1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc. - Page 54 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #796
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Reading that the first thing that came to mind was Devin Britton serving and volleying his way to a huge upset over Tomic in the 2008 USO juniors. Very similar situations in a lot of ways.
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #797
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

Quote:
Stunning and extremely disappointing. This tournament is wide open now.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #798
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB View Post
Stunning and extremely disappointing. This tournament is wide open now.
I thought Rubin would win before the start and I'm sticking to it.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #799
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
I thought Rubin would win before the start and I'm sticking to it.
I'd peg him as the favorite now. I thought Kozlov would win it.

I'm hoping that this proves to be a launching pad for Shropshire. Maybe he's a lot better than people think.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #800
country flag Smoke944

Will Blumberg lost in the second round. Good that he is back on court and hopefully his injury problems are behind him.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #801
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Reading that the first thing that came to mind was Devin Britton serving and volleying his way to a huge upset over Tomic in the 2008 USO juniors. Very similar situations in a lot of ways.
You know, during the Przysiezny match at Newport I kept think Stefan's passing shots were very subpar on the day and would be eaten alive by someone who loves to volley. Looks like he got caught on a bad day and his rather large and athletic looking opponent had a feast at the net.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #802
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

5th Round 16s

Sameer Kumar vs Connor Hance
Catalin Mateas vs Jordi Arconada
Jake Devine vs Alexandr Lebedev or Cameron Klinger
Kalman Boyd vs Michael Lorenzini

Reilly Opelka vs Nathan Ponwith
Jacob Hansen vs Tommy Paul
Chase Colton vs Zeke Clark
Daniel Gealer vs Francis Tiafoe

Players that I would like to see taking the title: Ponwith, Paul, or Tiafoe . If Jordi Arconada wins, does he get the Jr.USO wildcard even though he doesn't represent the USA?

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485

Last edited by SapELee : 08-06-2013 at 11:26 PM.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #803
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Henrik is still alive in the 18s, will play Ernesto Escobedo in the 5th round. This is a rematch of the Easter Bowl 16s (I think) where Escobedo came out on top. Henrik will be at a physical disadvantage, but let's see how he does (hopefully better scoreline this time around).

Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #804
country flag Smoke944

Quote:
I am extremely impressed with 14 y.o. John McNally, playing the 16s: http://ustaboys.secantnet.net/

Good serve, good forehand, solid backhand.
Definitely will root for him in the future due to the fact that he's from Ohio. Not many really good players come out of the Midwest.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #805
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Definitely will root for him in the future due to the fact that he's from Ohio. Not many really good players come out of the Midwest.
He could have won that match had he play some percentage tennis. Very aggressive and liked to run around the backhand. He has a very nice forehand though. Definitely a player I will keep an eye on.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #806
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...28ZooTennis%29

Quote:
Tiafoe had finished his 6-3, 7-5 win over No. 26 seed Daniel Gealer just minutes before another heavy rain shower delayed play for another two hours, with players returning to court around 5:10 p.m. This time barely a point was played on the seven courts in progress when another storm arrived and at 5:50 p.m. main draw play was cancelled for the day, with the area receiving more than two inches of precipitation in 12 hours.

Tiafoe was fortunate to finish, but Reilly Opelka, the No. 9 seed in the 16s was not, as he was serving for the match at 5-4 in the second set against No. 21 seed Nathan Ponwith when the 3 p.m. storm came and he was not able to finish before play was suspended and ultimately cancelled.

Boys 16s third seed Tommy Paul won the first set 7-5 in his match with unseeded Jacob Hansen; Ernesto Escobedo, the No. 5 seed in the 18s, led 2012 16s champion Henrik Wiersholm 6-3, 3-1; Boys 18s No. 6 seed Luca Corinteli took the first set from No. 17 seed Henry Craig, and unseeded Logan Staggs won the first set from 18s No. 20 seed William Griffith in a tiebreaker. Samuel Shropshire and Trevor Johnson, both unseeded in the 18s, were early in the first set, and No. 24 seed Zeke Clark had won the first set from No. 12 seed Chase Colton.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #807
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

5th Round 16s

Sameer Kumar d. Connor Hance 6-2, 6-1
Jordi Arconada d. Catalin Mateas 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
Jake Devine d. Alexandr Lebedev 6-3, 6-4
Kalman Boyd d. Michael Lorenzini 6-2, 6-0

Reilly Opelka d. Nathan Ponwith 6-3, 6-4
Tommy Paul d. Jacob Hansen 7-5, 6-4
Zeke Clark d. Chase Colton 6-3, 6-0
Francis Tiafoe d. Daniel Gealer 6-3, 7-5

Quarterfinals

Sameer Kumar vs Jordi Arconada
Jake Devine vs Kalman Boyd
Reilly Opelka vs Tommy Paul (battle of best friends)
Zeke Clark vs Francis Tiafoe

http://ustaboys.com/draws.html?c=dra...ound=4&match=0

Old 08-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #808
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Henrik plays Stefan again in the Kalamazoo backdraw. Koz, coming off a nice win over Mackenzie Macdonald in a super tiebreak. Will Henrik FINALLY get the win over his rival?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #809
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The question is, does he believe he can win or is he already mentally scarred?

Too bad I can't watch Francis' match. My tablet won't load the stream and I'm not at home.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #810
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Kumar d.Arconada 60 63
Devin d. Boyd 64 63
Paul d. Opelka 64 67(3) 62
Tiafoe d. Zeke 63 76(4)

Paul v Tiafoe, I'm torn

Last edited by SapELee : 08-10-2013 at 01:44 PM.