Bernie on Grass — 2015 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:35 AM   #1
country flag Arsenalex

Arsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond repute
Question Bernie on Grass — 2015

Grass is considered as Bernard's best surface, with his piercing Backhand slice, and excellent ability to handle pace. He was lacklustre last year returning from injury, so Bernard will consider this a great opportunity to crack the top 20 for the first time.

Bernies path to success will take him through Stuttgart and Halle in Germany, before going to Wimbledon. DC is also very likely.

He begins in Stuttgart this week up against the likes of Nadal. It will be interesting to see how he climbs on grass, having played badly on clay, losing many close but unexpected.

The future of tennis:
Coric Kyrgios Zverev Kokkinakis Thiem Donaldson Chung Lee Tiafoe Vesely

Best improvement June - Lee D.H

TT Doubles: 227 (High 226)
Best results - F: Ilkley CH (EddyDoubleD) SF: Marburg CH* (jervisjames)

Come and play Tennis Win Streak, a new game on MTF
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=644154
Arsenalex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernie on Grass — 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenalex View Post
Grass is considered as Bernard's best surface, with his piercing Backhand slice, and excellent ability to handle pace. He was lacklustre last year returning from injury, so Bernard will consider this a great opportunity to crack the top 20 for the first time.

Bernies path to success will take him through Stuttgart and Halle in Germany, before going to Wimbledon. DC is also very likely.

He begins in Stuttgart this week up against the likes of Nadal. It will be interesting to see how he climbs on grass, having played badly on clay, losing many close but unexpected.
Actually he didn't play that badly on clay, should be pretty happy with his results this year. And though being beaten by the Kokk might have hurt (though it was pretty much inevitable given how close the Kokk came in the previous match and how fast he is improving) but a R3 is the deepest run at RG so far in his career.

But it will indeed be interesting to see how he goes on grass this year - while it certainly seems to be the surface best suited to his game, 2011 aside (Nottingham 1&2 SF + Wimbledon QF), his grass season results have been pretty erratic and mostly pretty lacklustre. Motivation might make the difference though.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 AM   #3
country flag Arsenalex

Arsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond reputeArsenalex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateoz View Post
Actually he didn't play that badly on clay, should be pretty happy with his results this year. And though being beaten by the Kokk might have hurt (though it was pretty much inevitable given how close the Kokk came in the previous match and how fast he is improving) but a R3 is the deepest run at RG so far in his career.

But it will indeed be interesting to see how he goes on grass this year - while it certainly seems to be the surface best suited to his game, 2011 aside (Nottingham 1&2 SF + Wimbledon QF), his grass season results have been pretty erratic and mostly pretty lacklustre. Motivation might make the difference though.
I agree his clay performances weren't that bad, but the reason it disappointed me is that he didn't really show any improvement in motivation, and didn't make to much effort to be successful on clay, despite a great hard season which led many to believe he had really turned a corner.

As for the second statement you are spot on . I hope that his ranking will give him some encouragement, and he won't have to shy away from the top players in the first and second rounds. I definitely give him a chance against anyone outside of the top ten on grass, and maybe even the likes of Ferrer (and maybe Nadal ). I hope he can make it into the top 24 seeds, so he can avoid top players to R4 at least. Berdych, Federer and Novak have all blocked his deep runs in slams recently, so it will be interesting to see if he stands a chance against these players this year.

The future of tennis:

Old 06-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #4
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenalex View Post
I agree his clay performances weren't that bad, but the reason it disappointed me is that he didn't really show any improvement in motivation, and didn't make to much effort to be successful on clay, despite a great hard season which led many to believe he had really turned a corner.

As for the second statement you are spot on . I hope that his ranking will give him some encouragement, and he won't have to shy away from the top players in the first and second rounds. I definitely give him a chance against anyone outside of the top ten on grass, and maybe even the likes of Ferrer (and maybe Nadal ). I hope he can make it into the top 24 seeds, so he can avoid top players to R4 at least. Berdych, Federer and Novak have all blocked his deep runs in slams recently, so it will be interesting to see if he stands a chance against these players this year.
Leopard can't change its spots! His mentality was a lot better than it has been, but hard to turn around years of damage, takes time.

In terms of being blocked by the top players, the problem is that he still has no belief, or even willingness to play them as a learning exercise with a view to next time - the Berdych loss seemed to scar him for example, and run away from Novak.

I think he will do better than the last couple of years and with a good draw could even make the quarters again. But I really doubt whether this will be the breakthrough year, isn't improving enough mentally or gamewise. But if he keeps building, next year...
Old 06-07-2015, 01:34 AM   #5
country flag Arsenalex

^
Yes self-belief is key. I also don't really think he will do super well, but expect him to improve on last year where he was coming back from injury. Sadly for Bernie, the game is becoming more about the guys who are super fit and mentally tough, he can no longer rely on the odd slam when all the top guys lose early and an unlikely winner sneaks through without really beating anyone (as it was sometimes last century sometimes)

The future of tennis:

Old 06-07-2015, 02:39 AM   #6
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute

He has a nice draw hopefully he can get a quarterfinal match up with Rafa.
Chris. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:32 AM   #7
country flag Arsenalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
He has a nice draw hopefully he can get a quarterfinal match up with Rafa.
Yes - I really hope he gives his best for this match. Rafa is out of form and Bernard knows he's weak on grass, so hopefully the 'injuries' don't rise.

First he has to get past Struff though. Jan-Lennard is having a horror year, but is always a danger on grass and enjoys home support. Despite this hard to look past Bernie in 2, 3 if Struff finds an extra level just as many people do at important tourneys for them.

I personally think that anything less than a quarter-final would be a huge let-down, but on the other side of things I wouldn't put it past him to get to the final. Monfils and Kohli are good match-ups for him, as is Nadal on grass.

In terms of confidence, a deep run would do him the world of good as he needs to maximise his standard during the most important 5 weeks of his year (close to Australian Summer ofc).

The future of tennis:

Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #8
country flag Andy.

Andy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so happy to see Bernie back on Grass. I hope he can take advantage of this pretty good draw. Nadal might not even get the the QTR's and even if he does and Bernie is there I would give him a chance. I would really love him to be seeded in the top 24 come Wimbledon to help get him a good draw.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:24 AM   #9
country flag Arsenalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy. View Post
I'm so happy to see Bernie back on Grass. I hope he can take advantage of this pretty good draw. Nadal might not even get the the QTR's and even if he does and Bernie is there I would give him a chance. I would really love him to be seeded in the top 24 come Wimbledon to help get him a good draw.
Already 24 in live rankings

He should try to gain as many places as he can in Germany though, if he stays where he is now the likes of Kyrgios will overtake him for sure (Wimbledon points). He doesn't have much to defend, so we'll see...

The future of tennis:

Old 06-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
country flag Arsenalex

Tomic def. Struff 6-3 7-6!!!

The future of tennis:

Old 06-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
country flag Sam21

Sam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond repute

Second round win over Haas 7-6(6) 6-2 saving two set points in the tiebreaker, the first saved with a great passing shot.

Someone should tell him black socks don't particularly match the rest of his outfit though...

Last edited by Sam21 : 06-11-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Sam21 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
country flag Arsenalex

After he saved the MP set 2 I really thought Bernie could get this one...

The wait goes on

The future of tennis:

Old 06-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
country flag Andy.

Andy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy. has a reputation beyond repute

Close but no cigar. Good to see him fighting though.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
country flag Arsenalex

Bernie NOVAK R3

The future of tennis:

Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
country flag Arsenalex

Potential route:
Struff
Chung/Herbert
Djokovic
Anderson
Cilic/Nishikori

4 sets R3 I'd he even plays

The future of tennis: