When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #46
country flag Sommarsverige
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

I wanted to write my story in this thread already since a longer time, but never had time, so today I will finally do it.

In the beginning I have to say that I did not take much notice of Gaston for many years (I really wonder why, now afterwards...), but when I saw him playing in Hamburg and Duesseldorf this year, everything changed and now he is one of my absolute favourite players.
As I said, I saw Gaston the whole week in Duesseldorf, which was only some very few days before the French Open!
When the French Open started we had some discussions, because one of my tennis friends is a big Guillermo Canas fan and as the 2 had to play eachother in the 1st round, it was very much teasing and, in fact, I was quite sure that Gaston will loose against Willy.
Well, as everybody knows, he didn´t and he won one match after the other.
I could not believe it, and when he reached the final, it was just unbelievable great!

I watched the final all by myself at home, but had very intensive SMS contact with 2 good friends (the Canas fan I mentionned before and another friend who was in the US during the final and is definitely one of the biggest Gaston fans I know), so we discussed everything that happened in the match.
After the first 2 sets, I was sure everything will be over quite soon and I already called a friend to meet very shortly.
But then Gato won the 3rd set and the 4th and in the 5th set I was so nervous, so I could not really follow the match because of this.
After the 4th set, I was so sure, Gato will win, but already in the beginning of the 5th I did not know what to think.
When Coria had matchballs some games later, I was almost dying because I wanted Gaston so much to win this. I was sure that he will not get such a chance so soon again and he just had to win!
After Gaston won the matchpoint, I was so overwhelmed and started crying, because first of all I was so happy for Gaston and everything came out after this nervous tennis match!
Of course, I wrote to my friend in the States and we both could not believe it!!!

Everything after this matchpoint was unbelievable, the shake-hands, when he went to Franco & Co, his speech and the best for me was when Gaston said to the crowd "I was so scared, you know..." and then his laughter
So typical Gaston and so unforgetable and saved in my mind for the rest of my life!

Thank you so much Gaston for winning Roland Garros, muchas gracias

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Stan Wawrinka ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

I miss you on tour, Nors, Bjösse, Simon & Pim Pim
Sommarsverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 07:59 AM   #47
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Bump for all the people who can't be here at the moment due to certain circumstances.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #48
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

So not just Marc and FB? Zetlandsk and Perez too?
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #49
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute

After half a year has gone by, I can look back at that final more objectively. It was one of the important moments in my life, and I´ll try to explain why.

I´d seen very little of Gastón´s RG matches because of my work schedule, and I couldn´t even follow the live-scoring, so my husband, who was at home during those hours, would watch the tennis and call me at the office with the latest news.
Every morning I´d say to him “Today we won´t win. I´ve already accepted it”, and every day he´d call me several times during the match saying “We´re still fighting”. The results up till then seemed more than I could ever have wished for, and before the Nalbandian semifinal I was completely resigned to losing. Lack of faith, you could say, but just like a million others! And then when my husband called me and said “We won. Gaudio burst into tears and it was an incredible moment, I was very moved” I couldn´t believe what I was hearing, because he had always rather made fun of my being such a fan, and now we were in this together! I felt completely fulfilled then, and more than proud of Gastón.

We were four of us to watch the final, and we settled down with coffee and croissants prepared to enjoy a thrilling match, in which we assumed Coria would win but that Gastón would show the incredible tennis he´d been playing and make him work for it. Who were we kidding? It seemed we´d been living in cuckoo-land, all the wonderful tennis of the previous two weeks was just in our imagination, Gastón wasn´t “cured” after all, fairy tales don´t happen. There was a deathly silence in our sitting-room, we felt quite sick. After those first two sets all I wanted was for it to be over soon, and I prayed that this horrible experience wouldn´t set Gastón back even worse than Málaga. The gods had tempted him to think things could be different only to make the fall even greater.

But I think it was in the 8th game of the third set, when something happened. Gastón changed, he seemed to recover his self-esteem. The public saw he wasn´t dead yet, and encouraged him with the most fantastic moment I´ve seen in a spectator sport: with the wave they actually influenced the outcome!
From that moment on we all breathed sighs of relief; I truly think he had the mind-set then to put up a heroic fight and that he could have won the match without the benefit of the other´s cramps. Also, Coria seemed to be tiring, and Gastón was in great physical shape.
I hoped the other one wouldn´t concede the match, I didn´t want Gastón to win that way. But it was obviously disconcerting for him to play against a ghost, specially if you don´t trust said ghost.

We all know what happened in the fifth set! Gastón was tired, the nasty one had recovered, Gastón´s nerves came back when he saw he was playing for the match. The others at home left me alone, they couldn´t watch, and I was feeling physically ill. How could our beautiful dream finish like this?
In the end, two match points overcome, Gastón hanging-in there, 40-15, and then that magical back-hand that opened the gates of Heaven for him!

But it wasn´t only Gastón Gaudio that won. We all won, the crowd watching him there in Paris, his fans, his fans´ families and friends, the people in Argentina who followed his results, everybody who saw him win the final on TV, and the countless millions who read about it in the papers. All of us anonymous people who lead ordinary lives, who once, perhaps in our adolescence, had a dream of achieving something extraordinary. Then life taught us that that was just daydreaming, that we had to set our aims lower, that we would never become film stars or millionaires or presidents or famous sports stars. The truth was that the plain wouldn´t become miraculously handsome, the timid wouldn´t win popularity polls, the depressed wouldn´t suddenly be happy. Gaudio´s triumph was the revindication of all those childhood dreams. To all of us who dared to dream sometime that we could overcome our failings, it was a message of hope. To all of us who left fairy tales behind with our childhood, it said: Don´t give up your dreams, fairy tales can happen!

I think the lives of many millions throughout the world must have been touched by Gastón´s win that day.
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #50
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I felt Gaudio had the game to win this match. He was more of an aggressive clay courter player than Coria so therefore he could control the match vs. being reactive. A tennis pal said to me Gaudio will lose because he left all of his emotions on the court after beating David. That kind of worried me because it made me think that maybe the final was more than enough for Gaudio. I like everyone else gave up after the first two sets but I was happy Guadio was fighting hard and playing cleaner in the 3rd set. When he won it my first thought was "Well at least he took a set, no shame in losing now" then when I saw Coria was cramping and Gaudio easily won the 4th set I thought ok he can do this as long he plays as he should. I was going nuts during all the serves breaks in the 5th but even when Coria was serving it out I thought Gaudio could still break him and win it. When he broke back I had a feeling it would be over if Guadio could just finally hold. Sure enough I was right, Gaudio took advantage of Coria's weak serving and pounced all over him. That crosscourt backhand service box winner for match point was perfect and I loved how Gaudio ran around the court and clapped everyone's hands. Makes me think they will forever love him and push him hard during RG this year.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #51
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the contributions everyone they have been a pleasure to read.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 AM   #52
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

oh oh... I'm still finishing my reactions, George... be patient!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #53
country flag taysbest

taysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it has taken me so long to do this- Hope it's not too late. I'll keep it short since so many of us have had similar reactions.

After years of being a fan, I was thrilled that Gaston made the finals. I wasn't totally suprised since I knew he had the skills to do it. After the first couple of sets I was a bit down, but a match is never over until the last point is played. After Gaston won- It didn't seem real to me right away. But it was real and is still real. He'll always be a French Open winner and no one can take that away. It was confirmation that there can be justice! I don't want to say negitive things about Coria- but I can't think of a better person for GG to beat in the finals. YEAH!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #54
country flag reiko

reiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my reaction. Sorry I'm so late. Hope you guys could include it.
But if not, tell me; it's fine with me. I'm happy just to share my day
with you and I still might be abel to give it to Gaston on another occasion.

=============================================

On the final Sunday, I was seated on the very top and in the very corner of Ph. Chatrier Court. The moment Gaston won I was standing still - I had been standing since the middle of 2nd or 3rd set. No tears. Just feeling like I was dreaming. I recalled all those missed opportunities, especially Hamburg ‘03 & ’04 and Barcelona ’04. Were those heartbreaking defeats the price he had to pay to win this? The Malaga nightmare, too? Or the God blessed him with this brilliant victory instead of giving him some minor ones? Anyway, he deserves this win!

Gaston’s winning RG did not really come as a total surprise to me. On his way to RG, I saw him playing great tennis in Barcelona and Hamburg. And, believe it or not, I had some omens for the victory when I think back. On the mid Sunday, for instance, a postcard with the Cup picture caught my eyes. Realized that the Cup is a few matches away, I bought one. Then I asked Gaston for his autograph on the postcard – that was a very first autograph I got from him. On SF Friday, I saw the past RG winners’ names on the wall of Court 1. And it occurred to me: “Gaston’s name IS GOING TO be written there.” I had some more omens; it was as if someone – could have been the goddess of victory – kept on telling me that Gaston is going to win.

Claro paschali gaudio
sol mundo nitet radio.

(In this our bright and Paschal day
the sun shines out with purer ray.)

Thanks Gaston for all the “joy, delight and happiness” (=gaudium/gaudio in Latin) you shared with us on the beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Love & cheers,

Reiko

===========================================

Audio link of the hymn above:
http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~chfujimi/hymn-101-2nd.htm
Mind you, the hymn comes immediately.

Last edited by reiko : 01-04-2005 at 01:21 PM.
reiko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #55
country flag Adri

Adri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond reputeAdri has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, I?ve already finished with the translations, so if it's anyone left (besides RogiFan) please post it soon! Because I have to send them to GWH and all that.

| Barcelona 2002 | Mallorca 2002 |
| ROLAND GARROS 2004 |
| Viña del Mar 2005 | Buenos Aires 2005 |
| Estoril 2005 | GSTAAD 2005 |

Venezuela

My LJ --- My Space
Adri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:11 AM   #56
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Hola, Adri,

I shall get my report to you pronto!

"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
Old 01-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #57
country flag RogiFan88

Just checking -- Adri is translating all English reports into Spanish to give to GWH at Oz Open?

Old 01-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #58
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's it. And she's finished the whole, as far as I know...so hurry up!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #59
country flag RogiFan88

Eh, Choupi!

Old 01-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #60
country flag RogiFan88

OK, here's my report in English [I already sent my Spanish one to Adri]:

When Gaston won Roland Garros, how did you react?

I was so ecstatic, I cried tears of joy, just as Gaston did. What can I say, of all the Argentine players, I feel Gaston is the most talented, and for him to be the first to win a slam, especially the one he dreamt of winning, Roland Garros, after Guillermo Vilas [my original favourite Argie], was a delight.

I’m a sucker for men showing their emotion, so after Rogi’s tears from winning Wimbledon 2003, Gaston’s blubbing made me feel all warm and protective of him. Let’s just say that I am quite content with the 2004 Slam winners!

My favourite moment of the match was when Gaston allowed the crowd to lift him up after he lost the first two sets – I truly believe that after the huge “ola” and his encouragement of the public’s support, Gaston started to believe that he could actually turn this match around in his favour. Well, we were not to know at the time, but the rest of the match is “history” as they say. And what history! An unexpected champion vs. the much-hyped, much-touted, bookies’ favourite-to-win, the prematurely-crowned King of Clay, Coria.

I can’t hide the fact that although I do feel sorry for Guille, I am not disappointed that he lost the prize he had worked so carefully to capture.

It wasn’t until the semifinal beating Nalbandian that we finally got to know the real Gaston – when he showed his emotion, his tears of joy and probably disbelief that he had actually made a Grand Slam final.

I will always have this final memory of Gaston winning his final with a flourish of a backhand, one of his trademark shots, appropriately, flinging his racquet in the air and gesturing in disbelief… yes, Gaston, you did win a Slam! And no one can ever take that away from you.