Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year" - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #181
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
I'd love for Murray to win a slam and he will. I'm positive about it, i have no doubt. But he will never achieve the status of the other 3.
So what? For him winning one slam is enough to be an icon. He will be knighted and never be forgotten in British tennis - that's all he needs, one slam.

And to be honest things turned around for Novak - they could for Murray too. It's not inconceivable that he could win US Open 12 and 13 and Aus Open 13. Suddenly he's on 3 slams, has lots of Masters, has great matches against 3 all time greats and will be a player who's among the very best himself.

As for status - Djokovic doesn't have the status of Federer and Murray doesn't have the status of Djokovic - they're all ranked differently in a historical sense. But things can change and the gap can narrow. They have time yet - I'm sure Murray will win one at some point. He needs that extra little bit of luck he hasn't had so far...
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #182
country flag Fireballer

Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
So what? For him winning one slam is enough to be an icon. He will be knighted and never be forgotten in British tennis - that's all he needs, one slam.

And to be honest things turned around for Novak - they could for Murray too. It's not inconceivable that he could win US Open 12 and 13 and Aus Open 13. Suddenly he's on 3 slams, has lots of Masters, has great matches against 3 all time greats and will be a player who's among the very best himself.

As for status - Djokovic doesn't have the status of Federer and Murray doesn't have the status of Djokovic - they're all ranked differently in a historical sense. But things can change and the gap can narrow. They have time yet - I'm sure Murray will win one at some point. He needs that extra little bit of luck he hasn't had so far...
Nobody has the status of Federer so what's your point?Anyway Murray is not good enough luck is irrelevant.And you expect Djoker,Rafa and Fed to retire after Wimbledon so that Murray can win those Slams?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #183
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

On which dimension Andy?
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #184
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballer View Post
Nobody has the status of Federer so what's your point?Anyway Murray is not good enough luck is irrelevant.And you expect Djoker,Rafa and Fed to retire after Wimbledon so that Murray can win those Slams?
No - but I have a bit more perspective than you do clearly about tennis. I didn't say Andy was favoured to win those - I said it wasn't inconceivable. He's good on hard courts and been to the final of both those tournaments. No one would have said in 2010 that Novak would win 3 slams in 2011. Same is true about Murray. You see a massive talent gap between Murray and Djokovic - I don't - at that level all the guys have the shots and a little bit of belief can take you a long way.

Of course Djokovic, Nadal etc. are favoured but your statements that Murray has zero chance to win are not based in reality IMO.

Sick of MTF not recognising Murray's achievements just because they're not as good as the top 3 - pretty much all the players in the last 15 years don't have achievements like the top 3 - doesn't mean they were all mugs! I didn't used to be a big Murray fan but all this hating on the guy really makes me wish he wins one soon just to see so many posters eat humble pie.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #185
country flag Fireballer

Fireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond reputeFireballer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No - but I have a bit more perspective than you do clearly about tennis. I didn't say Andy was favoured to win those - I said it wasn't inconceivable. He's good on hard courts and been to the final of both those tournaments. No one would have said in 2010 that Novak would win 3 slams in 2011. Same is true about Murray. You see a massive talent gap between Murray and Djokovic - I don't - at that level all the guys have the shots and a little bit of belief can take you a long way.

Of course Djokovic, Nadal etc. are favoured but your statements that Murray has zero chance to win are not based in reality IMO.

Sick of MTF not recognising Murray's achievements just because they're not as good as the top 3 - pretty much all the players in the last 15 years don't have achievements like the top 3 - doesn't mean they were all mugs! I didn't used to be a big Murray fan but all this hating on the guy really makes me wish he wins one soon just to see so many posters eat humble pie.
Not at all just Djoker is a better player by some margin.Also talent is irrelevant when you are 24.You are either a formed player or you're not.Murray is not.Yes it is inconceivable to me that Murray might win 3 Slams in his life.Safin couldn't do it why should Murray in a much tougher era to win a Slam.If he wins it I will be happy for him I dont hate the guy but facts are facts
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #186
country flag Ash86

Quote:
Not at all just Djoker is a better player by some margin.Also talent is irrelevant when you are 24.You are either a formed player or you're not.Murray is not.Yes it is inconceivable to me that Murray might win 3 Slams in his life.Safin couldn't do it why should Murray in a much tougher era to win a Slam.If he wins it I will be happy for him I dont hate the guy but facts are facts
Fair enough. I too think 3 might be unlikely given the competition but I'm just saying stranger things have happened. You're saying he won't even win one. I think everywhere other than RG he has a legitimate shot. Fed won't be a factor in a year or so - that leaves Nadal and Novak - beating both is a big ask - but what if one is upset early so he only has to beat one? Is it beyond him to get 3 sets off Novak or Rafa - he went 5 in Melbourne vs Novak, he went 4 at Wimbledon vs Nadal (and beat him in 2010 and 2008 in slams) - he has the best chance outside the top 3 and at some point someone else will have to win a slam!

And of course Novak is a better player - he's offensive when he has to be and seizes the moment - Murray's biggest weakness is being passive on big points. Novak is mentally tougher and channels his anger on court in the right way. But the best player doesn't always win the match - he won't be the best this year and frankly I can't see Murray getting to no.1 at any point, unless Novak and Rafa get injured - but he can certainly win a slam. [Additionally I'm not against Novak - I think he's a great player and working his way up to Becker, Connors, McEnroe level at a great speed - just think he's not been at 2011 level so far this year. Makes for a close and exciting race though so it's fun - he's back at human level so the rest have a chance. ]
Old 05-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #187
country flag Fireballer

Quote:
Fair enough. I too think 3 might be unlikely given the competition but I'm just saying stranger things have happened. You're saying he won't even win one. I think everywhere other than RG he has a legitimate shot. Fed won't be a factor in a year or so - that leaves Nadal and Novak - beating both is a big ask - but what if one is upset early so he only has to beat one? Is it beyond him to get 3 sets off Novak or Rafa - he went 5 in Melbourne vs Novak, he went 4 at Wimbledon vs Nadal (and beat him in 2010 and 2008 in slams) - he has the best chance outside the top 3 and at some point someone else will have to win a slam!

And of course Novak is a better player - he's offensive when he has to be and seizes the moment - Murray's biggest weakness is being passive on big points. Novak is mentally tougher and channels his anger on court in the right way. But the best player doesn't always win the match - he won't be the best this year and frankly I can't see Murray getting to no.1 at any point, unless Novak and Rafa get injured - but he can certainly win a slam. [Additionally I'm not against Novak - I think he's a great player and working his way up to Becker, Connors, McEnroe level at a great speed - just think he's not been at 2011 level so far this year. Makes for a close and exciting race though so it's fun - he's back at human level so the rest have a chance. ]
he wont beat Nadal the guy owns him and Novak...well Novak played mediocre at the AO SF and that's why it went to 5.Murray was at 100%,Novak at 70%.It happens
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #188
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I agree with your post, one of the few actually. But you're right this time.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #189
country flag Ash86

Quote:
he wont beat Nadal the guy owns him and Novak...well Novak played mediocre at the AO SF and that's why it went to 5.Murray was at 100%,Novak at 70%.It happens
Exactly. It happens. It might happen again. Heck Novak got a Nadal not even at 70% in last year's final at Wimbledon after all.

Doesn't matter why Novak wasn't his best - it was a GS semi-final - I doubt it was by choice. It just shows Novak won't always be 100% - his serve won't always work even if he wants it to. Same for Nadal. Everyone has bad days. Murray's good day may coincide with a bad day for the others.

Don't agree about Murray/Nadal - they've had a lot of close matches and Murray can beat him - just came short in the big matches last year. Destroyed him in Tokyo though - I thought that was the start of a new Murray but sadly the level of that set has not been seen since....
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #190
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

For me Murray is even futher off the pace of the other 3 than ever before. Yeah he had a tight match with Nole at the oz open, but Nole was shockingly bad for a lot of that match. Murray is impotent on clay and barely even a top 10 player on it, so there is a quarter of the year he is even further off the pace than normal.

Forehand looks as vulnerable as ever, and the one thing I thought Lendl would sort out is his attitude and it is as negative as ever.

I expect Murray to be 'actively' looking for a new coach come US open series, because he will not admit his own short comings and work on them instead blame someone else and look for a quick fix no coach can give.

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #191
country flag duchuy89

duchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond reputeduchuy89 has a reputation beyond repute

Murray not excellent.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #192
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
For me Murray is even futher off the pace of the other 3 than ever before. Yeah he had a tight match with Nole at the oz open, but Nole was shockingly bad for a lot of that match. Murray is impotent on clay and barely even a top 10 player on it, so there is a quarter of the year he is even further off the pace than normal.

Forehand looks as vulnerable as ever, and the one thing I thought Lendl would sort out is his attitude and it is as negative as ever.

I expect Murray to be 'actively' looking for a new coach come US open series, because he will not admit his own short comings and work on them instead blame someone else and look for a quick fix no coach can give.
How many coaches has he got already? the problem is not the coach, it's him. He's frustrated. He's unconfident. It shows in his game.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #193
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
How many coaches has he got already? the problem is not the coach, it's him. He's frustrated. He's unconfident. It shows in his game.
god knows, must have had 5 coaches since being on the tour. for me it shows an immaturity to accept that it is him and not the coach that is stopping him winning a slam.

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #194
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

It's time people wake up and realize Pushray isn't winning a slam anytime soon. Lendl or even God himself could not help him play offensive tennis when it matters because at his core he isn't a very talented grinder.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #195
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
It's time people wake up and realize Pushray isn't winning a slam anytime soon. Lendl or even God himself could not help him play offensive tennis when it matters because at his core he isn't a very talented grinder.
Isn't?

With that said though, there are reasons why Wozniacki is still slamless despite the WTA looking like a pile of shit. Pushers aren't good enough to win Slams.