Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #31
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting

If this statement wasn't made by Roger how many people would disagree with that request in this forum?

only a handful of umpires have actually called Rafa out on this....the thing is nole is not as bad as he use to be he doesn't bounce the ball as much but Rafa refuses to play within the rules of the game -

the AO final could've been played in half the time if it wasn't for the time wasting
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #32
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer: I can't believe the umpires don't punish Rafa for his time wasting

On ESPN they mentioned during Nadal's matches at the AO he averaged over 30 seconds between points- not after long points, but after every point. It's obviously intentional gamesmanship.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #33
country flag v-money

v-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have a link to Nadal's response? I read it sometime earlier today but can't find it now.

Edit:

Found it. link:http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...16795&zoneid=6

Quote:
Rafael Nadal responded to Roger Federer's comments that the time taken in between points is being violated and that officials do not properly enforce it enough. At the Grand Slams, the ITF allows 20 seconds between points, while the ATP allows 25 seconds.

Federer said on Wednesday that, "I'm not complaining a lot, but I don't know how you can go through a four-hour match with Rafa [Nadal] and he never gets a time violation."

On Thursday at Indian Wells, Nadal responded by saying: "The rules are there, but we cannot expect to play six hours and play rallies of crazy points and rest for 20 seconds for nobody. If the umpire considers that he has to put a warning because the player is not doing the right thing between points, I think the players have to accept. The rule is there but I think it is more the [interpretation] of the umpire, that's my way to understand the rule. Everyone understands different ways and you can understand to some its 15 seconds under normal conditions. But you have to understand how the match goes and that's the role of the umpire. They have given me a lot of warnings in my career and I have accepted almost every one, because sometimes they are right, and the same for Novak [Djokovic] having to do it a few times, too. It's part of the game and we have to follow the rules, but we don't have to [put blinders on]."—MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
Just keep [t]rolling Bernard, just keep [t]rolling my man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchFederer View Post
Keep [t]rolling Bernard, keep [t]rolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
tomic just keep on [t]rolling
v-money is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #34
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal's excuse lacks reason. If it was about individual points, no big deal.

But Rafa's average time between points exceeds the limit by 150-200 per cent.

Figure don't lie. (Oh but Rafa and his tards do.)
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #35
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
If this statement wasn't made by Roger how many people would disagree with that request in this forum?

only a handful of umpires have actually called Rafa out on this....the thing is nole is not as bad as he use to be he doesn't bounce the ball as much but Rafa refuses to play within the rules of the game -
I hate Roger and find him graceless and a bad sport, but I agree entirely with him on this.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #36
country flag dabeast

dabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't the first time Fed's called out Nadal for his antics. and completely warranted. The Spaniard gets away with this bullshite far too easily.
"Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever."
dabeast is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #37
country flag v-money

v-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to point out that Nadal's response is incoherent. He probably should have answered in Spanish instead of this rambling mess.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #38

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
who cares what Rog thinks. the fact that Nadal takes few more secs in between points is simply not that important.
I guess the journalists who ask the questions care? tennis fans around the world care! And Rafa doesn't take a few seconds he takes many seconds to serve it disturbs the tempo of the game and needlessly pro-longs the match

Rod Laver

Quote:
It does not matter if you are number one in the world or number 500, one must respect the rules of the game and there is nothing more discourteous than a player hiding behind his ranking to get away with poor sportsmanship and rule breaking - if the rules say serve within 20 seconds than 20 seconds or so it is
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #39
country flag v-money

Maybe I do understand what Nadal is saying. To paraphrase: "I'm allowed to break the rules as long as I'm tired and other players are doing it, no? I'll even admit to taking too much time and being fairly penalized for it, but guess what...the chair umpires don't have enough balls to do it consistently. This in not my fault, no?'

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #40

Rafa's response

Quote:
"The rules are there, but we cannot expect to play six hours and play rallies of crazy points and rest for 20 seconds for nobody. If the umpire considers that he has to put a warning because the player is not doing the right thing between points, I think the players have to accept. The rule is there but I think it is more the [interpretation] of the umpire, that's my way to understand the rule. Everyone understands different ways and you can understand to some its 15 seconds under normal conditions. But you have to understand how the match goes and that's the role of the umpire. They have given me a lot of warnings in my career and I have accepted almost every one, because sometimes they are right, and the same for Novak [Djokovic] having to do it a few times, too. It's part of the game and we have to follow the rules, but we don't have to [put blinders on]."—MC
Old 03-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #41
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
that was pretty much the clay warrior`s reply to this. he said in a match that lasts 6 hours and has many rallies, it should be left to the chair umpires discretion.

looking at it that way, clay warrior is right.

also i dont understand why Fed is complaining. he is the one who has won 33 of this last 35 matches so life is good.

and its not like he is running into nadal in the finals of slams either.

why not let the sleeping dogs do their thing. leave the sleeping dogs alone.

pissing off your main adversaries is never good as far as i am concerned. they can use it as a bit of a motivation.

finally the best of the best do have those certain rights. they deserve that for having scaled the summit.

no-djok actually took more time than the clay warrior at the Oz final but it is ok. he has earned that right.

and as i said, he is the one who is engaging in these brutal 6 hour battles so why the hell not take a few extra seconds to collect yourself.
That's right mate Don't know what's gotten into Fed of late
Allez is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #42
country flag dabeast

dabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond repute

after reading Nadal's response, kinda like what the hell?? He's basically saying as long as he doesn't get penalized for time-wasting, he'll just keep doing the same thing, towel down-wedgie-ball-bounce-tuck headband-serve. who cares about "rules" when the ump won't even call him out.
"Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever."
dabeast is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #43
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

This is just another example of the press doing SELECTIVE QUOTING. It is a lot less harsh when you read the full thing and he even says he himself ought to be warned sometimes.

Quote:
Federer: Time violations not being enforced
Ticker - Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Roger Federer says that the time taken in between points is being violated and that officials do not properly enforce it enough. At the Grand Slams, The ITF allows 20 seconds between points, while the ATP allows 25 at its tournaments.
"I do believe the officials could be a bit more tough on timing," he told reporters at Indian Wells. "I'm not complaining a lot, but I don’t know how you can go through a four-hour match with Rafa [Nadal] and he never gets a time violation. It’s natural that even I would go over time, but they never remind us. There are times when they could be a bit more firm. Because at the end of the day, I don’t know if fans are getting frustrated to watch five points that are going to take us five minutes."
However, Federer is not in favor of installing shot clock.
"I hope it does not go that far. All of us should be able to agree of something that is possible. But you don’t want to lose fans because of that."

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...6783&zoneid=25
These things just have to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's not like he suddenly started ranting in his presser like the quote in the title implies.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #44
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

All Rafa is saying is that no one is a robot. The umpire is not just there to parrot the rules...they can get machines to do that. It's ridiculous to enforce the rule after a 50 stroke rally in the 5th set of a 5 hour match of high quality. Umpires have brains they need to use them.
Allez is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #45

notice how Rafa STARTED time-wasting from his first serves game and in THE FIRST SET and not after "a 20+ rally point in the fourth set"
Closed Thread