Whose one-hander would you pick against Nadal's forehand? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #61
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whose one-hander would you pick against Nadal's forehand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
the thing is nadal's forehand has the most endurance.....i think i will agree with some of what you said.....fed can hold up against rafa's forehand pretty well but only till the point he has to make the next move.....that's when his problems arise.....

nadal is just quicker than fed and defends better than him.....so fed is forced to play high risk tennis time and again which is not his thing.....and it's just sad that nadal's strengths(footspeed and insane topspin) are attributed to bad match up, but we can forgive them as they are clueless anyway......

most single handers have serious issues with nadal's forehand because once again it's the endurance coupled with his ability to move better than his opponent.....that allows him to pin anyone to the backhand corner and dictate all day with his forehand.....nobody does that better than nadal.....
Tennis is all about match ups mate, the sooner you realise this the better. Surely you have noticed how Nadal's strengths are nullified when he goes up against Djokovic...

Ajde..???

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #62
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

i don't believe in categorizing certain players' strengths as bad match ups to other players......i would rather accuse the player who's suffering for not making the right adjustments......djokovic made the necessary adjustments and dominated nadal in 2011.....

as a matter of fact djokovic was dominated by nadal before 2011 to an extent where nadal at one point lead 14-4.....if bad match up concept was really true, that should never have happened because by default nadal should have lost almost every match since the beginning of the rivalry or at least since 2007 ending......

del potro, soderling and berdych were tipped to be rafa's bad match ups.....rafa reduced them all to jokes......djokovic will get his beatings very soon.....in my view tennis is all about adaptability.....
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #63
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

You can look at it that way if you like but I believe that is firmly not the case. How is Federer going to adapt to Nadal's topspin forehand into his single hander? Develop a double hander just against Nadal? There is simply nothing he can do 90% of the time when the rally shifts to the aforementioned cross court exchanges.

As for the Nadal/Djokovic match up and Nadal's early domination, well I think we all know that Nole is a completely different player today. Nadal's strength goes into the Serbian's strength and this is simply a match up issue.

Ajde..???

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #64
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

The Nadal and Nole match up is pretty close - its usually whoever is in better form that wins. No surprise that Nadal could barely win a match against him last year. Its nowhere near as bad as Federer Vs Nadal or Roddick Vs Federer. The mental match up at the moment is heavily skewed in the Serb Lord's favor.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #65
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
You can look at it that way if you like but I believe that is firmly not the case. How is Federer going to adapt to Nadal's topspin forehand into his single hander? Develop a double hander just against Nadal? There is simply nothing he can do 90% of the time when the rally shifts to the aforementioned cross court exchanges.

As for the Nadal/Djokovic match up and Nadal's early domination, well I think we all know that Nole is a completely different player today. Nadal's strength goes into the Serbian's strength and this is simply a match up issue.

Ajde..???
develop superior footspeed and counter forehands with forehands.....make better use of his superior serve and other things which he does better than rafa.....but he seems to be a bit of an egoist who thinks it's better losing all the time by staying within his comfort zone than going outside it and having a try and losing differently or even pulling it off with a little bit of luck.....

whatever it is, it's his problem......after all verdasco, bellucci are not posing the same problem to him.....not every leftie can strike it like nadal and has rafa's footspeed.....surely he's played enough times against rafa to make adjustments but he can't seem to do that.....

single handers like james blake, youzhny had no issues against young rafa.....so an all time great is expected to come up with better tactics.....it's all about adjustments and adapting in my view.....

i don't think nadal is losing it because of bad match to djokovic.....nadal is a clown who is hesitating to strike his backhand like in the old times.....djokovic is just cashing in on it.....
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #66
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #67
Banned!

djodal rivalry

just one year ago, nadal was leading comfortably.....6 matches happened way too quickly and at the right moment for djokovic.....djokovic was in red hot form and nadal hardly had any time to think about djoker, particularly for that wimbledon final.....

nadal is not a natural talent, he needs time to figure out his challenges.....so sometimes some players cash in multiple times in quick succession against him.....

after some thought process in the off season he almost had him in the AO final but failed to finish him off.....compared to last year that is a big improvement because he found himself in a winning position, something which he couldn't at all in any match last year after miami final, particularly at slams.....
Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #68
country flag cardio

cardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
Forget it, Nadal eats up one handers for breakfast, lunch and super. Only indoors does Federer's backhand breathe a sigh of relief. Nadal must have an 80% winning record against single handers I suspect. Would be nice if someone posted the stats.
So what? 80 % vs single handed backhand would be even less than his average. Nadal has 82 % winning record as pro, period. 80 % is not some miracle percentage for top player.

Borg had 82.7 % career winning record .Lendl had 81,7 % including few tough declining years, when he wasnt even in top 5 any more. Fed is already on decline for couple of years now and still has 81.4 record.
cardio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #69
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

Golubev. A shame he's mentally weak.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #70
country flag yonexforever

yonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond repute

Love this topic....but the antidote is swarming the net, but its not a style thats taught much anymore, and players who come in now DONT play the percentages positionally the few times they come in. One of the things i notice when novak plays is the moment nadal slices that backhand novak goes on the offensive.
yonexforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #71
country flag Haelfix

Haelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
develop superior footspeed and counter forehands with forehands.....make better use of his superior serve and other things which he does better than rafa.....
Sorry, Rafa for whatever reason hard counters so much of what drives the rest of the tour nuts about Roger.

So I mean he returns Fed better than anyone (perhaps only Murray equals him) despite being far from a good returner in general, he deals with Federer's slice and change of paces better than anyone on tour (which is remarkable for an extreme grip), he has no problem running down a lot of his offensive shots or dropshots and his topspin forces Federer to give up court space as its extremely difficult to take early (and Roger hates playing far behind the baseline).

He also anticipates Federer better than anyone I have ever seen, and more or less knows exactly where the ball is going.

Meanwhile his weak but spinny serve troubles Federer more than any other top 20 on tour, and Rafa has one of the best passing shots in history and that hard counters Federer's net abilities.

Its actually quite insane that a player as good as Roger has so much of his arsenal completely nullified by a player who doesn't have a great serve, doesn't have a great return, has a mediocre backhand, and who's forehand (albeit good) was never going to hit as many winners.

But that's tennis... It's always about matchups, and not about paper matchups.
Haelfix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #72
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haelfix View Post
Sorry, Rafa for whatever reason hard counters so much of what drives the rest of the tour nuts about Roger.

So I mean he returns Fed better than anyone (perhaps only Murray equals him) despite being far from a good returner in general, he deals with Federer's slice and change of paces better than anyone on tour (which is remarkable for an extreme grip), he has no problem running down a lot of his offensive shots or dropshots and his topspin forces Federer to give up court space as its extremely difficult to take early (and Roger hates playing far behind the baseline).

He also anticipates Federer better than anyone I have ever seen, and more or less knows exactly where the ball is going.

Meanwhile his weak but spinny serve troubles Federer more than any other top 20 on tour, and Rafa has one of the best passing shots in history and that hard counters Federer's net abilities.

Its actually quite insane that a player as good as Roger has so much of his arsenal completely nullified by a player who doesn't have a great serve, doesn't have a great return, has a mediocre backhand, and who's forehand (albeit good) was never going to hit as many winners.

But that's tennis... It's always about matchups, and not about paper matchups.
in a nutshell, he cannot adapt or change his game.....that is totally his inability and his problem......what do you mean by he 'hates' playing from behind the baseline? as a tennis pro, you have to go by what the situation demands.....that's why i said that he comes off as an egoist who is not prepared to lose by playing out of his comfort zone.....tennis was never about match ups.....it was always about adaptability.....
Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #73
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever can take his cross court forehand early and isn't afraid to attack cross court right back into his FH. Often when Rafa is rushed on the forehand, he will drop it short. Then, the player must have the guts to step in and take the offensive, expect a strong passing shot, and hit a quality volley.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #74
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's is as good as the 1H BH gets. Maybe put him in the body of a bigger man, like Delpo/Berych/Söderling and he would have more strenght and height to hit those shoulder high bounces that are out of his comfort zone. But with low bounces I think Feds BH is excellent vs Nadals FH.

Kuerten? Good yes but also lets up errors not to mention Kuerten was a worse mover than Fed. Nadals forehand would be just as effective vs it and I think Fed is much better at the half-volley and simply much more complete from that side.

Gasquet? Looks good mostly because he loves hitting the BH late way behind the baseline. Allows him to take full swings and find angles for high pace BH winners. But it also hurts his overall game giving away so much court and real top players will always find ways to punish that.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #75
country flag out_grinder
Banned!

out_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Whoever can take his cross court forehand early and isn't afraid to attack cross court right back into his FH. Often when Rafa is rushed on the forehand, he will drop it short. Then, the player must have the guts to step in and take the offensive, expect a strong passing shot, and hit a quality volley.
Murray, with his apparently strong BH, and good volleys should be well equipped to do that.

But he's Nadal's pigeon.

Tsonga is another one who could use this approach when he has a good day with the backhand.

But Djokovic can use another approach and that is simply to out-grind Nadal, put the pressure on Nadal to come up with the winners, laugh in his face when he fails to.
out_grinder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote