Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams' - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #46
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal: 'Olympics more important than slams'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
pretty much irrelevant, worldwide speaking tennis is not even followed that strongly in contrast to larger sports like Cricket and football (soccer), so no matter what the tennis aspect of the Olympics will not be followed quite as closely as other sports.

just the fact that TENNIS is in the Olypmics is why it is so important. the prestige is automatic regardless of the history, and if anything BECAUSE tennis is so new into the Olympics makes it more valuable to win now- the winners will be the earliest winners of the tennis Olympics and set a huge tone for the future.

it's really ludicrous to say its not pretty much par with a Grand SLam, it's ONCE every 4 years and a huge majority of high ranked tennis players go out of their way to say how important it is to them to preform well at the SUMMER olympics this year, in some cases more important than the GS's
Funny you mention football and cricket when no one cares about winning the Olympics in those respective sports. And just because it's every 4 years doesn't mean it's any harder to win. This is why mugs like Massu won.

Maybe in time the Olympics will hold more importance but the fact that it's only 800 points shows you how much everyone cares.
'82 - '91: best decade in tennis
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #47
country flag reery

reery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond reputereery has a reputation beyond repute

Bs.
reery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #48
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Funny you mention football and cricket when no one cares about winning the Olympics in those respective sports. And just because it's every 4 years doesn't mean it's any harder to win. This is why mugs like Massu won.

Maybe in time the Olympics will hold more importance but the fact that it's only 800 points shows you how much everyone cares.
Ranking points have nothing to do with this. It could even give 0 ranking points, the prestige/honor of winning an Olympic Gold medal would still surpass anything else in sports.

The Olympics are an event apart. Wanting to win it has little to nothing to do with tennis career/greatness.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #49
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Olympics for tennis are not an important event achievement-wise. Sentimental value is not the same as an achievement in a sport. Same as Davis Cup. Argue all you want but it won't change how it is.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #50
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Olympics = 16 slams.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #51
country flag rob_z

rob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond repute

I personally like slams more than the olympics. Slams are best of 5 sets what makes them more epic/exciting to watch. Epic 5 set finals like Federer-Roddick at wimbledon 2009 or Djokovic-Nadal at AO 2012 are epic thrillers. Really exciting to watch. That is what makes tennis great.
The special thing about olympics is that it is an opportunity that you only get 2 or 3 time sduring your career. For slams you have 4 opportunities every year.
But still I like slams much more than the olympics.
And statistically the ATP also gives way more points for winning a slam than for olympic gold.
rob_z is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #52
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Olympics for tennis are not an important event achievement-wise. Sentimental value is not the same as an achievement in a sport. Same as Davis Cup. Argue all you want but it won't change how it is.
Who is this Mr. Tennis?

Come on, the value of an event is determined by the interest of the people. How many people watch the tennis final of Olympics and how many watch Australian Open final?

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #53

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
This is correct. The Olympic tournament doesn't have much tradition in tennis yet and you won't be induced on the Hall of Fame for your Olympic medals. In terms of tennis greatness, it means little.

But Olympics are far bigger than tennis. Winning the Olympic gold medal is a far greater achievement for a sportsman than winning any tennis tournament. People debating whether it's an important achievement for tennis greatness are completely missing the point.

Olympics are just much bigger than any single sport. If you don't believe me, believe Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Every sportsman worth his salt dreams of one day winning an Olympic gold medal. Even Messi cites it as his proudest achievement in his football career.

Discussing ranking points, importance for tennis greatness, etc... only shows people have no idea what the Olympic Games mean for a sportsman.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #54
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Agreed. Olympics = 16 slams.
That's not the equation proposed. Try it again and try harder.

God is killing me
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #55
country flag thehotstuff66

thehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond reputethehotstuff66 has a reputation beyond repute

i hate nadal i really do. i wish he would stop speaking but alas, olympic gold is special but i dont know why they couldnt be equal to the slams...i mean fed has olympic gold too...it's in doubles and it still represents his country...so gold is gold ....i think fed would probably say they are bout equal to a slam...

Nadal is a pissant and i just dont like the kid....such unsportmanlike conduct on the court that i cannot take him seriously off it.

cat
thehotstuff66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #56
country flag Kiedis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehotstuff66 View Post
i hate nadal i really do. i wish he would stop speaking but alas, olympic gold is special but i dont know why they couldnt be equal to the slams...i mean fed has olympic gold too...it's in doubles and it still represents his country...so gold is gold ....i think fed would probably say they are bout equal to a slam...

Nadal is a pissant and i just dont like the kid....such unsportmanlike conduct on the court that i cannot take him seriously off it.

cat
Thanks for sharing your feelings with us, but we really give a shit what you you like.

God is killing me
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #57
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Ranking points have nothing to do with this. It could even give 0 ranking points, the prestige/honor of winning an Olympic Gold medal would still surpass anything else in sports.

The Olympics are an event apart. Wanting to win it has little to nothing to do with tennis career/greatness.
What kind of person would derive more honor from winning a week long best out of 3 tournament than a grueling 2 week best of 5 tournament? Probably an idiot.
'82 - '91: best decade in tennis
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #58
country flag Kiedis

Quote:
What kind of person would derive more honor from winning a week long best out of 3 tournament than a grueling 2 week best of 5 tournament? Probably an idiot.
A gold medal in 100-metre dash is lame compared with winning the marathon following your reasoning and winning the champion league is a lesser achievement for a Belgian or Polish team that winning their national league

God is killing me
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #59

Quote:
Pretty much everyone.

It surprises me you're asking this question since you're a Djokovic fan and Djokovic was in tears after losing to Nadal in Beijing and still cites that as the worst/most disappointing moment of his career.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #60
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
But Olympics are far bigger than tennis. Winning the Olympic gold medal is a far greater achievement for a sportsman than winning any tennis tournament. People debating whether it's an important achievement for tennis greatness are completely missing the point.

Olympics are just much bigger than any single sport. If you don't believe me, believe Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Every sportsman worth his salt dreams of one day winning an Olympic gold medal. Even Messi cites it as his proudest achievement in his football career.

Discussing ranking points, importance for tennis greatness, etc... only shows people have no idea what the Olympic Games mean for a sportsman.
Look, I thought we were on a tennis forum so discussing the Olympics in a tennis context is correct, no matter how you twist and turn it. To give a more pertinent example let's look at the case of football. The gold medal there does not matter at all. You have some youngsters playing with 2 or 3 pensioners.

In tennis terms, the Olympics is not an important event. It's important in London because it's played at Wimbledon. This, again, just illustrates the fact that the history of the venue is important and not the occasion. And where does this history really come from? You guessed it right - Wimbledon being, arguably, the most special slam.

You also cannot compare the Olympics in tennis with other events as the Olympics are the MAJOR goal of many athletes in athletics. Really, you're comparing oranges with apples when talking about the Olympics as a whole. Every sport has a different Olympic tradition and tennis's is not great.

That's the last I'll try to convince you of this.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote