had as well as some other big serves on the court today, obviously it would be handy if he had a bigger serve but i dont think he needs it, i reckon he can beat Nadal, Djokovic and Murray on the grass but i dont believe he can beat Roger just yet, i hope he gets a fairly easy draw and maybe Murray or Ferrer in his 16!
The_Aussie17 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
country flag Givenchy

Tomic bombs out at Eastbourne
Darren Walton
June 21, 2012 - 4:29AM

Quote:
Tomic looked to be cruising at a set up and having the Italian love-40 on serve in the second game of the second set and admitted he didn't know himself quite how he blew it.

"I said to myself after the match 'what exactly happened?'" Tomic said.

"I was that far ahead in the second and the third and then losing it, it's a tough feeling.

"I'm just happy that it happened here and not next week.

"It was disappointing. But he was the better player today."

His surprise defeat came in his return match after retiring with stomach cramps at 5-2 down against Tommy Haas in the opening round at Halle last week.

"I played a few bad points when I didn't need to and he played well and there's not really much more I can do," Tomic said.

"I was lucky that I was back healthy this week and playing well and having a chance."
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...621-20oxe.html
Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #20
country flag Givenchy

Short video interview after loss today

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-eve...&cat=Main+draw
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #21
country flag Givenchy

Tomic in Wimbledon fitness battle
Darren Walton
June 21, 2012 - 10:39AM

Quote:
Bernard Tomic is shunning the London spotlight and bunkering down on the English south coast as he races the clock to be fully fit for Wimbledon starting on Monday.

Australia's leading men's contender confessed to being only 80 per cent physically ready for the biggest challenge of his career after suffering a startling third-set collapse against Italian claycourter Fabio Fognini on Wednesday.

A week after retiring with stomach cramps while trailing Tommy Haas 5-2 in Halle, Tomic lost his only other grasscourt match before Wimbledon, 4-6 6-3 7-5 to Fognini at Eastbourne.

After leading 5-2 in the deciding set, Tomic dropped the last five games to the world No.61 and then admitted he was fortunate to be back on court competing at all after a week from hell at his European base in Monte Carlo.

The 19-year-old had planned a week of R & R after the French Open following a draining six-week claycourt stretch that secured his career-high ranking world No.27 heading into the grasscourt major.

Instead he fell sick, a virus leaving his Wimbledon preparation in disarray.

"I was bad for three or four days prior to Halle," Tomic told AAP.

"I was resting in Monaco where I somehow got it, so I'm lucky it went away the last few days and I'm actually feeling right to go.

"I'm back to normal, which is good, but I wouldn't say that physically I'm 100 per cent. That's why I need these few days to get ready for Monday, Tuesday.

"But I think I'm back to 80 per cent, which is good. I've got these next three days which are very, very important for next week."

Tomic described his elevation to 20th seed at the All England Club - a reward for reaching the quarter-finals last year as a qualifier - as "huge".

But he admitted having to defend the bundle of rankings points accrued from his great 2011 run was pressure of a type he'd never experienced before.

"It's tough," he said.

"But last year I won seven matches. This year I need to win four to get to the same place.

"It's good to know they announced the seedings and I got the 20th seed, which is a huge thing.

"If you make it to the third round, you eliminate playing the top eight. The most important thing for me will be to win those first two matches on grass to get maybe into the third round.

"Then I'll open up like I did last year and be more relaxed."

Tomic is entitled to use his seeding to gain practise-court privileges at the All England Club, but will try to fly under the radar at Eastbourne until Saturday instead.

"I'm going to stay here, use the gym here and keep more of a low profile," he said.

"I've got to work hard, five or six hours the next four days, to peak where I want to be next Monday or Tuesday."
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...621-20pgk.html
Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #22
country flag Givenchy

Aussie Wimbledon hopes nosedive
Darren Walton
June 21, 2012 - 1:54PM

Quote:
Australia's Wimbledon stocks have plummeted days out from the biggest tournament of the year.

Bernard Tomic's disturbing collapse against lowly-ranked Italian claycourter Fabio Fognini at windy Eastbourne on Wednesday followed equally dire tournament lead-ups for former champion Lleyton Hewitt and Australia's top-ranked player Samantha Stosur.

All three will arrive at the All England Club alarmingly short of match practice - without a competitive grasscourt win between them since Tomic's Davis Cup victory over Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka at Royal Sydney last September.
Quote:
Tomic's 4-6 6-3 7-5 inexplicable capitulation from 5-2 up in the third set against Fognini was the final indignity for Australia's three leading Wimbledon hopes.

"I asked myself after the match - 'what happened?' I was so far up in the third set," Tomic said.

The 19-year-old's only other grasscourt outing during the brief Wimbledon build-up was a retirement with stomach cramps when trailing Tommy Haas 5-2 in the first set last week at Halle.

He confessed to being physically at "80 per cent" five days out from Wimbledon and his only consolation came in the form of generous officials who promoted the 27th-ranked Tomic to 20th seed on Wednesday.

Tomic was the major beneficiary of the Wimbledon's grasscourt seeding formula which recognised his impressive run to the quarter-finals last year.

The teenager was the youngest player to reach the last eight at London's famous SW19 venue since Boris Becker in 1986, but now he's battling to be ready to defend a truckload of rankings points.

"I've got to work hard, five or six hours the next four days, to peak where I want to be next Monday or Tuesday," he said.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...621-20pxn.html
Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
country flag Givenchy

It's love-all for Hewitt and Tomic
Linda Pearce, London
June 25, 2012

Quote:
BELATEDLY but significantly, Lleyton Hewitt and Bernard Tomic have practised together at Wimbledon. A cool afternoon on lush court 19. A small but watchful audience. If only this had occurred three years ago, when Hewitt did the inviting and Tomic - infamously - the declining on the tournament's middle Sunday, Australian tennis would have been spared a ball-bucket full of grief.

How much more harmonious everything appears now, and how greatly circumstances have altered. Hewitt, the fading warrior, needed a wildcard into the main draw of the tournament he was the last Australian to win, back in 2002; Tomic, his still-young successor, seeded 20th at the place where he announced himself by reaching the quarter-finals as a qualifier last year. One on his way up; the other, well, not.

They co-anchor a Davis Cup team, so this is not the first time the once-estranged pair has shared a court together. They also have a common sponsor, and matching mini-Australian flags next to the names on their racquet bags, yet in most respects could not be more different.

Hewitt so intense, so driven. Still striving, despite his three children, many years of injuries and recently rebuilt bionic big toe. The languid Tomic, with his trick shots, his laid-back, boys-just-wanna-have-fun approach to tennis and life, his ''I like to take the normal out of tennis'' philosophy reiterated this week. Rivals, of sorts, for a while. But not really, not any more.

The pair practised easily for about 40 minutes before spending the last 20 in matchplay, Hewitt with veteran coach Tony Roche, close mate Brett Smith and regular training partner Peter Luczak in his corner, Tomic's father John patrolling the other baseline, chatting for a while to spectators Wally Masur and Pat Rafter, the former Davis Cup coach next to the captain.

The occasion was also noted by those wandering along the adjacent path to the practice courts at Aorangi. Indeed, on a quiet day at the All England Club, it was remarked upon by several international player agents, coaches and observers. Australian tennis watchers know that any festering disputes were disinfected some time ago, but this symbolism was too public to be ignored.

At one stage, Roche (owner of 16 grand slam titles) even had a light-hearted hit with Tomic senior (self-taught former taxi driver). It was fair to say that Roche showed the better technique, yet the idea of such an event happening at all would have been unthinkable during the height of the ill-will that followed what Team Hewitt regarded as an unforgivable show of disrespect back in 2009.

But that was then. Hewitt is a future Davis Cup captain, and Tomic is both the future of Australian men's tennis and its present. Both play their first-round matches tomorrow - Hewitt against fifth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Tomic opposed to Belgian wildcard David Goffin.

And the practice match? For the record, there appeared to be no service breaks. Fittingly, considering what has already been repaired.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...#ixzz1yigOf4vu
Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
country flag wallaby73

wallaby73 is on a distinguished road

http://theage.com.au/sport/tennis/ba...623-20vef.html

Back to the beginning
Linda Pearce
June 24, 2012

Quote:
PAT Rafter and Bernard Tomic have collaborated at four Davis Cup ties, and yet the Australian captain chuckles when asked how he finds guiding his unorthodox young star. ''No, no, there's no guiding from me - I realise that!'' laughs Rafter. ''I just sit back and watch it all develop. Or 'unfold', is probably a better word.

''There are certain things throughout the match I'd like to try and help him with, but I find that the more I talk to him the worse it is, so I generally sit back and say nothing.'' So Tomic's not interested in what Rafter has to say at courtside? ''Yeah, [he is] in a way, but he goes off and does his own thing. And he's a smart kid. He knows what he's doing.''

And, typically, doing it his way, with extraordinary haste. Just 12 months ago, the Queenslander entered the Wimbledon main draw through qualifying, ranked 158th. When he departed after that audacious run to the last eight, it was with three top-50 scalps and after giving eventual champion Novak Djokovic an admirable quarter-final test.

But this year's will be a different kind of examination for the 19-year-old with the love of low-bouncing grass and fast-moving cars. Tomic returns as the world No. 27 and 20th seed, starting with should-win openers against David Goffin and either Jesse Levine or Karol Beck, before the prospect of 10th seed Mardy Fish in round three. But he also has a swag of points on the line and a reputation that precedes him. He is no longer the kid with nothing to lose.

''It's the first time that Bernard's gone into a major championship with something big to defend, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles that pressure; it'll be a sign of how long it might take before we really see him contend to actually win a grand slam,'' says nine-time Wimbledon doubles champion Todd Woodbridge, now Tennis Australia's head of professional tennis.

''I think it's probably another three years. Physically, he's matured enormously in the past 12 months, his movement has certainly improved, but I still think it's got that next level to go, because you see the best players in the world playing their best tennis around 24, 25, 26 right now, and I think he's still got to get to that part physically to be able to achieve that.

''Mentally, though, when he's switched on, and when he's engaged in it, he's as good as anybody.''
The surface is another big factor, for the degree to which it suits Tomic's unusual game. Indeed, of the four grand slams, the unique nature of grass and abbreviated length of its season make Wimbledon the least comfortable for most players; typically, the list of genuine contenders is short. Is Tomic one of them?
Rafter: ''If he plays like he plays at the Aussie Open, that type of good tennis, if he brings that to Wimbledon, where there's only a handful of guys who can win it, then, sure, he can be one of those.''
Pat Cash, the 1987 Wimbledon champion, agrees that ''it's always easier being the underdog, of course, with no pressure as long as you don't get overwhelmed by the big names''. But that has never been Tomic's issue, and nor is there a problem handling occasions that can stifle others. ''He's a kid who doesn't mind that sort of thing,'' says Rafter. ''And he's a good grasscourt player. He'll be tough to play, tough to beat.''

Yet what he may lack is a little of the surprise element that he brought to SW19 last year, when his talents and potential were acknowledged by his peers on the circuit, but fewer had seen his quirky style firsthand. The off-paced balls, the angles, the junk, the tricky slice - mixed with some hard, flat ball-striking.
Tomic has an innate understanding of the game, and prides himself on his ability to find and work on his opponent's weaknesses. ''You've got to have your own [court] sense,'' he said recently. ''No one taught me how to play. I kind of taught myself and became good at it.''

Adds Rafter: ''He's different. He's got great hands. He may not be the best athlete, but he makes up for it in other ways. He's as talented as most of the guys in the top 10, I would say. But he's a different talent.''
Woodbridge still sees deficiencies in Tomic's movement and consistency, while pointing out that his court coverage is less able to be exposed on grass than the slow clay the teenager endures rather than enjoys. ''He has the other guys off balance. The slice backhand's a beautiful shot on grass, he likes the ball low, he's a flat ball-hitter, so it comes more into his hitting zones,'' says the former Wimbledon semi-finalist. ''He puts the ball in places where the modern player doesn't like it, and he can do that better on grass than any other surface, which is the least favourite surface, probably, of three-quarters of the draw. So he likes it, and plays better. And they don't.''

Yet Woodbridge is also a little surprised that, with some exceptions, such as Croatian Marin Cilic, Tomic's ATP rivals still ''haven't quite worked him out'' as thoroughly as expected, given that this is his 13th major championship since his Australian Open debut in 2009. ''That's the impressive thing: that everyone on the tour knows him now, but he still worries so many guys. He still rattles them more than they can counteract him, and that's to do with his smarts, and how well he reads the game.''

Mark Woodforde does not believe the burden of the points defence will be significant, for Tomic is still so young that any setback would constitute only a temporary blip. But there is great interest in how the encore to last year's thrilling first act plays out. ''I think he might be a big-stage player and ready to duplicate a similar result,'' says Woodforde. ''His game sets up well for the grass … and 12 months down the track, Bernie is stronger and fitter and much more experienced. He's a danger.''

His preparation has been problematic, however. With a stomach virus prompting Tomic's retirement just seven games into his first-round match in Halle against Tommy Haas, and counting last week's first-up loss from a commanding position against Fabio Fognini at Eastbourne, he has passed the second round in just two of his 13 tournaments since excelling in Australia in January. But this is Wimbledon, where, in 2011, it all began. ''I come back one year after, and one year more mature and stronger; I think that going one further if I get the right draw and play the right tennis is possible for me,'' Tomic said last week. ''Some people are saying 'you could win' and I think if I get, maybe get to the quarters again, then from there I think I have the belief and I can maybe do it.''

Last edited by wallaby73 : 06-25-2012 at 05:58 AM.
wallaby73 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
country flag wallaby73

Tomic Ready To Deliver on Big Stage
Darren Walton
June 25, 2012

Quote:
Bernard Tomic is banking on his big-match temperament and funky style to get him through to the second week of Wimbledon for the second year running.

Tomic admits he's under pressure as he defends quarter-final points accrued during his exciting run to the last eight out of qualifying last year.

His form and health have been a major concern, but the 19-year-old - who also reached the last 16 at the Australian Open before running into Roger Federer - says returning to the All England Club will bring out his best.

"I'm really excited. Grass is always for me my favourite surface," Tomic told AAP ahead of his first-round clash on Tuesday with promising young Belgian David Goffin.
"I feel like I can do like I did last year and being sick last week when Tommy (Haas) won the tournament is a good sign too."

The teenager was referring to Haas's victory over Federer in the Halle final just a few days after the German veteran defeated an ailing Tomic in the opening round.

Tomic was trailing 5-2 in the opening set before packing it in as he battled a sapping virus.
Australia's 20th seed believes his unusual game is perfectly suited to grass.
"You have to play differently on it," he said.

"Grass is hard to get the ball up high - it's always low and that's where I prefer it and these guys don't prefer it on the tour these days.

"Eighty, 90 per cent of the tour is guys that love to play on the clay. They play on hard court as well and they get to the grass courts and they choke up.

"That's why they struggle against my game because I take a bit of the normal out of tennis."
It was actually Tomic who struggled in his last grasscourt outing before Wimbledon.
But he put his capitulation from 5-2 up in the third set against Italian Fabio Fognini at Eastbourne last week down to being only 80 per cent fit and also a concentration lapse, which he needed to address.

"Yeah, it happens a lot," Tomic said.

"You look at the top players, they have to play against lower-ranked players because they're at the top.
"But you can only get back and better. You're not going to get to No.1 at the age of 19 nowadays."
http://brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking...625-20xph.html
Old 06-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #26
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

D. GOFFIN/B. Tomic

3‑6, 6‑3, 6‑4, 6‑4

Q. How disappointing is that?

BERNARD TOMIC: It's hard. You know, to see what you did last year and to lose first round is difficult. But, you know, there's a reason why I lost, I have to say. You know, I think I lost because he played much better and I wasn't playing the right tennis. No excuse.

I think the last few weeks have been a little bit tough on me. I have gone through a match where I should have won and been sick for a week. But, you know, look, I take that as a learning curve. You're not going to improve unless you learn, I think.

That's why it's important for me at a young age, for any player that's young, is to, I think, lose. You're only going to come back stronger if you keep losing.

I can't say anything wrong. He played well today from the second set onwards.

Q. You're saying no excuses, but physically how were you? You seemed to clutch your back a few times and looked a little bit out of sorts.

BERNARD TOMIC: I thought I was going to be ready. Like last week I was 70, 80%. But still it's tough to get through that three, four days, you know. I tried as much as I could, but there was a period where it was raining for a day and a half.

You know, I was feeling good in that first set. It's just that concentration level that I dropped, and, you know, allowed a player probably of his quality to get back into the match. Any player that's in the top 100 is going to take that and come back into the match.

Q. What was he doing that you couldn't seem to stay focused on?

BERNARD TOMIC: It wasn't probably what he was doing, it was what was going on with me throughout my head.

You know, I wasn't thinking straight at that time. I thought, you know, being one set to love up that everything was going to go away. But, you know, people want to get back into the match, and I allowed him to get back.

After I played too defensive and he was relaxed and just going for his shots.

Q. Last year you were the golden boy coming through and getting through the quallies and into the quarters and getting a set off Djokovic; now this year, you know, he qualified as a lucky loser at Roland Garros and played all the way to the round of 16 and got a set off Federer. Does it feel like you guys have exchanged places? Turned the table?

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, look, he's 21; I'm 18, 19. I've gotten into the top 30. It's different. He has time and he's going to obviously be a top‑30 player. He has great groundstrokes.

But I think what I've lacked the last few weeks is, you know, the consistency, and it's tough to get. Hopefully the Olympics will be good to me. It's played here on grass. I've got tournaments I'm playing in Stuttgart and Hamburg, so I think I've got time to catch up to where I was here.

Q. The racquet obviously took a pounding. Was that today the frustration or was it three weeks' worth of frustration building up?

BERNARD TOMIC: I'm not normally like that, but it's a good I guess sign of relief when you smash a racquet. I don't normally do it. It's not like I will keep continuing to do it.

I feel like, you know, I couldn't control myself because I was playing pretty tight and defensive, and, you know, he was playing relaxed. That's what happens sometimes.
You look at that last year, what I did was I was relaxed. It was the opposite side. What can you do?

Q. You didn't seem too thrilled that three times umpiring errors turned winners into replays.

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, well, I mean, there were a few close calls, and just that's tennis.

Q. Is that something you learn to deal with, the frustration, you have to channel it in rather than take it out on the racquet?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, I mean, I don't usually do that, but, I mean, like it's a mental skill. It's a skill you need to have. You look at the guys in the top 3. Mentally they're the most strong. If you look at the athletes that have dominated the world, they're all strong.

Mentally growing up I've been great, but obviously you're going to get times when you're young things won't go your way. But just think one day I will find this balance, within the next six months, year. I'm still young, but I've got to find it eventually.

Q. The balance you talk about, how does the coaching situation feed into that?

BERNARD TOMIC: The coaching situation, yeah, I mean, look, I can't complain. I think it's been more me the last eight weeks ‑ I think even on clay ‑ where I afforded a lot of losses.

You know, if I look back to going on the clay court season, I was up I think in four matches with four tournaments, I was up 5‑2, 5‑3 in the third just like what I was doing last week. It's just weird.

My concentration has been up and down, dropping. It's not no one's fault, but I've got to get back on that track where I was playing the start of the year.

Q. This is the first big tournament where you've had a lot to defend. Did you feel that was a burden, and did it play any role in your performances?

BERNARD TOMIC: No. To be honest, it didn't feel like that. It just felt my tennis wasn't where I wanted it to be to play. I wasn't scared about the points to defend. I was just worried. I was upset with my game today, the way I was playing. I couldn't execute my shots.

That's different when you go through last year being relaxed and being allowed to play. This year I go with the feeling of you're having to defend some points, but also you're not also feeling 100%. You're not playing the way you should be. You know, there is a lot of things that have been going on.

I'm going to take a few days off. I've got to get back on track. I know it will happen sooner or later, but you can't do that without hard work. To be honest, I haven't been really working hard the last two months. Just been up and down.

Q. Your whole career has been up and up and up. Now that you have a lull here, how are your confidence levels?

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, what are you trying to say?

Q. No, I'm just saying is this a setback for you or you take it as sort of a blip?

BERNARD TOMIC: Well, look, if you say I'm going down with one tournament then I don't know what the hell you're talking about. You can look at it that way, but I think I've got eight months where I have points to defend, so we'll go back to that question in six months.

Q. You mentioned not working hard enough. Why is that the case?

BERNARD TOMIC: Good point. I think, look, to have talent is one thing. To have talent, it's huge for any sport.

I think the last few months I have been casually sort of working into a not sort of ‑‑ sort of using my hard work to get me where I have been getting the last year.

But I have sort of lacked off a little bit and look what it's costing me. Last eight, nine weeks I'm losing a lot of first, second rounds. So it's not my quality of tennis. My quality of tennis should be getting to a lot of semifinals, finals at tournaments or even winning where I had chances last eight weeks, but lack of concentration, not working hard, it costs you.

Q. Is that a lack of motivation in some way then? Can't sort of bring yourself to practice as hard as you know you need to?

BERNARD TOMIC: It's just strange. I mean, like on the way up I have been growing up playing and everything's got easy. I've gotten to where I have won very easily. It's amazing. Now you let the foot off the pedal and it's costing you. It's something I'll learn.

It's a good thing what's actually happened here. I'll wake up and get back to the way I was playing the next ‑‑ you know, for once where I don't have to ‑‑ I can relax and play good tennis and get back to that training mode to get me to the top 15, 20 at the end of the year even.

Q. Such a talented ball‑striker. Does that make it more difficult to sort of grind when you have to grind or...

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah. Well, I think being a good ball‑striker, I've got good hands, but that's where I don't take my legs into play the last few months. I haven't been, you know ‑‑ hands is one thing, but the effort that you put in.

Like the guys in the top 3, it's different. That's why they're there. They've got hands; they've got the mental skills; they've got the legs.

Q. So were you frustrated with your game even coming into this Wimbledon tournament? You kind of felt frustrated even before you went out on court?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah. Well, look, I wasn't expecting much. Maybe winning a round or two, because the way I was going through nine weeks of first, second rounds, you know, you sort of wake up and say, Hello. Shit, you're at Wimbledon. Sorry.

But in a way it's like, you know, you look at it. You've got through eight, nine weeks and you're heading into on of the biggest tournaments of the world where you've done unbelievable last year.

Then, you know, I've got to get back into the training world. At least I will have maybe the ten days off where I can train and get ready for the two clay‑court tournaments, and then the Olympics will be a good task for me.

We'll see what happens. Like I said, I've got to train, not use my hands.

Q. Can you take any motivation out of the fact you can come back here in a couple weeks during the Olympics and do what you wanted to do here and what you like to do on grass?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah.

Q. Another chance?

BERNARD TOMIC: I'm really gifted and lucky for that opportunity to have the Olympics coming up, which is, my point of view, bigger for ‑‑ bigger than Wimbledon for me, the Olympics. For any athlete I think it's something that I want to do well in, and I'm thankful it's on grass.

But like I said, I'm not going to do well. I can just say I will, but if I'm not going to work out the next two, three weeks...

You know, it's not what you do in the next two, three weeks. It's what you do every week. To be honest, the effort that's been costing me this tournament and the past two months has been probably my lack of effort, the way I have been training on court, off court, matches, and mentally.

So I've got to get back on that roll.

Q. Were you thinking when you got back here it would all fall into place?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, in one way. That's a good question. I mean, but in one way that's what I expected sort of. But it's not going to come back if you haven't put the hard work in. It's good. I like what I've lost. I think it's good for me.

Q. Is the problem you think the way you've been training or sometimes you've just not trained? You find other things to do?

BERNARD TOMIC: A bit of both. (Smiling.)

It's the way you train. I know my tennis, when I'm playing well, is not ‑‑ many people in the top 10, you know, top 15 struggle with my game. I can beat anyone, even at the age of 18, 19.

But it can cost you, you know. You can be talented and head down, but I'm not going to let that happen to me.

Q. In terms of outside influences, Davis Cup coaching scenarios, you respond a certain way in your private situation. What do you find is best for you?

BERNARD TOMIC: Say that again.

Q. Comparing Davis Cup and preparing for ties compared to this, what's better for you: having someone like Pat Rafter around? Do you respond to that kind of thing?

BERNARD TOMIC: Look, with me, like, you know, I can work with Pat ‑‑ like the Davis Cup is great. I love working on the team, and I can't wait for when Davis Cup starts. I love being in that role of being in the team. To have a shot at even qualifying this year if I do so it will be huge.

I think regardless of who's working with me, it's my sort of tennis ‑‑ my game is just ‑‑ it relies on me. People can say they can help you with a lot of tips. Even my dad who has been with me for 11 years has done a great job.

You know, that can take the place, but saying people can help, it's not really ‑‑ for my tennis, it's all about me. I've got to find that in me. People give you great tips along the way and can help you and stuff, which I'm ready for any help, but you're not going to become Federer, Rafa, or Novak if you don't do it yourself. That's for sure.

Q. Has your dad, your coach, been frustrated or annoyed at you for what you have admitted which is sort of a lack of application of training?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah. I think there's also a few other things that are involved also last few eight weeks which I can't talk about.

But it's a learning curve, and I'm lucky I'm getting hit with these things at this age now. In one way it's good for ‑‑ I think it's great. It's better that I won ‑‑ that I lost so I can wake up and find my tennis where it can be and where it can take me to the next few years.

Q. Do you remember the last time you played him four years ago?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, I lost 0 and 1 in juniors. You know, I think he played much better than I did second, third set. But see what's costing me today. Should have been realistically straight sets to me, 6‑3 and I was playing well.

But having dropped my confidence and my mental, I was ‑‑ you know, players just can't wait to come back. When I'm down a set, all I want to do is come back and beat the guy. That's where I lacked off a bit today. He took his chance, and credit to him. He played very good tennis.

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #27
country flag Givenchy

He got fined $2500 for his racquet smash damaging Court 2
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...701-21abl.html
Old 07-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #28
country flag Givenchy

Bernard will play Hopman Cup:

Hopman Cup ‏@hopmancup
Bernard Tomic to represent Aus at Hyundai Hopman Cup for the first time

https://twitter.com/hopmancup/status/230169804902891520

So he won't be playing Brisbane next year and he'll have semifinal points coming off.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #29
country flag wallaby73

Bernard Tomic to shun Brisbane International and play in the Hopman Cup
Valkerie Baynes
The Courier-Mail
July 31, 2012

Quote:
BERNARD Tomic will open his 2013 campaign not at home, but at the Hopman Cup.

Australia's No.1 has opted to contest the team event in Perth from December 29 to January 5 instead of the Brisbane International, which starts a day later.

"I can't wait to play against the top players in the world and get guaranteed three matches of a high standard ... something great before the Australian Open," Queenslander Tomic said.

"I think where Davis Cup has helped me is playing the doubles and singles a lot in practice and the opportunity to play mixed doubles is something new for me.

"I can't wait to get on the court and help Australia win."

Hopman Cup event director Steve Ayles today announced Tomic would join Serbian stars Novak Djokovic and Ana Ivanovic as the first players confirmed for the 2013 draw.

The news came after world No.49 Tomic bowed out of the Olympic tennis tournament with a first-round loss to 17th-ranked Kei Nishikori of Japan.

World No.2 Djokovic said: "I love the competition there."

"I love the atmosphere ... you have lots of great players taking part in the tournament so it's great preparation for the first Grand Slam of the year."

Until this year, when he lost the semi-final to eventual champion Andy Murray, Tomic had suffered a torrid run at the Brisbane event with three straight first-round exits.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226439631440
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
country flag Givenchy

Cincinnati interview
Quote:
WESTERN & SOUTHERN OPEN

August 12, 2012

Bernard Tomic

CINCINNATI, OHIO

B. TOMIC/R. Harrison
6‑4, 7‑6

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Bernard.

Q. You've been playing well the last couple weeks.
BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, I've been playing good the last fortnight. I'm happy the way I'm playing here today. Last week as well was good for me to win my first round after a good six, seven weeks. I think I played good against Novak, as well, picked up good confidence.
Today was a good match. I felt like Ryan played well. I played well and managed to win in the end.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about some of the development in youth tennis in Australia. I know it's been a little bit of a drought since Lleyton.
BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, if you look back a few years, it wasn't that good. Obviously, Lleyton was there. But I think now this year's just shown us we can actually play. The guys belong here very well. Marinko is playing well. Matt is doing good. They're getting closer to top 50. They're at the 70, 60 mark. We've improved a lot. It's good to see the Australian tennis improving a lot.
For me it's huge to win Davis Cup one day. If you're going to do that, you need a good team around you, you need good players in there. I feel they're improving, getting better. It's good to see something like that.

Q. You had a good Australian summer. Following up, looked like it was a little bit difficult result‑wise. What do you attribute that to?
BERNARD TOMIC: Everyone has their up‑and‑downs. I think I managed to play really well last year, during Wimbledon. I played pretty solid throughout the end of the year. At the start of the Australian Open season, I played really well, I thought. Then it was difficult for me. I think I went through a few months where I was winning a few matches or two, then started not winning matches for about a month. That was pretty difficult.
But I'm happy I'm picking up now. I'm playing pretty good, confident. I'm just happy I get a chance to win matches now and get on the track that I was at the start of the year.

Q. What is the key, like today? You could have lost the second set. What is the difference between actually doing that and winning compared to when you were unable to do that?
BERNARD TOMIC: If you look, tennis comes down to sometimes one point. It's the most important point of the match. When that comes, if you don't take it... If you actually get it and win, it's huge.
I've gone through so many positions in my junior career where I've been down the first round, just managed to escape. I've won titles. I think it's similar like that in the game now. Everyone playing in the top hundred is good, they're there for a reason.
I think the only guys that stand out are the guys in the top four, five, that are a bit different. I think it comes down to playing a tennis match one point, two points. If you take those opportunities sometimes at 4‑All, breakpoints at 3‑All, you can win the set.
Today I managed to come back from two set points down. I hit a good serve, played a good point. Look, if it was going to be the third set, it would have been different. I would have been a little bit tired and Ryan would have played a little more confident. I think the crowd was on his side.
Tennis comes down to a few points, and I think the better players get those points.

Q. When you go into a match like this, do you think like he's going to be somebody you're going to be playing for a long time?
BERNARD TOMIC: It's a bit like that. It's funny how you play the older guys growing up on the ATP Tour. To get the opportunity to play Ryan or someone of that age, it's a bit strange. But it's a good thing. I enjoyed it today. I'm sure we both wanted to win. I think I played really, really well the first, and the second I was up a break. He played well to come back and take it to a tiebreak.

Q. How far off do you think your generation is from the top four?
BERNARD TOMIC: With the top four now? I mean, it's hard to say. You can't just replace the players that are there now in the top four. I'd love to put myself there and players like Milos, Ryan, Grigor in the next three or four years. To say that, we're in the most difficult time of tennis. The guys in the top three, four, they're showing us why they're the legends of the game.
Back I think 10 years it was much easier ‑ not easier ‑ but in a way there were 20 players that could win a Grand Slam. Now I think there's three players, and Murray is still struggling.
It's just a difficult time for young guys. We have to keep working, improving. I think our time will come in the next few years. But we've got to work hard, for sure.

Q. The last few years a lot of guys have said the speed of these courts in Cincinnati has been quick compared to other hard courts. Would you agree with that?
BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah. Actually I think it's the ball flies through the air a bit, similar to Indian Wells, but not as much. I think Indian Wells flies a lot more. I think I prefer it. It suits the way I'm playing lately. I'm serving pretty good. The second serve bounce is really difficult to return on. The courts kick up. It has advantage on players that serve big, these courts.
I'm playing well, feeling good. Hopefully I can continue.

Q. How long have you been with Nike?
BERNARD TOMIC: Probably since I was 15.

Q. How do you think they picked you?
BERNARD TOMIC: You got to ask them that. I think they picked me out of a hat (laughter). It was a random pick.

Q. Because you have so many different options in your game, does point construction become challenging sometimes?
BERNARD TOMIC: Absolutely. I think sometimes, it's funny, on a shot, when players have I think one or two options, I seem to have four or five. But sometimes I miss the ball. It's weird, you know, when you have an opportunity and a point, if I do the right thing, I should win. Sometimes I have three or four options I should do, players don't expect me to do it. Sometimes it costs me. Other times people are like, Wow, how did you do that?
It's got to be simple. You have to play tennis simple, not try to impress the crowd, going for shots that you're not usually doing.
I think I'm doing that well. I did that well today I think.

Q. How do you keep it simple for yourself?
BERNARD TOMIC: Win matches, I guess. That's anybody's simple, I think.
You know, the last year I've learnt a lot on tour. It's an important thing. I've gone through a lot of matches where I should have won and I've lost because I haven't been keeping it simple. I've lost matches because of stupid shots where I wouldn't do on practice, where I wouldn't go for. You just learn over time what the right tennis is for you, how to concentrate, focus, put all your energy into playing the right tennis. Then you feel comfortable, not playing things that you're not used to in matches.
The thing with me, sometimes I let my foot off the pedal when I'm winning. Sometimes it costs me. I think today shows I can really compete and play well.

Q. Tennis is not a contact sport, but the lob today...
BERNARD TOMIC: That was a bit strange. I didn't know what was going on because I turned my head. I didn't think he was going to get to it. I heard things, you know, like...
I turned back, I saw the camera upside down, I realized something went wrong.

Q. Have you sold the famous car?
BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah.

Q. Got a good price for it?
BERNARD TOMIC: I swapped it for something else.

Q. Which is what?
BERNARD TOMIC: I don't know. A Toyota Yaris (laughter).