When did these players begin their decline in your opinon - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute
Default When did these players begin their decline in your opinon

Nadal
Roddick
Federer
Nalbandian
Sampras
Agassi
Davydenko
Safin
Hewitt
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did these players begin their decline in your opinon

Some players decline a little and get back, it gets difficult when the curve is not your typical one peak and straight/curved line down.

Federer started to decline in 2007 but stopped in 2009 his decline and hasnt declined much since then.

Nadal had 2 peaks in 2008 and 2010, started to decline in 2011, surprisingly the line hasnt gone straight down but he seems to still be declining at a slow pace.

Sampras started decline in 96 but still had a good 97 because of 2 very easy slam draws that year, definitive decline started in 98 and the line was straight down (unlike Federer)

Agassi had his best year 94-95, declined for reasons outside tennis and came back to dominate a weak era in 99, continued his natural decline in 00 forward but at a slow pace.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Safin clearly had a roller coaster career from 00 to 05 and then finally declined at a very fast pace, didnt fight hard enought to stay good at an old age.

Nalbandian probably had his best years 05-07, seems to appear out of nowhere to go on winning streaks against top players at certain periods, he started to decline in 08.

Roddick in my opinion was at his absolute best in 03-04 and never found his game since he started to experiment with a whole new approach to challenge Federer in 05 forward. He was still good in 06, definetly was declining at a fast rate in 07.

Hewitt was very good between 01-04 with one bad year in between, started to decline slowly in 05 but was still very good (like Federer 07) but in 06 he was no longer a top player.

Davydenko reminds me of Nalbandian suddenly having short periods where he plays great tennis and disappears for long periods of time, he appeared from nowhere in 06 and became a top player very fast and produced some great results every year from 06-09 even if every year he seemed to be gone during a big part of the year. Definetly declined in 2010 after finding his absolute peak in late 09 and early 10, after his choke against Federer in AO the old Davydenko was never to be seen again on court.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Federer started declining in 2007, fell quite a bit in 2008, but regained his form in 2009 and then started declining slowly since then. He's probably got the slowest decline I've ever seen It's incredibly hard to see the difference between 2010 Federer and 2012 Federer

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $33,359,256 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 481-151...
TITLES: 31 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal in his prime
Roddick 2007
Federer 2007
Nalbandian injuries screwed him over- he never regained his 2005 form- but in 2007 he showed glimpses
Sampras 1997
Agassi 2003
Davydenko maybe 2010- maybe
Safin he ddint decline he just stopped giving a fuck
Hewitt 2005
Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

federers slow decline is the stuff of legends

really must piss of the haters that rog can still play at such a high level

.... truth is that the era is so shit right now- fed is allowed to stay high because of how incredibly weak the overall top 50 is

its probably the worst tennis era in recorded history- even when rolland garros was french ametuer only- it was 100 times stronger than today

tennis offically died in 2008- and untill we see surface variance it wont be coming back
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
country flag rob_z

rob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal isn't really in decline in my opinion. He was in 2011 in 3 slam finals and in many finals of ATP 1000 master tournaments. The problem wasthat he lost to Nole every time. If Djokovic hadn't play so well in 2011, Nadal would probably have won 3 slams last year and still be number 1. Probably Nadals game in 2010 was better, but 2011 wasn't that bad.
rob_z is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
country flag sexybeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_z View Post
Nadal isn't really in decline in my opinion. He was in 2011 in 3 slam finals and in many finals of ATP 1000 master tournaments. The problem wasthat he lost to Nole every time. If Djokovic hadn't play so well in 2011, Nadal would probably have won 3 slams last year. Probably Nadals game in 2010 was better, but 2011 wasn't that bad.
If Nadal wasnt declining in 2011 then should I say Federer was declining in 2007 when he won 8 titles and 3 slams?

Nadal's 2011 actually reminds me more of Fed 2008, Nadal had 3 titles and Fed 4, Nadal 3 slam finals and Fed 3 slam finals, Fed dominated by Nadal and Nadal dominated by Djokovic and so on.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal (still at or near his peak, IMO)
Roddick (2006 or 2011, depending on your prejorative. Declined very slowly)
Federer (2008)
Nalbandian (2006, though it's hard to say what his 'peak' was)
Sampras (2000)
Agassi (2006)
Davydenko (2010)
Safin (2005)
Hewitt (2006)
Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Peaks and valleys, baby.

Peaks and valleys.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Wheres Djokovic?
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
country flag sexybeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Visa View Post
Nadal (still at or near his peak, IMO)
Roddick (2006 or 2011, depending on your prejorative. Declined very slowly)
Federer (2008)
Nalbandian (2006, though it's hard to say what his 'peak' was)
Sampras (2000)
Agassi (2006)
Davydenko (2010)
Safin (2005)
Hewitt (2006)
Sampras started to decline when he was 2 years older than Federer and Agassi in 2006? Really?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #13
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt declined in the mid-2000s but the reality is that the game passed him by more than he just straight declined. Even today, he's proven he could probably be a top 20-30 player if he could play a full season.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
country flag rob_z

rob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond reputerob_z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
If Nadal wasnt declining in 2011 then should I say Federer was declining in 2007 when he won 8 titles and 3 slams?

Nadal's 2011 actually reminds me more of Fed 2008, Nadal had 3 titles and Fed 4, Nadal 3 slam finals and Fed 3 slam finals, Fed dominated by Nadal and Nadal dominated by Djokovic and so on.
It's what the definition of decline is. If player X plays great tennis as good as ever, but a competitor improves strongly. Than I don't really consider it a decline of player X. Than I think that his competitor has improved, but not necessarily that player X declined. I consider a decline when the personal quality of tennis of player X goes strongly down.
Although you might also look from a different perspective indeed: looking purely to the rankings and statistics. And than it is true that player X was on the rankings surpassed, because his competitor improved so much. So on the rankings/statistics he declined indeed.

So the question is:
Should decline be based on the moment that the quality of tennis of somebody's own personal game goes down?
Or should decline be based on the time when he starts to fall in the overall rankings?

I would go for the first definition. But you can discuss about it.
rob_z is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal hasn't declined, he just was barely stopped at Australia and can beat practically every player on tour. if he has declined then that would mean the tour was so horrible right now and that Nadal's best is way better than any other current players, which isn't exactly true.

absurd to assume Nadal has declined. he does everything as well as before. give it a year and if he has failed to win some titles and even seems hindered on clay then we will all have to agree. currently no signs point to any decline. the fact that Nadal is mentioned by the OP in this makes me not even want to address the other decline points

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote