Ryan Harrison: News & Articles - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryan Harrison: News & Articles

Have you ever wonder where Ryan's profile (twitter) pic is from? The answer is below.

ESPN: Stars Next Door

RYAN HARRISON

Let's face it: This isn't exactly the golden age of American men's tennis. So when Harrison, ranked 173rd in the world, upset 15th-seeded Ivan Ljubicic in the opening round of the 2010 US Open, fans rejoiced. (He lost his next match in five sets to No. 36 Sergiy Stakhovsky.) "I love that Ryan has an all-around game," says Billie Jean King. "He can serve and hit off the ground, and he's strong at the net. He's going to have a great future." With Harrison having earned a spot in this month's Australian Open, the future might already be here.

PICK A PRO, ANY PRO: "I've always had an attacking game because I love Pete Sampras. I'm also trying to play from the backcourt like Novak Djokovic, and kick serve and volley like Patrick Rafter."

HIDDEN TALENT: "I have a really good memory. I can tell you about every point of every game I've played this year -- especially in the matches I've lost."

FALLBACK PLAN: "I'm 1,000 percent sure I'd play football. I play five-on-five, and I'm a fantasy fanatic."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5966104
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harrison2.jpg (35.0 KB, 1 views)

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison: News & Articles

Querrey, Harrison to play World TeamTennis
Quote:
In other WTT news, Ryan Harrison will play for the Philadelphia Freedoms on July 11, 13, and 14, and Robby Ginepri will play for the Boston Lobsters on July 9 and 13.—Ed McGrogan

Old 06-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Olympic News

Quote:
The men's team is expected to include John Isner (10th in the ATP Tour rankings), Andy Roddick (32nd), and two first-time Olympians, Donald Young (48th) and Ryan Harrison (52nd). Mardy Fish, the silver medalist in 2004, is ranked 12th but has said he'll skip the Olympics.
Read more: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...-time-olympian

Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Ryan Harrison tournament comes to Shreveport

Link: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...mes-Shreveport

Quote:
Shreveport native Ryan Harrison will play in The Ryan Harrison Invitational tennis tournament scheduled for Nov. 18.

The tournament features Harrison, Christian Harrison, Scott Lipsky, and Mike and Bob Bryan.

An A.T.L.A.S tennis tournament is set for Nov. 15-18 at the Bossier Tennis Center with the Ryan Harrison Invitational set for Nov. 18 at the Centenary Gold Dome.

There will also be a kid's clinic, a dinner and dance and opportunities to meet the players. The event will benefit the Wounded Warrior project.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Vasek Pospisil match summary (Eastbourne 1st Round)

Grass-Court Report: Eastbourne & Up

Quote:
From one bright young thing to two more: Ryan Harrison is playing Vasek Pospisil on the smaller, more pleasant Court 1, where a ball girl at each end manually changes the score on the old-fashioned scoreboard. Pospisil has played through qualifying here to reach this match—it shows, as he is immediately more comfortable in the windy conditions. Harrison’s temper is not always under control on the court, and it’s on display early as he argues with umpire Mohamed Lahyani. 'Pay attention to the baseline!' he hectors Lahyani angrily after double-faulting to trail 1-3. In fairness to Harrison, he has to wait while an elderly couple, both leaning on canes, make their laborious progress all the way up to the second row of seats, a process which takes a good couple of minutes.

I praised Pospisil’s explosive power and serve-and-volley technique last week, and as he takes the first set 6-3, those aspects of his game are on full display. Harrison finds himself outgunned from the baseline and can’t throw the Canadian off his rhythm, even when throwing in slice from both wings. What he can do is take care of his own service better than in the first set, and that’s what he does, cutting out the complaining and going for more on both first and second serves.

In a situation that calls for patience and level-headedness, Harrison’s greater experience begins to tell. Two years younger than the Canadian, he’s been a Top-100 player for almost a year now, something Pospisil has yet to achieve. Harrison hangs on grimly, weathering a break point at 4-4 in the second set and waiting for Pospisil’s increasingly erratic game to yield an opportunity. The American almost breaks at 4-5, thwarted by risky, confident play on two break points, but chooses the perfect moment to throw in a high ball to Pospisil’s backhand, surprising the Canadian into an error to take the second-set tiebreak and even the match at one set all.

The third set features scrappier, more fractious play from both men, in stark contrast to the peaceful atmosphere among the spectators, one of whom reads his newspaper and then falls asleep. Pospisil’s shots don’t have the impact they did in the first two sets, perhaps because Harrison is getting better at anticipating and soaking up his pace, but he keeps holding on despite pressure on serve. It’s getting on Harrison's nerves. ‘So freaking lucky!’ screams Harrison in frustration after Pospisil saves two break points, words which will return to my mind in the third set tiebreaker.

Pegged back with a double fault after leading 4-2, Harrison finds himself match point down after big forehands from Pospisil force an error. After taking an inordinately long time selecting a new racquet after flinging his to the ground, Harrison returns to the baseline, then as the Canadian charges the net, hits a backhand pass which threads the narrow needle of available space and strikes the line cleanly. Pospisil’s chagrin is written clearly on his face and it’s Harrison’s turn to attack, forcing two errors from to take the match. Pospisil’s racquet hits the turf.

It’s not often that you can say Ryan Harrison was the cooler, wiser head in a contest, but he was the more finished player on Court 1 today, and when it counted, had the confidence to make a million-to-one shot while staring defeat in the face. There’s a fine line between youthful impetuosity and having the courage of one’s convictions. When it mattered, Harrison threw caution to the Eastbourne winds and it paid off. It might be the foolhardiness of youth, but it's also a big part of what makes him such an entertaining player to watch. I hope he never grows out of it.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default IMG Academy tennis alum, Ryan Harrison, advances to quarterfinals of Aegon Internatio

Quote:
IMG Academy tennis alum, Ryan Harrison, moved into the quarterfinals of the Aegon International in Eastbourne, England, today. Harrison, who turned 20 last month, defeated Yen-Hsun Lu of Taipei 6-1, 7-6(2) in the second round. In Harrison’s first grass court event of the year, he had to save one match point in the opening round before outlasting Vasek Pospisil of Canada 3-6, 7-6(2), 7-6(6).

Ryan Harrison

Harrison’s quarterfinals opponent will be Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan, who upset the No. 2 seed, Marcel Granollers, in three sets today. This will be Harrison’s third quarterfinal appearance of the year (San Jose and Houston.) He is currently ranked No. 53 on the ATP World Tour.
Link: http://blog.imgacademies.com/2012/06...international/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_Harrison.jpg (200.0 KB, 3 views)

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Americans Sam Querrey, Ryan Harrison and James Blake Entered to Play in 86th-annual F

Americans Sam Querrey, Ryan Harrison and James Blake Entered to Play in 86th-annual Farmers Classic:

Quote:
Sam Querrey, fellow Americans Ryan Harrison and James Blake, France’s Nicolas Mahut, Russia’s Dmitry Tursunov, and Belgium’s Xavier Malisse, the tournament’s reigning doubles champion, are among the players initially entered in the draw at the 86th-annual Farmers Classic, presented by Mercedes-Benz, July 23-29 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center-UCLA.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Harrison Survives, Gets Djokovic Next

Harrison Survives, Gets Djokovic Next

Quote:
By JOHN MARTIN

Toby Melville/ReutersRyan Harrison had much to celebrate in the first round Monday.

WIMBLEDON, England — Ryan Harrison rallied from a first-set lapse to defeat Lu Yen-Hsun of Taiwan, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-2, in the first round of Wimbledon Monday.

With the victory, Harrison is now in the unenviable position of playing the world’s top-ranked player, Novak Djokovic, in the second round. It will be the sixth time in six months that Harrison, a 20-year-old up-and-coming American, has faced an opponent ranked in the top 12 in the first or second round of a major tournament.

Djokovic, top-seeded and the defending Wimbledon champion, won his opening match over Juan Carlos Ferrero in straight sets.

A flawed forehand volley, delivered into the net by Lu as he prepared to take a 5-4 lead in the third set, signaled a breakthrough moment for Harrison.

Instead of forging ahead with an easy winner, Lu lost the game two points later. Harrison stepped to the line and served out the set.

In the fourth set, another botched volley by Lu let Harrison escape an uphill skirmish. In the second game, Lu maneuvered Harrison into a corner, forcing him to hit higher than he wanted. Lu moved forward to comfortably block a backhand volley for a certain winner only to drop it into the net.

Another botched volley played into Harrison’s hands in the next game. Lu hit a weak backhand that barely cleared the service line. Harrison moved in, drove the ball at Lu’s feet, then slammed away Lu’s popup volley response.

Later, Harrison was asked if he was looking ahead to his next match.

“I’m not going to say, ‘Oh, well, it doesn’t matter if I lose this match.’ Harrison said. “My thought process is ‘He’s stepped up, I need to step up.’ That’s kind of the way I think and the way I tick.”

Harrison has been saddled with an unlucky streak in his tournament draws. He lost in the first round of the French Open to Gilles Simon of France, ranked 12th and in the second round at Madrid to Jo-Wilfred Tsonga of France, ranked 5th. He drew Roger Federer in the second round and Andy Murray, ranked fourth, in the first round of the Australian Open.

Djokovic won his only previous match against Harrison, 6-2, 6-3, last year in Cincinnati. The encounter took place, no surprise, in the second round.

Harrison said that match was “far from a blowout,” and it had gone against him because Djokovic dictated points.

“I was reacting,” he said. “The more I’ve come into my own and become a better player, the more I’ve learned that I have to take my guns and play with them and not kind of just react to those guys.”

“A guy like Novak and the guys at the top, if you give them their chances to play their game they’re going to beat you.”

This time, Harrison suggested, he would go for his shots and take his chances at dictating play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25harrison_straightsets-articleInline.jpg (18.1 KB, 4 views)

Old 06-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #9
country flag GasquetGulbis

GasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryan Harrison: News & Articles

I was hoping Ryan would get a better draw, I think he has a lot of potential on grass, but against the defending champ...
GasquetGulbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Mixed day for men's up-and-comers

Quote:

Mixed day for men's up-and-comers

by Benjamin Snyder
Monday 25 June 2012

With play resuming for the year at the world’s oldest tennis tournament, a handful of the game’s rising stars are beginning their grass court careers at The All England Club. In the gentlemen’s draw, America’s Ryan Harrison, Australia’s Marinko Matosevic and Britain’s Oliver Golding headlined up-and-coming entrants in first day’s action.

Harrison, 20, started his second main draw at Wimbledon against Yen-Hsun Lu with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 win. In front of a full crowd on court 12, the young American looked strong as his opponent’s fitness began to falter late in the fourth set. Serving at 4-2 up, Harrison punctuated his athletic game with powerful serves over 120mph, while Lu looked out of steam.

After breaking his opponent on a failed Lu volley, Harrison served big to edge 15-0 ahead at 5-2. Showing little sign of nerves, the American followed up with a passing shot that clipped the line by a stunned Lu. On his first match point, Harrison blasted another winner for which the Taipei-native did not even attempt to run down.

A semi-finalist at Eastbourne last week, Harrison seems to have found his form on grass in time for The Championships. In the final four, he succumbed to the steady baseline game of Italy’s Andreas Seppi on a day impeded by blustery conditions.

Last year, the young American made his best Grand Slam showing yet at The Championships when he advanced to the second round. After battling his way through Qualifying at the Roehampton courts, Harrison defeated the No. 37 Ivan Dodig of Croatia in straight sets. He then lost to the No. 7 seed David Ferrer, of Spain, 7-6(8), 1-6, 6-4, 3-6, 2-6.

Next for Harrison is defending champion and world No. 1 Novak Djokovic. The Serb played a sharp match in his opening round on Centre Court against Juan Carlos Ferrero, winning 6-3, 6-3, 6-1. Djokovic won their only meeting in straight sets at the Cincinnati Masters event last year.

Although Harrison competed and advanced, Australian Marinko Matosevic was not so lucky. He lost to in-form Belgian veteran Xavier Malisse, a recent s-Hertogenboshi semi-finalist and Queen’s Club quarter-finalist. Despite bowing out in his first appearance at The Championships 6-2, 6-2, 7-5, the Aussie is currently enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 72.

Notably, Matosevic is ranked second after fellow Aussie Bernard Tomic, the No. 20 seed and another rising player in the gentlemen’s draw.

The youngest entrant in the Gentlemen’s Singles, 18-year old Oliver Golding showed promise in his four-set defeat at the hands of the more experienced Igor Andreev. He lost in front of a packed No.2 Court, 1-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(7), 7-5 in his main draw debut.

The Brit, ranked a career-high No.491, was previously a finalist at last year’s Junior Wimbledon Championships.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_01_harrison_138_aeltc_t_hindley.jpg (76.2 KB, 4 views)

Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default No problem for Novak

No problem for Novak

Defending champion cruises into third round at Wimbledon

Quote:
Defending Wimbledon champion and world number one Novak Djokovic cruied into the third round with a commanding straight sets victory over rising American Ryan Harrison.

Djokovic was never expected to lose to the 20-year-old but a stern examination was always on the cards and so it proved, even though the Serbian was a comfortable 6-4 6-4 6-4 winner.

Harrison was able to match his decorated opponent for large parts, often unleashing a stinging forehand, but when the pressure was cranked up Djokovic was the one to stand firm.

He took the three break points that came his way, while at the other end Harrison squandered six in a game when they were presented to him midway through the second set.

It was a tough lesson for Harrison to learn and the pattern was set in the first set.

He first lost his serve in the fifth game despite being the better player. He chased down a volley and hit a forehand winner before leaving Djokovic flatfooted when he pinned a cross-court one-hander beyond him.

Composed

Djokovic remained composed, though, and broke serve when Harrison got too excited and slapped a forehand long.

Djokovic served the set out and Harrison showed he had learned little from the opener as he allowed six break points to slip through his fingers. Having found a way to get on top of the Djokovic serve, he went through a range of ways to fritter chances away, ranging from a misplaced smash to some wild forehands.

As if to ward the rookie off trying to break him again, Djokovic took his serve off him in the very next game - Harrison's wayward hitting prominent again - and the set was again seen out by the world number one.

Knowing he needed something special to stir fanciful hopes of a comeback, Harrison upped the ante in the third set, serving well and restraining himself where previously he had not, but even then he was undone, losing serve in the ninth and what proved to be penultimate game.

Djokovic had three chances to put himself on the brink and needed just one, haring in on a poor drop shot, before serving out.

"It was a straight-sets win but much more difficult than the scoreline shows," Djokovic said.

"It was a great match but I was in trouble in the second set and it could have

gone either way. It is difficult to adjust under the roof, and Ryan was serving

fantastically.

"I was very pleased with my serve and performance.

"I think I played really well from the start. It was a close match, he performed really well but I got the crucial breaks in every set when I needed to."

Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Turning the Page

Turning the Page

Quote:
Djokovic was even calmer today in his highly controlled 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 win over a game Ryan Harrison. Djokovic said afterward that it was “very close, closer than the score,” and he was right. Djokovic broke Harrison once in each set, and the two players' winner-to-error ratios were virtually identical—31/15 for Djokovic, 30/14 for Harrison. Statistically, the biggest difference was the percentage of points won on second serves. Djokovic won an amazing 82 percent (higher than the percentage of points he won on his first serve), while Harrison won just 48 percent. You’re only as good as your second serve; and, in Djokovic’s case, you’re only as good as your return of serve.

In its mix of safety and brinksmanship, this was vintage Djokovic all around. He used his usual blend of aggressive yet high-percentage play from the baseline; he had a lot of success getting Harrison stretched on his backhand side and forcing him to drop one hand off the racquet. And in the one moment when his back was against the wall, Djokovic characteristically came up with his best stuff. It wasn’t match points that he saved this time, but break points, six of them, at 2-3 in the second set. Harrison finished an exasperating 0 for 6 on breakers, while Djokovic was an highly efficient 3 for 3.

Still, this was progress for the 20-year-old Harrison, who has always been a proverbial big-match player. He held his own in his first appearance on Centre Court, against the world No. 1, and he must have won a few fans with his athletic scrambling, which included a shoe-top crosscourt forehand pass that skidded off the sideline. If his return let him down, there wasn’t all that much he could have done. Djokovic made 75 percent of his first serves, a ratio that’s going to be too good for just about anyone.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Milos Raonic and Ryan Harrison ATP Newport Practice

Quote:
Milos Raonic and Ryan Harrison hit the practice courts together at ATP Newport. So what did they talk about: tennis, Newport, playing in the Olympics? Nope, Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City, and the NBA. Guys on this continent are indeed all the same.

Read more: Milos Raonic and Ryan Harrison ATP Newport Practice

Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Harrison Advances; Hewitt Reaches Semis

Quote:

Sixth seed Ryan Harrison won an all-American second-round contest on Thursday at the Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships in Newport as he dismissed Jesse Levine 6-3, 6-4. The 20-year-old Harrison converted two of his four break points and won 73 per cent of points on serve for victory in 71 minutes.

Harrison is through to his fourth ATP World Tour quarter-final of the season and second on grass after reaching the last eight at the AEGON International in Eastbourne (l. to Seppi) last month. He improved to a 20-16 match record on the season.

Harrison goes onto face German qualifier Benjamin Becker, who upset third seed Milos Raonic of Canada 6-3, 6-3. World No. 112 Becker won 89 per cent of points behind his first serve and broke Raonic three times to claim his eighth win of the season in 63 minutes. Victory for Becker avenged the semi-final defeat he suffered to Raonic in San Jose in February.

"If you qualify you have three good matches under your belt," explained Becker. "You know the courts, which is a little bit of an advantage over the guys who have only played one match. He didn’t serve many aces, whereas last time I played him he served nearly 30 aces. His serve wasn’t as effective today; I made him play a lot on his second serve and used my chances."
Harrison Advances; Hewitt Reaches Semis

Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default ATP - Fish says helping Ryan Harrison could come back to haunt him

ATP - Fish says helping Ryan Harrison could come back to haunt him

Quote:
It not uncommon for veteran players to come out and advise younger players trying to make their mark in the sport.

But American Mardy Fish thinks this might come back and hurt them at times.

Talking to the media, Fish said, "Someone like Ryan Harrison jumps out at you. He's sort of a sponge when it comes to information from all the guys that have played or have played for a while or have just retired. The only problem with taking someone under your wing is that you're trying to compete with them, as well, and it's an individual sport, so it's not a team sport. I'm certainly open to discussing anyone's game at any time. If a young player would approach me, I would give him my full attention. But they're still trying to take your lunch away."

Fish is the second highest ranked American and at 30 is one of the senior Americans on tour.

Harrison is 20 years old and climbing up the rankings.
Let's put the information to good use, spongeHarry .