IW 4R: Simon breadsticks Harrison 7-6(0), 5-7, 6-1 - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #61
country flag benji47

benji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IW 4R: Simon breadsticks Harrison 7-6(0), 5-7, 6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
whilst i agree this match was no gimmie for simon, he missed a smash and didn't put away an easy volley on 2 of the MP's, that is not harrison 'taking them from him'

stopped reading after that as can already tell you are just as biased against simon as the fans are for him you will be ranting about
Oh please, he almost backed up to the base line and then smashed, it was NOT an easy smash. Harrison gave Simon a good lob, the only reason Simon even tried to smash was because he knew that lob would land in perfectly inside of the base line.
benji47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #62
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

after being ***** by berlocq in buenos aires I thought simon should retire from tennis
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #63
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
whilst i agree this match was no gimmie for simon, he missed a smash and didn't put away an easy volley on 2 of the MP's, that is not harrison 'taking them from him'

stopped reading after that as can already tell you are just as biased against simon as the fans are for him you will be ranting about
Godbless catchup on Tennistv...I went back and watched the game in question. The points you speak of didn't happen. Maybe you were thinking of when Ryan broke Simon when he was serving for the first set?

0-15: Simon goes for a forehand winner, misses wide...wastes a challenge
15-15: Unreturned Serve
30-15: Simon hits a smash for a winner
40-15: Simon vollies into the open court for a winner
40-30 MP: Harrison charges the net hits and hits a drop volley winner
Deuce MP: Harrison hits a forehand winner
Advantage: Harrison hits a strong forehand and charges the net forces the error
Break: Harrison forces error from Simon after another big forehand

You may finish reading my orginal post now.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #64
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
LOL at this match...even more at the thread title. MTF is full of some of the least knowledgeable yet most vocal fans of any sport that I've seen. Those who think this match was NID for Simon must have been high or just blind. Simple Simon got blasted all over the court, yanked from side to side. He didn't choke 3 MP away, Harrison took them from him. It looked like a heavy weight versus a feather weight out there...the only difference was the additional 5 years experience that Simon has on tour.

Harrison def. Harrison (Simon was there too).

Ryan needs to learn that if you have someone backed up and far off the court, that the way to finish the point is not by rolling the ball to the other side of the court to setup another massive forehand...it's by hitting a sensible approach shot and ending the rally by moving forward.

It's surprising that considering how good Ryan was at net in this match he didn't get the hint and do more of this. He seemed content to play 40 shot rallies and let Simon error...that's the strategical equivalent of Federer trying to beat Nadal with his backand hitting balls way over his head. Even though, I must say to his credit Harrison is fast enough and good enough on defense that he did have quite a bit of success with this strategy.

For the blind Gilles fans, I will say he does have a way, almost reminiscent of Schuettler(MTF members like the OP with a join date after 2007 should google him) where he puts the opposition into a sleeper hold. Every ball he hits is at the same monotonously slow pace....eventually his opponents will stop playing aggressively sensing there is no danger and then WHAM! Forehand winner or etc.

Guarantee when Ryan Harrison gains more confidence in his offensive game, specifically finishing the point...guys like Simon will not trouble him. Good learning experience for him though, hope he watches the tape and learns.
Apparently you missed all the times that Ryan did move forward and Simon passed him. It's very hard to put away volley or make a good approach shot on a very slow hard court against Simon of all people. Simon passed him when he was at the net more often than not. Ryan lost when he stopped being patient and tried to end the point too quickly, not the other way around.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #65
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Godbless catchup on Tennistv...I went back and watched the game in question. The points you speak of didn't happen. Maybe you were thinking of when Ryan broke Simon when he was serving for the first set?

0-15: Simon goes for a forehand winner, misses wide...wastes a challenge
15-15: Unreturned Serve
30-15: Simon hits a smash for a winner
40-15: Simon vollies into the open court for a winner
40-30 MP: Harrison charges the net hits and hits a drop volley winner
Deuce MP: Harrison hits a forehand winner
Advantage: Harrison hits a strong forehand and charges the net forces the error
Break: Harrison forces error from Simon after another big forehand

You may finish reading my orginal post now.
the 1st match point on harrison's serve simon had a volley and smash on, neither simon put away

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #66
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Apparently you missed all the times that Ryan did move forward and Simon passed him. It's very hard to put away volley or make a good approach shot on a very slow hard court against Simon of all people. Simon passed him when he was at the net more often than not. Ryan lost when he stopped being patient and tried to end the point too quickly, not the other way around.
Again, OK - I can watch the match and get all the stats from Tennistv. So why would you make a statement like this when I can go and look up all the numbers?

5/8 - 1st Set
11/12 - 2nd Set
6/10 - Third Set

So for the match Harrison was 22/30 at the net...are you kidding me? That's about 3/4 of the time he came to the net he won.

But you're right he lost when he when he wasn't patient and went to net and got passed not even 1/3 of the time. LOL

I'm glad you aren't my coach or my math teach for that matter.
That's the gospel.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #67
country flag Fumus

Quote:
the 1st match point on harrison's serve simon had a volley and smash on, neither simon put away
I didn't see that the first time around...upon re watching however I did see what you were talking about but I will remind you he did come up with an ace and a rocket forehand winner at deuce to win that game.

Certianly he won that set more than Gilles lost it.

Let me know when you finish your response to my first post.
That's the gospel.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #68
country flag Ravel

Ravel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond reputeRavel has a reputation beyond repute

Liking this result!
Ravel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #69
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't see that the first time around...upon re watching however I did see what you were talking about but I will remind you he did come up with an ace and a rocket forehand winner at deuce to win that game.

Certianly he won that set more than Gilles lost it.

Let me know when you finish your response to my first post.
so that mp did harrison bring it? no. if simon had put away that smash or volley he would have had a 7-6, 6-2 win.

so all your talk about harrison winning more than gilles lost it is here nor there. gilles won 16 straight points and 24 of 26 points at a certain stage, harrison is just lucky gilles confidence is rock bottom right now, as gilles also served for the 1st set at 5-4.

gilles also served for the match against sela at 5-3 2nd set and at 5-2 second set against stan and both times was broken. what harrison did was not some super human effort, it is gilles head getting in the way of closing out matches, as has been shown by him failing to serve out for sets/matches 4 times already this week.

had simon been confident and trusting himself he would have had a decent straight sets win both against harrison and sela.

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #70
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that frustrates me is that there are so many people that assume Gilles doesn't have control over any of his matches just because he has a more defensive style of play. He's a unique type of player that feels more in control of his shots when he's on the run and absorbing pace. Just because he's the "defensive" player at times during the rally doesn't mean he isn't thinking strategically or that he doesn't have control over the ultimate outcome of the point. Obviously this isn't always the case in his matches, but against Harrison I never sensed that he was under much pressure despite Harrison being the aggressor during much of the rallies. I can almost guarantee Gilles thought he was in complete control of that match.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #71
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

shame for Harrison . Playing Isner could have been some kind of breakthrough
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #72
country flag Fumus

Quote:
so that mp did harrison bring it? no. if simon had put away that smash or volley he would have had a 7-6, 6-2 win.

so all your talk about harrison winning more than gilles lost it is here nor there. gilles won 16 straight points and 24 of 26 points at a certain stage, harrison is just lucky gilles confidence is rock bottom right now, as gilles also served for the 1st set at 5-4.

gilles also served for the match against sela at 5-3 2nd set and at 5-2 second set against stan and both times was broken. what harrison did was not some super human effort, it is gilles head getting in the way of closing out matches, as has been shown by him failing to serve out for sets/matches 4 times already this week.

had simon been confident and trusting himself he would have had a decent straight sets win both against harrison and sela.
huh? Yea - right I just went back and wrote out what happened point by point when Gilles served for the match and got broken. It was taken from him, he did just choke it away. So of the 3 MPs he had, he choked on one and got PWNed on the others. Thus I was 2/3 correct and you were 1/3 correct. Making me more right and you more wrong. Please accept that and then read the rest of my first post.

Also, let me put this in a way you'll understand and end this argument forever Harrison >>>> Simon.
That's the gospel.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #73
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Has nobody mentioned Harrison's fitness yet?

It's pathetic and he's going nowhere til it improves dramatically.

Hope he's not going to be a Mardy Fish type who waits til he's 28 before he does something about it.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #74
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
Has nobody mentioned Harrison's fitness yet?

It's pathetic and he's going nowhere til it improves dramatically.

Hope he's not going to be a Mardy Fish type who waits til he's 28 before he does something about it.
To be frank, you couldn't be more wrong.
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #75
country flag Fumus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
To be frank, you couldn't be more wrong.
Agree, that was a very physical match last night and I don't ever think fitness was a question. A 19 y/o Ryan is 100000000 times the player that Fish was at the time (not just fitness)...also, Harrison is ripped and psychically quite well build, something Fish will never be.
That's the gospel.

Last edited by Fumus : 03-15-2012 at 10:35 PM.