French Open Wildcard - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
country flag AussieAdz

AussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond repute
Default French Open Wildcard

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on who should receive our reciprocal wildcard for the French Open?

Contenders

- Thanasi Kokkinakis - maybe in on direct entry, maybe just outside (awaiting confirmation)
- Lleyton Hewitt
- Alex Bolt
- Jason Kubler
- John Millman
- John-Patrick Smith
Singles:
2014: TMS Shanghai F, ATP Bogota F
Doubles:
2014 (w/ Southend Aussies): W - Quimper CH, Le Gosier CH, Banja Luka CH, Pune CH

Last edited by AussieAdz : 04-15-2015 at 11:14 PM.
AussieAdz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 01:55 AM   #2
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Open Wildcard

Thanasi (assuming he needs it) has to be the most obvious choice. Good on clay, so close to top 100, and playing at least at top 50 level.

Hewitt surely not in contention given can't even win a match at a 250 and hasn't won at RG in years.

Kubler has made it to Qf at Sarasota, so if continues to perform surely next in contention despite poor form to date.

Bolt though seems to me to have a very good case over Kubler - strong performance in recent months plus very good clay record (8-5 at challener level including a title vs Kubler's 22-19 and one title), and arguably lots of potential...

Millman poor form this year and not great on clay. JP similarly not a clay courter, though surprisingly good run this year.
Kateoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
country flag Ritz

Ritz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond repute

Either Kubler or Kokkinakis. I reckon Kubler can definitely challenge Kokk if he runs deep in Sarosota this week (maybe even win it) but RN itll be Kokk by form most definitely.
Ritz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Either Kubler or Kokkinakis. I reckon Kubler can definitely challenge Kokk if he runs deep in Sarosota this week (maybe even win it) but RN itll be Kokk by form most definitely.
Hmm. Even if Kubler were to win Sarasota, I doubt there is much prospect of him going deep at RG - win a match, maybe with a bit of luck in the draw. By contrast the Kokk really does have chance of making a deep run. And he has the profile by virtue of his tour level form (the french and italian media in particular seem to love him, more articles there than here at home!).

A bit of time to see how they all go on clay I guess, but I think the real comp is for second on the list, and I think Bolt can make a case, especially if he does well in An-Ning. That said, it would be a lot stronger if he was playing more on clay (though maybe he will turn up in qualies for some of the 250s) - why he has entered Busan on hard the week before RG qualies is not obvious to me...
Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
country flag Ritz

Ritz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond reputeRitz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateoz View Post
Hmm. Even if Kubler were to win Sarasota, I doubt there is much prospect of him going deep at RG - win a match, maybe with a bit of luck in the draw. By contrast the Kokk really does have chance of making a deep run. And he has the profile by virtue of his tour level form (the french and italian media in particular seem to love him, more articles there than here at home!).

A bit of time to see how they all go on clay I guess, but I think the real comp is for second on the list, and I think Bolt can make a case, especially if he does well in An-Ning. That said, it would be a lot stronger if he was playing more on clay (though maybe he will turn up in qualies for some of the 250s) - why he has entered Busan on hard the week before RG qualies is not obvious to me...
I agree with your first point on Kubler. He's only played one ATP event so he's a bit inexperienced against top players. Kokk will defs get the WC if his ranking doesnt make the cut.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
country flag TalkonTennis

TalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond reputeTalkonTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - barring unforeseen injuries, it will go to Thanasi because he'll just miss the cutoff for MD I think.

Ideally it should go to Jason Kubler, but unfortunately his hot streak from the end of last year has gone cold and it will take very strong performances at the USA clay Challengers over the coming weeks to put his name back in the frame. It might not be such a bad idea for Koobs to play the qualifying tournament anyway, and if he can get through that it will put him in a stronger position to play top tier opponents than simply handing him a WC to bomb out in the first round.

Bolt would probably be the selection if Kokkinakis actually does make it in to MD - regardless of the fact that his ranking will plunge if he can't back up the Challenger win points at An-Ning, he's had probably the strongest season so far of any of those currently between 110-250.

As for the others, I agree with Kate - Hewitt is rapidly becoming embarrassing because he can only play 20 minutes of good tennis per match, and neither Millman nor Smith are natural clay courters (although why this is the case for The Mailman is odd, because with his game he should be very strong on it...)
TalkonTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

only 2 options

Kok or Kubler, i hope Jason gets it
Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
country flag Kateoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza View Post
only 2 options

Kok or Kubler, i hope Jason gets it
Care to explain why?

Race as at today: Kokk, 66; Bolt, 140; Koobs, 220.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
country flag The Lad

The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAdz View Post
Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on who should receive our reciprocal wildcard for the French Open?

Contenders

- Thanasi Kokkinakis - maybe in on direct entry, maybe just outside (awaiting confirmation)
- Lleyton Hewitt
- Alex Bolt
- Jason Kubler
- John Millman
- John-Patrick Smith
Kokkinakis is streets ahead if he does not make the main draw and the rest of this post only revolves around if he makes the main draw.

if he does than the next few weeks between Bolt and Kubler is a contest. It's advantage Bolt you would think but a big run at the american clay court challenger swing can change that very quickly.

Millman is an outside chance maybe but the form needs to lift.

John Patrick Smith form is good atm but he is doing a clay court dodge and some semblance of clay court form or at least an attempt to demonstrate improvement on it should be a factor. He just needs to to keep fighting to bring that ranking down and maybe discussion at the US open time.

For the WC qualies spot it's Jasika in the lead you would think followed by Barton.
The Lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
country flag Kateoz

As I predicted, the cutoff is very low this year, 99. The Kokk is 8th alternate...last year three alternates got in. That fepree paycheck just for turning up means no chance.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #11
country flag Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateoz View Post
As I predicted, the cutoff is very low this year, 99. The Kokk is 8th alternate...last year three alternates got in. That fepree paycheck just for turning up means no chance.
Is it because there were a handful of PR entries?
Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 AM   #12
country flag Kateoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Is it because there were a handful of PR entries?
Yep - Delpo, Haase, Mayer, Tipsy, Stepanek plus Robert in the alternates. All except Haase have already made some kind showing on the circuit over last few weeks, so likely to show up on the day.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #13
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute

If Kokk doesn't get in. I'd give it to Bolt unless Kubler manages to win Sarasota.
Chris. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
country flag au_sports_opinion

au_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond repute

Kubler, the clay guy.
au_sports_opinion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #15
country flag scotthongkong

scotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond reputescotthongkong has a reputation beyond repute

Kokkinakis will get it for sure unless Hewitt decides to take his farewell tour to Paris in which case it will be his. I suspect though he wont bother and will head to the green grass sooner rather than later. Wonder who will get the women's?
scotthongkong is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote