Will Murray take down Djokovic and Federer and compete for slams titles next year? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Murray be a serious slam contender and contend for No.1

No 27 69.23%
Yes 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
country flag Serve&Volley01

Serve&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will Murray take down Djokovic and Federer and compete for slams titles next year?

2014 was a mediocre to bad year for Andy not living up to his expectations. His HTH record against the big three this year is 0-9

vs Old Man Fed was 0-3
vs Rafa Nadal was 0-2
vs Novak Djokovic was 0-4

But we all know Murray in 2011/12 was supposed to be the next player to dominate the tour once Nadal/Djokovic eclipsed and was Knighted by the Queen.

Will 2015 be the year he regains the throne and takes down all his rivals?
Serve&Volley01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
country flag SerialKillerToBe

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Murray take down Djokovic and Federer and compete for slams titles next year

if he does I won't be there to witness it
SerialKillerToBe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
country flag Andrej

Andrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond reputeAndrej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Murray take down Djokovic and Federer and compete for slams titles next year

I hope he becomes competitive against the best again, but I wouldn't bet anything on it.
Andrej is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
country flag doubletrollt

doubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond reputedoubletrollt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve&Volley01 View Post
2014 was a mediocre to bad year for Andy not living up to his expectations. His HTH record against the big three this year is 0-9

vs Old Man Fed was 0-3
vs Rafa Nadal was 0-2

But we all know Murray in 2011/12 was supposed to be the next player to dominate the tour once Nadal/Djokovic eclipsed and was Knighted by the Queen.

As at Wimb and USO this year, next month he'll again find himself in Djokovic quarter, with probably Dimitrov in R16, or he will be in Djokovic half but Wawrinka's quarter with Cilic in R16.

Even if he beats them all, there will be still The friend of AO or Federer left in the other half, fresh as daisy, after beating the likes of Ferrer, Raonic, Berdych.

Last edited by doubletrollt : 12-03-2014 at 11:37 PM.
doubletrollt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve&Volley01 View Post

vs Old Man Fed was 0-3
vs Rafa Nadal was 0-2

ouch, I did not even realize he had zero wins against his main rivals. that's tough

2015 no way does he have a chance at #1. too poor on clay and frankly, lately, too poor on HC. I definitely can see him getting to the top 3 again

in a big match though I just don't see him beating Roger or Nadal though. fortunately for him in BO5 it seems that he has the ability to trip Djokovic up (I think it's something to do with Novak feeling uncomfortable playing against such a similar player in terms of how they grind)

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
country flag Vinch

Vinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond reputeVinch has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Murray's best days are behind him and he will become the "new Ferrer". I think that he will hardly ever lose to anyone ranked lower than him and He will not win many matches against top players.
So no, he may make a final if a draw opens up nicely for him but I don't see him do much better than this year.
Vinch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
country flag TooBadFed

TooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond reputeTooBadFed has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps you missed the match vs Fed at WTF

6-0, 6-1

he got worse as the year progressed on, not better
TooBadFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
country flag MasterPredictor

MasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPredictor has a reputation beyond repute

Murray's 2nd serve is such a huge weakness. I can't look past that when I think about him beating the likes of Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal. Needs to fix that and be more aggressive in rallies.
MasterPredictor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Like someone said, the great champs will eventually find a way to turn things around. This year was a write-off for Ray but next year is crucial for him to get it together. I guess we gonna see. I like him mad though.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #10
country flag TheEndIsNear

TheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond reputeTheEndIsNear has a reputation beyond repute

He won't ever get anywhere near world number 1, but he might still win some slams if all goes well (and with some luck). And he will definitely record at least one win against either Federer, Djokovic, or Nadal in 2015... I hope.
2014 YE#1
Undefeated Father
TheEndIsNear is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #11
country flag Cloren

Cloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond repute

It would be better for tennis if he goes back to his 2011/12 level, or at least much better than his current level, but I'm not sure, his whole 2014 was extremely disappointing, things don't look bright for him atm. That loss against Federer was very embarrassing.
Cloren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #12
country flag 2020

2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute2020 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't frankly see him ever beat Novak in a slam. Federer and Nadal maybe due to their age and injuries. He has to avoid Djokovic if he is to win slams imo.
2020 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

I think he can beat Roger if he raises his level and Roger drops his which could happen. I don't see him beating Novak or Dull though.

As for winning a slam it can happen, Cilic won one this year after all.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

If he gets fully fit / no back problems anymore, he should be able to get back to his best levels, but at this point that seems like a big if.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #15
country flag Tezza12

Tezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond reputeTezza12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still hopeful that Murray will recapture something at least close to his best form; parts of that three title run looked quite impressive, and the first two sets against Novak at the USO looked encouraging.

That loss against Federer though...