Top 4: Who will be first to win his next 2 majors? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will be first to win his next 2 majors?

Andrew Murray [4] (GBR) 2 3.03%
Roger Federer [3] (SUI) 8 12.12%
Rafael Nadal [2] (ESP) 14 21.21%
Novak Djokovic [1] (SRB) 40 60.61%
None of them will win 2 more majors 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #31
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 4: Who will be first to win his next 2 majors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
The number of players who have retired while they still are in the top 5 is one and his name is Borg, players dont like to retire as long as they still have some energy deposit left to spend, most will play until they are forced to leave by might and body decay, almost no player choses to retire.
Notice I said if- I don't think him winning again is especially likely. And while now Fed seems pretty entrenched in the 4, I don't think he'll be able to bounce back from illness or injury like the others at his age, and could fall out pretty rapidly.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #32
country flag FedvsNole

FedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond reputeFedvsNole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Granted, but do you believe once Murray wins one, two will be much easier?

I also don't see why so many people (the more objective fans ) are picking Mr. Djokovic for RG 12 over Nadal and/or Federer.
Djokovic has never made a final there (sort of like Murray never winning a slam...), even in his best year while on tremendous confidence building unbeaten streak. So what is it that makes one believe he will do it this year? Gut feeling?

Respectfully,
masterclass

Because if murray is in nole's half at the french, nole is getting to at least the finals in this situation where he would be the big favorite against nadal due to his domination of the last 7 finals. If he draws federer in his half than it gets interesting. Last year the conditions were perfect for fed's upset with the faster clay with the new babolat balls and roger was serving great while djokovic had an unusual walkover; all things that could only be to fed's advantage not to mention the crowd support. If he plays djokovic again, I don't see him playing at that level bc I feel they may "adjust" the speed of the babolot balls to some degree or the clay may be slower and i feel a grueling match will work against fed at this point in his career but with the crowd behind and roger playing well so far this year gaining confidence and knowing he beat nole last year who really knows.

Djokovic was under a lot of pressure last year with his win streak, chance to be number 1, and being sort of out of a rhythm to some degree im sure but he still played very well. I just think djokvic takes it this time which im fine with because he will stop nadal from winning another french. Although, there will be some pressure as he will be going for a 4th slam in a row that's why it'll be a great match to watch.

Now if nole-fed play in wimbledon. Advantage fed clearly.
FedvsNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #33
country flag Ibracadabra

Ibracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond repute

Del potro.

David Nalbandian
Ibracadabra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #34
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa wins RG

Nole wins Wimbledon & USO and therefore wins this...

Fed wins Olympic gold and retires.

Murray wins AO & USO 2013.
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #35
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

djoker won't tolerate the federer sycophants nadal and murray. VIOLENT BACKHAND ASSASSIN WILL DOMINATE EVERYONE AGAIN
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #36
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Granted, but do you believe once Murray wins one, two will be much easier?
To be honest, I just don't get a "Slam Champion" vibe from Murray. I could easily see him winning one slam and struggling to make it past the 4th round in the slams that follow (complacency, maybe?) Of course I could be wrong and he could go on a little slam tear of his own. He's going to have to prove me wrong because I don't see it.....at all. His temperament and technique just don't impress.

Quote:
I also don't see why so many people (the more objective fans ) are picking Mr. Djokovic for RG 12 over Nadal and/or Federer.
Djokovic has never made a final there (sort of like Murray never winning a slam...), even in his best year while on tremendous confidence building unbeaten streak. So what is it that makes one believe he will do it this year? Gut feeling?

Respectfully,
masterclass
I just have a feeling. After all, Djokovic never made a Wimbledon final before last year and ended up winning the whole thing (and I never expected him to win Wimbledon before RG). I think he'll be incredibly motivated this year to complete his career slam, especially given the manner in which he failed to do it last year.
MIMIC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #37
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
because Djokovic was the best player on clay last year and also the best in Roland-Garros imo, the fact that he lost a very tight great match against Federer doesn't change that for me. Why be that focused on one result ?

He has lost the last 3 slams without looking that great before playing Nadal in the final yet he beat Nadal every time, and with quite some ease. And clay or not doesn't change that much for me : last year he beat Nadal more easily on clay than on other surfaces.

Yet, it was last year. This year might be different, physically especially, as the results of Nadal's and in a lesser extent Djokovic's depend first of all on their physical condition, esp Nadal.

This "gut feeling" is the only reason why I pick Nadal : reason for me would pick Djokovic, it's the opposite of what you think.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #38
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

i think this year will be just like the rankings
AO - 1 - Djokovic
FO - 2 - Nadal
WB - 3 - Federer
UO - 4 - Murray
cause i think Murray will be at his peak post WB 2012 season winning one of the Canada/cinci masters too
But for masters i see a winner somewhere outside of the top 4 i'm SURE mark my words !
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #39
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

i have a feeling delpo will pull off the channel slam this year.
ossie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #40
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
To be honest, I just don't get a "Slam Champion" vibe from Murray. I could easily see him winning one slam and struggling to make it past the 4th round in the slams that follow (complacency, maybe?) Of course I could be wrong and he could go on a little slam tear of his own. He's going to have to prove me wrong because I don't see it.....at all. His temperament and technique just don't impress.

I just have a feeling. After all, Djokovic never made a Wimbledon final before last year and ended up winning the whole thing (and I never expected him to win Wimbledon before RG). I think he'll be incredibly motivated this year to complete his career slam, especially given the manner in which he failed to do it last year.
Fair enough on both counts. Thanks.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #41
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
because Djokovic was the best player on clay last year and also the best in Roland-Garros imo, the fact that he lost a very tight great match against Federer doesn't change that for me. Why be that focused on one result ?

He has lost the last 3 slams without looking that great before playing Nadal in the final yet he beat Nadal every time, and with quite some ease. And clay or not doesn't change that much for me : last year he beat Nadal more easily on clay than on other surfaces.

Yet, it was last year. This year might be different, physically especially, as the results of Nadal's and in a lesser extent Djokovic's depend first of all on their physical condition, esp Nadal.

This "gut feeling" is the only reason why I pick Nadal : reason for me would pick Djokovic, it's the opposite of what you think.
Hmm, well obviously we see it differently
I think that calling Mr. Djokovic the best player at Roland Garros last year is at best denial, or wishful thinking.
How can he be called the best player there when he advanced 2 rounds with a retirement and a walkover, beat a still out of shape del Potro in the 3rd round, and the under-performing Gasquet (never past the 3rd round in 7 previous attempts), and lost in the semis to Federer in 4 sets? Federer was good enough when he needed to be. He had a 2 set love lead and as he did most of the year, dropped his level for a bit, and made it closer than it should have been.

Djokovic has never had results past the semis at RG because there were simply at least 2 players better then he at RG.
There is no shame in losing to Nadal (perhaps the best player at Roland Garros in the Open Era - 45-1 match record) or Federer (1 win, 4 finals).

Mr. Djokovic clearly had the most favorable circumstances that he will ever have going into the tournament. I believe he only did as well as he did there and on clay last year, because he had supreme confidence going into those events from his continuous winning streak. As some other players have sometimes done, he thrives and survives on confidence and boldness to overcome other shortcomings. Even with his first loss at RG, his confidence was not daunted too much, as it was only one loss and to Federer. So Djokovic was able to go on and even do better things (including winning Wimbledon and the US Open - I'm sure Mr. Federer might question if Djokovic was the best player at the US Open, but winning an event is usually the best argument ).

Finally, how does 2 clay masters wins equal the best player on clay last year? Because in those 2 wins he beat the great clay King, Nadal? Nadal is not infallible on clay, especially in Madrid - 2 wins in 9. Nadal still won a clay masters, a 500 and RG, and the clay King for the year in most minds is whomever wins Roland Garros. It's pure conjecture to assume he would have beaten Nadal if he had somehow managed to get by Federer. We just don't know.

All of that said, could Djokovic somehow make it to the finals for the first time this year and win? Sure, anything is possible.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #42
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I would not like it, I would much prefer Djokovic (and I don't think Nadal is better than Djokovic on clay when Djokovic is at his best), but I have the unpleasant feeling that this year feels good for Nadal, I don't know the general atmosphere reminds me of 2010, even year like 2010, Djokovic making lots of unforced errors against Murray last saturday, general level of tennis being quite disappointing with some older players getting bad (I don't speak of Federer but players further in the rankings) and no newcomers like in 2010, Federer playing too much imo to be fit for Wimbledon, Murray still has to learn from Lendl to be more mentally ready imo

... and what has Nadal done in february ? he's a raging guy who wants to win win win and now revenge ...

Then I can imagine Nadal winning RG and Wimbledon this year.

But I will ardently support Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro ... and of course Federer, esp in Wimbledon
you don't think that Nadal at his best on clay is better than Djokovic at his best on clay ...... it's at that point that I realized you are insane

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #43
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
nadal

forget about the french open.....it's going to be a straight sets victory in the final.....whenever he won the french final in straight sets, he went onto win wimbledon as well.....
start da game prophesying the future

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #44
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
start da game prophesying the future
winning montecarlo, barcelona and rome will prepare him for top flight tennis at roland garros.....he might lose a couple of sets enroute to the final adjusting to the red hardcourts and near zero spin babolat balls but come finals he will triumph in straights.....
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #45
country flag OnlyOneGOAT
Banned!

OnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyOneGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

RG is a toss up between Nole and Nadal. Obviously Fed has zero chance to beat Nadal there but he can give Nole fits so we all know that Nadal would love to have Fed-Djokovic on the same side of the bracket. Federer has a chance though at the French because he could get hot between now and then, pick up a lot of points and Nadal may not defend the huge total he has to defend in order to stay at #2. If this happens, theres a chance that Nadal and Djokovic could meet in the semis and the Serb knocks off Rafa.

Wimbledon is in the air between all 3. Murray is in the mix at Flushing Meadows but I consider him a long shot at Roland Garros because his clay court pedigree is limited and because he plays his worst tennis in London since he feels a tremendous amount of pressure there.

Nadal and Djokovic have an excellent shot at winning two in a row since they're heavy favorites to win the French and obviously big time contenders at Wimbledon as well but I really think that Federer will win Wimbledon this year which gives him an excellent chance at winning two in a row considering how good he is at Flushing Meadows

My Prediction:

French Open: Djokovic

Wimbledon: Federer

USO: Federer or Djokovic

Not giving Murray a slam again because he's only a contender at 2 of them and one of them is already done. Not giving Nadal a slam because I don't think he'll figure out the Djokovic puzzle any time soon.
OnlyOneGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote