Best "Year end top 10" from the last 5 years? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Best top 10 from recent years...

2011 Top Ten 8 8.99%
2010 Top Ten 4 4.49%
2009 Top Ten 56 62.92%
2008 Top Ten 9 10.11%
2007 Top Ten 12 13.48%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best "Year end top 10" from the last 5 years?

Which of these pack o' players do you think is the best of their respective eras.

We have 2011 Top Ten:
Djokovic - Nadal - Federer - Murray - Ferrer - Tsonga - Berdych - Fish - Tipsarevic - Almagro.

2010 Top Ten:
Nadal - Federer - Djokovic - Murray - Soderling - Berdych - Ferrer - Roddick - Verdasco - Youzhny

2009 Top Ten:
Federer - Nadal - Djokovic - Murray - Del Potro - Davydenko - Roddick - Soderling - Verdasco - Tsonga

2008 Top Ten:
Nadal - Federer - Djokovic - Murray - Davydenko - Tsonga - Simon - Roddick - Del Potro - Blake

2007 Top Ten:
Federer - Nadal - Djokovic - Davydenko - Ferrer - Roddick - Gonzalez - Gasquet - Nalbandian - Robredo

If I have to choose, I like 2009.
We have the Big 4, prime Del Potro, Great-Shape Davydenko and Tsonga should always be top 10 in a fair world. It would be perfect if Nalbandian were there.
Roddick also making some damage, Soderling is IMO a deserved Top 10.

I remember 2010 AO seeds, and they were quite fair, IMO... I'm going with that.
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best "Year end top 10" from the last 5 years?

2008 and 2010.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
2008 and 2010.
Expected as an ass shiting.

I can understand 2008, amazing top 10, but 2010... Come the fuck on.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

2010 was a hell of a lot better than 2011 with awful mugs like Fish, Isner, Almugro and Shitsarevic making it into top 10.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

2009. Del Potro had pretty much as good a season (point-wise) as two of Sampras's #1 years and was still #5 in the end. Shows how competitive it was at the top.

It was a great year, with six players in the mix for big titles since the beginning of the season (Federer, Nadal, Del Potro, Roddick, Djokovic and Murray) and some guys having big breakthroughs, namely Verdasco at AO and Soderling at FO, not to mention Davydenko finally getting a big title in O2. We also had New Balls taking a stand at Wimbledon with Roddick, Hewitt, Haas and Ferrero in the quarters (apart from Federer of course).

Nadal's epic exploits in Australia, Federer's heroic run in Paris to get the career Grand Slam, Roddick's heartbreak at Wimbledon, Del Potro dehtroning Federer under the lights in New York to get his first Slam... Soderling beating Nadal in Paris. Djokovic and Murray underperforming at Slams, but ranked #3 and #4 ahead of Del Potro due to fantastic Masters 1000 performances all year long. Just a fantastic year all around, I thought.

And how could I forget that epic group in WTF with Federer, Del Potro, Murray and Verdasco, with every match going 3 sets and Federer and Del Potro advancing due to game difference.

It was the year where I felt we had more players capable of contending for big tournaments; of the top 10 only Tsonga failed to have a great performance at a Slam, and even he had that epic victory over Federer in Montreal.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 05-24-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
country flag viruzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
2010 was a hell of a lot better than 2011 with awful mugs like Fish, Isner, Almugro and Shitsarevic making it into top 10.

I agree with you in that. Last year was the worst top ten of the last 10 years.
Why do you put 2010 over 2009-2007? I would like to know that.

And the option "I'm a Delpo-Davy hater" isn't valid.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute

2009 for me
Old 05-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
I agree with you in that. Last year was the worst top ten of the last 10 years.
Why do you put 2010 over 2009-2007? I would like to know that.

And the option "I'm a Delpo-Davy hater" isn't valid.
Because in 2009 Nadal was injured for most of the year, so Olderer had no competition. (he choked the USO final away)

2007, because I felt Olderer wasn't in his prime or playing well, but still bullshitted his way to 3 slams (should have lost Wimbledon and USO)
Old 05-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

2009 by far

Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

2007 NID
Federer 1rst place checked
Nadal 2nd place checked
Djokovic top 3 checked
Davydenko in top 5 checked (4th place)
+ Nalbandian and Gonzalez ..... yes 2007 !
TBkeeper is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

2009 technically and statistically had to be the best.. 3 players had won slams (Nadal, Federer, Del Potro), three players had very notable runs (Soderling, Roddick, Verdasco) and two players were playing fantastic tennis especially in the second half of the year (Davydenko, Djokovic)
Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Easily 2009- epic year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

We don´t need poll for this, 2009 is clearly best top 10. Big 4,Delpo with slam, Davydenko with WTF and Masters1000 title, Roddick taking Federer to 5th at Wimby, Verdasco´s best season so far, Tsonga mediocre but how you mentioned still top 10 guy and Soderling already worthy top 10 player, RG finalist. By myselft when i am thinking and comparing top 10ś most of the time i am remembering those 2009 players what a great top 10 we had.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
country flag buzz

buzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond reputebuzz has a reputation beyond repute

2009. but the others aren't far off
buzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
2009. Del Potro had pretty much as good a season (point-wise) as two of Sampras's #1 years and was still #5 in the end. Shows how competitive it was at the top.

It was a great year, with six players in the mix for big titles since the beginning of the season (Federer, Nadal, Del Potro, Roddick, Djokovic and Murray) and some guys having big breakthroughs, namely Verdasco at AO and Soderling at FO, not to mention Davydenko finally getting a big title in O2. We also had New Balls taking a stand at Wimbledon with Roddick, Hewitt, Haas and Ferrero in the quarters (apart from Federer of course).

Nadal's epic exploits in Australia, Federer's heroic run in Paris to get the career Grand Slam, Roddick's heartbreak at Wimbledon, Del Potro dehtroning Federer under the lights in New York to get his first Slam... Soderling beating Nadal in Paris. Djokovic and Murray underperforming at Slams, but ranked #3 and #4 ahead of Del Potro due to fantastic Masters 1000 performances all year long. Just a fantastic year all around, I thought.

And how could I forget that epic group in WTF with Federer, Del Potro, Murray and Verdasco, with every match going 3 sets and Federer and Del Potro advancing due to game difference.

It was the year where I felt we had more players capable of contending for big tournaments; of the top 10 only Tsonga failed to have a great performance at a Slam, and even he had that epic victory over Federer in Montreal.
I couldn´t describe it better by myself why 2009 was fantastic season.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote