Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year" - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #76
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year"

Hmm.. he's just trying to fake cockiness. I know every top player wants to be the best but it wasn't in Andy Murray's nature to just blurt that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #77
country flag Roddickominator

Roddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond repute

Go big or go home. It's the right way to look at things....if he isn't going into every tournament really believing that he is the best player there and that he'll win, then really he shouldn't even show up.

Winning 2 of those Slams would give him a really good shot at #1. The points are just huge. I don't think he'll do it(Roddick will win the rest of the Slams) and I see him finishing #3 at best, but you never know.
Roddickominator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #78
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Miami final kind of showed what we already all know and what Murray must know in the back of his mind- that he just doesn't have that extra gear and that he gets tight and don't play freely and at his best in big moments. Djokovic was not superb in that final and Murray was very lackluster.

He is being unrealistic because I am not entirely sure Murray will even be able to back up his slam results from last year. He has improved mentally but against the best in the big moments he doesn't really usually have it. too up and down of a player to take the #1 except for maybe a fluke short period of time.

he could surprise us but Miami was the same old same old, Murray acts like he is changing and improving but shows us that he is the same

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #79
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Murray has something new up his sleeves. A new game plan to take down the top 3.

Would be cool if he was to adopt the Nalbandian game. You know, a fitter, faster and taller version of Nalbandian would be quite a handful, even for the top 3.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #80
country flag yesh222

yesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond reputeyesh222 has a reputation beyond repute

It shows the right attitude at least. And his logic makes sense. If people can legitimately talk about Federer doing it, why not him?
yesh222 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #81
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesh222 View Post
It shows the right attitude at least. And his logic makes sense. If people can legitimately talk about Federer doing it, why not him?
Maybe because Federer is one of the greatest players of all-time and many even consider him the greatest?

Even approaching 31, he's better than any player in the world at the moment bar Djokovic and Nadal and he's been in great form in the past few months, so it's normal that people fancy his chance more than Murray, who never did anything to suggest he can be no.1.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #82
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

If Murray isn't thinking this way he should retire. He can't be satisfied with where he was last year.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #83
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcess81 View Post
To end the year as no.1, Murray will have to do what Nole did in 2011, which is pretty much win everything. What Nole did last year does not happen every year, that's for sure.
No. Nole finished over 4 thousand points ahead of Nadal. Way more than he needed. And Nadal had an exceptionally good year -at least his third best on tour.

Murray would have to win a slam to get to #1, that's unsurprising. Most likely he'd have to win at least 2- but he wouldn't have to win 3 slams and 5 masters. Especially if Nole, Nadal and Fed split the remaining tourney's.

Note, I'm not saying he will or it's likely, but he doesn't have to recreate Nole's season to do it.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #84
country flag MuzzahLovah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Hmm.. he's just trying to fake cockiness. I know every top player wants to be the best but it wasn't in Andy Murray's nature to just blurt that out.
No- he gets asked, "What are your goals?" "Do you believe you can still be #1 this year" almost every press conference. He's not the type to blurt it out, but he gets asked this shit all the time, so what is he going to say? "I know it's only early April, but I've given up improving already!"

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #85
country flag MuzzahLovah

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
Maybe Murray has something new up his sleeves. A new game plan to take down the top 3.

Would be cool if he was to adopt the Nalbandian game. You know, a fitter, faster and taller version of Nalbandian would be quite a handful, even for the top 3.
At his best, like in Tokyo, he can and he'd have to play that Nalbandian/Davydenko style against Nadal, and then he can really cream the guy, but he's not in that form really often. Usually he starts spraying and gets frustrated.

Against Nole and to a lesser extent Fed, it's a different story- his normal, patient, variety and defensive skill actually trouble them without much tweaking. He has to believe in himself in the big matches- that's the most important thing.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #86
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Murray is maturing as a player. Again, this is a great attitude. I'm still laughing when I saw that show '60 minutes' with little Novak being only 7 yo and saying "I want to be #1 one day" (little cocky Djoko, loved it). Murray, being #4 is not that far away ... lol. Murray does understand that he simply has to keep working and BELIEVING that anything is possible :-).
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #87
country flag MuzzahLovah

Murray just need to play like this more often, and then it will happen

Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #88
country flag Asadinator

Asadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond repute

Asadinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #89
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

murray lacks a consistent killer instinct in the slams...I think it's too early to evalute his work with Lendl but we should know by mid-clay season the level of progress...
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #90
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

is that lendl talking or andy talking?

its the right attitude if it is andy talking.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote