Study: Homophobia is linked to gay desires. - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #46
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study: Homophobia is linked to gay desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Tolerance is accepting that real thing as OK, as long as you don't have to be confronted with that real thing.
Well, can you really accept something if you are not confronted in the first place? People can speak (for example) whether they would be ok or no if their kids were gay, but if they don't have any kids in the first place, that's just what-if/speaking in theory.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #47
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point, and you're right. In a way, that's sort of the test, when confronted with anything that may be "different" than one expects. Someones' head may tell them one thing, but their instincts will tell them something else.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #48
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

This is how I imagine Filo V when posting on this forum.

verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #49
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

He has no job, posting is his only activity of the day.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #50
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

what's wrong with that

MTF is my life
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #51
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

I actually am doing school.........the past few days I haven't been on here the entire day. That's my job. Ignore the French bitch with attitude problems.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #52
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
*long post*
Fair points I must say even and I do agree with most in principle.

Just to throw out a story from my experience: At my university that had like 20000-25000 students and around 5000 employees. It's safe to say there must have been 1000-2000 homosexuals at least, probably even more (saw some statistics that said 5-10%). I probably only encountered a few hundred students and in my years on a more personal basis and I can only recall one gay guy being severly trashtalked. I read 2 courses over the years with that guy in the same class (since I was in an entirely different program) but all I can say is that guy was so incredibly annoying that almost everyone disliked him.

He was a so called fem gay and I don't think people had much problem with that but he was a very special case. Often disrupted class with very odd questions, also showed up late almost every time. Appreantly didn't give a crap about group work or his grades either. Dressed very odd, equvialent with a female student coming in some stuff she would use at a bad fashion show. (Yes it's his business but he clearly did it to get reactions and he seemed to thrive on those reactions, even negative ones)

I can imagine that if you never had any other encounters with gay people and then ran into that guy you would get a very strong prejudice against homosexuals.

Just like you say most gays aren't even noticed. I mean just from statistics there must have been a huge amount among all the students you met in classes or at parties but I only knew about a handfull confirmed ones. Even if I encounter someone speaking with a bit of a femine voice or walks odd I can't know for sure that is a fem gay. The non-fem ones are almost impossible. Maybe you could make an assumptions but unless they outright tell you or you spot them with making out with a same-sex partner then you don't know for sure.

But yeah my main point is that I think that a lot of homophobia could be spawned by those very extreme cases and then you think every gay is like that. It's just like islamic extremists spawning islamophobia the same way.

I don't think there is a simple solution to that. The best is probably that all "normal gays" would also be completely open with being gay. I mean if everyone at the university knew about more gay people including having gay friends then they'd know they were just normal people and encounters with that very strange oddball wouldn't lead to much prejudice and outright homophobia.

I personally think bad experiences with "extreme cases" is a more common reason for homophobia among straight people than secret gay desires. Ofc there is likely 100 reasons but I think bad personal experiences, especially early in life (like in school) is a huge reason.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #53
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #54
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Fair points I must say even and I do agree with most in principle.

Just to throw out a story from my experience: At my university that had like 20000-25000 students and around 5000 employees. It's safe to say there must have been 1000-2000 homosexuals at least, probably even more (saw some statistics that said 5-10%). I probably only encountered a few hundred students and in my years on a more personal basis and I can only recall one gay guy being severly trashtalked. I read 2 courses over the years with that guy in the same class (since I was in an entirely different program) but all I can say is that guy was so incredibly annoying that almost everyone disliked him.

He was a so called fem gay and I don't think people had much problem with that but he was a very special case. Often disrupted class with very odd questions, also showed up late almost every time. Appreantly didn't give a crap about group work or his grades either. Dressed very odd, equvialent with a female student coming in some stuff she would use at a bad fashion show. (Yes it's his business but he clearly did it to get reactions and he seemed to thrive on those reactions, even negative ones)

I can imagine that if you never had any other encounters with gay people and then ran into that guy you would get a very strong prejudice against homosexuals.
I get what you're saying here. Of course, us gays have some obnoxious, annoying queens within our ranks that are simply unlikable characters, based on their personality. But that's what needs to be understood. This individual has a character flaw. Sexual orientation being gay or straight, some people are simply annoying, abrasive individuals. That has to be separated from judging that individual on their sexuality, which often, is not done.

I don't really buy the lack of awareness excuse. All studies have shown awareness to gay people leads to an increase in comfort and acceptance regarding the issue, which is understandable, you get to know someone/something better, you let your guard down and insecurities wane. But common sense should dictate that one realizes it's wrong to be discriminatory towards an entire group of people for who they are. I didn't need to be told this nor did I need exposure towards every single group in the world to know it's wrong to discriminate. If you're raised a certain way, I can understand that, being brainwashed. But in that case, it's up to individuals to be strong, think on their own, and start opening up and coming to grips with the world around them. I just have a very low tolerance for ignorance. It's not justifiable in any sense.

Quote:
Just like you say most gays aren't even noticed. I mean just from statistics there must have been a huge amount among all the students you met in classes or at parties but I only knew about a handfull confirmed ones. Even if I encounter someone speaking with a bit of a femine voice or walks odd I can't know for sure that is a fem gay. The non-fem ones are almost impossible. Maybe you could make an assumptions but unless they outright tell you or you spot them with making out with a same-sex partner then you don't know for sure.
That's a great point. That ultimately, outside of a small percentage on both sides of the fence, gay and straight men (and straight and lesbian women) do the same things, behave in the same ways, and really, there aren't any differences in lifestyle outside of sexual orientation. But if you know the signs, there are subtle differences. Subtle traits that make a guy ping. Like, what some people consider the most masculine gay man who has ever come out, Gareth Thomas, a former rugby player, I knew he was gay as soon as I saw him. If you hang around gay and straight men separately enough times, you can "feel" whether someone is gay or straight.

With all that said, those differences are slight. It's not as if gay people are aliens. And we're all different to some degree. Difference is what makes the world interesting. We should embrace each others' differences and encourage people to be individualistic.

Quote:
I don't think there is a simple solution to that. The best is probably that all "normal gays" would also be completely open with being gay. I mean if everyone at the university knew about more gay people including having gay friends then they'd know they were just normal people and encounters with that very strange oddball wouldn't lead to much prejudice and outright homophobia.
Well, that person you call a strange oddball, for others, may just be an eccentric person. Eccentric behavior isn't always bad. Being normal isn't all it's cracked up to be. And again, this is all about personality. What needs to be done is to separate sexuality from personality when it comes to judging a persons' character.

It was fem gays and drag queens that pretty much were on the forefront of the gay rights movement. And still are, because they are the ones who take most of the lumps, including from other gays, because they don't conform. THAT is the problem. Conformity is weakness. Individuality is what needs to be promoted.

Quote:
I personally think bad experiences with "extreme cases" is a more common reason for homophobia among straight people than secret gay desires. Ofc there is likely 100 reasons but I think bad personal experiences, especially early in life (like in school) is a huge reason.
Maybe for some, but overall, no. Because, we can ask ourselves questions such as, do men hate women because of personal experiences? Some do, sure. Many men make jokes about women. But most men aren't going out of their way to avoid and denigrate, attack all women, and their livelihoods. There is a MAJOR difference between dislike and hate. You can dislike someone/something based on bad experience. Pathological hatred, which is what homophobia is, signals deeper mental and emotional reasons than just bad experiences. Especially since, really, by the time you turn about 16, you should be exposed to most things and if you still hold these biased positions, then you're doing that by choice. That's stubbornness.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #55
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Filo V, at least you've stopped with the homoerotic avatar evangelism. That kind of aggressive in-your-face idiocy, along with gay pride "parades" are why the gay community experiences so much hostility. I would recommend the time tested and universal in-the-closet approach. Good luck with that!
is there nothing?  Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal
certainly win Roger? Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)
Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.

Click for Jacko & Bubble-Rod => http://postimg.org/image/tvdauba7z/
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #56
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Filo V, at least you've stopped with the homoerotic avatar evangelism. That kind of aggressive in-your-face idiocy, along with gay pride "parades" are why the gay community experiences so much hostility. I would recommend the time tested and universal in-the-closet approach. Good luck with that!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #57
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

The time-tested in the closet approach will work the second straight people closet their heterosexuality.

I love it when homophobes blame gay people for why they're homophobic and then pretend to speak for all heterosexuals. I know, especially on this forum, there are more heterosexuals who recognize what I say is true, then agree with a homophobe.

Having hostility towards someone due to their sexual orientation is literally insanity. Homophobes should really ask themselves why they are so concerned with something so trivial, and ask themselves why they feel the need to continue to castigate gay folk as evil to justify their bigotry.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #58
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

"The time-tested in the closet approach will work the second straight people closet their heterosexuality."

No, the natural order of nature and the universe precludes that from happening.

"I love it when homophobes blame gay people for why they're homophobic and then pretend to speak for all heterosexuals."

We make judgments all the time for what are acceptable societal norms, even you.

"I know, especially on this forum, there are more heterosexuals who recognize what I say is true, then agree with a homophobe."

Lets call them the silent majority then who are in your favour!

"Having hostility towards someone due to their sexual orientation is literally insanity."

Perhaps it is. I don't mind what you do behind closed doors with Bruce. It's the fact that you make me watch your wanton buggery in every public venue which causes me to despise you.

"Homophobes should really ask themselves why they are so concerned with something so trivial, and [u]ask themselves why they feel the need to continue to castigate gay folk as evil to justify their bigotry."

There is no need to castigate gay folk as long as they keep their gerbil inspired escapades behind closed doors.

"We all know how the sayings go when it comes to male musicians. You haven't really made it big time until you get a cock in your mouth."

Who talks like this except a wanton deviant?

I wish you well, and I wish you healing.
is there nothing?  Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal
certainly win Roger? Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)
Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.

Click for Jacko & Bubble-Rod => http://postimg.org/image/tvdauba7z/
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread