Which players do you believe have the best/worst footwork? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which players do you believe have the best/worst footwork?

So, I believe that in today's game, footwork is potentially the biggest difference-maker in terms of separating the elite from the rest of the pack. Having sharp footwork, especially given the slowness of most courts today, puts players in the correct positions to hit the shots they want to, on balance and in control of their bodies and contact points, ultimately giving players better control of where they direct their shots, more power on their groundstrokes, with less risk of missing and putting themselves in better position for returning shots in a rally. Having good footwork allows a player to explode into the ball offensively more fluidly and easily, and makes it easier to absorb the pace of your opponent, for counter-punching purposes, in a neutral rally or if you're on the defense.

The reason I ask this is because watching the Golubev vs Djokovic match, the difference in footwork was night and day. Golubev has all the power in the world, but Djokovic could easily move Golubev out of position and blunt his power. Golubev would end up hitting an error in these positions when stretched out, as he doesn't have the footwork to set himself up and get in position when not able to stand flat-footed and throw himself into a ball. Whereas Djokovic's footwork gives him so many options, both offensively and defensively. Djokovic is able to hit powerful, deep shots from defensive positions because his footwork is so crisp and cat-like quick.

Anyway, to get to it, which players do you all believe have the best AND worst footwork in the game? Do you think some players who have elite clay footwork aren't as good with their HC footwork, and vise versa? Do you think some players have a proficiency for moving on grass that separates them from others? Do you consider some of the players with poor footwork lazy, or is it because they just happen to be big and/or slow? Answer up and give your reasons why you selected the players you chose for both categories.

Last edited by Filo V. : 03-11-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which players do you believe have the best/worst footwork?

Del Potro and Davydenko can't move on grass at all. There are so many different aspects of this it's not funny. Other surfaces del Po moves well for his size.

Roddick can't move on clay he looks like a rhino on ice skates.

Some guys just can't defend and their footwork sucks in that regard this would be Almagro, Verdasco and Giraldo.

Isner for his size is a very good mover, whereas Karlovic isn't.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

Best-Roger Federer
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a difference between movement and footwork. Blake has excellent speed, but I think his footwork overall is average. I know it's WTA but Serena Williams is/was sort of the same way. Tons of natural speed, but bad footwork. You can be fast yet not have the footwork to actually take advantage of that. Monfils I don't think has great footwork, because he gets knocked off balance quite often from the baseline, plus he uses his movement in a defensive way. On the flip-side, Berdych isn't the fastest of players, but when he's playing well he's got great footwork and that gives him the ability to hit his clean groundstrokes.

Then you have guys like Roddick who aren't that fast and that shows up in their footwork as well.

I know that there are so many aspects that come with it, though.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Federer. The man sort of invented and consolidated a shot's place in the modern game based on footwork alone - the in-to-in FH.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer has excellent footwork. It's how he is able to use his smaller frame to get behind many of his shots and push larger players with more power around the court.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Federer at his peak was brilliant. Monfils just doesn't know what game to play and has poor footwork.

The guys I said before all have poor footwork in their own way, you can tell how they hit the ball when they aren't set.

Ferrer even he defends has excellent footwork. Djokovic is solid.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Best- Federer, Ferrer, Djokovic
Worst- Verdasco/ Roddick period, Almagro off clay, Davydenko on bad days just lets balls land right at his feet and mishits them to Antartica but can be one of best when on

Karlovic is shit, but what do you expect and volley footwork is solid, Isner is amazing for height

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
country flag Stronga23

Stronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond reputeStronga23 has a reputation beyond repute

Monfils has poor offensive footwork.

Stronga,Monfils,DelPo,Nalbandian,Berdych,Gulbis,Ha as and Djokovic are the players I support the most.
Stronga23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #10
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

there is a difference between offensive footwork and defensive footwork. Davydenko has great offensive footwork but isn't as sharp defensively. Nadal has great defensive footwork, while Federer uses more offensive footwork.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Gimeno-Traver has awful footwork on his backhand side. He doesn't stay down on the ball or generate enough racquet head speed. It doesn't help when he isn't in position to hit the ball.

Dolgopolov has excellent footwork.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #12
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal is underrented here.

I've always though Kohlschreber was good also.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Agree on Dolgo, AJ. He's got really quick feet and he takes the little steps to get to the ball; you can hear his shoes when he plays. Ferrer, Djokovic and Nadal come to mind in that regard. That's a good sign. I think Rafa's footwork gets sloppy, though.

Fish has disastrous footwork on his forehand when he's tight, when conditions aren't favorable and/or playing poorly, but his backhand footwork is textbook.

My guy Volandri has awesome footwork on clay.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #14
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

When Nalbandian is in shape and motivated, he's another guy with great offensive footwork and underrated defensive footwork as well.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #15
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Mikey Russell, Björn Phau and Ferrero at his peak very good footwork as well. Melzer is underrented when it comes to good footwork.

The Fog is an example of a very fast player but very lazy.

Monfils best footwork comes on the dancefloor.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1