LLodra best volleyier on tour? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
country flag Hian-GOAT
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,019
Hian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeHian-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

As much as I dislike him as a person, yes, he is the best volleyer on court by far.
Hian-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
country flag Fumus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 12,808
Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Better than Federer?

The Bryan Brothers have some pretty nice hands at net as well.

I would say he's pretty creative with his vollies but certainly there are ton of players on tour just as good...no?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
country flag Dougie
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,746
Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
Yeah, but doubles isn't really relevant.
Some of the best volleys and shotmaking are done in doubles nowadays. But if your idea of tennis is Nadal and Djokovic, then sure, I guess doubles isn´t that relevant.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
country flag Orka_n
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17,006
Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
Better than Federer?
Yes. Whether that is because Federer has chosen not to play Serve & volley that much since his yearly years isn't really relevant.
Quote:
The Bryan Brothers have some pretty nice hands at net as well.

I would say he's pretty creative with his vollies but certainly there are ton of players on tour just as good...no?
Doubles players are in general much better at the net but we're talking singles here and no, I don't think there's anyone better then. Sexy is good too though.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
country flag loopback
Registered User
 
loopback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,760
loopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

I think he does it a little too often.
loopback is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #21
country flag Fumus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 12,808
Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Yes. Whether that is because Federer has chosen not to play Serve & volley that much since his yearly years isn't really relevant.
We're talking singles here and no, I don't think there's anyone better. Sexy is good too though.

Llodra is really good, I just don't know if you can say he's the best on tour. I suppose on his day it's possible...but he's so limited by the rest of his game that I think the vollies stick out because other than the serve it's really the only bright spot.

It's why I think players like Nalbandian or even Feliciano can volley just as well but fans don't notice because their entire game isn't built around it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
country flag timafi
Registered User
 
timafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,126
timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

well duh!
__________________
Most Cuban-Americans Oppose Embargo,Poll Finds http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/..._medium=social
Link to that story about wannabe 2016 Presidential Candidate LIAR Marco Rubio pretending his parents fled Castro's Cuba when they actually didnt
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politic...castro/1198006

Florida's Cuban Americans rejoice at U.S. policy overhaul
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...e=politicsNews
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
country flag Orka_n
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17,006
Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
Llodra is really good, I just don't know if you can say he's the best on tour. I suppose on his day it's possible...but he's so limited by the rest of his game that I think the vollies stick out because other than the serve it's really the only bright spot.

It's why I think players like Nalbandian or even Feliciano can volley just as well but fans don't notice because their entire game isn't built around it.
Llodra has high ranking only because of his volleys. Had the courts in this day and age been faster, he'd probably be top 10. Nalby and Lopez? No way.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
country flag Fumus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 12,808
Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Llodra has high ranking only because of his volleys. Had the courts in this day and age been faster, he'd probably be top 10. Nalby and Lopez? No way.
Silly argument really because if the courts were faster than you would see more S&V and more players coming to net and Llodra wouldn't even be in the discussion. He has great vollies but the only reason posters are even suggesting he is the best at it is because he spends so much time up there relative to other players. I just think you can't discount the all court players that do come to net from time to time. Just because they don't base their game around it doesn't mean their netplay isn't just as effective.

I do think guys like Nalby, Tommy Haas, Federer, etc. have great hands at net and can produce some of the best vollies on tour on their day.

Llodra isn't even the best S&V player on tour at the moment, it's sexy Stepanek.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
country flag Orka_n
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17,006
Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
Silly argument really because if the courts were faster than you would see more S&V and more players coming to net and Llodra wouldn't even be in the discussion. He has great vollies but the only reason posters are even suggesting he is the best at it is because he spends so much time up there relative to other players.
Enough already. As I said, the only reason Llodra is high ranked is his volleys. That says something in this era of slow courts.
Quote:
I just think you can't discount the all court players that do come to net from time to time. Just because they don't base their game around it doesn't mean their netplay isn't just as effective.
Yet you still can't give me a name of someone who's better.

Quote:
I do think guys like Nalby, Tommy Haas, Federer, etc. have great hands at net and can produce some of the best vollies on their day.

Llodra isn't even the best S&V player on tour at the moment, it's sexy Stepanek.
Go ahead, you're free to think what you want. Don't think many agree with you tho
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
country flag Fumus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 12,808
Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
Enough already. As I said, the only reason Llodra is high ranked is his volleys. That says something in this era of slow courts.
Yet you still can't give me a name of someone who's better.

Go ahead, you're free to think what you want. Don't think many agree with you tho
1) This is where you are wrong and you are disregarding my argument about the well rounded all court players. The slowing of the game has to do with the demise of the serve and volley... the pure net game players...but vollies are vollies. It doesn't matter if the court is slow or not. If you take the ball out of the air instead of letting it bounce that's a volley it doesn't matter if you are doing it 3 times a match or 30. So you need to decide on your argument here, are you saying Llodra is the best S&V/net rushing player on tour? According the rankings he's not...he's behind Stepanek.

If you are saying he has the best vollies, I disagree and I think players like Federer, Haas, Nalbandian, Tsonga, Mardy Fish have vollies that are just as good if not better.

2) Quantifying something like who has "the best [insert shot here]" is so subjective it's really hard to actually come up with an answer because everyone has an opinion about what the best is. Also players form changes so it's a fluid thing. As far as vollies go, I named a bunch of players that I think were equal or better but you dismissed them.

3)Thank you for letting me have an opinion. Here I was thinking we as a forum had to come to one giant consensus about everything...phew! I was worried.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #27
country flag Agrajag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,029
Agrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
So you need to decide on your argument here, are you saying Llodra is the best S&V/net rushing player on tour? According the rankings he's not...he's behind Stepanek.

If you are saying he has the best vollies, I disagree and I think players like Federer, Haas, Nalbandian, Tsonga, Mardy Fish have vollies that are just as good if not better.
When discussing the enigma that is Michael Llodra, there are many things that has to be said. Llodra only shows up for around half of the singles tournaments he plays. He is well known for his tanking, retiring and maybe even a fix or two.

Regarding his game, all the players you compare him with are vastly superior in every element besides serve, volley and touch. Stepanek is by no means a pure S&V player. Throughout a season, I am sure he does this on less than 30% of his service points. I would say Llodra follows in on around 70% of his. (Including second serve.)

On the singles tour, he is the best volleyer. Others can probably finish of a an easy put-away as good as him, but no one can dig up so many low half-volleys and cover the net as well as he does.

He is, along with Mahut to a lesser degree, the last of his kind. "The last samurai" as he was named in an older thread.

When he calls it a day and begins his new career as a sommelier, tennis will miss him.

That is of course just my opinion, but the players did pick him in the Miami perfect player thingy.
Agrajag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
country flag Orka_n
Banned!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17,006
Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
1) This is where you are wrong and you are disregarding my argument about the well rounded all court players. The slowing of the game has to do with the demise of the serve and volley... the pure net game players...but vollies are vollies. It doesn't matter if the court is slow or not. If you take the ball out of the air instead of letting it bounce that's a volley it doesn't matter if you are doing it 3 times a match or 30. So you need to decide on your argument here, are you saying Llodra is the best S&V/net rushing player on tour? According the rankings he's not...he's behind Stepanek.
Stepanek has a better ground game and uses his experience more on court. And I have already admitted Sexy volleys very well. Not quite at Llodra's level though.

Quote:
If you are saying he has the best vollies, I disagree and I think players like Federer, Haas, Nalbandian, Tsonga, Mardy Fish have vollies that are just as good if not better.


Quote:
2) Quantifying something like who has "the best [insert shot here]" is so subjective it's really hard to actually come up with an answer because everyone has an opinion about what the best is. Also players form changes so it's a fluid thing. As far as vollies go, I named a bunch of players that I think were equal or better but you dismissed them.
Ok, fact is I think Nadal has the best volleys on tour. But hey it's such a subjective thing.

Quote:
3)Thank you for letting me have an opinion. Here I was thinking we as a forum had to come to one giant consensus about everything...phew! I was worried.
Of course, just a general tip: when too many people are disagreeing with you, you might have missed something.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
country flag TigerTim
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 11,536
TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

such a shame this art has died. Nothing more exciting in tennis than two radically contrasting styles going head to head
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
A dishwasher has more personality than Sampras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #30
country flag ApproachShot
Registered User
 
ApproachShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,224
ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLodra best volleyier on tour?

I'd have to agree that he is. Great to watch the variation from the baseline style.
__________________
Federer vs the record books
ApproachShot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios