1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc. - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #46
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

Quote:
The 14s champions did not face the same challenges in terms of scheduling, having completed their semifinals on Friday, but the wind was also a problem for their morning matches.

William Blumberg, the No. 14 seed, didn't let it bother him, however, as he rolled to a 6-2, 6-1 win over No. 2 seed Kyle Seelig.

"I tried to not really worry about the conditions," said Blumberg, who lives in Greenwich, Conn. and trains at the USTA's National Center in Flushing Meadows. "The wind started to come up during my match, and instead of fighting it, I just used it by hitting kick serves wide with the wind and pulling him off the court. I thought I used the wind pretty well."

Blumberg won eight games in a row, taking a 4-0 lead in the second set before Seelig held. If there was any chance for Seelig to reverse the momentum it was in the sixth game, but Blumberg saved three break points to quash Seelig's hopes for a comeback.

"He sliced his backhand a lot, kept it low to my backhand and I was just missing a lot," said Pennsylvanian Seeling, who had not lost a set in the tournament until today. "The wind bothered me a little bit, but he just didn't miss."

Blumberg's plan was similar to the one he used to oust top seed Anudeep Kodali in Friday's semifinals.

"My strategy was to kind of get him off his game with high deep loopy balls," said Blumberg, 14. "He likes pace and I didn't give him much of any pace, so that kind of threw him off a little bit I think."

Although Blumberg was excited about his first Easter Bowl title and second gold ball, he ranks his win over Michael Mmoh in the semifinals of January's Les Petits As as his biggest victory in his young career. Blumberg, Mmoh and Frances Tiafoe will be traveling together again in a few days, representing the US in the ITF World Junior Team competition qualifying in Mexico.-zootennis
Great to see them team up again .

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube: youtube.com/SapELee485
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #47
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #48
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

U.S. teams announced for international competitions
Quote:
The USTA announced the top American juniors who will represent the United States in the Junior Davis Cup (16-and-under) and Junior Fed Cup (16-and-under) by BNP Paribas and the World Junior Tennis Competition (14-and-under) North/Central American and Caribbean Championships. Each event features a four-team, round-robin competition, April 26-28, in Merida, Mexico. Other nations participating include Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.

The top two teams from each division in the North/Central American and Caribbean Championships in Mexico will advance to the 16-nation World Final. The World Junior Tennis World Final will be held Aug. 13-18 in Prostejov, Czech Republic, while the Junior Davis Cup and Junior Fed Cup World Finals will be held Sept. 25-30 in Barcelona, Spain.

Junior Davis Cup
Jared Donaldson, Cumberland, R.I.
Ernesto Escobedo, West Covina, Calif.
Stefan Kozlov, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
Coach: Nicolas Todero

World Junior Tennis - Boys
William Blumberg, Greenwich, Conn.
Michael Mmoh, Temple Hills, Md
Frances Tiafoe, College Park, Md.
Coach: Ricardo Acuna
Congrats to Stefan, Will, Michael, and Francis for making their respective team.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #49
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm surprised that Wiersholm didn't make the team; wonder if his ankle injury is still bothering him. Also notice that he pulled out of the Daytona ITF . Hope he is okay .

Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #50
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

ZooTennis:

Quote:
"There's news in who is not named too, of course. Henrik Weirsholm and Noah Rubin would certainly have been considered for the Junior Davis Cup team, but both suffered injuries at the Easter Bowl."
So you're right, yeah. Too bad because that would be an absurdly good team for this, especially with Noah and also considering it's an U16 competition.
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #51
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke944 View Post
ZooTennis:

So you're right, yeah. Too bad because that would be an absurdly good team for this, especially with Noah and also considering it's an U16 competition.
No, not Noah too . Hope it's not serious b/c he is scheduled to compete in Europe next month.

On the other hand, I'm curious on how Escobedo will do.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #52
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

More good video of Stefan

Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #53
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

^ Thanks for sharing the video.

Results from the Junior Davis Cup vs Mexico
Stefan KOZLOV [USA] def. Kevin Jack CARPENTER [MEX] 7-5 4-6 6-1

Link to thread in Junior Subforum here.

Results from the World Junior Tennis vs Canada
Frances TIAFOE def. Benjamin SIGOUIN [CAN] 6-3 6-1
Michael MMOH def. Dylan BEDNARCZYK [CAN] 6-0 6-1
Michael MMOH/William BLUMBERG def. Dylan BEDNARCZYK/Benjamin SIGOUIN [CAN] 6-3 6-3

Tough opening match for Stefan there. By the way, how you spell Tiafoe's first name? Some sites go by Francis and others go by Frances .

Old 04-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #54
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #55
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Day 2: Junior Davis Cup/WJT Regional Qualification

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 0 - 3 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Jared DONALDSON [USA] def. Manuel CASTELLANOS [DOM] 6-2 6-2
Stefan KOZLOV [USA] def. Juan BISONO [DOM] 6-2 6-4
Jared DONALDSON/ERNESTO ESCOBEDO [USA] def. Juan BISONO/Manuel RODRIGUEZ [DOM] 6-0 6-0

COSTA RICA 0 - 3 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Frances TIAFOE [USA] def. Eduardo CAMACHO [CRC] 6-1 6-0
Michael MMOH [USA] def. Gonzalo ADIS [CRC] 6-0 6-1
Frances TIAFOE/William BLUMBERG [USA] def. Gonzalo ADIS/Daniel GONZALEZ [CRC] 6-3 6-2

Great to see our guys doing well, but the field is kinda pathetic though.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #56
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Day 3: Junior Davis Cup/WJT Regional Qualification

CANADA 0 - 3 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
ERNESTO ESCOBEDO [USA] def. Harrison SCOTT [CAN] 6-1 6-2
Jared DONALDSON [USA] [/b]def. David VOLFSON [CAN] 6-3 6-2
Jared DONALDSON/ERNESTO ESCOBEDO [USA] def. Harrison SCOTT/Olivier GINGRAS [CAN] 4-6 6-4 6-2

Congrats to Team USA for advancing to the Final in Spain. (Final Standings)

MEXICO 0 - 3 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
William BLUMBERG [USA] def. Edgar CHICUREL [MEX] 6-1 6-3
Jesus Santiago SUAREZ RIVAS [MEX] def. Michael MMOH [USA] DEFAULTED
Michael MMOH/William BLUMBERG [USA] def. Jesus Santiago SUAREZ RIVAS/Jorge NUNEZ FELIX [MEX] 6-0 6-0

Congrats to the Boys 14 as well: Final Standing. Seriously, what is up with the default?

Also congrats to the Girls 14 and Girls 16 on advancing as well .

Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #57
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Link

Left to right: Coach Nicolas Todero, Kozlov, Donaldson, Escobedo, Blumberg, Mmoh, Tiafoe, and coach Ricardo Acuna I think.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #58
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Plantation ITF

Originally Wiersholm withdrew his name from the tournament, but he is now entered with a wildcard. Nava is also in the maindraw. Other names of interest: Jake Devine and Cameron Klinger.

Full Draw: http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/15/BSMD.pdf

Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #59
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mmoh is in the USA F13 Q. Will play Elliot Carnello in the 1st round. I don't think you are ready for this level yet Michael, but good luck and try your best .

Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #60
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Michael Mmoh USA F13:
Q1 def. CARNELLO, Elliot (SWE) 6-0 Ret.
Q2 def. ZHVANIA, Zurab (GEO) 6-2 2-6 7-5
Q3 vs. KOTSYUK, Aleksandr (UKR)

Keep it up Michael