Endless Federer-Nadal debates - Page 85 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How will it look?

Nadal more than 15 matches ahead. 96 38.10%
Nadal 13-14 matches ahead. 25 9.92%
Nadal 11-12 matches ahead. 19 7.54%
Nadal 9-10 matches ahead. 19 7.54%
Nadal 7-8 matches ahead. 20 7.94%
Nadal 5-6 matches ahead. 18 7.14%
Nadal 3-4 matches ahead. 5 1.98%
Nadal 1-2 matches ahead. 1 0.40%
Equal 4 1.59%
Federer ahead 45 17.86%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #1261
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Nadal more talented than Federer?

Where is a 'no' option? troll thread and I can't believe you guys are actually discussing this.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #1262
country flag Noserer
Banned!

Noserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
I don't care if he's more talented or not, he's the better player and that's what counts.
This is very true.
Noserer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #1263
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Where is a 'no' option? troll thread and I can't believe you guys are actually discussing this.
Wow I agree with Alex for once.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #1264
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Now that said about Nadal, his body is a great talent ... but also a big liability, because I agree with many Nadalfans that his knee problem is more about bad luck than about the fact that his game is physical (although I still think having heard physios about that that his steps on the ground are very bad for his legs, it's not only about a "defensive running style", it's also about how you run, and how you use your legs, and for that I think that his footwork and game are "too physical")

His congenital problems with his legs, the fact that his feet were too small ... are well-documented.

In my eyes, he's the Achilles of the Iliad : a semi-God with a "Achille's heel".

And Fed in my eyes is the Hector of the Iliad (I even made fun imagining what the other players were : Djokovic was Pâris if I remember well and Moya was Patroclus )
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #1265
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is the more talented tennis player, Nadal is the more talented athlete.

Basically, Federer was born to play tennis, he understands the game like no other and thus can play at maybe the highest level the sport has ever seen (during his prime) without putting much strain on his body, which is why he could conceivably remain a top 10 player until his late 30s, 40yo. Nadal, on the other hand, could probably succeed in a lot of different sports with his freakish athletic ability/talent; he's probably the most natural player ever on a claycourt, but outside of clay he has definitely benefitted from playing in an era where surfaces are slow enough to let his main attributes (speed, stamina, athleticism) shine. He most definitely can't play at a top level as 'effortlessly' as Federer, he's really putting his body on the line out there with outrageous physical feats. Tennis doesn't come as natural to him as it does to Federer.

With that said, Federer is an amazing athlete too, and Nadal has a lot of talent for tennis of course, don't let his unortodox technique fool you. The reason why both have such an amazing resumé is because they're beyong gifted in one of these aspects (Federer tennis talent, Nadal athletic ability) but also extraordinary in the other aspect, and both extremely strong mentally.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 11-26-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #1266
country flag Acer

Acer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond repute

Clever thread is clever
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #1267
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
I don't care if he's more talented or not, he's the better player and that's what counts.
Proof?

In b 4 18-10.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #1268
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

one evidence in my eyes that Nadal is greatly talented : his game is greatly effective, esp. his spinnning abilities ... but why can no other player play the same way ?

Fed has a great technique but which others can approach or emulate, see Dimitrov for his shots, "only" he lacks his footwork.

Nadal ? nobody can play like him !

Both because of his athletic abilities and his hand abilities imo. I think you need to be incredibly strong to play his game so effectively (usually players who play with a lot of spin tend to play too short, that's always been their problem, it also was a problem for Nadal initially on hardcourts).

As for the legend "Nadal could only play on grass because he worked a lot and completely changed his game" has he really changed his game that much ? and at just 17 years old (yes the age Quinzi will be in 2 months) he already reached 3rd round in Wimbledon defeating Mario Ancic ! His movement on grass has always been genious !
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #1269
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

If Dimitrov lacking for Fed just in footwork he would already be top 10 player for years
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #1270
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Who would want that?

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #1271
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Who would want that?
from what I read a lot of children and adolescents are big fans and try to emulate him : I do sincerely hope (and fortunately think) that nobody can emulate him
Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #1272
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed fought over many times with each thread getting closed after a while. It'll probably be a few more pages before this thread combusts as well.

The obvious answer is that in terms of tennis talent, it is Federer above Nadal by a good margin, while physical talent certainly Nadal takes the cake in general. However, both aspects, especially physical ability, are impossible to truly analyze. Federer never tries to outgrind his opponents, so perhaps his physical talent/abilities were even overrated in a way during his prime years but coincidentally working perfectly for his play style. While at the same time, Rafa's true tennis abilties are really tough to determine too for the opposite reason. He doesn't play many rallies where he places himself in a really uncomfortable situation requiring him to make some magic as often as maybe a Federer for example does. Sure, Rafa produces mesmerizing passing shots, but I think that has more to his athletic ability rather than his tennis abilties.

Quote:
one evidence in my eyes that Nadal is greatly talented : his game is greatly effective, esp. his spinnning abilities ... but why can no other player play the same way ?

Fed has a great technique but which others can approach or emulate, see Dimitrov for his shots, "only" he lacks his footwork.

Both because of his athletic abilities and his hand abilities imo. I think you need to be incredibly strong to play his game so effectively (usually players who play with a lot of spin tend to play too short, that's always been their problem, it also was a problem for Nadal initially on hardcourts).

As for the legend "Nadal could only play on grass because he worked a lot and completely changed his game" has he really changed his game that much ? and at just 17 years old (yes the age Quinzi will be in 2 months) he already reached 3rd round in Wimbledon defeating Mario Ancic ! His movement on grass has always been genious !
The spinning ability... obviously much credit has to go for Rafa, but without a doubt, technology is what has allowed him to do such a thing. Even then, there are players on tour who can rival the amount of spin and pace he places on the ball. His success doesn't stem from being "unique" but rather a combination of mental and physical abilities.

The Wimbledon success, you have to be quite soft to say such a thing. Yes, it was a very good effort on Rafa's part of course, but he got a very good draw. Ancic is obviously a great opponent, but at that point of Mario's career, the only notable thing was still defeating Federer the previous year. Either way, if one wants to compare, Federer for example drew Jiri Novak and Kafelnikov the first times he went to Wimbledon. Rafa played Lee Childs in the second round, just another hyped and lost Brit. Either way, I would still be entirely skeptical of Rafa's success against serve and volleyers on the grass of the previous decades. Rafa doesn't have a return like Agassi, and his baseline game heavily relies on the other player willing to try to out grind him, not to mention how far he stands back regardless of the slight adjustment he makes when he plays on grass.

Last edited by HKz : 11-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #1273
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
look at the threads I started there is one or two about that.

Ahletic ability is a part of tennis ability imo. There are also some inner mental skills.

But yes the whole problem comes from the definition of "talent" : for me it means "natural gift", for others it mostly means "hand talent" ... as if anybody could reach a great physical or mental level just by work, I agree with you, that's completely wrong. And I think that many skills which are considered as "talent" are more about technique ... and technique can be worked about.

Tennis used to be much less physical and in that time the notion of "talent" which people usually have in tennis was much much more suitable. But tennis has completely changed : tennis is not a welcoming place for Nastases anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Federer is the more talented tennis player, Nadal is the more talented athlete.

Basically, Federer was born to play tennis, he understands the game like no other and thus can play at maybe the highest level the sport has ever seen (during his prime) without putting much strain on his body, which is why he could conceivably remain a top 10 player until his late 30s, 40yo. Nadal, on the other hand, could probably succeed in a lot of different sports with his freakish athletic ability/talent; he's probably the most natural player ever on a claycourt, but outside of clay he has definitely benefitted from playing in an era where surfaces are slow enough to let his main attributes (speed, stamina, athleticism) shine. He most definitely can't play at a top level as 'effortlessly' as Federer, he's really putting his body on the line out there with outrageous physical feats. Tennis doesn't come as natural to him as it does to Federer.

With that said, Federer is an amazing athlete too, and Nadal has a lot of talent for tennis of course, don't let his unortodox technique fool you. The reason why both have such an amazing resumé is because they're beyong gifted in one of these aspects (Federer tennis talent, Nadal athletic ability) but also extraordinary in the other aspect, and both extremely strong mentally.
Great posts. Manuel, you sumed it up perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
You never know with Djokovic. He is as predictable as Calgary weather.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #1274
country flag JanKowalski

JanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond reputeJanKowalski has a reputation beyond repute

Did you guys even read the poll options? Congratulations, the troll is well fed.
JanKowalski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #1275
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole Rules View Post
Great posts. Manuel, you sumed it up perfectly.
Thanks. Always glad to lend my services as an observant and unbiased analyst of the game and its players
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote