Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year" - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #91
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year"

The attitude is right, but it's time to put your money where your mouth is. He's turning 25 in a month, so if he doesn't do anything this year, the time for breakthrough will be running out.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #92
country flag jonas

jonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond reputejonas has a reputation beyond repute

Nice attitude. His problem is that there's three players in front of him that's too good. Thus far at least.
He's 2-10 against the top 3 in slams. And needs to turn that around.
I think Andy will win a slam in his career. But that doesn't mean he'll reach number one - or even top 2 - in the rankings.

Ani DiFranco
jonas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #93
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK 201 View Post
Er..........

Not sure if you're trolling or being serious, or whether you're ignorant or plain stupid. You don't need a Federer forehand to win slams (all be it, it does help), as long as you have a balanced game, great movement and great defense, you can do a lot of things in this era.

Besides, Murray is capable of playing aggressive. When he does, he's capable of beating anyone.

Djokovic doesn't exactly have a great forehand. Pretty sure he's been doing just fine on the tour in the last year and a bit.

Lol. Idiot???

Hewitt's limitations? The guy had an all-rounded game, no weaknesses (all be it not a huge shotmaker), but his balanced game, along with arguably the greatest mover the game has seen, coupled with his abilty to take the ball early on the rise and play aggressive on big points won him slams.

Where Murray fails in slam finals is that he's too defensive. He is stuck playing the wrong game, like the other Andy; It has nothing to do with technical ability.
so much fail in this post. first of all if you look at the last 4 slam winners you absolutely need a killer forehand to win a slamin this era (you are a clown if you think djoker has no 'great' forehand). hewitt so called all rounded game got exposed the moment federer got into the game. mugs from his era just won't cut it today.
ossie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #94
country flag fsoica

fsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond repute

to me it sound almost like blake would be bragging about the way he will still be able to play another WTF finals...and blake has a killer forehand

ROGER FEDERER: No, Roger Federer doesn't pull out. Otherwise he doesn't walk on court (smiling).

After losing to Nalbandian in 2005 TMC final...
fsoica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #95
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Realistically if Murray does play really, really well, then he could perhaps win Olympics, SF Wimbledon, F Toronto, win Cincinnati, F USO, F Paris, win Tokyo, F Shanghai and maybe a F at the WTF. Add on to this a QF at the French, SF at Rome, Monte Carlo, F at Barcelona and QF at Madrid along with winning his 250 events gives him.....
+360+1200+750+720 (Olympics+Grand Slam)
+1000+600+600+600+360+360+180+800 (Masters+WTF)
+500+300+250+250 (500's+250's)

thats not out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #96
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
Realistically if Murray does play really, really well, then he could perhaps win Olympics, SF Wimbledon, F Toronto, win Cincinnati, F USO, F Paris, win Tokyo, F Shanghai and maybe a F at the WTF. Add on to this a QF at the French, SF at Rome, Monte Carlo, F at Barcelona and QF at Madrid along with winning his 250 events gives him.....
+360+1200+750+720 (Olympics+Grand Slam)
+1000+600+600+600+360+360+180+800 (Masters+WTF)
+500+300+250+250 (500's+250's)

thats not out of the question.
the problem is that murray not winning slams means either rafa or the djoker are winning them which makes it pretty much useless to speculate about the rest of murrays season.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #97
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossie View Post
the problem is that murray not winning slams means either rafa or the djoker are winning them which makes it pretty much useless to speculate about the rest of murrays season.
unfortunately this is true. I think this year he should simply aim for #3 which will be tough with Rodger playing so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #98
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
No. Nole finished over 4 thousand points ahead of Nadal. Way more than he needed. And Nadal had an exceptionally good year -at least his third best on tour.

Murray would have to win a slam to get to #1, that's unsurprising. Most likely he'd have to win at least 2- but he wouldn't have to win 3 slams and 5 masters. Especially if Nole, Nadal and Fed split the remaining tourney's.

Note, I'm not saying he will or it's likely, but he doesn't have to recreate Nole's season to do it.
Murray is 4640 points behind Nole and he also has to defend quite a bit between now and Wimbledon...how is he going to get to no.1 with one slam? He's defending semis of all slams, so it's not like winning a slam will give him 2000 points. Anyway, first thing's first: he needs to win a slam to even be in contention for no.1 spot.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!

Last edited by zcess81 : 04-10-2012 at 11:05 AM.
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #99
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

andy working hard to avoid the fate of tim henman.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #100
country flag ossie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
andy working hard to avoid the fate of tim henman.
sad really considering the fact he is a much better player.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #101
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
sad really considering the fact he is a much better player.
probably. but henman was really really good. I liked him quite a bit cause he seemed... ethereal?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #102
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcess81 View Post
That won't be enough, he'll have to start owning Fed, Nole AND Rafa since to win a slam he'll most likely have to face 2/3. If Murray wants to be number 1 he'll have to be better than everyone in the world, which means owning Fed, Nole and Rafa, and there lies the problem. It's not just one great player that stands between him and no.1/slam titles but three great players. Chances of all three of them being out of form in slams are close to zero, so Murray will REALLY have to earn his slam/no.1 spot.
Exactly my thoughts. The problem with Murray is that he has to overcome the 3 toughest rivals ever to get there and I don't have any doubt that neither of them will go away. I think it's more plausible that Federer overtakes Nadal in the rankings than Murray overtakes any of them. And in the event that Murray pulled his best season ever and won a couple of slams, he would need to win everything else just to stay there. Obviously they all could spend some weeks at number 1, but end the year as no1? I don't think so.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #103
country flag ossie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
probably. but henman was really really good. I liked him quite a bit cause he seemed... ethereal?
are you trolling me right now?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #104
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
are you trolling me right now?
I would hope he isn't but he's spot on in this case- Henman was class.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #105
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
so much fail in this post. first of all if you look at the last 4 slam winners you absolutely need a killer forehand to win a slamin this era (you are a clown if you think djoker has no 'great' forehand). hewitt so called all rounded game got exposed the moment federer got into the game. mugs from his era just won't cut it today.
You've earlier claimed that this era is the greatest ever. Yet now you indicate that there are only 4 players today (top 3 + delpo) who can compete and the rest are useless... just so you know, the conclusion a normal person would draw from this is that this era is shit.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote