Joćo and Pedro Sousa - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
country flag Greco

Greco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond reputeGreco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joćo and Pedro Sousa

Awesome result ... congrats Joao

Touch me, touch me, don't be shy, I'll lay down face up this time, under you like a G.U.Y.

Croatian Tennis on facebook★
Greco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #32
country flag TNX1.0E6TOPCA
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

TNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond repute

29 Sept. 2013 - Kuala Lumpur Final def. Julien Benneteau 2-6, 7-5, 6-4

Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #33
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

TNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond repute

Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #34
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #35
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MALAYSIAN OPEN 2013

Sousa Beats Benneteau To Claim Maiden Title

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by ATP Staff | 29.09.2013

Sousa is the first Portuguese player to win an ATP World Tour title

World No. 77 Joao Sousa claimed his maiden ATP World Tour title on Sunday at the Malaysian Open, defeating fifth seed Julien Benneteau 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 in Kuala Lumpur.

The 24-year-old saved six of eight break points during the match which lasted two hours and 18 minutes. One of those was on match point, with Sousa serving at 30-40, trailing 2-6, 4-5.

"I just gave my best, it was a tough shot there, I just went for it and it went it... Tennis is like this, if you don't go for it, you'll never make it, so I just went for it," said Sousa. "We both played a great match... He had a lot of chances to win."

Sousa became the first player from Portugal to win an ATP World Tour final, going one step better than Frederico Gil who lost to Albert Montanes in Oeiras, Portugal in May 2010. He also became the seventh first-time winner on the ATP World Tour this season, with his win over France's Benneteau in the pair's first meeting.

"I'm so tired mentally and physically but I just feel amazing, it's just a dream come true, winning my first title here in Malaysia," said Sousa. "I'm really happy to win this title... I hope this helps [my] confidence and to try and do better things."

The Portuguese No. 1 said he has learned to fight, and to find solutions, having moved to Barcelona to pursue tennis without his parents when he was a kid. "I just learned to... go for my dreams," he said. "I'm very happy with this week."

Sousa produced the best win of his career by toppling top seed David Ferrer in the quarter-finals, before defeating fourth seed Jurgen Melzer in the semi-finals. The right-hander leapt to a career-high No. 77 in the Emirates ATP Rankings this week after reaching his first ATP World Tour semi-final in St. Petersburg last week (l. to Garcia-Lopez).

It was the first final of the year between two players battling to win their first ATP World Tour title. Sousa became the 12th unseeded winner this season, with the last being Ivo Karlovic, who won in Bogota in July.

The 31-year-old Benneteau's loss takes his record in ATP World Tour finals to 0-9.

"I tried everything today... I played very well, particularly I was very aggressive and I didn't let him play for two sets almost," said the Frenchman. "At 5-4, I had match point and I played the point perfectly... He made the passing shot down the line, with his forehand."

"I took my chance, it didn't pay off and it's hard, it's hard, it's very hard. But it's sport," said the disappointed Benneteau. "It's tough because I was leading the match, but this is tennis. You have to win some key points."

Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #36
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Other great news for Joćo Sousa that I've read today. He is supposed to sign a contract with a sports agent, Jorge Mendes, who is the greatest football agent in the world, taking care of the career of Cristiano Ronaldo, among others. If this is confirmed, Joćo will finally see some real money flowing in sponsorship, and can focus on the big tournaments, and his training, instead of always worrying about the cost of travelling, etc. Also good news for the sport in Portugal, because this means that Jorge Mendes is interested in tennis players, this means a lot more of visibility for the sport in advertisements, etc, so more youngsters to play it, hopefully more tournaments (Joćo Lagos is saying that he will implemente a CH circuit next year, before the Oeiras ATP Open, which is also good news).
Great news for Portuguse Tennis, great news for Joćo Sousa!
Gil&becker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #37
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil&becker View Post
Been doing some exact math, since I really see it coming, and this will be Portuguese Tennis history unfolding before us.
Joćo Sousa has it all to become Portuguese best player ever in terms of rank, in a short period of time, and maybe even a Top50. And doing it at the ATP level, which is the real thing.
He defends 40 points until the end of the season, but already secured half of it with today's win against Harrison. Then, he defends 57 in January, and 55 in March. Then, nothing really until Roland Garros.
So, to become Portuguese best ever in the ranks he needs this points, plus 160, to get to 58th or higher. To become first Portuguese Top50 ever, he needs those points plus 240.
Impossible? No. Difficult? Yes, particularly Top50. But he is playing so well and has risen in such a steadily manner, that I really see it coming, maybe somewhere between Aussie Open and RG.

This is all well behind us now, Joćo is now ranked 51 in te world, after the incredible victory in Kuala Lumpur. Next goal, solid Top45, so that he can get direct acceptance in the Clay Masters next year. He is an ATP player until Wimbledon, but it would be good to get to the end of March in Top45, to get directly into Madrid and Rome Masters. From where he stands now, he needs at least 200 points until the end of March, and that is more than achievable.
Am I dreaming too high if I dare to think that he can be seeded in Australia or Roland Garros? I think that he really can, if he keeps his confidence as high as it is right now.

For now, he decided to take two weeks rest, before returning to the circuit in Moscow or Vienna. Then, to finish-up the season, difficult draws but lots of points in Basel or Valencia500 and Paris Masters (playing qualies in these last two, if no WC awarded, which would be only fair).

Go Joćo!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #38
country flag Gil&becker

Won today against GGL in Valencia, already 65 points this week, and counting. Truly an important victory, since he los a few weeks against him, just scoring two games... Really solid top50 player now.

Last edited by Gil&becker : 10-22-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #39
country flag sfar

sfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond repute

He's provisionally 46th. Up up and away!!!

Tennis Tipping
Best rankings:
Singles: 132 (18/06/2012)
Doubles: 88 (06/08/2012)
sfar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #40
country flag Gil&becker

Just to update the math.

Joćo is now an ATP player at least until the end of Wimbledon, even if he would loose all matches.

On the upper-side, he has two goals now:

200 points until the end of March get him direct acceptance to the clay 1000 Masters Series of Rome and Madrid.

That, plus 250 points (so, in total, 450 points from next week in Paris till the end of those two clay Masters Series), would get him to be seeded in Roland Garros.

Go Joćo!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
country flag Ramsay

Ramsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond repute

He'll face Hanescu in Paris QR1. Not easy at all, but winnable right now. Vamos!

Tennis Tipping

Singles rank: 248
Best tournaments: QF Fut Vigo, 2nd round CH Tampere

Doubles rank: 187
Best tournaments: Semi-finals CH Tampere and CH Pozoblanco (w/volc0mizado), Title CH Beijing (w/lolada_4), 2nd round Roland Garros (w/ Mesut Ozil)
Ramsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #42
country flag Ramsay

Ramsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond repute

New career high for Joćo. 47 ATP this week.

Tennis Tipping

Singles rank: 248
Best tournaments: QF Fut Vigo, 2nd round CH Tampere

Doubles rank: 187
Best tournaments: Semi-finals CH Tampere and CH Pozoblanco (w/volc0mizado), Title CH Beijing (w/lolada_4), 2nd round Roland Garros (w/ Mesut Ozil)
Ramsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
country flag Gil&becker

It“s the end of the season for Joćo Sousa.
What an incredible second part of the year. After he got back from that stupid injury at the beggining of the Clay season, it was always up and rising!
I'm not sure that we can say that he is already the best Portuguese player ever, but these were surely the best five consecutive months of tennis from a Portuguese player ever. And from the USOpen onwards, it was Top30 material!!
Go Joćo! See you back in January (and he's just defending 12% of his points in the first half of the season, until the end of May, so great prospect for his rankings)!

Last edited by Gil&becker : 10-28-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #44
country flag Gil&becker

Joćo will start the season at a different dimension. Doha (lots of dollars to grab), Sidney and Aussie Open, just for a start. Let“s see how he comes from the off-season. Already training hard. Go Joćo!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #45
country flag Gil&becker

Joćo already signed a big sponsorship deal, result from his partnership with Jorge Mendes. So, he doesn't have to worry about money this year.

And he decided to go from Australia to Europe, to play European Indoor season in February, instead of going to South American Clay Swing. So, lots of confidence in his Hardcourt game... Let's hope he decided correctly!