Who is the greatest football player ever ? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which one ?

Pelé 10 15.15%
Diego Maradona 10 15.15%
Zinédine Zidane 5 7.58%
Johan Cruijff 1 1.52%
Lionel Messi 18 27.27%
Cristiano Ronaldo 5 7.58%
Ronaldo (Brazil) 5 7.58%
Ronaldinho 3 4.55%
Franz Beckenbauer 0 0%
Ferenc Puskas 0 0%
Lev Yashin 1 1.52%
Other 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
country flag Federer-Fan

Federer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who is the greatest football player ever ?

It's obviously difficult to compare eras, but on the other hand we can compare which player dominated the most his era and which player has the better individual/collective achievements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten
He will never win another title above 500 level
This comment was made right after Federer's loss to Tsonga in Toronto final. One week later, Federer won Cincinnati Masters, beating in the final Chris Kuerten's favorite player for the 16th time in 16 meetings.
Federer-Fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is the greatest football player ever ?

Messi is the best I've ever seen, but I'm not old enough to remember many.

Cruyff was the individual personification of possibly the most beautiful style of football the world has seen. So I voted for him.

I would have included Di Stefano in the poll over Ronaldinho.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
country flag Federer-Fan

Federer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond repute

From a pure football point of view, I'd say Messi is the best I've ever seen as well.

I can see arguments for Zidane in the GOAT debate though :
- the only all-time great to have achieved the greatest success possible on both club and national level
- the ultimate big-game player - he often stepped up when it mattered most (Champions League 1997 vs Ajax in SF ; World Cup 1998 vs Brazil in F ; Euro 2000 vs Spain in QF, Portugal in SF and Italy in F ; Champions League 2002 vs Barcelona in SF and Leverkusen in F ; World Cup 2006 vs Spain in R16, Portugal in SF, Italy in F and obviously Brazil in QF which is the best individual performance I've ever seen on a football pitch)

Quote:
This comment was made right after Federer's loss to Tsonga in Toronto final. One week later, Federer won Cincinnati Masters, beating in the final Chris Kuerten's favorite player for the 16th time in 16 meetings.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Tom Brady.
- Thierry on Jack Sock's forehand.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
country flag rocketassist

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty close between Messi and Maradona but the former probably takes it. Maradona won the World Cup, but Messi influenced probably the greatest club side of all time.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer-Fan View Post
From a pure football point of view, I'd say Messi is the best I've ever seen as well.

I can see arguments for Zidane in the GOAT debate though :
- the only all-time great to have achieved the greatest success possible on both club and national level
- the ultimate big-game player - he often stepped up when it mattered most (Champions League 1997 vs Ajax in SF ; World Cup 1998 vs Brazil in F ; Euro 2000 vs Spain in QF, Portugal in SF and Italy in F ; Champions League 2002 vs Barcelona in SF and Leverkusen in F ; World Cup 2006 vs Spain in R16, Portugal in SF, Italy in F and obviously Brazil in QF which is the best individual performance I've ever seen on a football pitch)
I preferred Ronaldo from his generation. Such physicality, such power. Zidane was mighty at Euro 2000, as was Ronaldo at the 2002 World Cup. Both were surrounded by brilliant teams though, which always has to be remembered, particularly when factoring in international success.

Somehow Zidane doesn't seem to have the same magic as Ronaldo/Messi for me. Wonderful footballer though, of that there is no question. Odd that he didn't win the Champions League with Juve when they were probably the best side in Europe for two or three seasons while he was there. Though they were obviously very close on a number of occasions.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
country flag Federer-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by underspin View Post
I preferred Ronaldo from his generation. Such physicality, such power. Zidane was mighty at Euro 2000, as was Ronaldo at the 2002 World Cup. Both were surrounded by brilliant teams though, which always has to be remembered, particularly when factoring in international success.

Somehow Zidane doesn't seem to have the same magic as Ronaldo/Messi for me. Wonderful footballer though, of that there is no question. Odd that he didn't win the Champions League with Juve when they were probably the best side in Europe for two or three seasons while he was there. Though they were obviously very close on a number of occasions.
The case of France's team under Zidane is interesting though - great in 1998, 2000 and 2006, average in 1996 and 2004 and awful in 2002. Guess what ? Zizou was injured in 2002, he missed the first two matches and wasn't even fully fit in the last one. In my opinion, it's pretty clear that we relied a lot on our best player.

Quote:
Old 03-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Greatest is very subjective, but the best player of all-time is Messi, easily.

Suicide Tennis - Wimbledon 2014
Fill-In-The-Draw - US Open 2014

Other titles:

Suicide Tennis - Madrid Masters 2015 and ATP250 Kuala Lumpur 2014; 2 finals lost (Wimbledon 2015, Dubai 2015)
Fill-In-The-Draw - ATP 500 Rotterdam 2013 and ATP 250 Geneva 2015
Tennis-Tipping - Vicenza CH 2014 and Todi CH 2014 (with vn01); 5 finals lost
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
country flag underspin

Quote:
The case of France's team under Zidane is interesting though - great in 1998, 2000 and 2006, average in 1996 and 2004 and awful in 2002. Guess what ? Zizou was injured in 2002, he missed the first two matches and wasn't even fully fit in the last one. In my opinion, it's pretty clear that we relied a lot on our best player.
Yes but whilst Zidane being missing was important, it doesn't necessarily mean it was the only factor. It was a bizarre tournament and in 1998 France had showed their ability to get through to the quarter finals after losing Zidane in the second match so it's not as though they were inevitably helpless without him.

I don't mean to use this as an argument against Zidane, but I think it's worth noting just how strange the 2002 World Cup was in terms of big teams crashing to shock defeats: Argentina, Portugal, Italy. Merely an illustration that not everything necessarily hinged on him being missing.

Nor is it unusual for the world champions to flop at the next tournament as recent years have shown (though I expect Germany will be fine in Russia). Lack of motivation is probably subconscious, but seemingly present, when a group of players remains the same.

And I'm not sure I'd characterise France as great in 2006, impressive in the knockout stages, but not great. This is more a semantic point though.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
country flag MichaelN

MichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelN has a reputation beyond repute

Boniek.
MichaelN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
country flag rocketassist

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
France 06 were a bit different from 1998-00 which had peak Desailly, peak Vieira, peak Thuram, Barthez before he turned into a clown. France 06 Zidane basically carried, along with a clown coach.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
country flag Police of Mind

Police of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Ali Dia.
Police of Mind is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:28 AM   #13
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Di Stefano, Best and Garrincha deserve a place in the poll far more than Cristiano Ronaldo.

Also, Buffon is the greatest GK ever over Yashin

ON Topic. Messi, Cruyff, Maradona, Pele and Di Stefano are the TOP 5 probably, each dominated their era and revolutionized the game, it's very subjective and depends on what you can consider as "best", but I go with Messi.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:06 AM   #14
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Most beautiful style : Recoba
Most talented : Recoba/Maradona/Ronaldo/Messi/Best
Best/Greatest : Maradona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvol View Post
If the fate of humanity depended on Wawrinka winning a tennis match I'd probably be neutral towards the outcome.

Last edited by Nole Rules : 03-30-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Nole Rules is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #15
country flag Johnny Groove
When You're On The Poster

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Pele. Come on now people let's be reasonable. He is the Michael Jordan

Mardona is Kobe. Messi is Lebron
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote