"Swedish player with a very good volley" - who is it? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Swedish player with a very good volley" - who is it?

With that description how long would it take for people to guess that someone was referring to Edberg? Given the serve & volley fans on MTF I imagine not that long...

Now watch Rafa from 0:25 onwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QXsL7dsZMJQ

Love the guy but it's hilarious how long it takes him to remember who gave him his RG trophies. Struggles with "another Swedish player" later too. Was fastest with Zidane which seems fitting - he plays tennis but enjoys watching football more...
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Swedish player with a very good volley" - who is it?

He might have been trying to recall that moment, not necessarily thinking about what he was suggested.

Anyway not the best from Rafa

with cheap media love and fawners praising who didn't win slams

it must have been good to be a Swiss?

but chokers are always present in slam draws, wearing orange shoes and gold handbags
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Now these are the nights I am going to remember
Dead Net Cord is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
country flag Roddickominator

Roddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond repute

This is no surprise. Rafa really has very limited knowledge on most subjects....he only knows what Uncle Toni wants him to know. He has probably never watched an Edberg match in his life, Uncle Toni thinks it would scar him and make him want to serve and volley a little bit.
Roddickominator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddickominator View Post
This is no surprise. Rafa really has very limited knowledge on most subjects....he only knows what Uncle Toni wants him to know. He has probably never watched an Edberg match in his life, Uncle Toni thinks it would scar him and make him want to serve and volley a little bit.
He doesn't have limited knowledge - he's just not an obsessed fan of old school tennis. He likes the brand of tennis he grew up playing and watching - no surprise he likes Keurten, Moya, Federer etc. more than the Beckers & Edbergs - that's alien to him. And really, how many 25 year olds have watched Edberg matches? Not many I imagine. The guy was at his best when Rafa was less than 10 years old - not usual to be compulsively watching tennis matches at that age - you play the sport you enjoy and see where it goes. He's more a football fanatic anyway...

And in this video he probably was trying to just remember visually who it was. He forgot who gave it to him in 2010 too even though this interview was at 2011 RG - to me it also highlights how out of it these players are at these events - at that point he was probably so happy/relieved that he wouldn't have blinked if it was Fed handing over the trophy.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
country flag Roddickominator

Roddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
He doesn't have limited knowledge - he's just not an obsessed fan of old school tennis.
As if it has to be one or the other. Guarantee you there are plenty of non-obsessed fans of tennis who know who Edberg is. Everything Nadal knows is filtered by his Uncle. It has made him a tennis machine, but not a very well-rounded or intelligent guy.

Quote:
He likes the brand of tennis he grew up playing and watching - no surprise he likes Keurten, Moya, Federer etc. more than the Beckers & Edbergs - that's alien to him.
Truly unfortunate.

Quote:
And in this video he probably was trying to just remember visually who it was. He forgot who gave it to him in 2010 too even though this interview was at 2011 RG - to me it also highlights how out of it these players are at these events - at that point he was probably so happy/relieved that he wouldn't have blinked if it was Fed handing over the trophy.
Why make sad excuses for him like this? I know it probably makes you feel better to think that Rafa is something that he isn't, but be real for a minute here. He just isn't a very bright guy. And that is okay, but don't make excuses for him trying to pretend things like "he was just trying to remember visually who it was". That is just laughable.
Roddickominator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
country flag Ash86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddickominator View Post
Why make sad excuses for him like this? I know it probably makes you feel better to think that Rafa is something that he isn't, but be real for a minute here. He just isn't a very bright guy. And that is okay, but don't make excuses for him trying to pretend things like "he was just trying to remember visually who it was". That is just laughable.
Well that's your opinion. In my opinion he's incredibly insightful and very thoughtful for his age. Not many other 25 year old sporting superstars sound as mature or have as good a perspective about life as he does. There's absolutely nothing to suggest he isn't intelligent - a bad memory doesn't mean you're not bright. Sure he's naive about certain things but given that he's been a professional since he was 15 and on tour for 10 years I think he's turned out darn well.

I found the interview funny and endearing. Hopefully he'll have a 7th person to remember this year (though I hope it's Borg again).