Homophobe Dharun Ravi gets 30 days in jail for driving Tyler Clementi to suicide. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: The sentence is........

Fair and reasonable 2 14.29%
An outrage 3 21.43%
Too strict-----shouldn't get any jail time 4 28.57%
I'm conflicted/mixed feelings 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homophobe Dharun Ravi gets 30 days in jail for driving Tyler Clementi to suicide.

Rutgers Trial: Dharun Ravi Sentenced to 30 Days in Jail

http://abcnews.go.com/US/rutgers-tri...4#.T7qIOEV8DK0

Former Rutgers student Dharun Ravi was sentenced to 30 days in jail by a New Jersey judge today for spying on his roommate's gay tryst. Ravi's freshman roommate Tyler Clementi committed suicide days later.

"I do not believe he hated Tyler Clementi," Judge Glenn Berman told the court. "He had no reason to, but I do believe he acted out of colossal insensitivity."

Ravi, 20, must report to Middlesex Adult Correctional Center on May 31 at 9 a.m. for his 30 day jail term. He was also sentenced to three years probation, ordered to complete 300 hours of community service and attend counseling programs for cyber-bullying and alternative lifestyles.

He must also pay a $10,000 assessment to the probation department in increments of $300 per month beginning Aug. 1. The money will go to victims of bias crimes. The judge recommended that Ravi, who was born in India and is here on a green card, not be deported.

"I heard this jury say, 'guilty' 288 times--24 questions, 12 jurors. That's the multiplication," Berman said. "I haven't heard you apologize once."

Berman also berated Ravi by saying that most defendants stand when a judge speaks to them, but told him, "Keep your seat." The judge called Ravi's pre-sentencing letter "unimpressive."

Ravi, who was expected to make a statement to the packed New Brunswick, N.J. courtroom, declined to speak before the sentence was read.

The prosecution, which sought a significant prison term, indicated it will appeal the judge's sentence.

Ravi was convicted of invasion of privacy, bias intimidation, witness tampering and hindering arrest, stemming from his role in activating the webcam to peek at Clementi's date with a man in the dorm room on Sept. 19, 2010. Ravi was also convicted of encouraging others to spy during a second date, on Sept. 21, 2010, and intimidating Clementi for being gay.

Before the judge's sentencing, Ravi's mother delivered an emotional plea for leniency during which she and her son both broke into tears. At the end of her plea, Ravi's mother threw herself on her son, sobbing and hugging him.

"Dharun's dreams are shattered," his mother Sabitha Ravi cried. "And he has been living in hell for the past 20 months. It's hard for me to say that my son is sitting here physically alive in front of everyone...I feel that Dharun has really suffered enough for the past two years in the media."

Sabitha Ravi said that her son lives an isolated life studying, has lost 25 pounds and only eats one meal a day to "suppress his hunger."

"This case has been tried, has been treated and exists today, as if it's a murder case," defense attorney Steve Altman said. He spoke about the need for Ravi to be defended and looked at the Clementi family when he said, "I know that family hates me. I'm a demon to them."

In March, Ravi was found guilty of a bias crime for using a webcam to spy on Clementi.

Clementi's family bitterly asked the judge today to sentence Ravi to prison time.

Clementi's father, Joseph Clementi, told the judge, "One of Tyler's last actions was to check Ravi's Twitter page" and noted that his son checked his roommate's Twitter page 37 times before leaving the Rutgers campus and driving to the George Washington Bridge where he jumped to his death.

Ravi was convicted of a hate crime for using a webcame to spy on Clementi during a sexual liaison with a man identified only as "MB" and announcing what he saw on Twitter. Ravi put out another tweet when he heard Clementi was having a second date with MB.

Joseph Clementi said that Ravi decided his son "wasn't deserving the respect of basic human decency" and "was below him" because Tyler Clementi was gay.

"He did it in a cold calculating manner and then he tried to cover it up," the father, who had to pause to compose himself, said. Clementi's mother Jane Clementi cried in the front row has her husband spoke.

The father accused Ravi of having any "lack of remorse."

Tyler Clementi's mother Jane Clementi recalled the day she helped her "excited" son move into his Rutgers dorm room and the coldness Ravi showed by not getting up from his computer to say hello.

"He never even paused to acknowledge that Tyler was in the room," she said. "He never stopped what he was doing, no greeting, no smile, no recognition, no nothing."

Jane Clementi said that though she initially thought Ravi may have been stressed or busy, she said she realized during trial that that was not the case.

She heard during the trial that Ravi had not reached out to her son on Facebook or via email, but, rather, had used his computer skills to plug Clementi's email address into various computer programs to discover what websites he frequented and to discover that Tyler was gay.

"He never really knew Tyler, not the smart, kind, articulate, humble, funny, talented, caring, thoughtful, generous, trustworthy and dependable person Tyler was," she said. "All he found out was that Tyler was gay."

She called Ravi's actions toward her son "arrogant and mean-spirited."

Clementi's brother, James, told the court, "I watched as Dharun slept through court as if it was not worth" paying attention. "I watched Dharun and his lawyers laugh as if it were a private joke."

Earlier a lawyer for MB read a statement asking for prison time for Ravi because, he said, Ravi has not accepted responsibility for his actions.

"He must serve some type of confinement… To this day he appears to blame me for his conduct," citing Ravi's claim that he spied on his roommate because he feared MB would steal his iPad.

MB said he does not believe, however, that Ravi should be deported.

In recent days, several prominent gay activists have made public pleas for Ravi to not be sent to prison.

The judge began the proceedings today by noting the court had received a box full of petitions seeking a pardon for Ravi.

Some of the petitions were addressed to President Obama, but the judge said the president has no ability to pardon someone for a state crime.

Some of the petitions were addressed to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who would have the authority to pardon someone for a state crime.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homophobe Dharun Ravi gets 30 days in jail for driving Tyler Clementi to suicide.

Deport this motherfucker from America, and I'll be OK. Actually, I won't, since one of my own has lost his life due to the homophobe Ravi's callousness. And he and his family have shown no remorse whatsoever for what has occurred here. There is not a sentencing harsh enough to bring back Tyler.

This ruling and entire case simply highlights how deep an issue homophobia and bullying in general is and exactly why it needs to be fought against and prevented.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homophobe Dharun Ravi gets 30 days in jail for driving Tyler Clementi to suicide.

Hopefully the prosecution's appeal leads to a longer sentence.
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
country flag lutraphile
Racquet smash enthusiast

lutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond reputelutraphile has a reputation beyond repute

about right, i think. Perhaps a bit longer but not too far off IMO
A bit OT- I'm very liberal and have (perhaps mostly) gay friends, but seeing the media push for prosecution for verbal bullying is hugely frightening to me

Matosevic, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Sousa, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Dolgopolov, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Gonzalez, Monaco, Thiem, Seppi
lutraphile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see the judge had some sense.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Shit happens.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

He got off easy,
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
Shit happens.
That's a horrible, horrible thing to say. I would be ashamed of myself to be so callous.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Somethings in life aren't perfect. It's just too bad, is all I can say. Another bullying case. A tragedy nonetheless.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Complex case, I wouldn't have wanted to judge this.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think deportation should be in play here at all.

He should have gotten something like 6 months to a year though.

Singles: (61/10) Finals: 1-5 ATP, 3-1 Challengers
W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12
Slams:1R,3R,3R,QF

Doubles: (9/5) Finals: 3-4 ATP, 8-7 Challengers
W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Slams:2R,3R,QF,W
orangehat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
country flag benji47

benji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond repute

A better prosecutor would have gotten years for him. He got off way too easy, since he was basically the DIRECT CAUSE of an innocent person's death.
benji47 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. It's a tricky case. Have to separate what he actually did from the horrible end results. Some people are very sensitive and very inclined to commit suicide and that's no doubt what the defense has used to get a milder sentence.

"driven to suicide" is a very lose term. Should we charge parents to years in prison if their child commit suicide? Girlfriends if their boyfriend commits suicide after bullying/insensitive break-up or vice-versa? Legally they can't give him say 10 years even if that might be reasonable. It would set a legal prejudice that could have major consequences.

This is no doubt a horrible story and a very sad one but the saddest part is that Tyler didn't seek help instead. No doubt his parents (who seem like very good people) could have helped him. They could have gotten Ravi banned from the school for sure. They could have gotten a protected identity for their son and have him start at another college.

I mean there were many options out but Tyler himself threw that away when he jumped from the bridge. He also destroyed many other lives with that decision. Nothing good comes out of suicides. Nothing is so bad you can't recover from it.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #14
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of agree with MaxPower; I don't know how I feel about the criminalization of "being mean." I wouldn't mind a bit harsher penalties for the spying and publicizing actions. But you cannot say Ravi knew that suicide would be the outcome. It'd be different if someone knew they were dealing with a person with psychiatric issues and they 'encouraged' suicide specifically. Then you could say that suicide was the intended outcome.

If we really believe that the 'normal' thing for human beings to do when they are publicly humiliated is to kill themselves... well, that's a pretty sad comment on our species. In fact, being outed as queer should not be a humiliation in the first place. Okay, I know we haven't really come that far (sadly), but I bet about one in 10 guys would've owned it; posted on his own twitter of FB "yep, I do screw guys -- deal with it, bitches."
Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
country flag Sean.

Sean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond reputeSean. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
I don't know. It's a tricky case. Have to separate what he actually did from the horrible end results. Some people are very sensitive and very inclined to commit suicide and that's no doubt what the defense has used to get a milder sentence.

"driven to suicide" is a very lose term. Should we charge parents to years in prison if their child commit suicide? Girlfriends if their boyfriend commits suicide after bullying/insensitive break-up or vice-versa? Legally they can't give him say 10 years even if that might be reasonable. It would set a legal prejudice that could have major consequences.

This is no doubt a horrible story and a very sad one but the saddest part is that Tyler didn't seek help instead. No doubt his parents (who seem like very good people) could have helped him. They could have gotten Ravi banned from the school for sure. They could have gotten a protected identity for their son and have him start at another college.

I mean there were many options out but Tyler himself threw that away when he jumped from the bridge. He also destroyed many other lives with that decision. Nothing good comes out of suicides. Nothing is so bad you can't recover from it.
Very good post.

Of course what happened is tragic and I'm not defending Ravi at all, but if he had done the same to someone else chances are they would not have committed suicide, so I'm guessing the defence argued that he was not 100% responsible.