Stalin's famines and the British Empire's famines - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stalin's famines and the British Empire's famines

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post

mostly innocent civilians in dresden, hamburg and other cities at a point where the war's ending was inminent as the soviets had done most of the work already. the brit war effort wasn't nearly decisive as the soviet one, and it degenerated quite a bit with winston's bloodlust against germany.

It is only because of Winnie that you are not picking grapes in some Chilean labour camp today, to be handsorted, with the best of the bunch being flown directly to Berlin.

Of course, if things had worked out better for you, then the same would still apply, with Moscow substituting for Berlin above.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Talked to Gonzo yesterday. He was outside the main stadium with Mary Jo saying goodbye to his fans.

I brought him cordial greetings from the great British nation and on behalf of Maggie Thatcher and Winston Churchill (on topic, you see) thanked the people of the great sister nation of Chile for their solidarity with Britain in the war against aggression in the South Atlantic.
I'm sure encounters like this make him feel confident in his retirement decision.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, he just said his body could no longer continue with the rigorous training and the gruelling travel committments necessary to survive on today's circuit and he felt happy with his decision that the time had come to move on to other interests.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Starvation and overpopulation goes hand in hand. It's scary to think India could have been even more overpopulated. Not defending any actions of either the British Empire or Stalin but think about it. Looks truly crazy in a condensed graph like below just to really drive in the point.

the cut around 1300-1400 is the plague. But seriously since 1900 humanity is out of line. It's pure madness and India is as guilty as China. And both of them could have been more extreme
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
country flag AliceMariaRenka

AliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond reputeAliceMariaRenka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When talking about famines, the name of Stalin usually pops up as the monster of history responsible for the deaths of millions, famously with his purges but also for his 'man made' famines, in particular Ukranian Holodomor which many recognise as a deliberate attempt to destroy a population (i.e. genocide). arguments still rage about whether this was the case, or whether it was simply an effect of Stalin's policies, but I don't think anyone can argue Stalin had little regard for the lives of millions.

So why are the famines in India and Ireland (among others) done by the British empire not regarded in such fashion? There were similar policies, similar hatreds for the subject populations, similar exporting of food despite widespread famine and similar leaders who directly ordered this, Winston Churchill being one who is responsible for the death of millions and yet is regarded to this day with high acclaim in Britain.

in the west, most people like to point their accusing fingers at others by they're not very prone to take a look on their mirrors. hypocrisy, as i've said on countless ocassions, is rampant.
Have you tried picking some wild flowers, or going for a nice walk, patting a dog, stroking a cat, eating an ice cream in the sunshine, watching children laugh and play, or even hugging a tree? You might find you actually enjoy life.

Aga; Ana; Maria; Vika. Come on Caroline, prove everyone wrong!

Andy, Novak. Have a wonderful 2013!!

Roger Federer

Last edited by AliceMariaRenka : 04-02-2012 at 08:49 AM.
AliceMariaRenka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

ha, reading the old posts i reckon some fine trolling by BH here... yet again in one of my threads
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #22
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceMariaRenka View Post
Have you tried picking some wild flowers, or going for a nice walk, patting a dog, stroking a cat, eating an ice cream in the sunshine, watching children laugh and play, or even hugging a tree? You might find you actually enjoy life.
thanks. i mostly enjoy it. there have been ups and downs, it's been quite a trip thus far. i hope for the best for everyone.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #23
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

British rule in India
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #24
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
British rule in India
Thank God for 21st century democracy, though. Britain is well on its way to becoming an Indian colony these days. Quite ironic, I'd say. No wonder, Brits are swarming into AU/NZ like rats abandoning a sinking ship.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #25
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

I guess all the Serbs on this forum should be "grateful" (joking) to Churchill for his support to Tito (still Stalin's friend) instead of Mihailovic ...

Churchill & Stalin in the same bag. Both freemason, globalists and overtly allied. Churchill was one of the founding fathers of the EEC/EU for whom it may concern.

The 1300 French dead marine soldiers of Mers-El-Kebir are saluting the Churchilltards, wherever they are.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The 1300 French dead marine soldiers of Mers-El-Kebir are saluting the Churchilltards, wherever they are.
didn't know about that.

the more i read about churchill the more i get convinced that he was pig. his dimissive approach to human lives is shocking.

hard to believe how a person like that can be regarded as a hero in what westerners claim to be a highly progressive place. the guy was on par with the terrorists the west claims to despise.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I guess all the Serbs on this forum should be "grateful" (joking) to Churchill for his support to Tito (still Stalin's friend) instead of Mihailovic ...
We were just small pawns for the big boys. Some things never change
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am not going to enter the debate on Stalin and Churchill's famines, because I am simply not qualified at all, I know far too little about those.

However, Irish history is my main area of research (Northern Irish history, rather, but of course you cannot study Northern Ireland without studying the whole of Ireland too). And I think that it's not really true to say that the Famine has been ignored.
If there's one thing the Irish are really good at, it's promoting their status as victims, martyrs and so on. True, for a while, the Famine was not talked about, it was a trauma that people did not want to re-awaken. But that changed about a decade ago, at that time, the Famine suddenly became a very "trendy" topic, there were dozens of books written about it, and lots of commemorations, it became almost ridiculous (and of course it was heavily used by Republicans for propaganda purposes).
Tony Blair actually apologized to the Irish about the Famine, so you cannot really claim that the British have evaded their responsibility on this.

Quickly, someone mentioned overpopulation as the cause of Famine... Well, it was certainly one factor in Ireland, but it was also exaggerated as a factor. At the time, theories such as Malthusianism were actually one of the reasons why the British did not do anything and let so many Irish people die.
Like most historical phenomena, the Irish Famine is complex and it's always wrong to claim one cause was the only cause, or even the "main" cause of the deaths. But if one main cause is to be identified, I think it was the social system (and especially how Irish farmers were kept entirely dependent on the potato crop, and how the lack of industrial development in Ireland prevented them from resisting the natural disaster of the potato blight).
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
didn't know about that.
I once had a discussion with a Frenchy, Pied-Noir and Vichy nostalgic. He would swear that De Gaulle had something to do with all this, while it's definitely clear that Churchill did not warn him about it, just like he did not warn him about Operation Torch. The FFL couldn't get any more volunteers after that.

I can tell you that the French haven't forgotten about it, at least those who have a little bit of historical knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin
We were just small pawns for the big boys. Some things never change
What makes me wild is that many people in the West still believe that the Chetniks were collaborationists, Communist propaganda. I once had a discussion with two French leftist who were sure of that. At that time I was rather young and I did not have a lot of sources to back up my claims (only Orwell's preface for his Animal Farm which is available on the net) but now I've read a book about his rehabilitation trial and am glad that I was perfectly right.

Those guy would call me a Neo-Nazi/Fascist/Vichyist. It's just crazy !
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Echoes why don't you apply for French citizenship already?
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote