Who's Going? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WTF yay or nay

Go, it's awesome 8 33.33%
I'll be there 8 33.33%
I was going but if you do I Defo won't 5 20.83%
No go, been there, it's terrible 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone going to the World Tour Finals??

It's a fantastic experience - I thoroughly recommend it.

I went in 2010 and was fortunate to see a few matches - Ferrer vs Federer (round robin), Roddick vs Nadal (round robin), Federer vs Djokovic (SF - the last match Djokovic lost before going on his winning streak), Murray vs Nadal (semi final - one of the most tense 3 set matches I've seen) and Nadal vs Federer (final - Rafa had won the last 3 slams that year but Fed was firing on all cylinders, particularly his backhand).

As for tips:

1) Go early to beat the crowds and try and get a seat by one of the two smaller practice courts in the fun zones towards the back of the complex. It's amazing how close you can actually get (feel free to explore some of the other exhibitions in between matches too).

2) Hang around the main practice court before crowds gather as you won't be able to see much otherwise.

3) The doubles matches are scheduled before the singles, but try and see if you can pop into the main arena an hour or so before the doubles match starts (especially in the evening session) because the chances are that one of the top players might have booked it for practice. I did this and managed to see Roddick and Murray practice their serving. I also did this on the afternoon of the final and saw Federer warming up against Verdasco.

Tip: Move over by the corner where the players enter / exit and you may be lucky enough to get an autograph at the end of their practice session...I managed to get Fed to sign my ticket for the final.

4) A fair few former tennis legends are on site doing media commitments. If you see one just wandering about, pluck up the courage and have a quick chat! One lady was telling me how she just went up to Goran Ivanisevic and said how he was her favourite player and he gave her an autograph and went to get a coffee with her.

5) There are many outlets to have lunch at but be smart and get out of the arena quickly after play finishes in the day session or else you might have to wait ages to get food - and miss watching the players doing some fun stuff in between sessions.

6) Similar to the above, but in the evenings. Although they have brought forward the evening sessions a bit, a tense 3 set singles match can mean that there is an almighty rush to catch the last train. Don't hang about when the matches are finished (unless you are in a spot where you can try to get an autograph).

PS: Do go to the doubles matches as well - they really appreciate playing in front of larger crowds than they are used to, even though the arena is usually half empty for doubles matches. Anyway, your ticket price includes doubles, so why skip it?

Last edited by ApproachShot : 09-09-2012 at 06:57 PM.
ApproachShot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
country flag toby1526

toby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond reputetoby1526 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone going to the World Tour Finals??

I've been every year to london to watch the final. I saw Davydenko play his best and beat Delpo, Federer beat Nadal in a close 3 setter and then Federer against Tsonga last year which was the best atmosphere. Don't sit in the upper tier as you cant seen it well, lower tier or dont go i'd say. I am going lower tier to the final again this year.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
country flag Wojtek

Wojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's Going?

i'm going for whole monday and tuesday
Wojtek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #19
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute
Default So how does the schedule work?

I've never really paid attention to the practicalities of the WTF before, but getting to the O2 has got rather easier for me in the last few years, and I was wondering about trying for one of the day sessions, if tickets are still available. Is there a specific pattern of matches, a mix of singles and doubles at all sessions, or what? I'm more than happy to watch doubles: they're often more interesting than singles. And what sort of time do the day sessions end? I might have to get somewhere else for the evening. (Sorry if this has been asked in previous years: please do point me to a suitable thread if there is one)

Oh, and any recommendations for what magnification binoculars you need for viewing from the nosebleed seats?
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #20
country flag Rogieva
You can never have enough

Rogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need any binoculars for nose bleed seats! As long as you have a good eye then they are fabulous!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #21
country flag Rogieva

Rogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond repute

I am going all day Weds and Thurs!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #22
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogieva View Post
You don't need any binoculars for nose bleed seats! As long as you have a good eye then they are fabulous!
Not that I do, but thanks . (Oh, and you need a head for heights, I understand). I've only ever watched ballet in the O2, so have no idea about tennis, although I bet the Royal Albert Hall is better
Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
country flag Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond reputeCheeky Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Not that I do, but thanks . (Oh, and you need a head for heights, I understand). I've only ever watched ballet in the O2, so have no idea about tennis, although I bet the Royal Albert Hall is better
I'm not good with heights, but was up there last year...about 10 rows back from the front.

The view was great, and I had no problem with it being so high......

I'm going this year, on the Thursday, both sessions, back to ground level though. I think about 5 rows from the court

TT-Doubles 134th 2013 Won Sao Paulo R/Up Poznan, '12 Won-Delray Beach, AO-3R, R/up Kazan, Bucharest, Busan, Tampere 2011 Winston-Salem,Tampere,RU Costa do Sauipe
DTT-Singles 15th,Doubles 1st 2014 AO,RG, Wimbledon '10 Cherbourg,Meknes,Tanger, RU Palermo,Bergamo,Burnie,SaoPaulo

Suicide Tennis 31st, '13 Washington, Stockholm, , 2011 Sydney (2010 Dubai & Doha)
FITD 4th, 2014 RG, 2013 Washington 2011 Belgrade......PAW 47th 2012 Chennai, Beijing 2011 Munich, R/up Bangkok(2010 Toronto)
Cheeky Chick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #24
country flag alypen

Oh good, thanks. Might give it a try if there are any tix left.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
country flag Flying Fox

Flying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Fox has a reputation beyond repute

Last year there were some really good tickets released just before the tournament. I booked months in advance and would have got better tickets had I waited, so this year I waited. I'm hoping to go on the Thursday and Friday evenings, but they're sold out at the moment so I don't know if it will happen.

I went on the first day last year and saw Federer v Tsonga from the upper level and Nadal v Fish from the lower level. The upper seats are fine and actually have their advantages in terms of the angles you can watch the play from, but the lower seats are fantastic as you're so close to the action.
Flying Fox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #26
country flag Rogieva

I agree

Also, my friend accidentally perforated the stub of his tickets he got yesterday. Should be have trouble using the ticket to get in? I mean he has paid for the seat and a little mistake such as this should not be an issue right?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #27
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Got all day wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
country flag alypen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogieva View Post
Also, my friend accidentally perforated the stub of his tickets he got yesterday. Should be have trouble using the ticket to get in? I mean he has paid for the seat and a little mistake such as this should not be an issue right?
When you say perforated, do you mean he's separated the ticket from the stub? I'd assume that if he brings both there shouldn't be a problem. I know that the O2's rules for issuing duplicates are pretty stingy, though.

BTW, anyone got any answers to the first part of my question in post no. 19?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #29
country flag Rogieva

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
When you say perforated, do you mean he's separated the ticket from the stub? I'd assume that if he brings both there shouldn't be a problem. I know that the O2's rules for issuing duplicates are pretty stingy, though.

BTW, anyone got any answers to the first part of my question in post no. 19?
Yes. The stub is now separate from the main ticket. They are both in mint condition. I don't think it should be a problem, if he takes both with them, I seem to remember once they look at your ticket the guard perforated it and keep the stub, so your just saving them a job

I have been the last two years so I can tell you about the schedule.

Usually doors open up about 10:30-10:45. The afternoon session START at 12 noon, where a doubles will be played first, so after a warm up etc the doubles with start about 12:20, finish roughly about 2ish. Then you will watch one singles. Could be a easy match or epic 3 hours. So its hard to say when it will end. Once it has, they will clear the 02 in preparation for the evening sessions which I think start at 6pm, which involve again a doubles followed by a singles.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #30
country flag Rogieva

Also advice to anyone, bring food!

The prices in the 02 are absolutely ridiculous. £4 for a bag of sweets, bottle of coke is about £3, sandwiches £7...so expensive!