Novak Djokovic: "I think the courts are a little bit slower" - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #61
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak Djokovic: "I think the courts are a little bit slower"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/T...c-Preview.aspx

“You need to play lots of matches and you play against best players in the world. The conditions here are suitable to my style of the game. I think the courts are a little bit slower, which I like and prefer better, so I'm looking forward to this week.”

We haven't had any coverage yet, but it looks like the courts will be EVEN slower this year

Indian Wells
Nice job Charlie Pasarell

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #62
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Glacial pace= Wimbledon 92 compared to IW 2012

As for the quote, Nole might be comparing IW to Dubai, but if he did, he probably would say that IW is much slower, not "a little bit slower". And, if IW is only "a little bit slower" than Dubai, that means that IW has been sped up?

Therefore I think he is referring to IW 2012 vs. IW 2011 or earlier.
Nole only said "a little bit slower" in order to mitigate the disastrous effects such a statement will have on the fast court proponents. Does not want to be the sole cause in inducing mass hysteria.
“But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.” - Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #63
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
There's nothing in between all serve matches, and 6 hour grind fests? What's wrong with a medium speed court?
well if every court is going to be medium slow thats bad too. having equally distributed court speeds across masters event sounds good to me. slams is I think find as it is now, you have slow hard, clay, grass and fast US open. slowing down wimbledon and usopen (which I still havent read a scientific analysis for), if it did happen, I dont think is really wrong, cause the rackets today would produce even bigger serve fest than in the past. we'd be watching isner karlovic finals.

so basically mixing it up on the masters level is what I think is needed.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #64
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
meh, Djokovic would do just fine on any kind of courts. I'm kinda tired of all of this 'court talk'.
affirmative.

it is usually those with the CSB ----Cant Stop Bitching--- syndrome who cry the loudest about the court speeds here.

nothing is ever right for them. if their player loses 1 single match then they say it had to be due to the lack of court speed.

its all about the gift from the gods and then what you do with it. it is about the talent and the drive more than anything.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #65
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
most novak and rafa fans dont want faster surfaces (me excluded), guessing its similar with fans of clay court players, and "casual fans" who purely watch the sport on telly, ask them and they for sure wouldnt like all serve matches, thats boring and the reason why they slowed the courts in the first place. beside tennis appears to be at an all time high viewers-wise.

again, thats not to say the complaint in itself isnt right, it is, but whats popping up on forums such as MTF is in large measure an exaggeration coming from, lets call em, non rafa-djoko fans. I mean there is a tardish element in it, thats my impression.
Well, as someone who started watching in tennis properly at the beginning of the 00s and who never knew the all-serve fests, I find the current courts disgraceful. As for viewers being at an all-time peak, the cause is not natural.

A lot of marketing money has been put into making tennis an attractive package. I'd argue that tennis (if it indeed is enjoying this all-time highs you claim it is as I know USO 2010 had lower viewing figures than USO 2009) has been changed to suit the networks (and time wasting prevents that) so that is one reason why viewing figures are high. Viewing figures cannot always measure the interest in the sport or at least are not easily comparable between eras as the ATP has changed.

And tbh, I'm sure Djoko would do fine on any court but I'd like to see him play on Dubai-like courts as opposed to the IW ones.

Last edited by Looner : 03-10-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #66
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure he's referring to IW speed in comparison to last year, but rather the courts of Dubai. It feels like he's saying 'The conditions here are more suitable to my style of game (unlike Dubai); the courts here are a little bit slower, you see.'
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #67
country flag Rafa is the GOAT

Rafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond reputeRafa is the GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

If we continue like this RG will be the fastest tourny
Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #68
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone that thinks faster courts mean all-serve matches and finalists, who got to the semis of Dubai?
Two aggressive baseliners, and two (let's say) counterpunchers.
The final was mostly medium length baseline exchanges between Fed and Muzz.
There were 4 aces from Fed, 7 from Muzz in the entire match.
Fed won 75% and Muzz won 65% of points behind the 1st serve, and take 10% off those for the 2nd serve stats.

Dubai is not the fastest court in the world, but it's a nice, medium fast speed that allows for attacking play (including S&V) as well as a certain amount of defending /retrieving.

The stats surely indicate that it was not a servefest, despite the serve being important. Certainly, it wasn't an acefest.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #69
country flag Gabe32

Gabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond repute

2 things:

One, I think that hard courts have been slowed down somewhat.

Two, this comment seems like it was made in passing. Making every afterthought a player has a headline gets to be a little too much after awhile.

I wonder if an official conspiracy theory can actually be correct and still be considered a conspiracy theory. Because this whole "slow court" thing has all the fanaticism of a conspiracy theory.

Everyone knows!! Hard courts are getting slower.

Last edited by Gabe32 : 03-10-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Gabe32 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #70
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
It doesn't matter because Nole will dish out another win against Rafa anyway, regardless .
I don't get the Nadal fans who all think that the best way to be a fan is too practically give up on Nadal or jinx him into victory? I am a fan of his and after that extremely close Australian Open if anything it shows he will win against Djokovic again and that he is still working very hard at his game.

as for the court speeds, this is not particularly surprising and it certainly does make you feel bad for the more attacking players such as Berdych/Tsonga/etc. the influence of top players on the ATP these days is getting very strong and I suppose it doesn't hurt revenue if matches are not over very quickly

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #71
country flag EddieNero
Banned!

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

You know the court is too fast If you can hit a winner on it.
Good decision from the organizers, I want to see some unprecedented moonballing and grinding.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #72
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

I think he is a great bit right.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #73
country flag yavore

yavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond reputeyavore has a reputation beyond repute

Pls move this thread to > "I'm embacil and I'd love to hold federina nuts (if she had ones)" he he
yavore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #74
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
I don't get the Nadal fans who all think that the best way to be a fan is too practically give up on Nadal or jinx him into victory? I am a fan of his and after that extremely close Australian Open if anything it shows he will win against Djokovic again and that he is still working very hard at his game.

as for the court speeds, this is not particularly surprising and it certainly does make you feel bad for the more attacking players such as Berdych/Tsonga/etc. the influence of top players on the ATP these days is getting very strong and I suppose it doesn't hurt revenue if matches are not over very quickly
again, kudos to Nadal for his effort. I really enjoyed the match. If they speed up the courts, Djokovic would probably adapt (he is good at that) and benefit at the end. As much as I think that Berdych and Tsonga are great players they would gain nothing... the top guys are just too good.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #75
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

Every tournament seems to get slower and slower with every year from players tells... what's going on
nole_no1 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote