Amendment One passes in North Carolina by 61-39% vote. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amendment One passes in North Carolina by 61-39% vote.

And it's things like this that make the United States a laughing stock. If you don't live in a big liberal city, the West Coast or a few of the more progressive Northeastern states, if you're gay/liberal/atheist/etc., you better be prepared for a life of hell. The world at large sucks on the issue. Fucking accept people for who they are and get the fuck over someone being gay:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...measure-passes

Amendment One North Carolina: Anti-Gay Marriage Measure Passes

A proposed amendment to North Carolina’s constitution which would make marriage between a man and woman the only legal union recognized by the state has passed a statewide vote, the Associated Press reports.

The referendum- North Carolina Amendment One- goes a step beyond outlawing same-sex marriage, which was already illegal in the state. The law decrees that “marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State”- meaning that civil unions and potentially other types of domestic partnerships will no longer be legally recognized.

With 99 percent of precincts reporting, support for the amendment was strong- with about 61 percent of North Carolina voters casting their ballots in favor of the amendment, and roughly 39 percent voting against it.

There is some uncertainty among legal scholars in the state as to the extent of the law, and what types of partnerships might be affected, as the terminology in the amendment- domestic legal union- has not appeared in North Carolina statutes previously.

“The language ‘domestic legal union’ is not used in North Carolina statutes or in North Carolina case law,” said Jean Cary, professor of law at Campbell University in Raleigh, N.C., “so it is totally undefined.”

The North Carolina Democratic Party released a statement saying that Tuesday’s results were a “setback” but that Democrats in the state would continue to fight for “equal rights.”

“Tonight’s results are an unfortunate reminder that the fight for Civil Rights in our state is not yet over. Writing discrimination into our Constitution is wrong. The State Constitution exists to protect the rights of our citizens- not to take them away. Despite this setback, north Carolina Democrats will continue to fight for all of our citizens” the statement said.

Tony Perkins, President of the Family Research Council- a conservative Christian organization- released a statement applauding the vote.

“We applaud North Carolina voters for joining voters in 31 other states upholding the historic and natural definition of marriage as the union of one man and one woman” the statement said. “At every opportunity, the American people have demonstrated a deep appreciation for the unique benefits that marriage between a man and a woman brings to families and society. They recognize that marriage is the only kind of union that results in natural procreation and keeps a mother and father together to raise the children produced by their union.”

North Carolina had previously been the only Southern state that did not have a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage. Some 29 states already have statutes or constitutional amendments outlawing same-sex marriage. Additionally, in Hawaii, the state legislature has the power to define marriage, though the state does not currently explicitly ban same-sex marriage. North Carolina will now become the 30th state with such a law. Same sex marriage is currently legal in six states, plus Washington, D.C.

The passage of Amendment One is not necessarily a harbinger of bad things to come for Obama and the Democrats in the fall. This type of legislation has not always fallen along red and blue state lines. Constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage have passed in several blue states including Oregon, Maine and California.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amendment One passes in North Carolina by 61-39% vote.

What do you expect from a nation whose majority wouldn't vote for an atheist president if if he was the perfect candidate for the job. They still think church should regulate who marries who and that is supposedly land of free. In Japan, some dude officially married an anime character for fuck's sake Who gives a shit about who marries who or what? It's mere formality at this point.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, this amendment means ALL domestic partnerships, straight and gay, are invalidated. ALL common law marriages, ALL single parents, ALL cohabitating couples, they ALL are no longer recognized under North Carolina law as valid, they have zero legal recognition.

This will be challenged in court. There were six counties that voted against the Amendment out of over 100. And those six were Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham, Wake and Asheville. So, basically, the only places worth a damn in North Carolina, to be completely honest. These places are typically the youngest, most college-educated and most business-friendly. The Chapel Hill-Durham area voted 75+% against the amendment. That is where Duke and North Carolina universities are located.

The youth in our world are going to be the ones who drive the progress past IGNORANT BULLSHIT.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

God bless America...

This is what religion does to you. Apparently what people do in the privacy of their beds is a major issue of today's society.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
What do you expect from a nation whose majority wouldn't vote for an atheist president if if he was the perfect candidate for the job. They still think church should regulate who marries who and that is supposedly land of free. In Japan, some dude officially married an anime character for fuck's sake Who gives a shit about who marries who or what? It's mere formality at this point.
People in America consider same-sex couples marrying an attack on their principles. I expect some sort of enlightenment or education but then realize that rural areas are stuck in the 1800s socially and refuse to get out. And the religion factor is obviously strong, and it's bullshit.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

I just want to knock this into everyone's head.

This passed with SIXTY-ONE PERCENT OF THE VOTE. 61% Virtually TWO-THIRDS of people voted for this in North Carolina. In the year 2012. When the economy is as shit as it is, when we have wars all across the Middle East, gay is still basically one of the top two or three issues in American society. What a pathetic country this has become.

And America calls itself the home of the free. Whatever. Only if you're white, Christian, conservative, male and straight.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
country flag the biscuit

the biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cFWS4gP44

No wonder.
the biscuit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Colorado also failed to bring a civil unions bill up to vote although the votes were there to pass it. Republican House speaker Frank McNulty intentionally stalled the bill and let it die before getting a full speaking and debate on the House floor:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...l-from-a-vote/

Chants of "shame on you" from gay rights supporters thundered through the Colorado House on Tuesday night after Republican House Speaker Frank McNulty said legislation to allow civil unions won't get a vote.

McNulty told reporters that lawmakers had reached an impasse and civil unions would die along with several other bills, including an overhaul of school discipline policies and setting a blood-level marijuana limit for drivers.

"We have reached an impasse," McNulty said. "It is unfortunate that there will be items that will not receive consideration by the House tonight because of this impasse."

Colorado's debate came as gay rights are in the national spotlight.

North Carolina voters approved a constitutional amendment Tuesday defining marriage solely as a union between a man and a woman, and also barring civil unions. Also, Vice President Joe Biden said over the weekend that he was "absolutely comfortable" with same-sex married couples getting the same rights at heterosexual married couples.

Colorado's bill had cleared a key hurdle Tuesday when Republican Rep. Cheri Gerou joined Democrats to advance the measure out of its final committee for consideration by the full chamber.

"This isn't a partisan conversation," Gerou said. "This is, in my mind, this is a basic human rights conversation."

Republicans in two other House committees had also joined Democrats.

Supporters gathered at a rally outside the Capitol earlier Tuesday to pressure the GOP to take action on the bill, chanting "Let them vote!" to Republican lawmakers who control the House.

Gay rights advocates had been nervous that Republican opponents would use procedural tactics to run out the clock and kill the bill.

Tuesday night's announcement that the bill wouldn't get a vote came hours after Democrats sought to block a GOP filibuster on civil unions. Republicans control the House on a 33-32 margin but enough members of their party supported the legislation to pass it.

Democrats used a procedural move to try to stop debate on other bills when it became clear Republicans were talking at length about other measures, delaying any action on civil unions.

Republicans responded by abruptly stopping floor work.

The bill needed to have an initial vote of the full House before midnight Tuesday or else the proposal would die. That's because the Legislature adjourns Wednesday, so there wouldn't be time for a final vote.

Earlier, Democratic Rep. Ferrandino, his party's leader in the House, told the House's third-ranking Republican, Rep. Mark Waller, "We're willing to work with you to make sure every bill gets an up or down vote tonight."

The Senate had already approved the bill, and Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper supported it.

After the announcement that civil unions legislation was dead this year, Ferrandino, a gay lawmaker sponsoring the bill, tried to calm down observers who began chanting, including one who said to McNulty, "All we ask is you give us a chance."

More than a dozen states allow either gay marriage or civil unions. Hawaii and Delaware began allowing civil unions this year.

McNulty, who opposes the plan, said earlier that Democrats intentionally held the bill to force a standoff.

"We all know that it's a heated public policy issue to begin with and with the Senate Democrats sitting on it for 110 days, they've really turned it into a manufactured crisis here at the end of session," he said.

Democratic Sen. Pat Steadman, a gay lawmaker sponsoring the bill, said House Republicans specifically asked Senate Democrats to hold the civil unions bill until after GOP assemblies April 14, to avoid attracting primary opponents.

"They wanted to cower and hide until after their nominating assemblies. We were asked to wait, and that weekend in April was specifically cited," Steadman said.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

All of this highlights one thing-----there is a full-fledged war being taken against the gay community in America. WAR. Do not be mistaken otherwise. Social conservatives are ATTACKING my community. I honestly just want to cry. I really badly just want to cry, because I hate this shit, but I don't need their support. I feel so fucking lucky to live in a progressive city. I simply cannot fathom nor comprehend why this is still happening and why the attacks against the gays are getting worse in 2012. It's as if nothing has changed at all. I know some things have, but we have so much work left to be done.

I'm simply really sad today. So many lives are being hurt and people don't even care.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

United States of Sectarianism
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Bigoted arseholes.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

I need to move...

Matosevic, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Dolgopolov, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Gonzalez, Monaco, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Shame. Damn shame.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Only 34% of people in North Carolina voted. What does that mean? It means the bigots were more galvanized. As they always are. A lot of people say they want equality, either for themselves or their friends, but the truth is that gays/gay supporters don't fight for our rights as much as homophobes fight against us. We're too apathetic. We're too content with just living, straight supporters are too content with realizing homosexuality doesn't affect them and not having the motivation needed to fight for what's right. I think people haven't grasped just how much of a war this truly is. We haven't won anything yet. If you want to see things like this prevented in the future, you have to stand up, make your voice heard and put and end to the bigotry but doing your part to foster a change in hearts and minds.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Is that your state Filo?
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote