Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams' - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #61
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,840
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
What kind of person would derive more honor from winning a week long best out of 3 tournament than a grueling 2 week best of 5 tournament? Probably an idiot.
The symbolic value of the event, and the significance of winning it for your country, is what confers the honor - not how hard you worked as an individual.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #62
country flag Lestat
Registered User
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 33
Posts: 2,138
Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
This is correct. The Olympic tournament doesn't have much tradition in tennis yet and you won't be induced on the Hall of Fame for your Olympic medals. In terms of tennis greatness, it means little.

But Olympics are far bigger than tennis. Winning the Olympic gold medal is a far greater achievement for a sportsman than winning any tennis tournament. People debating whether it's an important achievement for tennis greatness are completely missing the point.

Olympics are just much bigger than any single sport. If you don't believe me, believe Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Every sportsman worth his salt dreams of one day winning an Olympic gold medal. Even Messi cites it as his proudest achievement in his football career.

Discussing ranking points, importance for tennis greatness, etc... only shows people have no idea what the Olympic Games mean for a sportsman.
dude stop the crap about Messi, he would burn down the olympic gold medal just to win the fifa world cup, there is no single player in the world that care more a U-23 gold medal instead the world cup. Fact.
__________________
Supporting the Ballbasher Nation, some of our proud soldiers:
Juan Martin del Potro - Robin Soderling - Ernests Gulbis - Thomas Berdych - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Exiled: Janowicz
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #63
country flag thehotstuff66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 204
thehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiedis View Post
Thanks for sharing your feelings with us, but we really give a shit what you you like.

It's called an opinion like you just expressed, Ahole. And who is this "WE".........u should only be speaking for yourself but then again when the shit like you just said comes out, it's no wonder, you have a tendacy to go around talking for others....

I HATE Nadal, get over it....no need to respond, you only get one chance to go at me and this was yours....


Will not be responding to anything else you say or post, idiot.

cat
thehotstuff66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #64
country flag Kiedis
Registered User
 
Kiedis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,459
Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehotstuff66 View Post
It's called an opinion like you just expressed, Ahole. And who is this "WE".........u should only be speaking for yourself but then again when the shit like you just said comes out, it's no wonder, you have a tendacy to go around talking for others....

I HATE Nadal, get over it....no need to respond, you only get one chance to go at me and this was yours....


Will not be responding to anything else you say or post, idiot.

cat
Your "opinion" simply is absurd being extremely polite. We are discussing about the importance of the Olympics, not about if you likes chocolate ice-creams or you hate paella. Nobody cares about your paranoia or at least I don't care
__________________
Free Edward Snowden | Free Brad Manning | Free SDG | Free CD

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #65
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,929
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Look, I thought we were on a tennis forum so discussing the Olympics in a tennis context is correct, no matter how you twist and turn it. To give a more pertinent example let's look at the case of football. The gold medal there does not matter at all. You have some youngsters playing with 2 or 3 pensioners.

In tennis terms, the Olympics is not an important event. It's important in London because it's played at Wimbledon. This, again, just illustrates the fact that the history of the venue is important and not the occasion. And where does this history really come from? You guessed it right - Wimbledon being, arguably, the most special slam.

You also cannot compare the Olympics in tennis with other events as the Olympics are the MAJOR goal of many athletes in athletics. Really, you're comparing oranges with apples when talking about the Olympics as a whole. Every sport has a different Olympic tradition and tennis's is not great.

That's the last I'll try to convince you of this.
Well, yes, it might be pertinent to discuss it in tennis terms, but it'd be missing the point. The reason why Nadal, Federer and co. want the Olympic medal is not its importance as a tennis tournament. The reason why Djokovic cried after losing to Nadal in China and still cites it as the worst moment of his career also has nothing to do with the Olympics importance as a tennis tournament.

We could discuss Rafa's statements taking the Olympics as just another tournament in the tennis calendar, but that would not lead to any productive discussion. If people are really thinking like that, no wonder they can't understand Rafa and Nole's statements. I have no doubt whatsoever that they are serious when they say the Olympics is what they want to win the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
dude stop the crap about Messi, he would burn down the olympic gold medal just to win the fifa world cup, there is no single player in the world that care more a U-23 gold medal instead the world cup. Fact.
This might actually be true. But then again, the football World Cup is the second most important sporting event in the world. Its importance far surpasses that of a tennis Grand Slam.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #66
country flag hipolymer
Registered User
 
hipolymer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Age: 34
Posts: 7,788
hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Well I can't really judge Djokovic for having this opinion, or Rafa for that matter. But the fact remains that in 100 years people will be looking at the grandslam total and not the Olympics total to determine the GOAT. Players' mentality, opinions, and beliefs hold little importance.
__________________
Pay your respects to the vultures. . . .
Did you know : the famous gangster Al Capone's criminal headquarters was based inside of a hotel
'82 - '91: best decade in tennis
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
Since becoming a Fed Fan I have had 0 moderations
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #67
country flag moon language
Registered User
 
moon language's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: at Tanagra
Posts: 2,362
moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Why are people so concerned about how Nadal personally values the Olympics? So much classic MTF overreaction in this thread.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #68
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,929
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Well I can't really judge Djokovic for having this opinion, or Rafa for that matter. But the fact remains that in 100 years people will be looking at the grandslam total and not the Olympics total to determine the GOAT. Players' mentality, opinions, and beliefs hold little importance.
Ever thought that maybe, just maybe, players couldn't give a shit about who some randoms think is the GOAT?

Hard as it may seem to believe, the minds of elite players don't work in the same way as the minds of their tards.

Rafa/Nole's opinion of the Olympics/desire to win the Olympics has nothing to do with any GOAT nonsense. They just crave the chance of winning a medal for their country in the most important sporting event on the planet.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #69
country flag Looner
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,098
Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Well I can't really judge Djokovic for having this opinion, or Rafa for that matter. But the fact remains that in 100 years people will be looking at the grandslam total and not the Olympics total to determine the GOAT. Players' mentality, opinions, and beliefs hold little importance.
This, this and this a few hundred times in this case. Most people on this forum assume that players know best. It's not always the case. In tennis right now, Olympics are perceived as important. I wonder what it'll be if the Americans, who care little for the Olympics, were on top.
__________________
Can't touch this


The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #70
country flag fivebargate
Registered User
 
fivebargate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 742
fivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

I understand the desire of players to own a Olympic medal, I do. Particularly in especially nationalistic countries, where there is a real chance to represent....and to make a mark for the counrty on a gobal scale in an event that is usually individual.

However, I still have to disagree that tennis should be an Olympic sport....these are millionaire athletes with their own professional tour....and the pinnacles of tennis clearly lie outwith the remit of the Olympics. Ideally I would like to see in the Olympics only sports that feature a gold medal as the very global pinnacle of the discipline or event.....somehow the introduction of these glitzy sports like tennis and football weakens and demeans the Olympic spirit as a whole.

I that overall Olympics, for legacy purposes is hard to place. It is only pointed as 750pts for a win by the ATP...which is below a MS1000 event. Probably this is the right spot for it in the tennis world....although as others have pointed out, the emotional worth of such a medal for some will far outweight this - and with it a chance to be a part, rightly or wrongly, of Olympic history.
fivebargate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #71
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,840
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
This, this and this a few hundred times in this case. Most people on this forum assume that players know best.
Players know best about their own values, which is the subject of this thread - not who objectively is the GOAT (whatever that means).
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #72
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,929
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
This, this and this a few hundred times in this case. Most people on this forum assume that players know best. It's not always the case. In tennis right now, Olympics are perceived as important. I wonder what it'll be if the Americans, who care little for the Olympics, were on top.
It does work like that though. In a way, players decide the importance of tournaments. If the top 100 players for some reason decided to boycott Wimbledon, the tournament would lose all its importance. A tournament is as important as the players value it. Grand Slams are the pinnacle of tennis achievements because they are the tournaments players value the most, and not the other way round.

The Olympic tournament is becoming more and more important in tennis because with each event it gains more tradition and the players value it more.

Of course the top players' desire to win the Olympics has nothing to do with its relevance as a tennis tournament, but still, it's a more prestigious event in tennis terms than it was in 2008 and 2004, and it will likely be even more in 2016.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #73
country flag Looner
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,098
Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

The fact you talk about the Olympics becoming more relevant goes to point that they're NOT as relevant as the Slams. And has made the Slams that important is their history and tradition throughout the existence of the sport when they've always been regarded as majors. The Olympics hasn't even been played for that long.

It's like saying that if the players consider an event very important for a period of 10 years, come the evaluation of their careers that event should be included in the count. But when looking at the next generation it shouldn't count because times have moved down. It's a flawed logic.
__________________
Can't touch this


The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #74
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,929
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebargate View Post
I understand the desire of players to own a Olympic medal, I do. Particularly in especially nationalistic countries, where there is a real chance to represent....and to make a mark for the counrty on a gobal scale in an event that is usually individual.

However, I still have to disagree that tennis should be an Olympic sport....these are millionaire athletes with their own professional tour....and the pinnacles of tennis clearly lie outwith the remit of the Olympics. Ideally I would like to see in the Olympics only sports that feature a gold medal as the very global pinnacle of the discipline or event.....somehow the introduction of these glitzy sports like tennis and football weakens and demeans the Olympic spirit as a whole.

I that overall Olympics, for legacy purposes is hard to place. It is only pointed as 750pts for a win by the ATP...which is below a MS1000 event. Probably this is the right spot for it in the tennis world....although as others have pointed out, the emotional worth of such a medal for some will far outweight this - and with it a chance to be a part, rightly or wrongly, of Olympic history.
This is another discussion altogether - whether or not tennis should be an Olympic sport. But since it is, everyone wants a gold medal: Nadal has got one, Federer too, Djokovic is no doubt craving for one as well.

As for its importance in tennis terms, given the way
players seem to be targetting this year, it's at worst the fifth most important tennis event of the 2012 calendar. At worst. All the top players are targeting this event, there can be no doubt about that.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #75
country flag Mark Lenders
Registered User
 
Mark Lenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 12,929
Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
The fact you talk about the Olympics becoming more relevant goes to point that they're NOT as relevant as the Slams. And has made the Slams that important is their history and tradition throughout the existence of the sport when they've always been regarded as majors. The Olympics hasn't even been played for that long.

It's like saying that if the players consider an event very important for a period of 10 years, come the evaluation of their careers that event should be included in the count. But when looking at the next generation it shouldn't count because times have moved down. It's a flawed logic.
I agree with your premise. As a tennis achievements, Olympics aren't as important as Grand Slams. On that, we agree.

But what you need to understand is that the top players' ardent desire of winning the Olympics has nothing to do with tennis achievements. It could even be worth 0 ATP points and their desire would be the same.

People are making the mistake of looking at it from the "GOAT perspective", whatever that is. It is completely irrelevant if the Olympic tournament is more important in tennis terms than tournament x, y or z. That has no influence on the players' desire to win the gold medal.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios