1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc. - Page 56 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #826
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

Francis took the third place match over Kumar in three sets and Nathan Ponwith won the consolation draw beating Taylor Fritz for the second time.
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #827
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB View Post
Still, there are tools to work with. He has a chance.

I wonder about Paul. He seems like the anti-DeVine. Very steady, but does he have the tools to compete at higher levels?
There are many big guys with the tools, or as we like to call it "potential". But rarely do they come to fruition b/c of the lack of good movement, footwork, and groundies. I don't really want to get my hope up with these type of players anymore. Too many disappointments in the past. I rather have juniors with good footwork and ball-striking.

As for Paul, his ceiling is probably not as high as DeVine. Probably needs to see more, kinda hard to judge based on this match due to the lack of long consistent rallies.

But there is no doubt that the players in the 18s Championships Final are at a much much higher level than these two especially in the ground game.

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #828
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
There are many big guys with the tools, or as we like to call it "potential". But rarely do they come to fruition b/c of the lack of good movement, footwork, and groundies. I don't really want to get my hope up with these type of players anymore. Too many disappointments in the past. I rather have juniors with good footwork and ball-striking.

As for Paul, his ceiling is probably not as high as DeVine. Probably needs to see more, kinda hard to judge based on this match due to the lack of long consistent rallies.

But there is no doubt that the players in the 18s Championships Final are at a much much higher level than these two especially in the ground game.
There's also been no shortage of consistent, mobile baseliners who have fallen off the map after having impressive results at some point in their junior careers. Guys like Kellen Damico, Ryan Thacher, Brennan Boyajian, and James Seal are a few who come to mind. I'm not sure you will experience less disappointment by putting your faith in that group over the big hitters.

I didn't see the 18s final. How did Altamirano look? He didn't scream "future pro" to me against Brymer.

Last edited by SHB : 08-12-2013 at 02:56 AM.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #829
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's also been no shortage of consistent, mobile baseliners who have fallen off the map after having impressive results at some point in their junior careers. Guys like Kellen Damico, Ryan Thacher, Brennan Boyajian, and James Seal are a few who come to mind. I'm not sure you will experience less disappointment by putting your faith in that group over the big hitters.

I didn't see the 18s final. How did Altamirano look? He didn't scream "future pro" to me against Brymer.
Don't get me wrong, I like big hitters but prefer the types that can strike the ball well. I'm not fond of those that can't rally more than 2-3 balls and have no backhands. A lot of the big guys, particularly the Americans, that have the big serve and forehand combo tend to be satisfied with their assets and neglect other parts of the game. If you look at the best players, they all have superb ground game and are solid in almost every department. I like to watch good rallies more than a 1-2-3 punch combo. The European and South American players are much more exciting to watch b/c of their versatility. And I also prefer players under 6'4, tall players tend to be immobile.

Altamirano is a good counter puncher with decent variety. Consistent from the baseline, moves well, defends well, neutralizes the point well and can switch from defense to offense very quickly. Whether he screams "future pro" or not, he is pretty fun to watch (a lot of energy and good mentality).

Rhyne's Picture Thread

Last edited by SapELee : 08-12-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #830
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Valid point but of those guys only Boyajian is a relevant example.
Thacher never put half the effort into tennis that he put into academics.
Same story with Damico just substitute partying for academics.
Bo Seal got to the point where he totally hated playing tennis so one day he quit for good.
Boyajian had good junior results but never to the degree of Tommy Paul.

I think Chase Buchanan is a better example.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #831
country flag Smoke944

Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #832
country flag Smoke944

G1 International Hard Court Championship in Maryland, absolutely everyone in action here, packed field
Good luck guys.

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/tou...tid=1100029418
Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #833
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
G1 International Hard Court Championship in Maryland, absolutely everyone in action here, packed field
Good luck guys.

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/tou...tid=1100029418
Oh man, I can drive there! I might finally get to see a lot of these guys in person!!!

If I go, don't expect any high quality pics/videos from me though. The only camera I have is my phone...
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #834
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWahoo14 View Post
Oh man, I can drive there! I might finally get to see a lot of these guys in person!!!

If I go, don't expect any high quality pics/videos from me though. The only camera I have is my phone...
I want a documentary :P

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #835
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
I want a documentary :P
Unstrung part 2
Hopefully these 97-98 kids will be a lot more successful than the group from the film.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #836
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/15/BMD4.PDF

R2

Nikola MILOJEVIC (SRB) [1] d. Luke Jacob GAMBLE (USA) 6-3 6-4
Gabriel Vellinho HOCEVAR (BRA) d. Michael MMOH (USA) [14] 4-6 6-1 1-0 Retired
Ken ONISHI (JPN) [10] d. William BUSHAMUKA (COD) 6-3 6-3
Roman SAFIULLIN (RUS) [6] d. Thomas N. MAYRONNE (USA) (WC) 6-4 6-2

Stefan KOZLOV (USA) [4] (WC) d. William BLUMBERG (USA) 6-4 6-2
Simon Friis SOENDERGAARD (DEN) [13] d. Rogelio SILLER (MEX) 6-2 2-6 6-2
Bradley MOUSLEY (AUS) [12] d. Daniel KERZNERMAN (USA) 6-1 1-6 6-1
Naoki NAKAGAWA (JPN) [7] d. Alejandro TABILO (CAN) 7-5 7-5

Adrian ORTIZ (MEX) d. Harry BOURCHIER (AUS) [8] 2-6 6-1 6-4
Luca CORINTELI (USA) [9] d. Julian ZLOBINSKY (USA) 6-2 6-3
Gerardo LOPEZ VILLASENOR (MEX) d. Tommy PAUL (USA) 6-3 3-6 7-5
Yoshihito NISHIOKA (JPN) [3] d. Jordi ARCONADA (ARG) 6-0 6-2

Nicolas JARRY (CHI) [5] d. Jake DEVINE (USA) (WC) 6-4 6-1
Rafael MATOS (BRA) [11] d. Brian CERNOCH (USA) (Q) 6-0 6-2
Henrik WIERSHOLM (USA) d. Francis TIAFOE (USA) [15] 6-7(3) 6-2 6-2
Daniil MEDVEDEV (RUS) [2] d. Evan ZHU (USA) (WC) 6-4 7-5

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #837
country flag Smoke944

Really hope Michael's not injured and going to miss the upcoming tournaments.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #838
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nikola MILOJEVIC (SRB) [1] d. Gabriel Vellinho HOCEVAR (BRA) 6-4 6-2
Roman SAFIULLIN (RUS) [6] d. Ken ONISHI (JPN) [10] 6-2 6-3

Stefan KOZLOV (USA) [4] (WC) d. Simon Friis SOENDERGAARD (DEN) [13] 6-4 6-3
Bradley MOUSLEY (AUS) [12] d. Naoki NAKAGAWA (JPN) [7] 7-5 7-6(8)

Luca CORINTELI (USA) [9] d. Adrian ORTIZ (MEX) 6-7(7) 6-4 6-4
Yoshihito NISHIOKA (JPN) [3] d. Gerardo LOPEZ VILLASENOR (MEX) 6-3 6-3

Nicolas JARRY (CHI) [5] d. Rafael MATOS (BRA) [11] 6-3 6-4
Daniil MEDVEDEV (RUS) [2] d. Henrik WIERSHOLM (USA) 6-3 6-2

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #839
country flag PTWahoo14

I saw a good part of Henrik's match today. He's so talented and such a good ball striker. What's really unfortunate is his size; it's a huge limiter. In today's match he could rally just fine with the Russian, but he was forced to stay a good 5 feet behind the baseline. And because he's so undersized, he just can't hit any winners from there. On top of that, does he have a net game or any sort of variety? All I saw from him was to be content slugging it out from the back. His shots are nice, but just not quite powerful enough to be so one dimensional. On the other hand, I still really like him and think he'll do excellent in college. I haven't seen many college guys hit with the quality he already possesses.

Stefan was full of variety and change of pace like the usual. One thing that impressed me was how cleanly he hit the ball. It sounded like everything just perfectly hit the sweet spot. His game is just so refreshing to watch. Stefan's opponent had some really great results this year so I thought it'd be a closer match but he handled business pretty well. It was a pretty routine day. The point of the match however went to Soendergaard who turned defense into offense with a nice low tweener and won the point.

And Luca has an ATOMIC BOMB of a first serve. That thing must be in the mid 130s. I think he may end up being a doubles champ at UVA when all is said and done because his volleys are pretty sound too.

I didn't see Jarry unfortunately. If he survives until friday I might go back to watch again.

Last edited by PTWahoo14 : 08-22-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #840
country flag Smoke944

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWahoo14 View Post
I saw a good part of Henrik's match today. He's so talented and such a good ball striker. What's really unfortunate is his size; it's a huge limiter. In today's match he could rally just fine with the Russian, but he was forced to stay a good 5 feet behind the baseline. And because he's so undersized, he just can't hit any winners from there. On top of that, does he have a net game or any sort of variety? All I saw from him was to be content slugging it out from the back. His shots are nice, but just not quite powerful enough to be so one dimensional. On the other hand, I still really like him and think he'll do excellent in college. I haven't seen many college guys hit with the quality he already possesses.
My exact thoughts when I watched him on the Kzoo stream.