London 2012: Chasing the Olympic Dreams - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default London 2012: Chasing the Olympic Dreams

A chance to represent the "Red White & Blue" on one of the biggest stages in the world!

Quote:
Qualification

Main article: Tennis at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Qualification

For the singles competitions, the top 56 in the world rankings on 11 June 2012 of the WTA and ATP tours will qualify for the Olympics. However, entry is limited to four players from a country, which means that players who qualify from countries with four higher-ranked players already participating will not participate, and players outside of the top 56 from countries with less than four players already participating will qualify. A player will only participate if she or he have made themselves available to be drafted to represent their country in Davis Cup or Fed Cup for two of the following years; 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 with one of the years being either 2011 or 2012. [5]Of the other eight wildcard slots, six of the slots will be determined by the ITF's Olympic Committee, taking into account ranking and spread of nations represented, while the final two slots will be awarded by the IOC to players from small nations. In the doubles competitions, twenty four teams will automatically qualify as per the rankings on 11 June 2012, subject to a maximum of two teams per nation. Players in the top ten of the doubles rankings can reserve a place, provided they have a partner to compete with. The remaining eight teams will be decided by the ITF's Olympic Committee. Entries for the mixed doubles will be confirmed at the Games.
Possible Candidates for Singles
John Isner, Mardy Fish, Andy Roddick, Ryan Harrison

Donald Young is not eligible b/c of DC requirement. Not sure if James Blake is eligible b/c his last DC match was in 2009 (and not sure if he made himself available to be drafted to play DC in the last 2 years).

Mardy Fish may skip the event:

Quote:
Mardy Fish says he’s unsure as to whether he will compete in the London Olympics this summer. A silver medalist at the 2004 Athens Games, Fish did not go to the 2008 Games in Beijing.

The top 56 players automatically qualify; currently ranked No. 8, Fish is pretty much a lock if he decides to play. The U.S. can only send four singles players to London. No. 10 John Isner, No. 34 Andy Roddick and No. 46 Donald Young would also qualify if the ranking cutoff deadline was today. It ends after Roland Garros.

No. 69 James Blake and No. 73 Ryan Harrison also have a shot to qualify. The top-ranked Bryan brothers will go in doubles, and No. 33-ranked doubles player Eric Butorac also has an outside shot to qualify if a couple of the U.S. singles players decide not to play doubles.

"I have a lot of great memories from the Olympics, and I have a lot of tough memories from the Olympics, as well," Fish told reporters. "I haven't decided yet. It sounds amazing. My memories from Athens I'll always have. So we'll see."

Fish said that the reason is primarily scheduling. "Staying closer to home, playing tournaments that I'm comfortable in,” he said. “I think it comes up against Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles I ride my bike to UCLA right now, so I'm pretty close there."—MC

Possible Candidates for Doubles

Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, Mix of Singles Players

Possible Candidates for Mixed Doubles

Don't really follow doubles closely, maybe someone can chime in on possible candidates and also see excerpt below:

John Isner eyes Serena Williams for Olympic mixed doubles

Quote:
Message to Serena Williams from John Isner: Keep an eye on your mailbox.

Isner, America's highest-ranked men's singles player, said he'd like to put himself in the sweepstakes to play mixed doubles with Williams at the London Olympics this summer.

He's not the only one.

Andy Roddick teamed with Williams at the Australian Open and the Bryan brothers are among the other top candidates who could team up with the two-time Olympic gold medalist.

''I may be the odd man out,'' Isner said on a conference call Tuesday to preview the London Games. ''But I'm pretty good friends with Serena. Might need to bribe her, maybe send a gift in the mail to get her to play with me.''

Mixed doubles has been added to this year's Olympic program and many players are considering adding doubles and mixed to their schedules, giving them two more ways of bringing home an Olympic medal.

Williams teamed with her sister, Venus, to win women's doubles at the 2000 and 2008 Olympics.

''Obviously, she's one of the most dominant players ever,'' said Isner, who is ranked ninth in the world. ''To have her on my team would be a big advantage.''

Earlier this year, Williams said she knew she'd have various options for this year's Olympics, where the tennis tournament will take place at Wimbledon.

''A girl loves to have choices,'' she said. ''Obviously the Bryans are like the world's best doubles players. Andy and I are super, super close. Personally I love John. You're not going to break the guy. It's an automatic I-don't-know-how-many games. I think it's so hard to choose. I don't know if you just throw everyone's name in a hat and figure out what happens next.

''Regardless, we want to do really well and take home a medal for the country. That's what it's all about.''
Wonder who Serena will choose. Many will be disappointed, maybe all will be disappointed since we don't know if she will really play mixed doubles. Good luck to everybody .

Who do you think will be representing the USA at the Olympics?

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates

Last edited by SapELee : 08-09-2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: title
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012: Chasing the Olympic Dreams

I really hope Ryan gets to play. That's why he needs to keep winning matches
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
I really hope Ryan gets to play. That's why he needs to keep winning matches
Me too.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Looks like Mardy has made up his mind.

Fish likely won't compete in Olympics

Quote:
Mardy Fish has been announced as an official entrant in the tournament in Washington D.C. that runs from July 28 to Aug. 5, which presumably means that he will not be competing in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. The Olympics will be held the same week. Fish, who won the silver medal at the 2004 Games in Athens, has said that he feels his results might be better off overall if he skips the Games—which will be held on grass at Wimbledon—and focuses on American hard court events leading up to the U.S. Open.

Fish's decision open the door for either of two young Americans—Donald Young and Ryan Harrison—to make the team. Nations are only allowed a maximum of four singles players, and as of the rankings of the week of April 24, Young and Harrison are the United States' fourth- and fifth-ranked players at Nos. 50 and 58. Both would make the cut if the selections were made today. No. 11 John Isner and No. 28 Andy Roddick would also make the cut.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Ryan will play if he get Top-56, no doubt. But if Mardy won't play it means The Don would be able... If he made any DC squad. And he didn't.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Is Bob Bryan the leading candidate?

Bob Bryan, Serena playing in French mixed

Quote:
Bob Bryan and Serena Williams are entered in the Roland Garros mixed doubles draw. After it was tweeted that Nadia Petrova, who is playing the mixed event with Daniel Nestor, had said that she and the Canadian are favored to win the tournament (she said so in a light-hearted way), Bob tweeted: "Can Serena and I be the second favored?"

It is unclear whether Serena and Bob Bryan will play the Olympic mixed doubles together.

Venus Williams has said that she would like to play Olympic doubles, but she is unsure whether she will be healthy enough to do so. She added that if she feels like she might be able to do it, her and Serena might decide to play Wimbledon doubles. The sisters, who won the doubles gold medal in 2008, have won 12 Grand Slam doubles titles together, but have not played together since 2010 Wimbledon due to illnesses and injuries.

Other American men have said they would like to play mixed doubles with Serena, including Mike Bryan, John Isner, and Andy Roddick. Serena has been noncommittal, saying she would play with any of them. When asked about it at Roland Garros, her childhood friend Roddick said: "I can't get a hold of her. If you see her, ask her for me."—Matt Cronin

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Fernandez and Berger will await the nomination process of their teams, which will kick off with the release of the post-French Open rankings June 11. The Olympic tournament runs July 28 through Aug. 5 and will be held at the All England Club, site of Wimbledon.

Both coaches will have to work with some health issues affecting their squads.

Fernandez likely will have Venus and Serena Williams, Christina McHale and Varvara Lepchenko, plus doubles players Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond on her team.

Berger likely will have Andy Roddick, John Isner and Donald Young, plus doubles-playing brothers Bob and Mike Bryan.

The teams will be finalized by the USTA and the International Tennis Federation, then submitted to the U.S. Olympic Committee for final nomination to the London Games in the coming weeks.

One question mark for Berger will be the availability of top-ranked American (No. 10) Mardy Fish, who is recovering from May 23 corrective heart surgery and has started practicing lightly.

Berger, a national coach for the USTA player development program, said he's not expecting to have Fish, but hopes to speak to him once the nomination process starts next week. Another element in flux is who will be the second doubles team.
Read more: http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/...s-tennis-teams

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Wait I thought Young wasn't eligible
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I had the same thought....no clue.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
The men's team is expected to include John Isner (10th in the ATP Tour rankings), Andy Roddick (32nd), and two first-time Olympians, Donald Young (48th) and Ryan Harrison (52nd). Mardy Fish, the silver medalist in 2004, is ranked 12th but has said he'll skip the Olympics.

In doubles, the U.S. team is expected to include third-ranked Bob and Mike Bryan and top-ranked Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond. The men and women will each have one other doubles team, with the contestants chosen from those competing in singles.

The United States also expects to field two teams in mixed doubles, an event returning to the Olympics after an 88-year absence. Those teams will be determined after competition in the other events begins.
Read more: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...-time-olympian

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Williamses, Lepchenko on U.S. Olympic team

Quote:
The USTA has named Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Christina McHale, and Varvara Lepchenko as its women's singles players for the 2012 London Olympics. The American doubles teams will be Liezel Huber/Lisa Raymond and the Williams sisters. On the men's side, the USTA named John Isner, Andy Roddick, Donald Young, and Ryan Harrison in singles, with doubles teams of Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, and Isner/Roddick. Both Serena and Lepchenko were granted special exemptions from the Olympic Committee, as Williams had not fulfilled her Fed Cup requirements and Lepchenko—a native of Uzbekistan who has lived in the U.S. for the past 10 years—just became an American citizen last fall.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Raymond, Mike Bryan want Olympic call

Quote:
Raymond, Mike Bryan want Olympic call

July 8, 2012

Americans Mike Bryan and Lisa Raymond win the Wimbledon mixed doubles title, their first title since the 2003 French Open. Raymond e-mailed Bryan to ask him to play before the Championships, with her eyes on an invitation to play with him at the London Olympics, which begin in three weeks.

"He has been playing hard to get for about eight years now," Raymond said. "It's funny. It was like a running joke. I would kid around with him at tournaments, 'Are you going to play with me?' Obviously other than the fact that I love playing with Mike, we had a great track record. We've won Slams before. For the obvious reason: To play mixed at the Olympics. Hopefully we're going to get picked. I think winning a Wimbledon title, I think it's kind of hopefully to the powers that be a no-brainer to put us in the tournament."

Liezel Huber has said she wants to team with Bob Bryan in the Olympics, while Serena Williams and Andy Roddick have also indicated they want to play. A nation can only have two mixed teams, so it may fall to U.S. Olympic captains Mary Joe Fernandez and Jay Berger to make the hard choice.

"We'll get all in the same room and discuss it," Mike said, "I think we put a good foot forward. I don't know if Serena wants to play three events, but Bob is going to want a piece of it. I know Andy does. I like our chances, right?"
Link

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

2012 Olympics: USA tennis team headed by Williams sisters, Bryan brothers, Andy Roddick

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Forbes: The Great Capitol Hill Olympic Debate - Go American Or Go Naked

Quote:
Nude Olympics? Definitely. That’s what one U.S. senator is saying he would rather have American athletes do than wear foreign-made uniforms.

All day yesterday, Republicans and Democrats whined about the U.S. Olympic Committee’s decision to dress the U.S. team in Chinese-made uniforms, saying the contract to manufacture the Ralph Lauren blazers, berets and pants should have gone to job-hungry Americans (we reported that earlier this week).
Read more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnclar...n-or-go-naked/

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Singles Maindraw

First Round

(1)Roger Federer (SUI) vs Alejandro Falla (COL)
Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
(Ip)Adrian Ungur (ROU) vs Gilles Muller (LUX)
Denis Istomin (UZB) vs (14)Fernando Verdasco (ESP)

(10)John Isner (USA) vs Olivier Rochus (BEL)
Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE) vs (Ip)Malek Jaziri (TUN)
Lukas Lacko (SVK) vs Ivo Karlovic (CRO)
David Nalbandian (ARG) vs (7)Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)

(4)David Ferrer (ESP) vs (Ip)Vasek Pospisil (CAN)
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs (Ip)Blaz Kavcic (SLO)
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs (15)Kei Nishikori (JPN)

(12)Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)
Lukasz Kubot (POL) vs Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
Andreas Seppi (ITA) vs Donald Young (USA)
Ivan Dodig (CRO) vs (8)Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)

(6)Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs Steve Darcis (BEL)
Santiago Giraldo (COL) vs Ryan Harrison (USA)
Alex Bogomolov Jr. (RUS) vs Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
Viktor Troicki (SRB) vs (11)Nicolas Almagro (ESP)

(16)Richard Gasquet (FRA) vs Robin Haase (NED)
Go Soeda (JPN) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
(Ip)Somdev Devvarman (IND) vs Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) vs (3)Andy Murray (GBR)

(5)Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) vs (Ip)Thomaz Bellucci (BRA)
Tatsuma Ito (JPN) vs Milos Raonic (CAN)
Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
David Goffin (BEL) vs (9)Juan Monaco (ARG)

(13)Marin Cilic (CRO) vs Jurgen Melzer (AUT)
(Ip)Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) vs (Ip)Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR)
Andy Roddick (USA) vs Martin Klizan (SVK)
Fabio Fognini (ITA) vs (2)Novak Djokovic (SRB)

http://www.stevegtennis.com/2012-atp-olympics/

Rhyne's Picture Thread