Endless Federer-Nadal debates - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How will it look?

Nadal more than 15 matches ahead. 108 40.30%
Nadal 13-14 matches ahead. 25 9.33%
Nadal 11-12 matches ahead. 19 7.09%
Nadal 9-10 matches ahead. 20 7.46%
Nadal 7-8 matches ahead. 20 7.46%
Nadal 5-6 matches ahead. 19 7.09%
Nadal 3-4 matches ahead. 5 1.87%
Nadal 1-2 matches ahead. 1 0.37%
Equal 4 1.49%
Federer ahead 47 17.54%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #121
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer end his career as Nadal's pigeon ?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #122
country flag Persimmon

Persimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of Federer vs Rafa 2011 AO, what does it mean for the winner?

I believe that Fed is more likely to reach the AO final and hence win it than Rafa. Roger is just better on HC.
Persimmon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #123
country flag lbj2009

lbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of Federer vs Rafa 2011 AO, what does it mean for the winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie456 View Post
That will not happen. Roddick will beat Rafa and prevent a Fedal final.
you reached a new low.
lbj2009 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #124
country flag lbj2009

lbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond reputelbj2009 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
On recent form I think it's more likely that Nadal will miss out. Since USO, Federer only lost on Monfils (after having a shit load of MPs) and Murray

Nadal on the other hand lost to GGL, Melzer, Federer. And went into a fair few long tough games.
All the loss after USO give more rest. I think that's right decision for nadal to play next season. We all know Nadal's style need more energy and physical strength. I feel happy about his loss after USO.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #125
country flag nadal_slam_king
Banned!

nadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
On recent form I think it's more likely that Nadal will miss out. Since USO, Federer only lost on Monfils (after having a shit load of MPs) and Murray

Nadal on the other hand lost to GGL, Melzer, Federer. And went into a fair few long tough games.
Although Rafa peaks for slams, while Federer lately does not
nadal_slam_king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #126
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

This is one strange grand slam. Much like the USO, the top 4 have at least been to the finals of this event. And it is another one of those slams where most players seem to do well, (unlike Roland Garros and to a lesser extent Wimbledon).

With that said, if these 2 champs were to meet, here are my thoughts:

1. If Federer wins, it will add another trophy to the list, and it will further his cause to have the legitimate right to be the GOAT.

2. If Nadal wins, things can look detrimental, and the h2h records on slams will have a bigger gap, and Nadal will start having MUCH more wins, and it might raise the possibility that people will lose their respect toward Federer as a #1 player, and see him as just a great competitor.

3. Not to mention, a 2nd hard court title would mean that Nadal is one of the greatest all surface players.

Again, this rivalry is one of the greatest I've ever seen. There are so many implications after each possible grand slam, that it is ridiculous. One of Federer's primary goals right now is to break any possible (doable) records he can possibly break within the next few years. (i.e.The most AO, USO, Wimbledon titles in the open era) (The most WTFs) etc. His other and probably most important primary goal, is to finish his career off with 4-6 more slams and deepen the distance between his main rival (Nadal) in order to make it a pain in the arse, for Nadal to reach him.

Federer knows that Nadal is no joke, he has plenty of respect for him, as if the tears were not enough (AO 2009), so I expect him, if he can to possibly even play it out till 35 if he really has to widen that gap.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #127
country flag Haelfix

Haelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it means much to Federer. He's at least for now, the best to ever play the game and winning another one doesn't change that (there is no north of the north pole).

However, it does mean a lot to Rafa, b/c he will have all 4 majors at once, which no one has done since Laver!

I think it would put him in the GOAT conversation with Laver, Pete, Fed and Borg with the option to perhaps surpass them at some not so distant point in the future (say with another 4 slams).

As far as the H2H goes, honestly it doesn't mean much. If Rafa loses, you can just say that Federer is the better hardcourt player (which is obvious), and if Fed loses you can just mention matchup dynamics and or the age factor.
Haelfix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:13 AM   #128
country flag theseth1119

theseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persimmon View Post
I believe that Fed is more likely to reach the AO final and hence win it than Rafa. Roger is just better on HC.

Agreed, not even close, Rogie has 44 hard court titles and Rafa only has 11, a 4 to 1 ratio. Rogie has won (1 Sydney, 2 Vienna's, 1 Marseille, 4 Dubai's, 5 World Tour Finals's, 4 Australian Open's, 3 Indian Wells', 2 Miami's, 2 Doha's, 2 Toronto's, 4 Cincinnati's, 2 Bangkok's, 5 US Opens', 4 Basel's, 1 Stockholm, 1 Madrid on hard, and 1 Tokyo)= 44 titles.

Rafa has won (2 Toronto's, 1 Madrid on Hard, 1 Beijing, 1 Dubai, 2 Indian Wells', 1 Olympics, 1 Australian Open, 1 US Open, and 1 Tokyo)= 11 titles.

Rogie has won 17 different hard court titles and Rafa only 9, also Rogie has defended various hard court titles many times, Rafa not any titles ever.

Lastly, #1 for hard court titles is Agassi with 46, #2 is Rogie with 44, and Rafa is at #19 (tied with 3 others) with just 11.

Rogie is far superior to Rafa: Hard Courts (44>11), Grass (11>3), Carpet (2>0), 57 to 14, a slightly over 4 to 1 ratio. Ok, so on clay it's Rafa 29 and Rogie only 9, a slightly over 3 to 1 ratio, but Rafa only has the advantage on one surface. 66>43 to by a slightly over 1.5 to 1 ratio.
theseth1119 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #129
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Federer defeating Nadal doesn't imply anything about whose the better hard court player.

There was high expectations for Federer to defeat Nadal in their first hard court slam final, and Federer failed miserably. The fact that he lost the first grand slam meeting at a hard court, raised eye brows by many observers.

There was high expectations for Djokovic to defeat Nadal, if they'd ever face at a U.S. Open (preferably in 4 sets given how Djokovic has destroyed Nadal in the past on hard courts- smaller tournaments), even with that said, Djokovic failed.

So at this point in time, it is not that great, to say whether Federer/Djokovic>>>Nadal on hard courts etc. etc. Just because of h2h records on masters or smaller tournaments.

Masters, smaller tournaments, best of 3 sets in general, should not be considered for h2h. These matches can go by ridiculously fast, and won't guarantee results at a grand slam.

Andy Murray defeated Federer at best of 3 tournaments on hard courts, more than Federer defeated him on the same surface, but does that mean Murray is a better hard court player, simply because Murray's smaller tournament wins are larger than Federer's grand slam hard court wins over him?
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #130
country flag lbj2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseth1119 View Post
Agreed, not even close, Rogie has 44 hard court titles and Rafa only has 11, a 4 to 1 ratio. Rogie has won (1 Sydney, 2 Vienna's, 1 Marseille, 4 Dubai's, 5 World Tour Finals's, 4 Australian Open's, 3 Indian Wells', 2 Miami's, 2 Doha's, 2 Toronto's, 4 Cincinnati's, 2 Bangkok's, 5 US Opens', 4 Basel's, 1 Stockholm, 1 Madrid on hard, and 1 Tokyo)= 44 titles.

Rafa has won (2 Toronto's, 1 Madrid on Hard, 1 Beijing, 1 Dubai, 2 Indian Wells', 1 Olympics, 1 Australian Open, 1 US Open, and 1 Tokyo)= 11 titles.

Rogie has won 17 different hard court titles and Rafa only 9, also Rogie has defended various hard court titles many times, Rafa not any titles ever.

Lastly, #1 for hard court titles is Agassi with 46, #2 is Rogie with 44, and Rafa is at #19 (tied with 3 others) with just 11.

Rogie is far superior to Rafa: Hard Courts (44>11), Grass (11>3), Carpet (2>0), 57 to 14, a slightly over 4 to 1 ratio. Ok, so on clay it's Rafa 29 and Rogie only 9, a slightly over 3 to 1 ratio, but Rafa only has the advantage on one surface. 66>43 to by a slightly over 1.5 to 1 ratio.
please consider their age respectively.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #131
country flag Zagor

Zagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
24-year-old No. 1 beating a 29-year-old means jack, but the Rafa Slam would be an astonishing achievement whomever he beat. 29-year-old making the final indicates weakness in the rest of Nadal's generation. Federer winning wouldn't mean much either, beyond proving once again what an amazing pleyer he is.
I wouldn't necessarily say Fed reaching the final at AO(or any other slam)in 2011 would indicate weakness of Nadal's generation but Fed winning 2 or 3 slams next year definitely would.I mean we have a young champion at the peak of his abilities in Nadal and a bunch of young players like Murray,Novak etc. it really wouldn't look good for them at all if they can't stop an old veteran from winning the big ones.

I think far too many people seem to conveniently forget the fact that Fed is competing against players who are 5 or more years younger than him which is a huge disadvantage in tennis.The fact that he can still beat them handily if he's in good form and executing his gameplan well like he did at WTF is a testament to his greatness as a player but it still doesn't take away the fact that his movement,agility,reflexes etc. are nowhere near his prime years(which almost anyone who has followed Fed's career and watched him play at his peak knows).
Zagor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #132
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

the implications for the loser would be.......

tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #133
country flag nadal_slam_king
Banned!

nadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post

I agree
nadal_slam_king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #134
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post

Is that from this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuYpd...eature=related
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #135
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

So no WTF for Nutella in 2010.

Hmmm, I still think Federers 2007 was much better.

All four slam finals, 3 slams, WTF.

Vs

AO QF, 3 slams, WTF final.

Does have the clay slam, although all four slams in a calander year (back to back seasons!) is much harder than 3 slams in a row. Federers been so close to 10 slams in a row no one cares about Nadals stupid "Nadal slam".

Federers 2007 by a landslide

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote