Was Mardy Fish right or wrong? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #31
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Mardy Fish right or wrong?

If Ebden was a pure sportsman who holds sportsmanship in the highest regard, he wouldn't have complained to the umpire because he knew he wasn't gonna make it anyway. Even if the umpire called hindrance, Ebden would have said "No. It's fine. I couldn't make the shot anyway"....

But back in reality, yeah, this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Ebden had a play. He probably still wouldn't have made it, he probably wasn't hindered by the call, but Fish's call was way too early, and so the umpire's decision was correct.

I can understand Fish not being happy, it probably was a winning shot from him, but don't be a dumbass, wait for the ball to be clearly dead before making any sort of call like that.
paseo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #32
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stserveace View Post
Mardy Fish down a set and break point at 4-4 in the 2nd hits a fantastic short cross court volley. As his opponent sprinted to the ball, and just before contact, Mardy yells "come on!" assuming he won the point. Ebden, his opponent immediately looks to the umpire to replay the point. The umpire agrees with Ebden and calls for a replay of the point due to obstruction. Mardy approaches the umpire to argue that his "come on" did not effect the outcome of the point. As always the umpire does not change his mind and tells Mardy that the rules state you can not yell out prior to the point being completed.

As we all remember this is very similar to Serena Williams last year at the US Open.

I watched the point 3 times and every time I feel Mardy called out too early. Ebden had a play on the ball and whether he would have made it or not is irrelevant. The rules are the rules. I have to agree with the umpire on this one.

I'm sure Mardy is more mad at himself today. He should know better then to yell out before the point is over.

What do you think? Was Mardy right wanting the point awarded to him or was the umpire correct?
Mardy's an idiot, it would be one thing if he had yelled AS Ebden was hitting the ball, but he literally yells WAY beforehand. he yells out when Ebden is running mid-court and seconds pass after Fish's loud noise. it was just a foolish thing to do and for all we know it did affect Ebden's hit on the ball. Matthew certainly seemed upset after hitting the ball from the noice as he glanced and yelled at the ump.

Ebden managed to direct the ball towards the net from an awkward angle so who's to say without the noise and a little more concentration, he couldn't have hit it in?

I used to like Fish a lot because I thought he was a class act, but over the past few years, ironically as he has risen up the rankings and has gotten into 'shape', his personality has gotten worse and he begun to become a clown that has a horrible personality.

hopeful he tumbles in the rankings, because a player with his class does not deserve success

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #33
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Waddle View Post
Mardy Fish and Andy Roddick might be nice people outside the tennis court, I have no idea. But their pathetic attitude against referees is just disgraceful, especially since they are wrong 90 percent of their arguments.
at least Andy Roddick is entertaining when he gets upset, Mardy Fish is just an ass hole

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #34
country flag swebright

swebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond repute

Fish can't be right.
swebright is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #35
country flag Marc23

Marc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond reputeMarc23 has a reputation beyond repute

At the US Open Serena actually lost the point for doing the same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1FlBcdi1c

Serena vs. Stosur
Marc23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #36
country flag Nixer

Nixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
Fish was wrong, umpire was right. It was a hindrance because regardless of whether you can't get the ball or not, you can't celebrate until the point is over. Should have kept his mouth shut, but then again, he's American .
I'm pretty sure screaming right after hitting a clean winner (when opponent has no chance of getting to the ball) doesn't (and shouldn't) get punished - and is frequently done by the players.
Nixer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #37
country flag navy75

navy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKiefer44 View Post
When did he call Gasquet a "fag"? And why? It was malicious?
It was several years ago at the USO. Mardy was in the crowd watching Ginepri play Gasquet, and was so drunk and disruptive that security actually got called his way.

I'm not sure if there is any way that calling someone that is not malicious, but no one should take it too personally. Fish was always one of those guys on the challenger circuit that ran with a couple of the other "good old boys," and loved to talk trash about everyone even then too. I'd like to speculate that he's grown up on the immature/a**hole front, but based on his actions this past year I severely doubt it (and if anything he's probably gotten worse).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett
This is about the 4th post you've made today.
navy75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #38
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Fish was a dumbass and then proceeded to make himself look like even more of a dumbass after his chat with the umpire.

Ajde.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #39
Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond reputeBeat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stserveace View Post
As always the umpire does not change his mind and tells Mardy that the rules state you can not yell out prior to the point being completed.
i don't have more to add, it's a clear rule. i mean, it's logical you can't scream "come on!" during a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy75 View Post
he was wrong to call Gasquet a "fag,"
he did?? source?

Last edited by Beat : 03-14-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #40
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

If I were the umpire, I'd disqualify Fish from the match entirely for being such a disagreeable mug.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #41
country flag cmoss

cmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond repute

So there are 2 empty slots of Fish & Tipsa in the top 10 for Isner and another guy.
cmoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #42
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixer View Post
I'm pretty sure screaming right after hitting a clean winner (when opponent has no chance of getting to the ball) doesn't (and shouldn't) get punished - and is frequently done by the players.
Hindrance is when you celebrate/scream/vamos/adje/cmon or what-have-you, when the ball hasn't double bounced yet -- it doesn't matter whether or not there is a chance to get the ball, it's downright rude. Fish got rooted for that, and thoroughly deserved his punishment.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #43
country flag Nixer

Nixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond reputeNixer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
Hindrance is when you celebrate/scream/vamos/adje/cmon or what-have-you, when the ball hasn't double bounced yet -- it doesn't matter whether or not there is a chance to get the ball, it's downright rude. Fish got rooted for that, and thoroughly deserved his punishment.
I think it does matter - for example if Fish made a clean dropshot and Ebden would be behind the baseline and wouldn't move for it - nobody would've argued with Mardy's celebration. Same story as if umpire overrules clean winner as OUT, and Hawk Eye shows that it's IN, the point gets awarded and not replayed - there was no chance of returning the ball anyway, the other player didn't get hindered by umpire's call.

I've just seen Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. celebrate right after they hit the ball for a winner - it's really depends on if the ball can be played by opponent or not.
Nixer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #44
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Fish isn't very smart. He needs a new grunt when he hits those shots. Then he can just use a "celebration grunt" slightly after the ball is hit. He can also raise his leg, spin around, fist pump, beat his chest or whatever. Just don't do like THAT, because that was soooooooo distracting. But maybe if he did "come on" after every shot he hit the umpire would let it fly eventually
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #45
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixer View Post
I think it does matter - for example if Fish made a clean dropshot and Ebden would be behind the baseline and wouldn't move for it - nobody would've argued with Mardy's celebration. Same story as if umpire overrules clean winner as OUT, and Hawk Eye shows that it's IN, the point gets awarded and not replayed - there was no chance of returning the ball anyway, the other player didn't get hindered by umpire's call.

I've just seen Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. celebrate right after they hit the ball for a winner - it's really depends on if the ball can be played by opponent or not.
That's because the opposition either didn't bother to get it, or they tried to get it but they, for example, stretched for it but missed it and the ball goes past the opponent and goes to the stands/wall....then they celebrate.

The rule still stands. If you have the chance to even touch the ball before it bounces twice (but NOT necessarily having the chance to get it back), it is still hindrance if you celebrate before the point is over.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote