Prize money increases in French Open and Wimbledon 2012 - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #61
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prize money increases in French Open 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
A bunch of butthurt Fed fools who can't handle anyone making a criticism of Federer whether it's valid or not attack the guy saying stupid stuff like it doesn't matter what you think as you are a journeyman to Stakhovsky. Not actually addressing the particular issue.

For the record I don't agree with everything he has said, but at least he has done his research on the particular problems involved.

It's a case of my grandad is better than your grandad.
Stakhovsky's criticism was not only uniformed, stupid and INvalid, he actually implied Fed worked less than his peers to achieve what he did. That is completely false and even if it was not, Stak has no way to support this claim as very few people even know Fed's preparation methods. Those that do, and have talked about them a bit, know he works insane amounts to prepare.

It's kind of funny you try to play the mature view but at the same time are happy to consent with someone who slags off the other side's family because he can't argue properly. Most of Stak's points were stupid to say the least but I'd love to hear how he 'made his research'. I seriously have to laugh at 'unbiased' commentators who try to stay neutral when it's so obvious one side is in the wrong.

BTW, Djoko also agreed with Fed's approach by negotiating behind the scenes but Stak did not slag him off. Why? Jealousy. Don't agree? Then don't try to play your I-am-an-unbiased-commentator card but state it as your opinion.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #62
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty simple the fact there has been an increase in prizemoney going to the players, especially at the lower rounds is the most important thing here.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #63
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A bunch of butthurt Fed fools who can't handle anyone making a criticism of Federer whether it's valid or not attack the guy saying stupid stuff like it doesn't matter what you think as you are a journeyman to Stakhovsky. Not actually addressing the particular issue.

For the record I don't agree with everything he has said, but at least he has done his research on the particular problems involved.

the main problem about Stakhovsky's interview and the points about Federer/Nadal is that the interview was just published last week (and publicized this week) while he seems to speak about the situation in the players' council in january in Melbourne.

I don't know why it's like that : was the interview done a long time ago ?

It would have been good to publish that in january or february : in that time it would have been very useful for us to understand the situation (now you can also read in the article from "l'Equipe" that the players asking more money were especially Russian or Ukrainian : Stakhovsky, Tursunov and Youzhny were among the ones speaking more during the council, and after the council we heard about Bogomolov and Davydenko).

But at the moment now his critics at Federer come in a very strange way in the debate, even though most of the responsibility of that is the journalists'.

Besides, I have not much to say about what he said, I said it in the thread about this interview, if you just stuck at what he said and not the funny sides about "Federer/Nadal" you had the most important part : "I want money and if I can't get it by an increase of the prize money in slams, I prefer the 2-year ranking system to protect my ranking then to get money with my ranking longer".

That was purely opportunistic

but it was honest.

Now does Stakhovsky represent the "pure humble and average journeyman" ? is he the "clever man" I've read as a comment about him ? what I read didn't give me that impression, he was just Sergey Stakhovsky wanting more money, that's all, and not the "poorest guy" wanting money. It's OK as long as you don't make more from his interview than what's inside.

Last edited by duong : 04-14-2012 at 04:23 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #64
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Stakhovsky's criticism was not only uniformed, stupid and INvalid, he actually implied Fed worked less than his peers to achieve what he did. That is completely false and even if it was not, Stak has no way to support this claim as very few people even know Fed's preparation methods. Those that do, and have talked about them a bit, know he works insane amounts to prepare.
That bugs me too that because Federer is more talented and his game is more organic, as one way to put it - that people just assume that Nadal and co. just work so much harder than him. Many talented players have come and gone without achieving anything because they lack the discipline to make things happen.

I understand Stakhovsky's frustrations and Federer fans were indeed being disrespectful to him on Twitter (but lbr, disrespect to someone who dissed your favorite player is not exclusive to Federer tards, they're in every fanbase. just ask Lynn Barber) but when he retweeted that fan who went "at least Stakhovsky has a much hotter wife" - he was really out of line.

Anyway, Stakhovsky could be at least a little more grateful that there was an increase at all instead of just keeping on whining. It seems like he was expecting way too much and was bound to get disappointed anyway. Maybe if he wanted to earn more he should get his ass off Twitter, take a break from arguing with fans of other players or rating the hotness of someone else's wife compared to his and practice so we can win more matches and get farther than the 3rd round for once.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #65
country flag LisaKoh

LisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond reputeLisaKoh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice Winner View Post
Did Sergiy diss Mirka on Twitter?

Sonofa...
Yes, he did. He retweeted something about him having a hotter wife or something to that extent and seemed to derive all the pleasure from it that a high school jock would.

As I said earlier, Stakho did/does have some legitimate complaints but if someone is dissing my family or my spouse on the basis of a work dispute, that's completely uncalled for and a breach of ethics. Attacks below the belt tend to undermine the credibility of the person making those attacks and no, I am no being sanctimonious because I've learned this the hard way and I'm still learning it. Business is business, tantrums have no place in the boardroom.

Quote:

Despite you diagnosing me with hystrionics or exaggeritis, you are one of the few posters I actually respect on this board because you have the rare ability to hold two seemingly contradictory views simultaneously and know that they are not mutually exclusive. You can appreciate the nuances and subtleties that go into arguments and you are the posting equivalent of a tennis encyclopedia. But on this matter, I'm going to have to disrespectfully disagree on some points.

I agree with you on the matter of the legitimacy of points Stakho has said, what I don't particularly agree with is the way he responded to provocation by making personal attacks on Federer's family, or at least retweeting something insulting about the man's wife and how she looks. Those thing have nothing to do with his claims and they speak to the maturity (or lack thereof) of the person using them as rhetorical arguments. The beauty of one's wife relative to another's is chauvinistic, stupid and has no bearing on the topic at hand. He shouldn't have gone there and he needn't have.

Second, he made these provocative statements to the press so he should have had a thicker skin when it comes to dealing with the twitter backlash. A mature person knows that anything you say can and will be used against you, especially if that person is in the public eye. This is what your ATP assigned press officer tells you the first day when they send you off for your media training. Stakho's 26 and he's been on the tour for a while now, he should know better than to respond to these things because Internet searches live forever and one misstep can be brought back to haunt him the next time he has foot in mouth disease.

Now that the drama is done, 7% is good, we want more but the best way to get what you want in corporate politics is play by the rules, be patient to achieve your goals and don't badmouth the people you work with. Otherwise the drama becomes all about Stakho instead of the cause.

4 criteria of trolls:

1. Appearance of outward sincerity.
2. Posts designed to incite anger or "flames"
3. Posts designed to waste everybody's time with useless argument
4. Desperate desire for attention, any attention at all

Recognize them, don't engage and put 'em on your ignore list where they belong. Feed a troll and you're just encouraging their attention-seeking.
LisaKoh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #66
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

From Daniel Kaplan of sports business journal:

Here is part of Ivan Ljubicic's quote from my story on the Grand Slam prize money issue: “We feel like we are not getting the fair share from their revenues. The talent should be paid first, and then they should calculate the profit rather than paying everything else and then saying that we get what is left basically...honestly I can’t see why a professional tennis player coming from Argentina, for example, should care what [an] Australian junior is getting from Tennis Australia.”
https://twitter.com/#!/dkaplanSBJ
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #67
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

That is very true. I have always said so. Because the tradition of the game is with four nation, does this mean that they should hog all the funds?

Wimbledon has done nothing for the game in terms of harnessing talents as seen by the absence of any Slam winners recently. Even Murray's success was more due to him training in Spain as opposed to receiving support from the Lawn Tennis Association.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #68
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

Stakhovsky interview with the Times https://twitter.com/#!/AnfiStak/stat...892929/photo/1 part 1

https://twitter.com/#!/AnfiStak/stat...811072/photo/1 part 2
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #69
country flag guichard

Now it is Wimbledon that increases its prize money by 10%. First round losers will get 26% more

http://www.wimbledon.com/news/press-...12-prize-money
Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #70
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prize money increases in French Open and Wimbledon 2012

Good for Wimbledon, still not enough but a start at least.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #71
country flag guichard

Quote:
Good for Wimbledon, still not enough but a start at least.
Yup, I am not impressed. At the end of the day, they are only giving about $1 millions more to the players.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #72
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Yup, I am not impressed. At the end of the day, they are only giving about $1 millions more to the players.
It's the same for all these Slams. They are rolling in the cash not like the LTA for all the money they have produced anything like a decent player.

As I said to Johnny Groove, the ATP really need to fix their lower levels.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #73
country flag guichard

Yeah they should definitely give more money. $3000 more is laughable
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #74
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Stakhovsky is full of shit.

You don't need fitness coaches and physiotherapists and coach and all that shit. And you certainly don't need to spend $400,000 a year on them. Tsonga has no coach. Federer at his peak had no coach. Stakhovsky needs to take some finance classes or something. Learn to do all your physical and fitness on your own, what do you need some mug to tell you to eat carbs before and protein after a match? Why do you need some mug telling you to bend the knees and get up into the ball with the right timing? A real player knows this by himself. Fire all the unnecessary coaches and see how your finances improve, Stak.

I agree that first round loser money needs to increase. More pressing is the increase in challenger and futures prize money.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #75
country flag Lurking

Lurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond reputeLurking has a reputation beyond repute

http://web.archive.org/web/200511242...ts_prices.html

http://www.wimbledon.com/championships/tickets/prices

2006/2012

First Monday: 34/44 : 4.3% yoy
Second Monday: 59/82 : 5.5% yoy
Final : 83/120 : 6.1% yoy

1R 9,830/14,500 : 6.5% yoy
W 655,000/1,100,150 : 8.6% yoy
Lurking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote