Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #46
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
That's right mate Don't know what's gotten into Fed of late

i think nadal is also guilty of saying fairly meaningless shit in the past but he seldom goes after the other superstars.

they are both all time greats. i dont understand why they both cant keep quiet and let their racquets do the talking.

nadal is not terribly bright and his english is limited so he says stuff that gets misinterpreted. or he just doesnt know what the hell he wants to say. reporters force him to say something so he does.

now fed knows better. fed speaks perfect english and a few other languages as well. and he has his 16 slams. now he has won 33 of his last 35 matches. we all admire his game and we hope he stays in the sport forever.

but one thing you dont do when you are a king is to trash your fellow kings: you treat a king like a king. it can come back to haunt you if you dont.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #47
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting

Quote:
All Rafa is saying is that no one is a robot. The umpire is not just there to parrot the rules...they can get machines to do that. It's ridiculous to enforce the rule after a 50 stroke rally in the 5th set of a 5 hour match of high quality. Umpires have brains they need to use them.

best post in this thread. period.

and now this matter is over.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #48
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

why oh why is this turning into yet another "my idol's point is better than your idol's"-thread?

Federer is right. The rule is there, it is not being enforced. Nadal is basically agreeing with him, but is simply stating that if the rule is not applied, he's not gonna bother to live up to it.

That being said, imo they have 2 options, either enforce the rule, or scratch it from the books. I personally prefer the former, but would like to see the time alowed between points go up to 25 seconds to account for gruesome rallies (of which I am not a fan btw)
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #49
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All Rafa is saying no one is a robot. The umpire is not just there to parrot the rules...they can get machines to do that. It's ridiculous to enforce the rule after a 50 stroke rally in the 5th set of a 5 hour match of high quality. Umpires have brains they need to use them.
Actually thats exactly what they are meant to do most of the time, with some discretion of course. I doubt an umpire has ever given out a time violation after a 50 stroke rally. If you think Nadal only takes long between points after 50 shot rallies you need to use your brain too, if you have one.

Its not cheating though if an umpire can see it clearly and lets it happens. Unless of course you are calling the umpire a cheat as well.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #50
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
why oh why is this turning into yet another "my idol's point is better than your idol's"-thread?

Federer is right. The rule is there, it is not being enforced. Nadal is basically agreeing with him, but is simply stating that if the rule is not applied, he's not gonna bother to live up to it.

That being said, imo they have 2 options, either enforce the rule, or scratch it from the books. I personally prefer the former, but would like to see the time alowed between points go up to 25 seconds to account for gruesome rallies (of which I am not a fan btw)
BEST POST YET!

Rafa's response leaves alot to be desired...he's an ambassador of the game and one of the all time greats who's affectively said if I can get away with cheating than so be it
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #51
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Allez why am i smelling sour grapes from some of these mad federereeeeeeeeesians here?

i have no problem with the smart, objective, and thoughtful federereeeeeeeesians of course. they are among my friends here at mtf as you know.

Last edited by Clay Death : 03-09-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #52
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Actually thats exactly what they are meant to do most of the time, with some discretion of course. I doubt an umpire has ever given out a time violation after a 50 stroke rally. If you think Nadal only takes long between points after 50 shot rallies you need to use your brain too, if you have one.

Its not cheating though if an umpire can see it clearly and lets it happens. Unless of course you are calling the umpire a cheat as well.
Not sure what you're talking about. Re-read my post especially the bit you've chosen to highlight and tell me how in essence it differs from what I've highlighted in your own reply. If an umpire does not enforce the rule after a 50 shot rally it means they are using their brains an not just following the rule book...which is essentially what Nadal is saying. There has to be context to the intelligent application of rules.
Allez is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #53
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Roger was being asked a question, he tells the truth and gets the subsequent bashing.

NID.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #54
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Hey CD years back the same fans defended Fed's barbed comments in the past e.g. one dimensional nadal...probably one of the biggest motivating factors for Rafa in their early duels. Epic fail there mate. I had hoped that Rogi had learnt his lesson...
Allez is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #55
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure what you're talking about. Re-read my post especially the bit you've chosen to highlight and tell me how in essence it differs from what I've highlighted in your own reply. If an umpire does not enforce the rule after a 50 shot rally it means they are using their brains an not just following the rule book...which is essentially what Nadal is saying. There has to be context to the intelligent application of rules.
Do you not know what "with some discretion" means or just have issues with reading comprehension? Obviously a 50 shot rally would be an instance where an umpire would use discretion and let the rule go. The issue is that the majority of them never enforce the rule. There is no application of the rule, let alone an intelligent one. At this point a robot parrot would be more useful for Nadal matches - at least it would call him out on it every second point.

Nadal trying to make it sound like he only does it to recover after a grueling point is pretty funny. Guy should do stand up when he retires.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #56
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post

Actually, I remember at the AO well into the 4th set of Harrison-Murray after a fairly long rally, Harrison got a time warning for taking to long to serve. Which, considering how he was being ran around by Murray for hours in the Australia heat, was pretty damn ridiculous. Nadal averaged 29 seconds against some nobody in the next round and didn't receive a single warning.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #57
country flag Gabe32

Gabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post

notice how Rafa STARTED time-wasting from his first serves game and in THE FIRST SET and not after "a 20+ rally point in the fourth set"
Does anyone know if that first comment under the video is correct ...

"They were putting that as an excuse when Nadal lost to Fed. "Nadal had played a (5?) hours match and was tired." They only played 59 min of tennis on that match."

That's pretty crazy if it is true.
Gabe32 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #58
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Hey CD years back the same fans defended Fed's barbed comments in the past e.g. one dimensional nadal...probably one of the biggest motivating factors for Rafa in their early duels. Epic fail there mate. I had hoped that Rogi had learnt his lesson...

well i follow college football and the NFL here in america and have been doing that for years. i know for a fact that the athletes use anything negative that is directed at them as motivation.

coaches themselves post that shit all over locker rooms so the players can see it coming and going. they make damn sure that they talk about what was directed at them at every team meeting before the next game.

people mocked and ridiculed tim tebow and he lead his team to the playoffs anyway and he managed to derail the steelers with that 80 year TD pass. he passed for 316 yards in that game.

some steelers had mocked and ridiculed him earler in the season. some chicago players also mocked him by making fun of his "tebowing" and stuff. some detroit lions said he was a joke.

now tim is a humble guy and a very smart guy and he took the high road. but deep inside it drove him to do better and prove them wrong.

bottom line: dont go after your fellow players if you dont have to.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #59
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute

in a german article about this interview (http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland...rafung/3838444) roger said it's normal that he also break this rule, but no one reminded the players. so fed doesn't complain especially about nadal.
Johnbert is online now View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #60
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Bitter old fool. Can't handle getting his ass handed to him every single time because that evil genius takes a couple seconds more to serve.

Poor Rogie

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread