Football Zone - Page 288 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #4306
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football Zone

Arsene Wenger: our game is full of drug-fuelled 'legends' and needs to be cleaned up

Link to the original article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...leaned-up.html

Arsène Wenger has issued a stark wake-up call to the football authorities over the issues of doping and match-fixing, claiming that sport has become “full of legends who are in fact cheats”.

The Arsenal manager also revealed his belief that cheating has been widespread in football for decades and wants the anti-doping controls to include regular in-competition testing of the players’ blood as well as urine.

As manager of Monaco at the time of the Marseille scandal in 1993, Wenger has been among the victims of serious corruption in football but was still taken aback by the scale of the Europol match-fixing investigation which has identified 360 suspect games.

“It’s a real tsunami,” he said. “I can’t accept it and I always was a believer that there’s a lot of cheating going on in our game and that we are not strong enough with what happens, nor with the doping, nor with the corruption of the referees, nor with the match fixing. It’s time that we tackle this problem in a very serious way and that people who cheat are punished in a very severe way.

“You cannot accept that somebody who works the whole week decides to spend his money to go to a game and you cheat him because all is decided before he gets to the stand.”

Wenger has also closely followed the case of Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who is on trial over allegations that he doped cyclists. As well as cyclists, tennis players, athletes and boxers, Fuentes has confirmed that footballers were among his *clients. Iñaki Badiola, the former Real Sociedad president, has also alleged that the club made payments to Fuentes of about £280,000 a year before he became president.

Fuentes denies being involved in doping and Wenger is frustrated that the trial will not force him to reveal the identities of the people he treated. “They have found pockets of blood but they don’t even ask to whom does that belong,” Wenger said.

“They are not interested at all. The justice should go deeper. When you look at the functions of this doctor it is quite scary. He was involved in the Olympic team, football team and cycling team.”

Asked if football’s drug testing programme was sufficient, Wenger said: “Honestly, I don’t think we do enough. It is very difficult for me to believe that you have 740 players in the World Cup and you come out with zero problems. Look at psychological tests that have been done on people who are at the top in all sports.

"When they ask them if they would take a product that would guarantee them a gold medal or a world championship, but mean that they died in the next five years, 50 per cent say ‘yes’. If you go to amateur level and do that test, only two per cent say they would take it.

“That is quite scary. That is how far people are ready to go to win in all sports. We are at the level where people are ready to do anything to win.”

Wenger wants regular in-competition blood testing in football. “When you have a doping control at Uefa, they do not take blood, they take only urine. I have asked many times in Geneva [for that to be changed]. Sometimes you have to wait for two hours after the game, so blood could be a lot quicker. I hope we do not have a big problem with doping but we have to try to see how deep we can go into control.”

Uefa said yesterday that their existing doping controls may include blood, urine samples and any other biological material both in competition and out of competition. They also stressed that both blood and urine samples were collected at all doping controls prior to and during Euro 2012. Fifa are planning to have in-competition blood testing at this year’s Confederations Cup and next year’s World Cup.

Wenger said that he could not say whether English football was immune from a doping problem but his experiences do make him believe that match-fixing is not an issue in our national game. “It’s not a perfect world but I don’t think cheating or match-fixing is a problem,” he said. “I personally feel English football is clean of cheating 100%. I don’t think referees are corrupt”

Wenger was managing in France with Monaco during the 1992-93 season when Marseille bribed opposition players. The one proven case relates to a match against Valenciennes in 1993 when three players were offered bribes to “take their foot off the gas”, but there have been other anecdotal allegations – none proven – suggesting more widespread corruption.

“I knew what was going on, but people say ‘come on, show us the proof’,” Wenger said. “It’s very difficult to come out with that. I dis*covered it slowly. If you support or manage a club and you spend sleepless nights thinking, ‘how can I win the next game?’ but in the end you discover it’s useless because it’s all done. You feel it’s a waste of time.”

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #4307
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

More on doping in football:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...t-an-edge.html

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #4308
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

or how the wife of Ivan Klasnić called it: "taking the voltaren pills was like eating smarties."

favourites in other sports: Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille and Tiago Camilo

A link to positive and encouraging music: K-Love My blog in German
Mikey, you're missed
on a mission
Jelena is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #4309
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Vucinic

What a goal.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #4310
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Man City crumbling like a cheap tent

relentless pressure ManU have put on them starting to pay off

now Unt need to beat the Everton jinx as they cost them the title last season and already won this season
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #4311
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post
Good to see Italy have some options, I have a soft spot for them. BTW, as far as future world class footballers in the Dutch league are concerned: Viktor Fischer, remember that name. 18-year old Dane who plays at Ajax, will be among the best players of the world in 5 years, you can quote me on that.
Time as always will decide their fate, apart, of course, of their own dedication/decisions looking forward... i'm optimistic. Will definitely keep an eye on Fischer, haven't watch him play yet tbh but his stats so far speak pretty loud for him! Ajax surely has a good eye + a soft spot for young danish talent
Vinceremo is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #4312
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Vucinic

What a goal.
It was a great one! and Matri scored, so a big F' you to Marotta
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #4313
country flag Vinceremo

Milan couldn't win this time even after receiving their couple of weekly gifts (penalty not given to Cagliari, Ambro's blatant pull of Conti's shirt towards the end of 1stH and Niang not being sent off after kicking an opponent TWICE with the ball being 1 metre apart). Still they were the better team out there and, as expected, Cagliari went on full defensive mode for the 2nd half to preserve the small lead. at least Mario's penalty was legit now

an entertaining weekend in Serie A with a good amount of tifosi Viola proving, once again, how classless they can be mocking the Heysel massacre. shameful:

and that group wasn't the only one, hundreds of people outside and inside the stadium were wearing nº 39 jerseys. sad and the clear worst display possible at a football match, but NID to see Viviano's throwing of Pirlo's shirt to the ground get all the atention
Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #4314
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute

Nigeria lead 1-0 at half time against Burkina Faso courtesy of a sensational goal from Sunday Mba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #4315
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

12 points clear for the best club in the world

where are you now City ??? just make sure to polish that trophy before it comes back home in a few months.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #4316
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute

And Nigeria have won their 3rd Africa Cup of Nations. A deserved triumph as they were the best team for sure from the knockout state onward. Stephen Keshi was heavily criticised for the squad he selected prior to the tournament is vindicated and becomes second man to win tournament as both a player and coach.

Quote:
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #4317
country flag selyoink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
12 points clear for the best club in the world

where are you now City ??? just make sure to polish that trophy before it comes back home in a few months.
How do you feel about the Real Madrid game?

Quote:
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #4318
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
Not him, but I think there's more pressure on United cause RM are probably about the most suited team to go and counter-attack at Old Trafford, even with a narrow lead going there. United either need a lead or at worst a high scoring draw. This is the one fixture in the draw where playing away first is a bad thing.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #4319
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
for United to have any chance they need something in Madrid in first match this week, even like a 1-2 or 2-3 loss woldnt be bad

but if they lose and dont score a goal, its all but over for me coz i can see Ronaldo scoring at Old traff

Madrid have more to play for since they cant win anything else this season.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #4320
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Good analysis rocketassist

If Madrid win on Wednesday i think they will go through. But we are defending awful in games where the tactics isn't based on counter attacks like against Barca, anything but confident about this part.