What's the point of living? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the point of living?

We're romantic beings who love simple, elegant answers to all questions. There needn't be a point.

My philosophy in general is about focusing on what I can do with what I'm given, rather than what anyone or anything highly hypothetical would have intended for me. I see possibility rather than purpose.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

we are but a collection of highly improbable mistakes... on every level... there can be no point where extreme luck is concerned

you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake... where you are now, you cannot imagine what the bottom will be like...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #18
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

To spend 20+ years on this planet deluding yourself that you're working towards "a future" and working hard towards said future, just for life to throw you a fucking curveball out of nowhere that sounds, looks, tastes and smells like a terminal disease, thereby robbing you of said "future" and rendering life rather meaningless. I guess the best that anyone can do is hope to hell that one somehow avoids bad luck and shitty coincidences that lead to said bad luck. Anyone who really thinks there's a grand plan or "predestination" is, quite honestly, retarded.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
To spend 20+ years on this planet deluding yourself that you're working towards "a future" and working hard towards said future, just for life to throw you a fucking curveball out of nowhere that sounds, looks, tastes and smells like a terminal disease, thereby robbing you of said "future" and rendering life rather meaningless. I guess the best that anyone can do is hope to hell that one somehow avoids bad luck and shitty coincidences that lead to said bad luck. Anyone who really thinks there's a grand plan or "predestination" is, quite honestly, retarded.
I don't get the correlation between the two. If there is no grand plan as you say, then it's not really a bad luck, since death is inevitable - there is nothing to fulfill, so few years here or there should be meaningless.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #20
country flag WarriorA

WarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, but I'll take whatever comes out.

I've wondered the same thing at points in my life, but that was when I gave too much weight to what was happening in my external environment. Now, I'm delighted by simple things and am thankful each day I'm alive.

Keep up the fight. Sometimes willingness to move through pain helps you to find purpose. It also gives you a chance to see just how strong you are.
WarriorA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #21
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
To have fun. And not interfere with others having fun.
Best answer in the thread IMO
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #22
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
I don't get the correlation between the two. If there is no grand plan as you say, then it's not really a bad luck, since death is inevitable - there is nothing to fulfill, so few years here or there should be meaningless.
Death is inevitable but most people don't die until they're 70 or 80. For those that meet with the inevitability of death way before that, e.g. by way of a terminal illness, no one sane would not stop to question why. I've heard all sorts of reasons: the religious like to chalk it down to "God's plan"; the less religious and probably agnostic like to talk about "destiny" or "predestination", which is a variation on the idea of "God's plan". These two ideas imply that there is a larger force at work in the universe, with the only difference between the two being the mode of identification of the said larger force (for Christians - a God; for non-Christians - destiny, fate, cosmic forces, whatever). But it's glaringly obvious to me that these ideas are borne out of a weak human need to find meaning in what is really dumb luck, sheer coincidence. In other words, the reason why something bad happens to someone but not someone else is because that person is unlucky; when two people meet and fall in love, it's not because "fate brought them together" but simply because they coincidentally happened to be at the right place at the right time. No point trying to dress up this fact, stark as it is, by reference to a higher power, some sentimental yearning or longing for a "larger purpose" such as "fate" or "destiny" so as to justify human existence and give it seriousness. Nice try. But I don't buy it. Oscar Wilde was spot-on when he said that the basis for optimism is sheer terror.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)

Last edited by tripwires : 03-22-2012 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

To leave a mark and inspire others in the future to accomplish great things.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #24
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

There is no point. There is no inherent meaning in life, you can enjoy it if capable. Thusfar, it seems I am not.

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #25
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Death is inevitable but most people don't die until they're 70 or 80. For those that meet with the inevitability of death way before that, e.g. by way of a terminal illness, no one sane would not stop to question why. I've heard all sorts of reasons: the religious like to chalk it down to "God's plan"; the less religious and probably agnostic like to talk about "destiny" or "predestination", which is variation on the idea of "God's plan". These two ideas imply that there is a larger force at work in the universe, with the only difference between the two being the mode of identification of the said larger force (for Christians - a God; for non-Christians - destiny, fate, cosmic forces, whatever). But it's glaringly obvious to me that these ideas are borne out of a weak human need to find meaning in what is really dumb luck, sheer coincidence. In other words, the reason why something bad happens to someone but not someone else is because that person is unlucky; when two people meet and fall in love, it's not because "fate brought them together" but simply because they coincidentally happened to be at the right place at the right time. No point trying to dress up this fact, stark as it is, by reference to a higher power, some sentimental yearning or longing for a "larger purpose" such as "fate" or "destiny" so as to justify human existence and give it seriousness. Nice try. But I don't buy it. Oscar Wilde was spot-on when he said that the basis for optimism is sheer terror.
Well, I wouldn't try to assign every and any small thing to a higher power, however it's - as you say - glaringly obvious that there are laws at work everywhere around us; the law of gravity, the laws of thermodynamics, the laws of movement and plethora of others.

And they are as good on Earth as they are on the Moon, on the Sun or in another galaxy. Odds that all that is just dumb luck are monstrously small, probably even worse than for Shakespeare's Monkeys.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #26
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Well, I wouldn't try to assign every and any small thing to a higher power, however it's - as you say - glaringly obvious that there are laws at work everywhere around us; the law of gravity, the laws of thermodynamics, the laws of movement and plethora of others.

And they are as good on Earth as they are on the Moon, on the Sun or in another galaxy. Odds that all that is just dumb luck are monstrously small, probably even worse than for Shakespeare's Monkeys.
I don't disagree. I don't have an opinion on the science behind life on Earth/the universe. I just don't like the sentimentality inherent in the continued efforts by the human race to 1) attribute these laws to a higher power; and 2) ascribe more meaning to them than what they actually possess. I'm an atheist so obviously I don't buy into the concept of "God's plan" at all. I guess my irreligiousness is so extreme that I can't even fathom, or comprehend, the idea of fate and some ill-defined larger force at work that changes a person's path in life and determines what happens to him. It seems to me like whatever happens to us simply happens; there is really no larger purpose or meaning, and there is no larger force at work that orchestrates these events. Otherwise, why the hell would a good person die young and an asshole live out the whole of his natural life? I mean, I would really like to know this. I've thought about this constantly over the last few months and nothing makes sense to me - religion, some fuzzy concept of fate/the cosmos dictating shit/whatever - except that shit happens, it's too bad, there is no god, now move on with your life.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #27
country flag tripwires

Off-topic: wow our post counts are so close. Now I feel a competitive need to overtake you.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #28
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by safin-rules-no.1 View Post
Please enlighten me.
Oh hun i use to ask myself this question all the time, you are not the only one
Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #29
LittleGloves

LittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGloves has a reputation beyond repute

Because we have beaten the other millions of sperms to be born in the world.
LittleGloves is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #30
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Off-topic: wow our post counts are so close. Now I feel a competitive need to overtake you.

/end thread ... we have our answer
Strip